Two Truths

Tending the Roses

"Pajamas are over there on the bed. Once you've changed, just come downstairs to chat. I'm sure you don't mind changing in the same room, right? After all, you're both girls," Bora said to Naeun and Yoona.

The two didn't realize that they were being taken in. Everything had happened so fast. Bora and Hyorin had jumped out of the house, dragging everyone inside and pushing them to either the bedroom or the bathroom. They were given an extra pair of pajamas and all, but their cell phones were taken away. 

"I need my phone. I need to call my parents about this," Yoona said.

"Already did it for you, sweetie. Leave these things to me!" Bora said, showing her proof on Yoona's cell phone. Yoona scowled, but didn't say a word as the door closed on them. She turned around to face Naeun, who stared at the clothes with discuss.

"How cheap," she muttered. "I prefer silk."

"Well, you're not going to be treated like a princess here. I'll let you choose what color to wear," Yoona said, pointing at the baby pink nightgown and the turquoise pajama set.

After taking a few minutes, Naeun finally selected the nightgown and gathered her belongings to the other side of the room. The two began to slip out of their school uniforms and changed into the pajamas Bora had provided them. To Naeun, the clothes were a bit too big, but for Yoona, the clothes were fine.

Once the two finished, they walked downstairs with their uniforms neatly folded in their hands. Hyorin, who saw them coming down first, smiled and took their clothes, saying how she would put them in the washing machine and make sure that they could wear their clothes tomorrow. Yoona and Naeun, though reluctant at first, gave her their clothes while taking a seat at the living room, where Taecyeon was changed to a pair of gray sweatpants and a white shirt. Myungsoo sat on the couch, still annoyed at how everyone was here. He knew that his cousin was up to something, but he couldn't tell what she was planning to do.

"Are those Myungsoo's? They seem to fit," Yoona said, pointing at Taecyeon's sleep wear.

"I had some spare clothes in my bag. Besides, Myungsoo's clothes are too small for me," Taecyeon said, pointing at his backpack next to Yoona's.

"So what are we going to do?" Naeun asked.

"Play some fun games, of course!" Bora cheered, while making everyone sit in a small circle. "What should we play first?"

"How about that one game where we all sleep?" Myungsoo suggested. Instead of agreement, he earned a smack on the head from Hyorin. The two relatives exchanged glares, and it was clear that something was going on. Yet, no one decided to say anything. It seemed much safer not to say a word compared to saying something wrong.

"We're going to play 'Two Truths, One Lie.' Basically, we tell three 'facts.' Only two of the 'facts' are true, while the third one is a lie. It's a good icebreaker game," Hyorin suggested, turning to Naeun. "I bet you don't know much about Myungsoo, hm?"

"So who's going to start?" Naeun asked, ignoring her last comment. The conversation went quiet. Taecyeon glanced around, then sighed when he realized that no one was going to say anything. He cleared his throat, earning attentions from the rest.

"I guess I better go," he said, thinking carefully about what to tell his friends. "One, I attended the same middle school as Yoona and Bora; Two, I love dogs; and three, I can't stand the sight of roses."

Yoona snorted. "Obviously three."

The rest murmured in agreement.

"Let me go next," Bora said, rolling her eyes. "Obviously, you guys are new to this game." A pause. "One, I have a boyfriend; Two, I kissed a boy in middle school; and three, I like someone here."

"Three," Myungsoo said, raising up three fingers.

"I'd go for two. I can't imagine you kissing someone," Hyorin said.

"Well, you both are wrong. Number one was a lie," Bora said, sticking out her tongue. "Taecyeon, you should know this really well. You would've ruled out two, though. We did it before, remember?"

Yoona stiffened as she glanced at Taecyeon. He parted his lips to say something, but nothing came out. It was frustrating to see Taecyeon be silent. Yoona wished that he denied it, but the way Taecyeon kept quiet already told her that there wasn't anything else to say.

"So then is the last one Taecyeon?" Naeun asked curiously. "Do you like Taecyeon?"

"Wait, wait!" Yoona exclaimed, killing the mood. She got up from her seat and shook her head. "I don't like this game anymore. Let's play something else."

"Yeah, this is getting too weird for me, too," Taecyeon agreed.

"You two are so boring. Come on, let's keep playing! Naeun, you go," Hyorin encouraged. "This is your favorite topic, isn't it? All about yourself?"

For some reason, I feel like I'm being targeted, Naeun thought. "Why don't you go, Myungsoo?"

"Okay, but let's stay on topics of love. Tell us three facts about yourself that relates to your love life," Bora suggested, changing the rules.

Oh, I see, Myungsoo thought, raising an eyebrow. He knew where this was going now. The two were trying to get Myungsoo to say something that would ruin his relationship with Naeun, and they were doing the same with Naeun. Fortunately, Naeun was dense and she never really got the hint. Plus, she never liked these types of game. To her, it was fun hearing them, but it wasn't fun playing them.

"You want me to say something about love? Okay, fine. One, I like Yoona; Two, I like Naeun; and three, I like Bora," Myungsoo blurted out.

Everyone was left puzzled. Hyorin and Bora exchanged giddy looks, obviously pleased with what Myungsoo had said. Taecyeon slowly raised his hands, trying to keep up a discussion.

"Okay, so I'm pretty sure that the third one is a lie, but that makes it seem like you like Yoona and Naeun. Since this is on a love topic, the term 'like' isn't actually just favoring, but more like love," Taecyeon said aloud.

"But if two was a lie, then he likes Yoona and Bora, which is obviously impossible," Yoona added, ignoring Naeun's somewhat hopeful look.

"And if one is a lie, that means he hates you," Bora pointed out. Yoona shot her a glare, obviously disliking her little statement.

Myungsoo stared at them. "Guys, don't over think it–"

"Well, we got to vote. So which one is it?" Hyorin asked, rubbing her hands as if she got her hands on some juicy information. Kim Myungsoo, you just brought yourself down! Prepare to end your unfortunate unrequited love with this spoiled little girl!

"I'm going with two," Naeun said with a hesitant voice. Hyorin and Bora agreed with her, causing her to feel a lot more depressed. 

"I'm going with one. The second and third statements just seem to far-fetched," Taecyeon answered confidently.

"Three! I'm voting for the third one!" Yoona exclaimed.

The middle school student let out a deep sigh. "It's one, guys! I said not to over think it."

"Well, that's a little hurtful," Bora complained, giving him a small pout.

"Forget about that! So if you had to choose between Naeun and Yoona, who would it be?" Hyorin inquired.

Oh shoot. Darn, I fell into her trap! Myungsoo cried out in his head. He stared at Yoona and Naeun, who stared at him with curious eyes. Before, he would've chose Naeun by heart. Though now, since he started having feelings for Yoona, he was confused.

Who was he supposed to pick? Both girls were great, but which one was better? If he chose Naeun, there might be a misunderstanding between him and her. Though if he chose Yoona…

"Naeun, of course," Myungsoo managed to choke out. It felt weird picking Naeun. Naturally, he would've picked Yoona's name to escape the situation, but he was sure that he would start blushing if he said Yoona's name. It was official. Myungsoo was falling for Yoona, and Naeun was becoming just a friend. Besides, it wasn't like Naeun was ever going to see him as a man. The two were good friends, so she would understand his decision for picking her name, right?

Yoona poked Myungsoo's hip, causing him to gasp for air.

"Ow! That hurt!" he complained.

"Myungsoo, I think you're close," she whispered. Seeing his frown, she groaned and pointed at Naeun with her chin. He turned his head, and widened his eyes to see a very red Naeun. 

It was unusual for him to see Naeun so embarrassed. She always had this pride in her eyes which Myungsoo always admired, but now she was acting all shy. She seemed so fragile, and he felt like if he said another word, he would scare her and cause her to run away. When their eyes met, she let out a small gasp and diverted her attention away from him.

"Good luck, Myungsoo! We're still rooting for you!" Yoona encouraged, patting his broad shoulders. Taecyeon, who noticed the situation, smirked while getting up to stretch his arms.

"Well, let's go to sleep. I'm tired and I want to get a good night's rest," Taecyeon said. "Aren't you tired, Naeun?"

It took her a few seconds to respond. "Y-Y-Yes! I'm going to s-sleep…"

She stared at Myungsoo for a few more minutes, blushed, then disappeared to the bathroom. Yoona rolled her eyes while getting up from the ground.

"I'll go talk to her. See you in the morning," Yoona said, bidding everyone a goodnight.

"Good night, Taecyeon," Bora said, giving him an air kiss. 

"Good night, Yoona," said Taecyeon, who completely ignored Bora's flirt. He stopped for a second, then glanced at her. "By the way, Bora, you kissed me on the cheeks. I never kissed you back."

He wasn't sure if he was clarifying it for Yoona or for himself. Either way, when he saw Yoona's satisfied expression and Bora's sour look, he was pleased. Besides, he didn't want Yoona to think of anything weird. It would've troubled him, especially since he was slowly recognizing his feelings for her.

After discussing shortly about how the boys would sleep in the living and the girls would go hang out at the bedrooms, Taecyeon sat next to Myungsoo. He patted down the futon against the floor, smiling while tucking himself with the thick blanket.

"Myungsoo, do you want to sleep a bit or talk a little more?" Taecyeon asked.

"S-Sleep. Why?" the younger man stuttered.

"Well, you're still pretty dazed about earlier," he said, mentioning how red Naeun was.

Myungsoo's faked a laugh. "N-No I'm not. Besides, I don't like her anymore."

"Really? I mean, your face is just as red as Naeun's, only it's a bit more red," Taecyeon pointed out. He let out a tired yawn, then rested his eyes, drifting off to sleep while leaving Myungsoo pondering on his thoughts. Just when he was sure that Taecyeon was sound asleep, he reached for his ears and glanced at a small nearby mirror.

Indeed, his entire face was crimson red, burning with the excitement that maybe his long-lasting unreqited love may turn to be worth the wait, and that maybe his love for Yoona wasn't as serious as he thought.