Myungsoo's Cousin

Tending the Roses

During school, Taecyeon and Yoona decided to have lunch alone on the roof. Both of their friends were nowhere to be seen (they suspected that they were hiding somewhere), and because of the deserted company, they were left no choice but to eat together. As the two exchanged lunch (Yoona had broccoli in her lunch box, which she clearly disliked to see), Taecyeon widened his eyes and almost choked.

"What's up?" Yoona asked, reaching to grab some meat from his tray.

"You can see that garden from here!" Taecyeon exclaimed. "It's really far away and blurry, but you can see it!"

"What? I don't believe you!" She looked up and gasped. "Oh my gosh, I see it!" Squinting her eyes, Yoona leaned closer to the fence. "I...I think I see... Myungsoo or Naeun?"

"Maybe both?"

"No, no. That's Myungsoo...with another girl!" Yoona grabbed ahold of Taecyeon's shoulder and shook him back and forth. "Oh my gosh, this is scandalous, Taec!"

"What's so scandalous? I thought Naeun didn't like Myungsoo--"

"They're in middle school. What do they know about love?" Yoona asked. 

"All I see is a faint garden with people who look like ants. Yoona, I think you're being dillusional. Stop going crazy and eat your lunch," he said, poking his utensils into the brocolli.

Yoona pouted and stared at the green vegetable. "But I really hate brocolli..."

 

"For a guy, you're pretty girly."

"Shut up. You're the one who wanted to come here."

"I know, I know. But I didn't think that you actually had permission to leave the school in order to tend the garden."

"That's only if I'm not in class or running errands. The school is trying to get me to work at the school's garden, though. They said that it would be more convenient."

"Okay, Myungsoo, okay. By the way, does Naeun even come here anymore? It seems like she got busy."

"Why do you care? You never liked her, anyways."

"Oh, don't be like that to your favorite cousin, Myungsoo! Would I be here from America just to hear you point out the obvious?"

"Hyo Jung, I don't need to hear that you came from America to visit. Besides, you're only here because of that high school offer or something. You're leaving in a year, aren't you? Plus, you're not going to stay around this part of town, so why bother to visit us?"

"Idiot!" the female shouted, punching the boy's shoulder. "Show some respect! I'm a year older than you, and I'm not here because of some high school offer. I'm here because Mom thinks that I should improve my Korean here during vacation. Who would stay here for a year? I'd get homesick. Plus, I said to call me Hyorin. It's a name I use in America."

Myungsoo looked up to see his cousin's long, wavy hair. He thought that she should cut her bangs, which covered her thick eyebrows. Nevertheless, he didn't comment on her looks because he knew how irrational she could get when it came to her looks. She was rather tan (he expected her to come to Korea a little darker, though), and because of her dark look, he understood her feelings when the adults kept wishing that she had "nice, pale skin."

Well, Naeun has some nice skin, he remembered. He slightly blushed as he looked down to pull some weed. And her hands are so soft...

"You're thinking of something erted, aren't you?" Hyorin asked. "Maybe Naeun?"

"P-P-erted? Wha... No! No, I would never think of something erted about Naeun!" He looked away from his cousin's sharp looks. "She's rather too innocent and pure for me to think of something erted about her..."

"Your life always revolve around Naeun, huh? What are you going to do if some guy takes her away? You got to take the first step. When you confess, you become a man! I've already confessed to countless of boys--"

"Were they successful?"

"Of course not! We're in middle school. What do we know about love? It's next year--well, at least for me when I get into high school--where things get juicy!" Hyorin exclaimed.

"Juicy? Like what?" Myungsoo asked, snipping off a pink rose.

"Well, if you haven't had your first kiss, you can kiss there--"

"K-Kiss?"

"Yeah! And... Oh! And you can start dating without people thinking that you're 'too young to be in a relationship.' So there's kissing, dating, and... Valentine's Day! The guys give you tons of stuff! Chocolate, roses, jewels..."

"The guys give those things? That's crazy talk!" he exclaimed.

"What do you mean by crazy talk? It's perfectly romantic--"

"On February 14th, the girls have to give us chocolate. Then on March, it's White Day, where the guys return the chocolates with candy. A month afterwards, it's Black Day, where singles eat black noodles," Myungsoo explained. He handed Hyorin a pink rose. "For you."

"Thanks," she said, accepting the flower. "But I don't understand. So in Korea, you exchange stuff a month later?"

"Um... We have Pepero Day, I guess? It's on November 11th," the boy said, scratching the back of his head. He looked down at his watch, and widened his eyes. "Oh my gosh. I'm going to be late! I better go."

"Fine, fine. Hey, tell Naeun that I said--"

By now, Myungsoo was already on his bike. He clipped the helmet buckles together and did a small turn with the convenient bicycle. The young boy looked up and flashed his cousins a small smile.

"I'm going to come back later. I'll try to convince Naeun to come, too. Will you be here?"

"Are there weird people hanging around these streets?" she asked.

"Not that I know of. If you walk a block down this street, then there should be a convenience store. I'm pretty sure that there's a park somewhere, but if you really want to go home, there's a station a couple of minutes away. I really got to go, so I'll see you later at dinner. Bye!"

Hyorin wanted to add something, but she silently watched Myungsoo paddle away. She shook her head and heaved a sigh. Staring down at the pink rose, she dropped down to her knees and stared at the colorful plants.

Pink roses, huh? she thought. Her eyes rolled off to the red roses. I wonder if he'll ever give those to Naeun with a confession.

 

Naeun brushed her long, brown hair with her fingers as she chewed her bottom lip and looked out the window. School was over, and she was waiting for Myungsoo to drop by and pick her up (since he always insisted on doing so). During the time she was waiting, her mind was filled with Taecyeon: What did he like? Who did he like? Did he like her? Was he into girls like her?

She heaved a sigh, wishing to see her "fated prince." To her, the feeling of waiting--of longing--to see him was almost unreal. She was supposed to have tutor on Mondays, but with Taecyeon's busy schedule (he did have other people to tutor, after all), they had to move the date to Friday.

"Hello? Earth to Naeun!" She looked up and saw her Korean-American friend, Soojung, wave at her. "Are you okay?"

"Y-Yeah," she stuttered, slightly blushing. "W-What's up?"

"Oh, come on! Now I have to explain it again?" Soojung asked with a whiny tone.

"S-Sorry. But really, what's going on?"

Naeun's other friend, Suzy, broke into a small giggle. "Soojung found a great game that helps read your fortune!"

Myungsoo, who had just arrived after helping the teacher move some boxes to the office, panted and rushed into her classroom.

"Sorry I'm late, Naeun! I--"

"Sh!" Soojung snapped. "Quiet, we're going to see what Naeun's future is going to be."

"Okay, so how does this game work?" Naeun asked curiously.

Suzy grabbed a pen and handed it to Soojung, who was holding some kind of thin magazine paper. "Soojung's going to ask you some question. All you have to do is honestly answer it."

And so, the questioning and answering began. Soojung had asked the questions as fast as she could, and Naeun answered each question with an earnest answer. After what seemed like hours to Myungsoo, Soojung had circled an answer and flipped the page over.

The results were in.

"Okay, so this is what the magazine says--"

Nothing from magazines are real, Naeun thought, disappointed that this wasn't a real "game."

"--'You are in young love! There is someone out there who is very close to you, yet his admiration cannot touch you--"

Myungsoo choked on his own spit.

"--However, many troubles may come into your youthful relationship. You will fall into false love, be tattered and torn, and end up being alone, like petals in a storm. Be cautious of how you treat the man who loves you, for he may be your light at the end, or leave for a better woman.'"

Suzy glanced at Myungsoo, who was turning bright red. She smirked, and stole the paper from Soojung's hands. 

"You want to try this, Myungsoo?" she asked, grinning at him.

"N-N-No. I-I rather n-not--"

"Oh, come on, Myungsoo. This isn't real anyways. Magazine polls are never real," Naeun said. When she finally managed to convince her friend to join in the game, Suzy ended up asking all the questions. Myungsoo responded with honesty, but he was rather shy due to Naeun's surprised and glowing expression every time she heard something that she didn't know about him.

After ten minutes, Suzy finally tallied up the score. She blinked her eyes, and broke into a loud laugh. Hearing this, Myungsoo cringed.

"What does it say?" Naeun asked.

"It's funny, really," Suzy replied. "I really don't think this is real."

Soojung rolled her eyes. "It's real, idiot. I took this poll and it became real!"

"What does it say?" Myungsoo repeated. Suzy cleared .

"'You're in a midst of a love triangle; possibly a love square. You are like a sunflower, who will only face your sun. However, there will be a time when you will turn away from the sun, and act abnormal and face the moon's elegance. Be aware of what is admiration and love.'"

That's impossible, Myungsoo thought. I love Naeun. I can't possible 'turn away from her.'

"This is stupid," he said, shaking his head. "I got to go."

"Yeah, me too," Naeun agreed, getting up.

Suzy stared at them with suspicion. "You know, you two are always together."

"Well, today is a very special day," Naeun said. "I get to see Myungsoo's cousin again!"

"You like his cousin?" Soojung asked.

To this, Naeun gave her a fake smile. "Not exactly..."