Thump Thump

Tending the Roses

Naeun's eyes popped open when saw Myungsoo holding a pick rose with the same love letter he had received two days ago. Not only that, but he had wrapped the rose with a ribbon, making it look more appealing. She quickly changed her shoes and put her own in her shoe locker. Then, she ran over to Myungsoo, but stopped when a couple of girls approached him first. Among the hoard of girls, she recognized that one of them was her friend, Suzy.

"Kim Myungsoo, are you confessing today? What's with all these stuff?" Suzy asked, asking the question that all the girls had in their mind. He slightly turned red, and tried to hide the precious pink gifts behind his back. The poor boy tried to back away, but the girls only took a step or two closer.

"I-I'm not confessing. I just have to tell someone something, and I wanted to give this to her," Myungsoo stuttered, looking away.

"Oh my gosh! He's confessing to Naeun!" Suzy shouted. This caused him to be hot and red, but surprised as well. Naeun rolled her eyes, annoyed by the nonsense Suzy was spurting out. The childhood friend continued to squeeze herself through the mob of girls, but paused when she listened carefully to his next words.

"T-This isn't for Naeun. I can never give her anything like this. It's just impossible," he muttered softly.

Naeun frowned, and finally passed through the large crowd. "What are you saying? You used to give me these things all the time."

Myungsoo widened his eyes. "N-N-N-Naeun!"

"Okay, everyone! Give this boy some room! He's going to confess!" Suzy announced, getting her friends to give the two some space. Naeun smirked as she saw the envious eyes that every girl was shooting her. However, deep inside her heart, she knew that she wasn't going to be confessed. In fact, she suspected that Myungsoo was going to respond to the girl's confession two days ago. Thinking of this, something painful tugged her heart. She slightly pouted, unfamiliar with this odd feeling.

Myungsoo recognized how upset Naeun seemed. Although he knew that she wouldn't care, he decided to tell her what his plans were anyways.

"I'm going to go and find that girl from two days ago," he explained. "I'm going to return this letter and give her this pink rose instead."

"Huh? Shouldn't you keep the letter?" Naeun asked, raising an eyebrow.

"What are you talking about? I'm rejecting her, of course," Myungsoo said. This seemed to have eased Naeun's expression, but she still felt confused. "Yoona wanted me to date her for some, er, secret causes. Though I decided to listen to Taecyeon's words and reject her."

"Then what's with the pink rose? Didn't it mean love or something?"

"It also means gratitude, dummy. I'm just going to take her for her feelings, and reject her like that."

"Oh, I see…"

"Are you okay? You seem really out of it today," Myungsoo said, waving his hand close to her face. Naeun let out a fake laugh and looked away. He slightly grimaced, but decided to continue. "Well, you do look a bit pale. Maybe you should rest or something. Oh, by the way, I invited Taecyeon and Yoona to the school festival–"

"You did what?" Naeun exclaimed, grabbing ahold of Myungsoo's arm. "Why didn't you tell me this before?"

"I was going to, but I was busy doing all this preparation. I had to ask Yoona to help me find the right ribbon and–"

"But you didn't tell me about Taecyeon," Naeun mumbled, looking down. She had always hated hearing Yoona's name, especially when they came out of Taecyeon's lips. However, when Myungsoo said Yoona's name, it was even more difficult to keep her cool.

"Sorry, sorry. I kind of forgot." The young boy patted Naeun's head. "Anyways, I'm going to go ahead. Wish me luck!"

He ran off, and Naeun stood still at her spot. She slowly raised her hands next to her cheeks, which were burning and heating up her cold hands. The gentle touch of Myungsoo's hand on her head did not fade away from her memory as easily as it used to. Instead of hearing Suzy's disappointed comments, call Naeun could hear was a familiar sound that pounded against her chest: thump, thump, thump…

 

"I want a boyfriend!"

Taecyeon choked on his rice when he heard Yoona's strange announcement. "You want a what?"

"I want a boyfriend by the time I go to that festival. Don't you recognize how dangerous it'd be for me to roam around without a guy? If I had a protective boyfriend, I wouldn't need to worry about those childish middle school kids trying to hit on me," Yoona pointed out, poking a sausage with her fork.

Taecyeon rolled his eyes. "Um, hello? Did you forget about who you're going to the festival with?"

"Don't be dumb, Taecyeon. We all know that you don't look like a boyfriend. Speaking of dating, when are you planning to get a girlfriend?" Yoona asked.

"Uh, whenever I want? I might be desperate for one, but I won't go into stalker-mode to get one. Besides, I heard that some of our classmates who attended our same middle school will go to the festival. I guess that school is pretty popular," Taecyeon commented.

"Hm… Do you think that Bora will be there?" Yoona questioned him, grimacing as she remembered the old name.

"Bora? Who was she?"

"Don't you remember that one girl who kept clinging onto you? The one who would put love poems on your desk and made you lunch. She also took away my spotlight when I auditioned to play Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, remember? Man, she was terrible! She always tried to take everything I had. I was so thankful when I found out that she wasn't going to go to the same high school as me."

"Bora… Well, she doesn't ring a bell, so I probably didn't care. I didn't like anyone from middle school, but I know a ton of guys who liked you. I wonder if they're going to come." Taecyeon kept quiet, then frowned. "If they did, it'd be kind of troublesome…"

"Why?"

He looked up at the curious girl. "No reason. Keep eating."

She scowled. "Why? Why won't you tell me? Are you planning something from me?"

"I'm not planning anything! You know how bad I am with lying," Taecyeon retorted. "Oh, and walk home without me today."

"Why? You're not tutoring Naeun or anything."

"I'm going to pick her up today. She signed up for extra lessons, and I'm almost booked."

"Why is she asking for your help? You're not even a professional!"

Taecyeon smirked. "Quiet down, Yoona! It's the money that matters to me. At this rate, I can probably buy a car!"

He laughed, while Yoona heaved a loud, tiresome sigh. She looked outside at the window, where the sun seemed to be ready to set.

I wonder what's going to happen during the festival, she wondered.

In a blink of an eye, the hot summer faded away and the autumn wind blew in, creating a storm of colorful leaves full of vibrant colors, welcoming the future chaos that would happen in the school festival.