Community Garden

Tending the Roses

"That idiot, Taecyeon. Leaving me to go home alone. Ugh, how embarrassing," Yoona muttered, lost in her own world. Not only was she busy with her thoughts, but she also struggled to find the train station. She had walked aimlessly at different directions which seemed familiar, but always encountered a different road. She heaved a sigh and scratched her head as she looked among the streets.

I should just call Sooyoung and ask her for directions or something, she thought. She was about to fish out her phone when she remembered that Sooyoung lived close to the school and had her piano lessons. Yoona sighed and dropped her cell phone back into her bag. No, she's busy. Everyone else is busy. I'm all alone here.

She checked at her watch, which read five o'clock. Yoona began to whine and stomped her feet against the concrete.

"Are you serious? I spent an hour walking since school ended? At this rate, I'll never go home!" she complained.

"Idiot Naeun!" someone yelled. Yoona widened her eyes and stared around at the surroundings. There was nothing but old shops and a wired gate. She slowly walked over to the rusting gate, and found a middle school boy ripping the flowers off of its stem. Thinking that he was killing the plants, Yoona widened her eyes and pushed the gates open.

"Wait!" she exclaimed. The young boy dropped his shears and turned his head around, shocked to see another person. "Don't put your anger on the poor plants! What have they ever done to you? What's your name?"

The boy stood up and blinked his eyes innocently. "E-Excuse me?"

"I'm going to report you for killing the community garden--"

"Wait, wait!" the boy exclaimed, getting up. He dusted the dirt off of his school uniform. "M-My name is Kim Myungsoo and I go to Woolim Middle School. I-I'm a third-year, in class 3-A."

"Okay, but what're you doing here?" Yoona asked, crossing her arms.

Myungsoo bit his bottom lip. "I... I kind of help out with the gardening here. The old man who tended these roses passed away a few weeks ago, and I'm the one who's in charge of taking care of the flowers. I wasn't killing these flowers, too. I was angry, but I was just pruning them."

"Oh, I see," she mumbled. She stared at the plants and smiled. "Sorry for threatening you. These roses are very pretty! You must've taken care of them quite well."

Myungsoo chuckled a bit and grabbed the shears he had dropped. "I've been helping the old man out for several years. I used to steal flowers from here and gave them to my childhood friend. She used to help out a lot before, but lately she's been interested in school life."

"Aw, that's so sweet!" Yoona cooed. "Did you give them with a romantic purpose?"

He blushed and looked away. Yoona grinned and poked his arm, teasing him about his feelings towards his old friend.

"Hey..." Myungsoo paused, then gave Yoona a puzzled look. Knowing this type of expression, Yoona pointed at herself.

"Oh, my name is Yoona. Im Yoona, who attends JYP High School. I'm a first-year, and I'm currently lost," she said, introducing herself.

"Yoona," he repeated. "I'll remember that. So you're lost? Where were you headed?"

"The train station. Any idea where it is?" she asked.

"The train station? It's a twenty minute walk from here to the station. Do you want me to court you?" he offered.

"Twenty minutes? I was walking for a whole hour, and the station is twenty minutes away? Great, just great," she muttered. She pulled out a piece of paper and a pencil. "No, you don't have to court me. Instead, would you draw me a map of how to get from here to the station?"

"Sure. Do you want me to add your school, too?"

"Yes, please!"

Myungsoo took a few minutes drawing a rough sketch of where the locations were. After he was done, he handed it over to Yoona, who smiled with delight. She stared at the map, then blinked her eyes.

"Woah, this place is pretty far from my school," Yoona commented.

"Actually, it's a fourty minute walk. From my school, it's around a thirty to twenty minute walk."

"I see. Hey, not to be rude or anything, but a thought just came up to me. Is the person's name you were screaming earlier your childhood friend?" she asked, her eyes glowing with hope. Myungsoo's ears went red, but he had a disappointed expression on his face.

"Yeah, she is. We were supposed to go home together, but then she left early saying that I was 'late' by a minute," he exclaimed, sighing.

"A similar situation happened to me today!" Yoona exclaimed. "I was supposed to go home with my friend, but he had work so he told me to go first, even though it's my first day today."

Silence enveloped their conversation. Both of them sighed, depressed over how they were alone. Yoona stared at the plants, then at the map Myungsoo had drawn her.

"Hey, is it okay if I come tomorrow with my friend? I'm sure he'd love to see this," Yoona said.

Myungsoo smiled. "Sure, that's fine. Are you leaving now?"

"Mhm. I need to go somewhere, and I've been wasting my time looking for directions without any help. Thanks for the map! I'll be sure to keep it somewhere safe! Good bye!" Yoona said, waving her hand. Myungsoo smiled and waved back, watching her leave the garden. Then, he bent down near the rose bush and began to clip off the dead leaves, going back to muttering about how much of an idiot Naeun was.

 

It's five o'clock, Naeun thought, chewing on her bottom lip. When is that tutor going to come?

She had came home early just to see what kind of tutor she was going to meet. However, being the impatient girl she was, she was bored and had already begun doing her homework for an hour. Naeun tapped her pencil against her notebook, staring out at the window. Then, she groaned and used her own hand to mess up her hair.

"How annoying!" she exclaimed. "I had to ditch Myungsoo just for this one session with this guy. Ugh, and I'd rather be going out with the new friends I made in middle school."

Ding-dong!

Naeun widened her eyes, and looked out the window. However, she saw no one approaching her door. She got up from her seat, stormed down the stairs, and ran over to the door. Her maid was just about to open it when Naeun zoomed ahead and managed to twist the doorknob first. She swung the large door open, ready to glare at the old man who was going to teach her. However, her eyes softened when she realized that it wasn't an old man, but rather a young man with handsome features.

"Hello! I'm Ok Taecyeon, the tutor," Taecyeon greeted himself, meeting the eyes of the maid. He looked down, and saw Naeun staring at him with awe. He gave her a gentle smile, which made her heart skip a beat. "Why, hello there! You must be Naeun, yes?"

Naeun hid behind her maid and shyly nodded her head. The maid smiled fondly at Taecyeon, and welcomed him inside. He took of his shoes and stepped in the air-conditioned room.

"You have such a nice house," Taecyeon said, blinking his eyes. "It's very beautiful and big."

"Why, thank you. You're such a fine gentleman. Ah, which school did you go to again?" the maid asked, closing the door behind them.

"I go to JYP High School. I'm in my last year--the third-year," he explained. 

"I see. Naeun, why don't you take your tutor to your room? Didn't you say that you wanted to have your lessons in your room?" the maid asked the middle school girl. Naeun quickly shook her head, embarrassed.

"N-No!" she exclaimed. "My room is really m-messy today."

"But you came early to clean your room--"

"L-Let's have our l-lessons in the living room!" Naeun stuttered. She was just about to grab Taecyeon's arm until she became aware of how well-built his muscles were. Her cheeks turned pink and she dropped her hands to her side. "T-This way..."

She guided him to the living room, where there were two couches and a large chair to sit on. Taecyeon took a seat on the couch, rubbing his hand nervously.

I wonder if she's scared of me, Taecyeon thought. She stutters a lot. Maybe she's really shy?

"W-Would you like something to drink?" Naeun asked him quietly.

Probably shy, Taecyeon thought. "Um, no thanks. I just had a snack with my friends before coming here."

"Oh... O-Okay. T-Then do you want anything else?" she questioned him.

"Nope... Do you need to get ready or anything?" he asked. Naeun shook her head and took a seat on the couch.

"A-Actually, I've already done my homework earlier. T-There's nothing much to do anymore," Naeun said, glancing at her maid. Her maid disappeared for a moment, then came back with Naeun's backpack and notebooks. The maid handed Taecyeon Naeun's homework. He browsed through over them, reading the directions, solving problems in his head, and comparing his answers with hers. Naeun sat still with her back straight. "A-As you can s-see, there's really nothing to t-teach me--"

"Naeun, which high school do you want to go?" Taecyeon interrupted. Naeun blinked her eyes.

"I want to go to Cube's High School. I heard that they have a great arts field," Naeun answered. 

"So you want to focus in arts? Have you ever considered in going to an arts academy instead?" he inquired. Naeun shook her head. Taecyeon nodded his head and flipped through her homework. "Well, you're right. There's probably nothing for me to teach you. You seem like an excellent student who can balance your schedule."

Naeun smiled. "Yes, and I--"

"But," Taecyeon said, grabbing a folder from his backpack. "If I remember correctly, Cube High School is one of the difficult schools to get into. In my opinion, going to an arts academy sounds better. Are you sure you want to go to Cube High School?"

Naeun pressed her lips. He makes everything sound so difficult. "Yes, I want to go to Cube High School."

Then, he flashed her a smile. "You seem to be prepared with your choices. Very well, then I'll help you get into Cube High School. I heard that the exams are really difficult. The math and science field there is pretty strong, though, so you might want to fix up your math and science grades."

"What? But they're perfectly fine," she protested. Taecyeon stared at her, then dropped her homework on the table. Naeun grabbed her homework and stared at the red marks on her homework, especially her math and science homework. 

"I heard that Woolim Middle School doesn't really focus on homework. I heard that they only check if you did them, and don't go over the answers as much. We'll start math tomorrow," Taecyeon said. He stood up, and grabbed his backpack. Naeun widened her eyes and stood up.

"W-Wait! You're going?" she asked, confused. "But it hasn't been an hour yet!"

"Your parents wanted me to see you just for today. I needed to examine your weak points and all. I'll be back next week."

Naeun pouted. "Same time?"

Taecyeon nodded. "Same time."

He bowed to the maid, who thanked him for his time. When he left, Naeun stared at her homework and the red marks. Although the marks looked unpleasant, her heart skipped a beat every time she ran her finger across the red ink. She flushed her cheeks, and hugged a pillow, too shy to even think about her new tutor.