Silent Treatment

Tending the Roses

"What happened to you two lovebirds? It looks like the chick wanted to cool down," Kyuhyun said.

"Yoona is giving me the silent treatment. Did you know that when a girl wants to say sorry, she has something else up on her sleeve?" Taecyeon asked. He didn't even bother to argue with his friends about his relationship with Yoona. He was more worried over how Yoona was doing. After the three had discussed their problems yesterday, the two girls declared war on each other. Since then, Yoona wouldn't even mutter a word to him, still furious about how he didn't listen to her. He felt bad, but he thought that she was going too far with this.

Suddenly, Changmin rushed into the room, panting while almost glaring at Taecyeon. He marched up to the two, then placed two couple rings on the table. The two boys looked up, but stopped to widen their eyes after realizing what was going on.

"Sooyoung broke up with you?" Kyuhyun asked.

"No, she said that we're temporarily breaking up. Apparently, it's a girl's duty to comfort her friend, and make the same enemies as the girl who's the victim." Changmin turned to Taecyeon. "On the other hand, you need to apologize."

"I did!" Taecyeon cried out loud. "I did say that I was sorry and I did go on my knees. What else am I supposed to do?"

"Uh, I don't know, but you better hurry. The longer I'm holding onto these rings, the more worried I get. Now that she's temporarily single, who knows which idiot will mess around with my girl!" Changmin whimpered.

Kyuhyun smirked and clicked his tongue. "Heh, you technically called yourself an idiot."

Changmin threw him another glare. "You, shut up."

"But what should I do?" Taecyeon asked, bringing both boys' attention back to his topic. "I don't know what else I should do."

"Man, you need to charm Yoona," Kyuhyun advised. "Give her a box of whatever she likes and flowers."

"Yoona likes food. Give her a box of chocolate," Changmin added.

Taecyeon scrunched his nose. "You make it sound as if I'm giving her a Valentine's gift."

"Or give her something that she hates. Maybe she'll scream at you or something," Kyuhyun joked. He was smiling, thinking that he was being clever. Though when he saw Taecyeon smile back at him, he stopped grinning and gave his friend a strange look. "Don't tell me you're actually going to…"

"Hey, do you guys have a dog?" Taecyeon asked. "It doesn't have to be big. I prefer it not to be vicious, though."

"A dog? Why a dog? They're cute," Changmin said. "By the way, I have a yorkie that my house. She's only staying at my house until my relatives come back from their vacation at JeJu Island. They wanted us to take care of their family pet instead of putting her in some dog hotel or something."

"Can I borrow her? I'm hoping that Yoona will at least be angry at me without being silent," Taecyeon said.

"Again, why a dog?" Changmin asked.

"Didn't you know? Yoona's terrified of dogs. That's how Taecyeon got close to her," Kyuhyun teased, cracking up.

"Like I've been saying, why?"

"A long time ago, Yoona kept taunting a dog who was chained to its dog house. One day, the dog broke loose and started chasing Yoona. She somehow managed to get up on a tree, and that's when I first met her. The dog was still there, and she kept crying for help. I got the dog's owner and he dragged it away, apologizing to Yoona when she was the one who did wrong in the first place," Taecyeon explained. He turned to Kyuhyun. "Like I said, I didn't get close to her on purpose."

"Right, sure you didn't. I remember that day, too. I invited him to play soccer, but he didn't come to the park. So I went to his house, and found Yoona hanging around in his room. Were you two busy kissing that day, perhaps?" Kyuhyun teased again.

Taecyeon's face turned pink. "L-Like I said, we didn't do anything like that! We were little kids, okay? Besides, I told her to come to my house since she was scared to death. She wouldn't go home, and I didn't know where her house was."

"Taecyeon, my friend, I see kids in day care kiss and smooch all day."

"Can you just shut up, Kyuhyun? What, were you kissing when you were seven?"

"I was kissing my mother's cheek to show my love!"

"But no one does that now," Changmin said. "No one really shows love anymore."

Kyuhyun broke into a small smile. "That's why there's so many single people in this world. They don't show love when love is right in front of them. Aren't I right, Ok Taecyeon?"

Taecyeon groaned. "Like I said, Yoona and I are not a couple!"

"Not yet." Kyuhyun tuned a whistle, humming himself a small song. "'Here comes the bride, all dressed in white...'"

 

Yoona thought that it was sweet of her friend to divert her attention from her loving boyfriend to her torn heart. She knew that Sooyoung was suffering inside, upset that she couldn't see her boyfriend too often. Sooyoung even pointed out that the two were going through a temporary breakup, and Yoona couldn't imagine how Changmin was feeling right now.

Probably mad, she thought, knowing exactly what Changmin could be feeling. Yoona knew that she had to end things, but she couldn't go up to Taecyeon and apologize to him like she usually did. Something about him believing in Bora made her upset, and she didn't want to know why. She planned to tell Sooyoung and Sunhwa about her feelings, but she felt embarrassed.

"Oh, look. There's the jerk, whatever he did," Sunhwa muttered, her eyes landing on Taecyeon who was searching for them. Yoona found it funny how Sunhwa's attitude towards Taecyeon changed the moment she learned about Yoona's decision to give him the silent treatment. The friend kept saying how Yoona was right and that boys were complete jerks, but Yoona kept wondering about that idea. After all, Sunhwa had no idea what was going on, yet she chose to stick by her friend.

Taecyeon saw them, then walked towards them. "Hello Sunhwa. Good afternoon, Sooyoung." He turned to face Yoona. "Yoona, hi."

By instinct, Yoona threw him a cold glare and turned around. Seeing this, Taecyeon heaved a loud sigh. He was about to say something until Sunhwa got up from her seat and shoved a hand in front of his face.

"No talking to Yoona, Ok Taecyeon! We know exactly what you did, and we think you were being dumb. Now, if you want her to talk to you again, I suggest that you get out of our faces!" Sunhwa announced loudly.

"But I didn't do anything bad–"

"Are you sure? Look at Sooyoung! She's been crying ever since she temporarily broke up with her boyfriend. To make her go through this, too? You must be sick, I tell you!" Sunhwa exclaimed.

"Sunhwa, is it so bad for a guy to listen to a different girl? I told you, Yoona! I said I was sorry! What else am I supposed to do?" Taecyeon cried out loud.

"Look mister. I don't want to break it to you, but you must have done something terrible to her. Listen to a different girl? What did you do? Are you dating someone else besides Yoona? How could you even think of doing that!"

"D-Dating? No, wait, Sunhwa. I think you got it all wrong–"

"Oh my gosh. So you are dating someone! Haven't you realized all the trouble you gave to Yoona?" Sunhwa asked.

Wait. Where is she going with this? Yoona wondered. She looked up with a hard expression, trying to figure out what Sunhwa was going to say. She figured that since Sunhwa had no idea what the situation was, she was trying to dig for more information through Taecyeon.

"Okay, I get it. I didn't listen to Yoona, and I was being an idiot. I'm sorry–"

"You think 'sorry' is okay? Ok Taecyeon, do you know what you did? Yoona liked you, and I bet she's upset how you're dating another girl!" Sunhwa blurted.

Silence filled the atmosphere. In her whole life, Yoona never felt more embarrassed than what was happening right now. Sunhwa had gotten everything wrong. She got the wrong idea, the wrong information, and she just made a huge mess.

The silent girl took a deep breath, then decided to inform her friend what was actually going on. Yoona told her about how the two met Bora, her nemesis, and how Taecyeon didn't listen to her and forced her to go and visit her enemy. She even explained to Sunhwa about Bora's plan to break the two middle school students apart, and she could tell that Sunhwa was feeling more embarrassed of her irrational actions. After telling her friend the entire situation, all the girls turned to Taecyeon.

"Oh my gosh. I am so sorry, Taecyeon. I thought Yoona liked you or something, and I thought you rejected her. I was going too far. I'm really sorry!" Sunhwa apologized, bowing her head several times. When she wasn't getting a response, she slowly glanced up, hoping that Taecyeon wasn't mad at her.

Instead, she found a boy whose face was turning crimson with ears turning hot in the cold classroom. Although Yoona couldn't tell why Taecyeon was being all red and shy, Sunhwa and Sooyoung knew exactly why. They knew that deep inside Taecyeon's growing heart, he kind of wished that Yoona was jealous over him, and to them, it meant that Taecyeon was falling for his childhood friend faster than they could blink.

The two friends shared secret smiles, knowing what was going on with Taecyeon's feelings, who already began to realize how he felt towards his childhood friend.