Beginning of Summer

Tending the Roses

Hyorin didn't know why she had to share her lunch at the community garden with two complete strangers who claimed to know Myungsoo. She gave them an odd look, and they returned her look with a fake smile. Of course, Hyorin ignored them and continued to eat the cold sandwich she was left with to eat. When she looked back at the plastic bag, she realized that the two strangers took her only can of soda.

"Hey!" Hyorin exclaimed, hearing the lever snap open. The two older students gave her a stare. "I don't know who you are, but return that soda!"

"How disrespectful," the female muttered, giving the can. "Couldn't you just share? If I were your teacher, I'd give you minus fifty points."

"Yoona, don't be rude. She did buy it with her own money, after all," the male said.

"But Taecyeon, these kids need to learn who's in charge! Society's getting more corrupt, you know?" Yoona said with a pout.

"This isn't teaching them a lesson--It's called bullying," Taecyeon told her, flicking her forehead. She flinched and grumbled on about middle school students. On the other hand, Taecyeon look up at Hyorin and gave her an apologetic gaze. "I'm sorry, but we haven't had a proper introduction."

Finally! A well-mannered guy! Hyorin thought, pleased with where this was going.

Taecyeon cleared his throat. "What's your name?"

Her positive thoughts of Taecyeon crashed down back to level one. "Call me Hyorin. You two?"

"Ok Taecyeon, and she's Im Yoona. We're high school students, waiting for the guy who takes care of the flowers."

"You mean Myungsoo?"

"Yeah..." Taecyeon slowly chewed on his sushi roll. "That Myungsoo..."

Yoona frowned. "Sorry, he doesn't really like Myungsoo for some dumb reason that I don't even know."

Taecyeon shot her an offended look. "For your information, it's not like I know why I don't like him."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

He shrugged his shoulders and quietly finished his food. Hyorin gave them an odd stare. She continued to watch Taecyeon and Yoona bicker, and noticed their awfully close skin ship. The curious female paused a second more, then slowly raised her finger.

"Are you two... dating?" Hyorin asked.

Yoona choked on her own spit while Taecyeon felt his heart skip a beat.

"N-No!" Yoona stuttered, shaking her head. "Never. We are just childhood friends. Nothing more, nothing less. Right?"

"O-Of course," Taecyeon agreed, nodding his head. The two remained quiet, waiting for something or someone to change the conversation. Why did they both stutter? That was unusual, especially when disccusing about their relationship. Their thoughts on being friends and just friends were firm enough.

I must be getting tired of this, Yoona believed.

"So if you two are not dating, and if you're just friends... Do you guys harbor feelings for each other?" Hyorin questioned them.

Yoona and Taecyeon stared at each other. That was a question that they never considered. Did they have feelings for each other? No, right? They definitely knew that they were just friends, but did the latter love them to that extent?

Taecyeon was the first to speak. "Uh, yeah. I guess friend feelings. Right, Yoona?"

Disappointment ran through her blood. "Um, I think so."

"Are you sure?" Hyorin inquired, pushing the question even further. Yoona couldn't understand her. Where was this conversation going?

"Yeah... We're sure," Yoona said. "We're best friends. I don't think we're going to go through that kind of relationship. I mean, I can list tons of flaws in Taecyeon."

"So can I!" Taecyeon added happily. 

"Oh yeah? Like what? I don't have any flaws!"

"Here's one: You take people's food without asking."

"You do that, too!"

"Okay, fine. You eat people's food without asking."

"Says that guy who took Changmin's candy."

"And you ate some, too--"

"Hyorin! I'm ba--" Taecyeon and Yoona looked up to see Myungsoo with Naeun. Myungsoo paused and bit his bottom lip. He turned to Naeun, whose eyes were (of course) on Taecyeon. Taecyeon groaned a bit when he saw Myungsoo, while Yoona remained delighted.

"Flower Boy! You're back!" Yoona cheered.

Flower Boy? When was I called 'Flower Boy'? Myungsoo wondered. "Um, yeah. Hello, Yoona. Taecyeon, good afternoon. I see you two met my cousin?"

Yoona's expression brightened. "Cousin? So she's not your girlfriend? Oh, thank goodness! I almost thought that you were replacing Naeun with Hyo--"

"Well, hey there, Son Naeun. It's wonderful to see you again," Hyorin interrupted, walking up to the youngest girl. Naeun faked a grin. Her thoughts were filled with murderous intentions, but seeing how Taecyeon stared at her made Naeun's mind melt.

"I really enjoy your company here, Hyorin. I heard you came back from America. How was it?" asked Naeun.

"Less humid than here." The guest paused, then smirked. "Though it was way more peaceful there than here."

Myungsoo heaved a sigh. It was always like this between Hyorin and Naeun. The two (for some unknown reason) never got along. He figured that it was some kind of a woman's rule to have a close enemy, but he was never sure. He did remember how if Hyorin wanted to do something, Naeun was forced to get along (since she was the oldest and she always made the decisions). Myungsoo never had trouble following Hyorin's orders, but Naeun was the type of girl who was stubborn and wanted to take over. A chuckle escaped Myungsoo's lips as he thought of the past. He walked over to a different patch of colored roses and began to water them. 

Yoona, who noticed how calm he remained, decided to accompany him. Although she wasn't sure why Hyorin and Nauen had the indirect argument, she was bored and wanted to do something. The high school student bent down next to Myungsoo, and watched the plants get sprinkled with water. The dry soil quenched its thirst, turning from a light shade of brown to almost black.

"Can I water them?" Yoona asked. Taecyeon's eyes rolled away from Naeun and Hyorin, and focused on Yoona. Myungsoo paused, then stared at the growing flowers.

"Um, not this time. I want to take care of these flowers especially well," Myungsoo said, rejecting her request. Yoona gave him an awkward nod, while Taecyeon pumped his fist.

"Why, though?" she questioned him.

"I'm hoping that if I take care of them well enough, I can get them to mature on the day of my graduation. Hopefully I can get some girls to help me out and decorate each flower to give off for the graduating class," Myungsoo explained, putting a small smile.

Yoona blinked her eyes. "Myungsoo, you're more girly than I thought."

His cheeks brightened. "Wha... What's this all about?"

"Taecyeon never cares about the class he's going to graduate with. He has his eyes on his own future. It's usually the first year or second year girls who decorate a gift and hand them to the graduating class," Yoona said, picking up some soil from the ground. She rubbed the moist dirt between her fingers. "Hey, can you do this for Taecyeon's graduation, too?"

"Are you going to give me a flower?" Taecyeon asked, hovering his head over Yoona's.

"Why not? They're beautiful."

"It's not manly."

"What are you talking about? Flowers can be manly. Look how strong they are in the winter!"

"Actually," Myungsoo interrupted, "during the winter, I'm going to gave to move these plants into that building. These roses aren't strong enough to handle themselves in the winter."

The two older kids stared at the beaten building behind the community garden. It was small and rather plain, and they didn't understand how the roses could grow in there. It looked like an abandoned home where no one wanting to touch its dull colors.

"It's super warm in there. Feel free to stop by and visit," Myungsoo added.

Taecyeon gasped. "That reminds me! Summer's coming soon."

Yoona groaned. "Ugh... I don't want to stay in the hot weather! There's no time to swim, we have to run in the heat for Physical Education... Summer ."

"Why? I think summer's nice," Taecyeon said with a small pout.

Naeun, who had finally won a conversation against Hyorin, stared at him with sparkly eyes. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw the bottom of his lips pop out like a puppy. Heat rushed to her pale cheeks, and she quickly ran over to his side, completely forgetting about Hyorin.

"Taecyon, are you planning to do anything during the summer?" Naeun asked, shyly playing with her index fingers.

"Mm... Not much. Study, tutor more kids, and hang out with Yoona and our friends. Why?" he asked.

Naeun cleared . "Well, during that short summer break, my family is planning to go camping. They said that I can invite three friends over. I was wondering if you wanted to come with me?"

"Sounds good," Taecyeon agreed, nodding his head. "When--"

He let out a cough when Yoona elbowed his ribs. He shot her a glare, but as he followed her stare, he noticed Myungsoo's dreaded expression. Remembering how Myungsoo had a crush on Naeun, Taecyeon bit his bottom lip in guilt.

"Uh... but I think Myungsoo should come with us, too!" he exclaimed, pulling Myungsoo closer to him.

I see no problem with that, Naeun thought. "Sure, okay. Myungsoo, you can come, too."

If I'm invited and Taecyeon's invited, I'll be the third wheel. I need someone to distract Taecyeon while I get closer to Naeun at camp! Myungsoo thought. In a flash, his eyes landed on Yoona.

"I'll go if Yoona goes!" Myungsoo declared.

Yoona let out a small laugh. "Me? Camp? No, I'm no good with camp. I hate the mosquitos flying around."

"Well, if Yoona's not going, then I'm not going," he said.

Taecyeon widened his eyes. "T-Then I won't go if Myungsoo doesn't come!"

Naeun gave the older lady a glare. "Fine, she can come, too."

"But I just said that I'm not good with camp--"

"You, my dearest friend," Taecyeon started, putting his hand over , "are joining us to this little camping trip during the summer. Ask your mom tonight, okay?"

Hyorin only stared at the four with a dumbfounded look, knowing that she was excluded from the conversation.

These guys, she thought, sighing. Are they really going to be okay?

With that, a strong wind had blown to change the courses of seasons, and the scorching summer heat rose over the mountains, warming up the delicate roses that shook silently in the moist atmosphere.