Red

Tending the Roses

The toasty fire illuminated the surrounding. Mr. and Mrs. Son were cleaning up, leaving the kids to sit around the fire. While Yoona and Taecyeon roasted marshmallows, Myungsoo and Naeun brought over some crackers and chocolates. Seeing this, Yoona excitedly clapped her hands and cheered.

"Yes! S'mores!" she exclaimed. "You know, I never made s'mores before. I only heard about them from that guy who came from America."

"There's no one from our class who's from America," Taecyeon said.

"Who said that the guy from America was from our class?" she asked.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Myungsoo asked her. Yoona shrugged her shoulders, then pulled out her marshmallow. She grabbed two crackers and a small piece of chocolate.

"Well," Naeun said, taking a seat close to Taecyeon. "tried smores, and they're delicious. Should I make you one, Taecyeon?"

Taecyeon was about to agree with Myungsoo stuffed a s'more in his mouth. The victim almost choked, and he only glared at Myungsoo for stuffing food in his mouth without permission. Myungsoo grabbed a second s'more and began to chew on it.

"Mine's more delicious, so I'll make it for you. Naeun, you just eat your own," Myungsoo told her. Naeun pouted and puffed her cheeks as she stared at the snack. Then, her eyes lit up as she continued to gaze into the flame.

"Hey! While my parents are gone, let's play a game," Naeun said.

"Won't they be here soon to join us?" Taecyeon asked.

"No. Mr. Son goes straight inside to sleep, and Mrs. Son stares at the fire for a second, then goes inside. They won't stay long, and they don't even know that we're playing a game," Myungsoo explained.

Yoona grinned and nudged her elbow against his rib. "Well, well! You seem to know a lot about her parents."

Myungsoo blushed. "T-That's because I went camping with her f-family a lot..."

Naeun clasped her hand and waved them in the air to grab their attentions. "Anyways, let's play 'Truth'!"

"Isn't it 'Truth or Dare'?" Taecyeon asked.

"Well, yeah, but there's no dare. It's just truth."

"What if you don't want to answer it truthfully?"

"Then... You need to kiss the next person who goes," Naeun declared. Taecyeon and Yoona shivered, while Myungsoo just stared at her with cheeks as red as the fire. Naeun grabbed a stick Y-shaped stick. She quickly through it in the air, and the stick randomly bounced around until the single line pointed at Yoona.

"Oh, goodie! It's me," Yoona said sarcastically, obviously not wanting to join the game. "Go ahead, Naeun. Ask me a question."

Naeun, also disappointed, leaned closer to the fire. "Do you like Taecyeon?"

"In a friend way, yes," she responded quickly, grabbing the stick. "This is going to be boring."

The stick landed on Myungsoo.

"When do you plan on confessing to the girl you like?" Yoona asked, grinning from ear-to-ear. Taecyeon hooted, while Naeun just stared at him in surprise.

"You like someone? Why didn't you tell me! I can set you up with her," Naeun exclaimed, upset how Yoona knew something about Myungsoo that she didn't.

"I-I-I..." Myungsoo grabbed the stick and threw it in the air. "W-Who cares! I'll just kiss the next person!"

It was Naeun's turn again.

"Have you ever liked me in a romantic way?" Myungsoo asked.

"Yeah..." Myungsoo gave her a look of surprise. Then, she started to laugh. "Just kidding! You'll always be a friend to me."

Naeun threw the stick without noticing how down Myungsoo was. The wood pointed at Taecyeon, who looked shocked. She grinned, then seductively tried to flirt with Taecyeon.

"What should I do for you to fall in love with me?" she questioned him sweetly.

"How about what you shouldn't do, like flirt in front of me?" Taecyeon responded. He was about to throw the stick until Myungsoo stopped him.

"Hey, that didn't sound like an answer," Myungsoo protested.

"Fine, then I choose to not answer, happy?" Taecyeon threw the stick, which landed on Yoona. Yoona gasped, then felt her heart pace faster.

"You got to kiss her, man!" he hollered, excited. Naeun bit her bottom lip, then laughed loudly.

"You know what? This game is just silly. Let's stop. Right Myungsoo? Let's stop!" Naeun shouted, getting up. 

"Y-Yeah," Yoona said, her face getting hotter. She couldn't tell if it was because of the warm fire or if she was actually blushing. She waved her hand in front of her face to cool down, but it only got hotter.

Myungsoo scowled. He desperately wanted to see Taecyeon kiss Yoona in order to show Naeun that she had no chance, but his chances weren't very likely. He sighed and scratched the back of his head.

"Sure, sure. Let's stop. I'm going to bed--"

"Wait," Taecyeon suddenly said. He got up from his seat, then grabbed Yoona's shoulder. She stood still, stunned and surprised. Once she realized that he was leaning closer, she shut her eyes and tried to lean back. Then, something soft landed on her forehead. Yoona slowly opened her eyes after Taecyeon backed away. She wanted to see his face, but he had turned around to face the dark.

At that moment, Mr. and Mrs. Son appeared. Mr. Son yawned and rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"Well guys, I'm off to sleep," Mr. Son announced.

"I'm sleeping, too," Taecyeon added, turning to face the cabin.

Like what Myungsoo had said, Mrs. Son stared at the fire for a few seconds, then told the kids that she would sleep first. Naeun furiously glared at Yoona, then stormed inside the cabin. Myungsoo stood behind with Yoona, and decided to sit next to her, knowing that she wanted some company.

"I... I didn't know what I was expecting all of the sudden," she confessed, still hot and red.

"Well, you certainly are red" Myungsoo commented, "like Taecyeon."

Yoona looked up. "Taecyeon was red, too?"

Myungsoo grinned and folded his hands together. "Mm... Maybe. I don't know."

The girl let out a soft sigh and put her hands over her cheeks. "I can't believe that I wanted something to happen."

"Well, maybe it was just a phase."

"A phase?"

"You know... Some girls have the same reaction whenever they get kissed by different people."

"Myungsoo, kiss me."

The middle school student stiffened awkwardly. "Wha..."

"I want to confirm if this is just a phase or not!"

"I am not going to kiss you! These lips are purely for Naeun, and Naeun only."

Yoona groaned. "Why are you doing this to me?"

"Because I like you," he said, patting her head. Yoona gave him a long stare. Realizing what he just said, he began to feel sweaty. "I-I mean... I'm doing this because I like you a-as a friend."

She paused, making the atmosphere more awkward. Then, she let out a laugh and got up to stretch.

"Silly Myungsoo! I was just joking," she assured him. She helped Myungsoo get rid of the fire, and went inside. As Myungsoo followed behind her, he covered his cheeks with the back of his hand. 

There's a lot of red today, isn't there? he thought, spotting his red ears a mirror in the cabin.


Author's Note: So if you haven't heard, Yoona is dating Lee Seung Gi. Yay, happy her! ^_^ Um, I won't be discontinuing this story, if anyone's worried. Actually, I'll just leave a poll below for you guys to decide. I'm planning to continue, but I don't know if any of you guys feel awkward about reading this while knowing that she's in a relationship (which I hope not).