Red Tips

Tending the Roses

Hyorin had no idea what on earth was going on at the dining table, but she enjoyed ever last minute of it. She loved how Myungsoo was ignoring Naeun, and how Naeun couldn't lift her head from the breakfast plate. As good as the meal was, Hyorin found herself satisfied at the sight of her cousin being cold around the annoying childhood friend. It was ridiculous how smoothly her plan went, especially since she hardly did anything.

At this rate, Naeun will be out of my sight and I don't have to deal with her! Hyorin exclaimed, grinning.

"Well, I'm done. Do you mind if I wash the dishes, Bora?" Taecyeon asked, getting up. Bora quickly finished her plate in seconds, then stood up from her chair.

"I'll help!" she offered. When she reached over to grab Hyorin's plate, she heard another chair screech against the floor. Bora looked up and found Yoona almost glaring at her.

"Let me help, Taecyeon. After all, you did so much with Naeun earlier. You didn't even let me cook!" Yoona protested. She reached over to grab Hyorin's plate until Myungsoo stood up. He swiftly grabbed Yoona's and Bora's plate while walking over to Taecyeon.

"If you mind, can I go wash the dishes with someone?" Myungsoo asked.

"Sure. I'll soap the dishes–"

"No," Myungsoo interrupted Taecyeon. "What I meant was if I could wash the dishes with Naeun."

Naeun spat out her scrambled eggs and stared at him with wide eyes. "Me? Clean something? Myungsoo, you're almost asking for the impossible!"

"Yep, she's a clean-freak, remember Myungsoo? Here, let me take care of the dishes. Taecyeon, please come and help," Hyorin said, grabbing everyone's plate. She walked over to the kitchen sink, and soon Taecyeon came over with the empty cups. She the water, rinsing out any crumbs or smudges on the plate. Then, she slipped on dishwashing gloves and grabbed the sponge, soaping it to clean the plates.

Taecyeon stood besides her in silence, waiting for her to put the washed dishes so that he could dry them. He glanced over at the kitchen counter, then spotted a vase full of roses–white rose buds.

"This is Bora's house, right? Did Myungsoo give these to her?" Taecyeon asked, playing with the closed petals.

"Hm? Oh, those." Hyorin glanced at the flowers for only a second. "No, I gave them to Myungsoo when he was younger. He gave them back, so I gave them to Bora. She's been taking care of them really well."

"They haven't bloomed or died. Is that possible?" he asked.

"Well, they did die, but we keep replacing them. They symbolize 'girlhood' or 'youth.' Don't fondle with them too much," she said in a snappy tone.

Taecyeon quickly reacted and pulled away his hand. "So why would you give these to Myungsoo? He's a guy."

"Yeah, but he was acting like a girl in love–an innocent child. Back then, Naeun wasn't the greatest girl to be around with. She was rich and selfish, and always bossed him around. It was such a depressing sight. My cousin would give her flowers, but she would throw them out in the garbage or something. I gave these flowers to him, and he accepted them, but after he found out the meaning, he took it as an offensive remark and gave them back. I know he still likes her, but I just wish he would find a better girl, you know? I wish he would find someone who would receive his messages through flowers or verbal language," Hyorin explained, handing Taecyeon a plate to dry. He walked back to the sink, then grabbed a clean towel as he dried the plates and placed them up in the cabinet.

"Is that why you're asking Bora to help you pull the two part?" he asked innocently.

"Yeah. So far, it's going great! They just need a little more push, and I'm sure that they'll stop being friends soon," she said.

"Is that healthy? You know, purposely breaking a friendship apart just because you don't like one girl?" Taecyeon questioned her.

"Healthy? Taecyeon, relationships aren't ever healthy. Have you seen how much Myungsoo suffered because of her? It's best if you keep quiet," Hyorin told him, passing him a cup.

"But Naeun changed. Have you seen her development? It's incredible! She changed to be a better person. She might not be the best person, but she's more… passive, don't you think?" he pointed out. He took the cup, wiped it with a towel, then placed it on a tray. "I mean, the two like each other. Why not leave them be?"

"The two like each other? No, no, you got it all wrong, Taecyeon. Myungsoo is the one who likes Naeun–"

"I don't know if you heard, but this morning, Naeun was indirectly rejected," he blurted. He turned his head to check on her reaction. Hyorin was obviously surprised by this news. The plate slipped out of her hands and fell on a cup, breaking the two glasses into large fragments. 

"Are you two okay?" Yoona called from the living room.

"We're fine! We just broke a plate and a cup," Taecyeon reported, grabbing a plastic bag to put away the shards of glass. He stared at Hyorin, who still stared at him with wide eyes. "What? Never seen a guy clean up broken glasses before? It's fine, I do it all the time whenever Yoona makes a mess in the kitchen."

"Forget about that! What do you mean that Naeun was rejected this morning? Shouldn't it be the opposite?" she asked impatiently.

"Well, it turns out that Naeun likes Myungsoo now. She tried to go for it, but he ended up blurting that he likes Yoona."

"What did Yoona say?"

"Nothing. I went to go and talk to him, but he wasn't convinced that he shared mutual feelings with Naeun. He's pretty scary when it comes to talking about his feelings," Taecyeon mentioned, shuddering after remembering how cold Myungsoo was.

Hyorin shook her head. "No way. Myungsoo would never blow off such a chance."

"Well, he did. The way he reacted made Naeun feel upset, and that's why the two aren't talking to each other." Taecyeon threw away the broken glasses and went back to drying to dishes. "Aren't you happy? You look quite shocked."

"That's because I am shocked! How could Myungsoo do this? What the… This totally doesn't make sense!" She paused. "Does this mean that Myungsoo really likes Yoona?"

This time, it was Taecyeon who almost lost his grip on the plate. His heart pounded against his chest, anxious to know the truth. Nevertheless, he remained calm, carefully putting away the last plate.

"N-No, I doubt it. I mean, he seems a lot happier with Naeun–"

"But that just might be an act to make Yoona jealous. Hold it! Do you know who Yoona likes?" Hyorin asked.

Taecyeon blinked his eyes. It had never crossed his mind that Yoona might've liked someone. He didn't really like the thought that Yoona could have a potential crush. He frowned, clearly showing his disapproval. 

"Aw man… What do I do? Yoona hasn't done anything bad like how rude Naeun was, so I can't really do anything… I guess there's only one choice. I must support Yoona with Myungsoo!" she declared proudly.

"What? Wait, but I like Yoona!" he confessed.

"Tch! Two boys pick Yoona or Naeun over me. I'm hurt, darling!" joked Bora, who came into the kitchen. "You two took a long time, so I thought I should come in and help. Seems like you're done, though."

"This is perfect, then! I can help you get hooked up with Yoona, and now Myungsoo can do whatever he wants to do with his love life! This is wonderful news!" Hyorin cried out. "Bora, you're helping, right?"

"If you need Yoona to be jealous over something, you called the right person. She still hates me, so if we pretend that we're dating or something, then I'm sure that she'll be jealous," Bora guaranteed, shooting a wink at Taecyeon.

The boy turned bright red. "G-Guys, I really don't need all this help. I mean, I'm fine with just being friends…"

Hyorin pouted. "Aw, poor boy! He reminds me of an older and more pitiful version of Myungsoo. Don't worry, Taecyeon. We'll help you be hooked up with Yoona, and then we'll go do something about Myungsoo's life."

Taecyeon groaned. "Look, I really don't need any help–"

"Come on, Taecyeon! It'll benefit you in the future." Bora pointed towards the living room with her chin. "The girls are doing a little love quiz with a magazine I bought last week. Want to go and take one?"

"I'd rather not–"

"Ok Taecyeon! Look!" Yoona shouted, running into the kitchen. She was followed by Naeun, who was clearly trying to avoid being alone with Myungsoo, who chased after her. Yoona shoved the magazine in front of Taecyeon's face, pointing at a certain section of the paper. "Guess what my love fortune says! 'Be prepared, budding lover! There will be many surprises awaiting for you.' What could that possibly mean?"

Naeun took the magazine away from Yoona's hand and pointed to another section. "This was my fortune! 'You're still in young love. Go find another love soon!' It means that there's a better guy for me, right?"

Myungsoo snatched away the paper. "Really, Naeun? Yoona, you too? You two are going to base your love life on this stupid magazine!"

"Myungsoo's fortune was, 'Maybe this isn't the right love. Are you looking at your lover properly?' It's one of the worse fortune you can get on this paper. Tsk, tsk, Myungsoo! Are you looking at your lover properly?" Yoona inquired, raising an eyebrow. "Why don't you try taking it, Taecyeon?"

Taecyeon sighed and took the magazine, knowing that there was no way to escape. He took a pen and began to take notes of which letters he picked and the fun path he was following. After a few minutes, he dropped the pen next to the vase of white rose buds and checked his answer on the magazine. Clearing his throat, he raised the thin book high in the air so that no one else would be able to sneak a peek.

"This magazine says, 'It's clear that this is your soul mate. Go and confess!'" He stopped abruptly, then stared at Yoona. "This magazine is strange, huh?"

Yoona was about to answer him, but she couldn't quite do so. Naeun took away the magazine and handed it to Bora, who gently patted Taecyeon's shoulder.

"You know, this magazine is popular for its accuracy. Maybe you should go and follow its advice?" Bora whispered, causing Taecyeon to blush. 

"I said that I was good on my own!" He rolled his eyes. "Girls. What a nuisance. Let's go, Yoona. Naeun, Myungsoo? Are you coming along with us?"

"We'll go with you guys until we arrive at the community garden. From there, we'll have to part," Myungsoo said, grabbing his bag. "Thanks for letting us stay over, Bora. See you later, Hyorin."

Naeun raced over to Yoona's side, grabbing ahold of her thin arms. "Come on, Yoona! I want to talk to you about a lot of stuff!"

"Wait, Naeun! I also want to talk to you–"

"Huh? Oh, um, Taecyeon! I'll go ahead with Naeun first, okay? You take your time with Myungsoo. Later!" Yoona exclaimed, running out of the house with the middle school girl.

Myungsoo was just about to chase after them until Taecyeon pulled him back. The younger boy scowled, obviously disappointed with Taecyeon. However, for a second Myungsoo just stared at Taecyeon, wondering what he was thinking. Taecyeon's eyes were glued to the magazine Bora held in her hands. He glanced at her for a second, and she stared at him with a blank expression.

"You said that the magazine is how accurate?" Taecyeon asked.

"Most likely accurate. That's why it's popular, duh. Like I said, go and confess!" Bora encouraged.

Taecyeon kept quiet for a few minutes, then turned to Myungsoo. "Myungsoo, do you know any kind of flowers that relate to innocent love or anything?"

Myungsoo rolled his eyes. "Of course not. Do you think that I'm…"

His eyes wandered off to the white flower buds in the vase, and suddenly recalled the perfect flower for Taecyeon's situation.

 

"Im Yoona! Guess what?" Sooyoung asked happily, walking besides Yoona. The two were coming back from the cafeteria, where Yoona bought a sandwich. She wasn't hungry, and she didn't have a lunchbox. Fortunately for her, she had money in her bag, and was able to afford a sandwich and a can of juice. 

"What is it?" Yoona asked. Her eyes stare down at Sooyoung's finger, where there was the same couple ring Changmin was wearing since this morning. As expected, Sooyoung pointed at her couple ring, blushing a bit as Sunhwa joined them.

"Oh my gosh! You and Changmin are back together! Congratulations!" Sunhwa cheered, clapping her hands together.

"I haven't seen Changmin in a while, though. The last time I saw him was this morning, and he was doing physical education. Man, exercising in the morning is tough! You can't eat until lunch time," Yoona said.

The three walked into their classroom, where they found the students staring at them. Among the three, most of the students were looking at Yoona, eyeing her a suspicious look. She awkwardly glanced back at them, but remained silent. The friends walked over to Yoona's seat, but their eyes were still on their peers. Soon, Sunhwa began to poke Yoona's elbow.

"What?" Yoona whispered, feeling awkward. 

"Look at your desk," Sooyoung whispered. Yoona did as instructed, and widened her eyes. On her desk layed a single yellow rose that had yet to bloom. However, on the tip there was a soft shade of red. She slowly grabbed for the thornless rose and stared at it. Then, she looked up at one of her classmates, who only stared at her back.

"Do you know who dropped this off?" Yoona asked.

"Your childhod friend did," the student answered. "He asked where you were sitting and left the rose there."

Taecyeon? She searched around her desk, trying to find some kind of note. As predicted, she found a note on her chair, where it was folded into a perfect square. She unfolded the note, only to find a web address. Sunhwa quickly fished out her smart phone, typing in the strange address. In a few seconds, Sunhwa snapped her fingers.

"Oh my gosh! This is like a flower message! Apparently, a yellow rose with a red tip means 'friendship'," Sunhwa reported.

"It would be friendship. He's that kind of guy," Yoona said confidently, simling as she played with the rose's petal. She found another note hidden between the tightly wrapped petals. She carefully pulled it out, unfolding the discovered note. "It says, 'The Second One, Dummy.'"

"The second one? What?" Sunhwa asked, reaching for the first note. "It's only one website, though."

Sooyoung kept quiet, then widened her eyes. "Hey, a flower can have more than one meaning, right?"

"Yeah," Yoona and Sunhwa said in unison.

"Maybe he's talking about a second meaning? Sunhwa, is there a second meaning?" Sooyoung asked.

Sunhwa scrolled down her phone, checking to see if Sooyoung was right. She froze, but her eyes were repeatedly moving in the same left-to-right direction. Seeing Sunhwa in a paralyzed state, Sooyoung looked over her shoulder, trying to read what the possible second meaning was. It took her a few minutes to realize what the second meaning was. Soon, Sooyoung's eyes were wider than the buttons on her blazers, clearly shocked at what she read.

"What? What's going on?" Yoona asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Do you really want to know?" Sooyoung asked softly. Yoona nodded her head confidently. "Well, you know how the first meaning is friendship?" Again, Yoona nodded her head. "Well, guess what the second meaning is!"

"Falling in love," Sunhwa answered. She looked up at Yoona with a small smile. "This rose's second meaning means 'falling in love.'"

The two girls finally let out a scream, excited how a childhood love was blooming. Yoona stared down at the beautiful rose, caressing it like a precious diamond. Not only was her heart racing, but her cheeks were turning as red as the tip of the rose, clearly showing how shy she was.

At that moment, when the students overheard the girls' conversation, a new rumor began to spread: Third-year Ok Taecyeon indirectly confessed to his childhood friend, first-year Im Yoona.