The Lovebirds

Tending the Roses

Yoona woke up in the dark morning, too tired to realize where she was. She rubbed her groggy eyes for a few minutes, but found herself in a comfortable position. It took her some forceful toss and turns to recognize that she wasn't sleeping on her large, comfy bed. Instead, she woke up to find that she was drooling on the cold hard floor. Not only that, but she suddenly found herself under Taecyeon's embrace. She was about to scream and push him away until she realized that Myungsoo was besides her.

Okay, hold up. What happened here? she wondered, thinking hard how she got next to Taecyeon. If she remembered correctly, she was at Bora's home while having a small sleepover. She remembered going upstairs to sleep with the girls, but…

How in the world did I end up here? she kept asking herself. When Taecyeon began to stir, she instinctively grabbed Myungsoo's pillow (causing him to drop his head against the wooden floor) and slapped it across Taecyeon's face. The boys suddenly woke up in pain, but they were still half-asleep.

Taecyeon groaned while rubbing his cheek, while Myungsoo slowly sat up to comfort his poor head. The two looked at the frightened girl, who was laying in between the two. She kept her stiffened position, not daring to move as the boys stared down at her.

"Yoona? Did you just slap me with a pillow?" Taecyeon asked, staring at the thick pillow she had in her hands.

"Did you just take away my pillow?" Myungsoo added, patting the ground to see if his pillow had somehow disguised itself with the ground.

"U-Um… Yes, and yes. More importantly, how did I get down here?" Yoona asked, looking around.

"You probably sleepwalked, Yoona. You did that once, I think. You used to sleepwalk over to my house sometimes, but you always managed to go back into your room. Though since this is an unfamiliar house, I guess you ended up over here instead," Taecyeon explained, getting up. "Great, now I can't sleep anymore. Do you think Bora will mind if I go see what she has in the fridge?"

"Yeah, she wouldn't mind at all," Myungsoo mumbled, grabbing his pillow back. "Meanwhile, I want to go back to sleep, so if you'll excuse me…"

In just seconds, the young boy fell asleep. Yoona glanced at Taecyeon, giving him a strange look as if she was questioning his words. Taecyeon sighed and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Well, I was going to make him help me out, but since he's asleep, do you want to help cook?" Taecyeon offered.

"Why didn't you want to ask me first?" Yoona asked, somewhat offended.

"Everyone knows that you can't cook, Yoona. It's, like, written on everyone's mind. Though since I'm here to supervise, I guess I can give you a shot," he said with a smug look.

Yoona scowled. "Well, I'll show you! If we have eggs, I'll show you the best eggs that you've ever seen!"

The two kept quiet when they heard someone come downstairs. They found Naeun rubbing her eyes, exhausted from the lack of comfort she had last night. Yoona narrowed her eyes, envious of her straight, perfect hair in the morning compared to her own messy morning hair.

"What's with all the ruckus?" Naeun asked, leaning her small head against the wall when she finally reached the last part of the stairs.

"Yoona and I are about to cook. Want to help?" Taecyeon asked. He went into the kitchen, not waiting for a response. Yoona followed him, while Naeun wandered into the kitchen. He opened the fridge, then the cabinet, then sighed when he realized that there weren't enough ingredients to make a meal for six. He closed the empty drawers and turned around to face Naeun. "Hey Naeun, do you know if there are any nearby stores or markets here?"

Naeun paused. She was unfamiliar with the neighborhood, but she was sure that while she was walking to Bora's home, she saw a small family market. 

"I think I saw a market a few blocks from here, but I'm not sure. Should I go with you?" Naeun asked.

"That'd be perfect. Yoona, you stay here and make sure that no one eats. Naeun and I will stop by at the market to see if there's anything good to buy," Taecyeon ordered, grabbing a jacket from his bag. 

"Wait, I need to change!" Naeun exclaimed.

"It's pretty early in the morning. I doubt anyone will be there except for the workers. Come on, Naeun. Here, take my jacket if you want," he said, tossing the jacket he had. Naeun gasped and blushed when her hands touched the soft cotton. She quickly slipped it on, feeling warm and fuzzy.

Yoona frowned. "Can't I come, too? Let's make Myungsoo stay back!"

"He's sleeping, Yoona. Anyway, we'll be back soon. I promise," he told her, patting her head. For some reason, Yoona's cheeks flushed re. She nodded her head shyly, then backed away from his hand. Not noticing anything, Taecyeon slipped on his shoes and walked out the door with Naeun, who led him the way to the family market.

From the door, Yoona waved them a goodbye, then closed it when she couldn't see the pair. While she closed the door, she sighed and leaned against wall, slowly banging her head against it.

What are you doing, Im Yoona? Get ahold of yourself! she told herself. She quickly slapped her cheeks with both of her hands, took a deep breath, then marched back to the kitchen, firmly guarding it so that no one could go ahead and grab a bowl of cereal.

 

As Taecyeon had said, there were hardly anyone on the streets. They would occasionally see a few runners, but the athletic people always jogged to the opposite direction of where the two were going. The streetlights were still on, shining on the black asphalt with their artificial orange light. It was cold, but to Naeun, she was burning hot.

This is perfect! Naeun thought. You're wearing Taecyeon's jacket and you're alone with him. This is the perfect situation! I wish I fixed myself before I came out, though…

"So…" Taecyeon slowly started. He never liked it when the conversations went quiet. It always bugged him, no matter how comfortable the silence was.

Naeun yelped and nervously looked around. "Y-Yes?"

"Last night, Myungsoo picked you, huh?" he reminded her. He glanced below her, and found her as red as a beet.

"W-What?" she stuttered. "T-That doesn't really matter to me…"

"Oh really? You're pretty red. Are you happy?" he asked her.

Happy? Why on earth would she be happy? Of course, Naeun was happy, but still. There was no reason for her heart to thump, not to mention that there was no reason for her to be overly excited about the situation. A small smile crept upon her lips when she remembered how Myungsoo had chosen her over Yoona. The warm, funny feeling was much more lively than her feelings for Taecyeon, but that could only mean that she liked Myungsoo more than Taecyeon.

"I g-guess… On the other hand, who would you choose, Taecyeon?" Naeun asked, hoping that she would hear her name.

"Between you and Yoona? That's pretty hard. I'd choose Yoona, though. She's been a really good friend to me, and I'd like to keep that friendship," he said, grinning to himself.

Naeun pouted. "Oh. It would've been nice to hear you choose me, though."

"That's my personal preference. If you want me to flatter you, I guess I can pick you. Honestly, if you were my close friend before Yoona, I would've chose you."

She was happy, but it was more of an appreciation. Naeun frowned. Why was she having so much trouble finding out who she liked? It was obvious that she liked Taecyeon, but whenever she thought of Myungsoo, she would be even more happy. 

"Can I ask you something?" Naeun asked.

"Sure, anything," Taecyeon replied.

"How do you know if you like someone?"

"Excuse me?"

"How do you know if you're in love?" Naeun paused, then blushed. "Y-You see, this is for my friend. She always had this crush on someone, but whenever she was with another guy, she would be even happier. Though the guy who made her really happy was her friend, so there's no way for her to like him, right?"

Taecyeon looked up at the sky, which was colored in a nice shade of dawn orange. He thought about her question carefully. For him, it was similar to his situation where he would be made fun of with Yoona. The two were always told to be a good match, but until now, Taecyeon never really liked her more than just a friend.

What made her suddenly like Yoona in a romantic way? She certainly never made him happy. In fact, she was a package of complaints and whines, not to mention that she also came with a set of troubles and foolishness. She was a crybaby at most of the time, yet other guys found her attractive with whatever facial expression she made. She never really liked dogs, either, and Taecyeon was in love with dogs…

"I think that friends can be more than friends, but I don't exactly know why," he said slowly. "My neighbors and friends would always tease me with Yoona, saying that we ought to get married when we're older. We always found that to be a really lame joke, and brought up the topic that the two of us could never fall in love, until–"

Until I fell in love, Taecyeon finished. He sighed, then turned to Naeun. "Really, I don't know how love works, but why not love her friend?"

"But isn't it wrong?" Naeun blurted. "I mean, it's not right, is it? Two people were really close friends, but now since one person wants to love, there's no way that the relationship can work, right?"

"I don't know. Did your friend try it out?" Taecyeon asked. Naeun shook her head. "Then you can't really say much about their relationship."

"Then what about her former crush? What becomes of him?"

"Memories. Hopefully good memories, but sometimes they're painful memories."

"But doesn't she love the former crush?"

"Truth is, if she likes her friend in a more romantic way than the crush, then it's most likely that she's not in love with the crush anymore. Like I said, the crush will become a memory, and the new friend will be her new crush. The only difference with the new crush is whether or not she's going to take the chance to confess or do the same as the former crush," Taecyeon explained.

"But I still have this odd feeling in my chest. Like, I kind of don't want to move on to this new love," Naeun said.

Oh, so this was all about her, huh, he thought, recognizing how she used different pronouns. "Why don't you tell your former crush that you liked him? Maybe that'll help."

He stopped when he realized that they arrived at the family market. He dragged her inside, but before the two could step into the building, Naeun pulled away and gently rubbed her wrists. She nervously looked down for a few minutes, cleared , then looked at Taecyeon with her usual large eyes.

"U-Um, Taecyeon… I'm going to take your advice, and I'm going to say it: I really liked you. When you became my tutor, you were my ideal guy and I really wanted you to like me back. I tried to impress you, but Myungsoo and Yoona usually got in the way. Still, I really liked you, but lately my feelings are starting to change and I l-like this other guy now. S-So… So I'm sorry! I'm really sorry! I really liked you, but now I don't, so I'm really sorry!" Naeun apologized, looking down at the ground.

The taller boy stared at her for a few seconds, clearly dumbfounded by her confession. He pointed at himself, then back at Naeun, who shyly began to look up. 

"Wait a minute. You liked me?" he asked.

"S-Should I say something else?" Naeun questioned quietly.

"N…No. No, there's nothing else to say. Um, yeah. Thanks for telling me your feelings, but I'm not able to return them," Taecyeon said with a sympathetic expression.

"I know, I know. You like Yoona, don't you?" she asked, walking besides him.

His ears turned red. "H-Hey! We're talking about your love life, not mine!"

But I do like Yoona, he thought, smiling to himself. I really do like Yoona.

 

Half an hour later, Yoona heard the door open. She jumped out of her seat like a puppy and ran towards the two. Naeun happily skipped pass Yoona, running over to tell Myungsoo about her little chat with Taecyeon. Yoona raised her eyebrow, obviously confused about her sudden happiness.

"What happened?" Yoona asked, trying to take half the grocery form Taecyeon's hand. Instead, Taecyeon pulled the bags closer to him, telling her that he could handle the heavy ingredients. The two walked into the kitchen, getting ready to make breakfast for their friends.

"Remember how we had this conversation where all the guys liked you and none of the girls were interested in me?" Taecyeon asked. Yoona nodded her head, clearly remembering how on their first day of high school, they had a conversation like that. "Well, I just got my first confession!"

"What do you mean?" she asked, frowning.

"Naeun confessed to me. I actually got someone who liked me! Isn't that great? Man, I feel like a guy again," he said, grinning from ear-to-ear.

Yoona froze when she heard his boastful news. She slowly pulled out the egg carton from the bag and placed them on the counter. She kept quiet for a few minutes, unsure of what to say. Was she supposed to congratulate him? Even if she was, she couldn't.

"I-I see. So did you say anything back to her?" Yoona asked.

"Of course I rejected her. I mean, she was telling me that she used to like me. Weren't you listening, dummy?" Taecyeon retorted, rolling his eyes.

Yoona turned red in embarrassment. "I-I was listening! I was just curious if she wanted to say anything else, that's all."

"And guess what else I found out?" He looked around, then leaned close to Yoona's ear. Startled from the closeness, Yoona backed away, but close enough to hear him whisper. "I found out that she has a crush on Myungsoo now."

The younger girl's eyes glimmered with excitement. "Seriously? Oh my gosh, this is going to be so cute! After all, Myungsoo also likes–"

"I like Yoona, idiot! Why would I like you like that?" a loud voice blurted.

Yoona and Taecyeon glanced at each other, then rushed to the living room. They found Myungsoo getting up, grabbing his blanket while storming up the stairs. Naeun sat still, stunned from the harsh treatment she got. The little girl looked up to see Taecyeon and Yoona give her a sympathetic expression. Yoona slowly walked over to Naeun, then cautiously bent down next to her.

"Naeun, what happened?" Yoona asked in her softest voice.

"I… I was just telling him about my conversation with Taecyeon, and when I asked if he liked anyone, he just–" Naeun stared at Yoona, then began to tear up. "H-He just told me that he didn't like him and liked you." She looked over Yoona's shoulder and saw Taecyeon approach her. "You lied…"

Taecyeon widened his eyes. "Wait, what?"

"You said that childhood love might work, but it doesn't work. It doesn't wo…"

Naeun found herself under Yoona's embrace. As Yoona gently patted Naeun's back, she broke into small whimpers and began to cry, upset how her new crush turned out to love someone else. Yoona turned to Taecyeon, mouthing him to go up and see what Myungsoo was doing. He gave her a thumbs up, then rush over upstairs, trying to find where Myungsoo was.

In a few minutes, he opened a door and found Myungsoo hanging around in the small study room. Taecyeon faced his back, and watched him look out the window with uncertainty. Knowing that the two needed to have a guy talk, he closed the door behind him and walked over to Myungsoo's side.

"What happened there, man?" Taecyeon asked.

"Shut up. Don't talk to me like you're my friend," Myungsoo replied coldly.

"Okay, then. What did Naeun tell you?"

"Everything."

"Be more specific."

"Be less bossy."

Taecyeon widened his eyes, bewildered by Myungsoo's behavior. "Fine. I don't know what's going on, but let me tell you that Naeun confessed to me and I rejected her–"

"And that's your biggest mistake," Myungsoo muttered, rubbing his forehead. "Why did you reject her? I'll have you know, Naeun is the most wonderful girl you'll ever meet. Sure, she's bossy and can act like a spoiled kid, but she knows how to make someone happy. She's cute and sweet, and she's always willing to help. If you're looking down on her 'cause she's a kid, then you're losing the best kid ever. She's an amazing girl, and even though she's dependent on people, she can be a leader around a group."

Myungsoo knew he was being a jerk, but he couldn't help it. He was always sick and tired of Naeun talking about Taecyeon. However, when he heard that she confessed to Taecyeon, he felt like his love just came crushing down. The strange actions she expressed last night were supposed to be his ticket to winning her love; it was supposed to help him keep hope for his love. When Naeun asked her if he liked anyone, what else was he supposed to say? Surely she wouldn't buy the common answer, "no one," but she definitely wouldn't want to hear her name. At the spur of the moment, he just had to say Yoona's name. Besides, he did have a crush on Yoona before, so he wasn't exactly lying.

"You say all this while claiming that you like Yoona. I'll have you know, Naeun doesn't like me anymore. Her confession said that she used to like me. She even mentioned that she likes someone else."

"I don't believe you," Myungsoo mumbled. "It must be great having such an awesome girl to confess to you."

"If you haven't noticed, I like Yoona."

"I like Yoona, too."

"I don't think so."

"Why?"

"Because in my eyes, you seem to be a lot happier with Naeun by your side, and that's what Naeun and I were talking about earlier. Plus, you always turn red when you talk about her," Taecyeon pointed out.

"I do not turn red!" Myungsoo protested.

"Why don't you go down and look in the mirror? I'll be downstairs making breakfast," Taecyeon said, patting Myungsoo's back. He managed to grab a nearby hand mirror and handed it to the middle school boy, who took it and threw it on the mattress. The older boy rolled his eyes and walked out of the room, leaving Myungsoo alone to think.

After a few minutes, Myungsoo reached over for the mirror and looked at himself. He looked perfectly fine in his opinion. He wasn't sure what Taecyeon exactly meant by turning red from hearing Naeun's name. Was he blind?

Of course he is, Myungsoo thought, rolling his eyes. After all, he didn't know about Naeun being such a good girl.

He checked his facial features, looking side to side, checking his cheeks. He cleared his throat, paused, then stared at his own reflection.

"Yoona," he said to himself.

He wasn't turning red.

"Naeun," he whispered.

His ears went red.