The Stage

Tending the Roses

The day of the festival had arrived. Students of various grades flooded the large school building. The pathways, which were to guide the students into the building, were filled with people squeezing to get to booths (which were at the side of the road) and to the building. The concrete stairs led the arriving guests to the long, three-story structure. Rows of glass window lined up neatly against each story, making it visible to see how busy it was inside the school. The track and field at the back of the school was used as a place to have a picnic, where family members and friends could sit down at a table and buy something to eat for lunch.

As the cold, autumn air began to blow, Yoona and Taecyeon arrived at the middle school with no problem. Yoona was dressed in a thin sweater and a pair of skinny jeans. Taecyeon, who had worn a thick leather jacket, tried to convince her to wear a jacket. However, she had declared that she did not need to wear a jacket since the two would spend more time indoors than outdoors. It was when Yoona started sneezing that Taecyeon gave her a haughty look.

"Who was the one who told you to bring a jacket, huh?" Taecyeon asked, looking through his bag. He pulled out a red scarf made out of cotton. "Here. I stuffed it in my backpack just in case. Besides, it matches your pink sweater."

The girl sniffed and rubbed her nose as she gratefully accepted the scarf. "Gosh, if you had a scarf, you should've told me that earlier! Are you trying to make me get sick?"

"Says the girl who refused to bring a jacket."

"Shut up."

The two entered the school, where several classrooms had open doors. Some of the rooms had lines outside, while others had none at all. Yoona grew excited as she stared at all the fun activities. She took a deep breath through her nose, then let out a comfortable sigh.

"This feels so nostalgic," she commented. "Hurry! I want to see Myungsoo act–"

"Hold it," Taecyeon said, looking at a small brochure he received from one of the middle school students. "It says here that the play doesn't start until two. It's only twelve, so we have to wait two hours before we can see him." There was a horrified look on Yoona's face. "Meanwhile, why don't we go ahead and get something to eat? I heard someone say that there was a classroom holding up a cute cake shop in the second floor."

"We have to use stairs? Aw, come on! Can't we just take a peek?" Yoona pleaded.

"Nope! Come on. Maybe we can see Myungsoo and Naeun somewhere else. Just make sure you stick close to me, okay?" Taecyeon said. After a moment of silence, he quickly turned around. Although there were students and young adults in the hall, he couldn't find Yoona at all. He let out a loud sigh, then frowned as he tried to search for Yoona through the busy crowd.

After twenty minutes of searching, he decided to go to the second floor and find the cake shop. He expected Yoona to be there, but his hope sunk down as he realized that she wasn't there. Instead of Yoona, he saw a familiar girl approach him with her eyes down on the notepad.

"Hello, sir! Will you be requesting for a single table, couple table or a family table?"

"Naeun? Is that you in a maid costume?" Taecyeon asked, widening his eyes. The young girl looked up, then turned beet red. She gasped and she tried to pull down her skirt, which were already below her knee.

"T-T-Taecyeon! You weren't supposed to see me yet!" Naeun stuttered.

"I wasn't what?"

"U-Um, nothing." She looked behind him. "Is Yoona not with you?"

"Nope. I think she went ahead to see Myungsoo. I told her I'd be here, but she seemed to have completely forgotten about me the moment we stepped inside," Taecyeon said, letting out a soft laugh. "Anyway, I'll have the single table."

"You'll be a-alone?" Naeun asked, feeling her heart race. This must be fate! This is my chance! I just got to ask someone to run my shift for a few minutes!

"Actually, a hunk like him doesn't need a single table. Make that a couple table, please," a seductive voice behind them requested. Naeun's eyes grew wide as she spotted the unfamiliar face behind Taecyeon.

The strange was, indeed, very beautiful. Her glossy brown hair was perfect for her deep brown eyes, which shimmered under the lights. She was tall and thin, not to mention that she had an alluring curve. The shirt she was wearing hugged her waist, and her black skinny jeans didn't have to emphasize how attractive her long legs were. The smile she put on captivated almost all the boys in the room, and the way she had her hands on Taecyeon's shoulders caused them to look like a perfect couple.

Who is she? Naeun wondered. Does Taecyeon know her?

"Um, excuse me, but would you please not touch my shoulder?" Taecyeon asked, brushing her away. The charming woman stopped smiling, then let out a flirty giggle. She lightly punched his arm, but her over-familiarity just made him more confused. Seeing this, she stopped giggling and gasped.

"Oh my gosh. Do you really not remember me? We went to middle school together! Don't you remember? I'm Bora!" she introduced, pointing at herself.

Bora… Bora… Oh yeah. "Yoona told me about you a few weeks ago."

"Yoona? Oh gosh, you still hang out with her? Does that mean you're dating her?" Bora asked. She paused, then glanced behind her. "Actually, let's go talk about this at the couple table. There's a line behind us."

It was true. Some kids were anxiously waiting to get inside; they were excited to have cake in their tiny mouths. A few couples (middle school students and high school students) looked a bit annoyed, since some wanted to explore the other rooms or had to go back to their shifts soon. Taecyeon quickly nodded his head in agreement and turned back to Naeun, who seemed pale and a bit upset. She hesitantly led them to one corner, where there were only two chairs.

After ordering two orange juice and two slices of strawberry cake, Naeun mumbled something under and walked away to get their order. Taecyeon awkwardly positioned himself in his seat, unsure of what to say to Bora. He had almost no memories of her, and he was sure that she was going bring out the past. Bora, who noticed the uncomfortable aura around him, gave him a gentle smile.

"It's been a long time, Taecyeon. I've never thought that I'd see you again," she said.

"Um, yeah. It's nice to see you, too," Taecyeon replied.

"Getting back to my question earlier… Are you dating Yoona?" Bora asked.

Before he could answer, a plastic cup of orange juice was slammed down at their table. He widened his eyes and looked up at Naeun, who gave Bora an annoyed look. Naeun lazily threw a plate of strawberry shortcake at Bora's side of the table. Bora raised an eyebrow and shot the middle school student a judging look. In return, Naeun flashed a smile and completely ignored her. She gently placed the cup of orange juice and the plate of cake in front of Taecyeon.

"Your meal is serve," Naeun said. "Make sure that when you go out, you pay for the two tickets you had to buy from the front of the school."

Taecyeon widened his eyes. "Tickets? What tickets?"

"I got it," Bora said, giving Naeun two red tickets. "We can pay now, right?"

Naeun scowled and snatched away the two tickets as she walked away from their table. Bora stared at her for a few more minutes, then scoffed.

"Middle school kids. So childish and naive," Bora muttered coldly.

"What was that?" Taecyeon asked.

"Hm? Oh, nothing. I see that you forgot abut the ticket, huh? Here, I'll lend you some of mine. I'm planning to go early after this," Bora said, giving him twenty tickets. He gasped and quickly shook his head.

"Oh, no! I shouldn't take that many. Here, let me pay–"

"Why pay? I'm giving this to you as a gift. You can throw it away if you want," Bora said, pushing the tickets into his hand.

"But I feel guilty…"

"It's fine, it's fine. Just let a girl do what she wants to do," Bora responded. She checked her watch, then widened her eyes. "Woah! I'm going to be late for the play."

Did time fly by that fast? Taecyeon wondered, noticing that the play was going to start in forty minutes. "You still have plenty of time."

"Well, I want to get the best seat. My friend came from out of state, and her cousin is performing in that play. His name is Kim Myungsoo. Do you know him? I heard that he's going to be one of the lead!"

He widened his eyes. "Myungsoo? I'm going to watch him perform, too!"

"Are you serious? What a coincidence! We should start heading to the theatre room right now." A pause. "Hey, you still haven't answered my question."

"What question?" Taecyeon asked, taking a calm sip of orange juice. 

"Are you dating Yoona or not?" she asked, slightly tilting her head. The older boy kept quiet for a few minutes. His lips were still on the clear plastic straw, and the sunset-colored liquid filled up the gap. He continued to play with his drink until he noticed Bora's anxious look.

"No, I'm not," Taecyeon answered. He frowned, not liking how he responded to her question. She looked at him twice. Her soft, brown eyes turned into an intimate stare, as if she was studying him and wondering if he was lying or not. A few moments later, Bora flashed him a smile and got up from her seat.

"Well, why don't we go and check out Myungsoo together?" Bora suggested.

"Can't. I need to find Yoona–"

"She's probably roaming around! She can wait. Besides," Bora continued, pulling Taecyeon out of his seat by grabbing ahold of his hand, "when will you ever spend some more quality time with me?"

Taecyeon agreed by nodding his head, but his sharp eyes noticed that she was going for an alternative goal that he didn't know.

 

The stage was set, actors and actresses were gathered together, and the audience began to settle down in their seats. All Myungsoo had to do was remember his lines, gather up his courage, and get ready to act his best on stage. However, as he began to think about how judgemental people were going to be, he felt sick. He claimed that he was ill and had to call for a replacement, but everyone assured him that he was fine. His problem only grew worse when a certain someone somehow came onto the backstage, distracting the people he had to practice with for his script.

"Myungsoo, I can't believe you didn't tell us that Yoona was coming here! This is perfect!" Soyou, one of the main actress in the play, exclaimed. Myungsoo let out a nervous laugh as he stared down at the script.

The script itself was crazy, yet it was almost an original. The play was created by the students, who had come up with the idea a few weeks ago. Three typical princesses–Cinderella, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty–came together from a worm hole that dropped them off into a different dimension. In the dimension, they face the reality of life and how love actually works, causing them to leave their ideal happy ending and to fend for themselves. In the end, all the princesses would be back-stabbed by the three other "princes" they met. Myungsoo was in charge of playing the "eyecandy prince" who attracted all the princesses, but only had his eyes for a disgusting, monstrous creature who seduces him into killing the princessess.

Apparently, Yoon had played the maid in Romeo and Juliet, as her role for Juliet was suited for a girl named "Bora." She gave several tips about being a princess, which was useless seeing how the timeline between the two different plays was different. Nevertheless, she continued on about her stories in theatre, and all the girls were enthused with the little tale, seeking for more information and encouragement. It was when someone told him that they had ten minutes until curtains were up that Myungsoo grabbed Yoona's thin wrist and pulled her away from the group of girls.

"Yoona, the play is going to start in ten minutes. Can you leave now?" Myungsoo pleaded desperately.

"First you invite me to see your play, and now you kick me out? That's not cool, Myungsoo. What do you think Naeun will say about this?" Yoona asked, shaking her head.

Myungsoo's cheeks burned red. "C-Can you just go? You're embarrassing me!"

"Okay, fine, fine! If you need me, though, I'll be in the audience–"

"Bad news, everyone!" a student who had a backstage pass shouted, bursting into the rooms. Everyone stared at the panting boy, who was slightly pale and nervous. "Dahee said she felt sick and that she wasn't going to make it!"

Yoona leaned close to Myungsoo. "Who's Dahee?"

"The girl who's supposed to be playing the monster girl." There was a moment of pause. "She's also the girl I rejected."

"Heartbreak." Yoona clicked her tongue and shook her head. "That's one of the toughest illness to cure. Can't do much about a broken heart."

"Well," another student, who seemed to be the director, started, "she didn't have a lot of lines. She only flirts with Myungsoo, and that's about it. Then she just snears and everything. Does anyone want to take over her place?"

No one raised their hand. Maybe it was the fact that having a few lines wasn't worth being on stage, or just hissing at the actors was embarrassing. Myungsoo skimmed around, wondering what would happen. He thought that there would be some kind of backup, but it seemed like everyone thought that Dahee was going to make it. Suddenly, Yoona raised her hand.

"Does the actress have to be a middle school student?" Yoona asked.

"Preferably, yes. However, I think I can make it an exception if it's a high school student."

Yoona wiggled her eyebrows and grinned. Myungsoo stared in horror, hoping that Yoona wasn't thinking of what he was thinking.

"Myungsoo, this is a sign!" Yoona squealed. "This is my chance to sing!" She turned to the director. "I'm in! Where can I sign up…?"

 

Naeun had somehow found Taecyeon with his new partner (if she remembered, her name was Bora). It wasn't like she was spying on them. It more like she was… watching over them, in case that the girl had a different idea and planned to get in her way. Wasn't it already established that Taecyeon and her were the perfect match? Why would any other girl (except for Yoona) try to step on her territory?

The little girl took a seat behind the two, watching them instead of the stage. The red curtains began to pull apart, waving their heavy frabic as they opened the stage to the audience. Everyone in the room began to clap, excited to see their sons, daughters, friends, or even siblings to preform. At that moment, a familiar girl took a seat next to Bora and smiled at them. Naeun gasped as she realized that the new addition was Hyorin.

That rascal! She's trying to set my Taecyeon up with another woman! How dare she do this to me! Naeun thought, narrowing her eyes.

"When did you two meet?" Hyorin asked in a low tone. "I remember seeing him at Myungsoo's community garden a couple of time. Where's your other friend?"

"We went to middle school together! I had a huge crush on him in the past," Bora explained. "We kind of decided to meet up and chat for a bit. Then we figured out that we were going to watch your cousin act, so we came here together."

"Oh, I see! You know, after the play, I'm going to show Myungsoo a lesson or two. How dare he not invite me to this festival! I only heard that he was acting when his friends told me."

"I thought you were supposed to be in America?" Taecyeon pointed out.

"I was, but my mother called and said to stay here over the autumn. Apparently, my grandmother fell ill, so if I go back, then no one will be able to take care of me. Besides, I'm fitting along just fine. The weather's strange, but it's lovely," Hyorin explained. "Anyway, Bora here is my friend. We hung out just recently, and she's the one who got me tickets here!"

"Tickets seem to be your thing, huh?" Taecyeon joked, chuckling.

Naeun gasped. Taecyeon was laughing with another woman! Was he cheating on her? Her eyes and ears were too focused on the trio as the play started. All she could remember was that three female students seemed to be the main, the props were ugly, and the romance seemed fake. She never really liked acting and such. It was tiring, and the performances the school put up with were just below average. Everyone else seemed to be enjoying it, and Naeun couldn't understand why.

"My beautiful mistress! I have come to speak with you!" a familiar voice recited. She looked up, and widened her eyes as she saw Myungsoo literally glow on stage. He was wearing a funny-looking costume, with a prince-like outfit and a royal black cape. Her heart skipped a beat, and her cheeks grew slightly red. Nevertheless, she pulled her eyes away to look at Taecyeon. Taecyeon looked amused for a few moments, but then he seemed plenty shock afterwards. She looked up at the stage, and dropped her jaws as another figure approached on the stage: Yoona.

She was wearing a long, white dress that was torn and beaten. Not only that, but her hair was pulled up in a strange, snake-like way. Her usual pale skin was painted in a thick, green gooey substance. She walked to the center of the stage, showing her bare foot, which was also dunked in the same green paint.

"Why, oh handsome Prince, have you come for me?" Yoona made a sharp turn around, showing her back to Myungsoo. "Do you plan to rip out my head? If so, do it now, for I have no other reason to live. My husband have died, and my children have perished. I am alone now, and I'd like to be with my family."

"Then why not create a new family with me?" Myungsoo quoted, grabbing ahold of Yoona's delicate hands. Naeun felt her heart flinch at the sight. 

What's going on? she wondered, feeling nervous and anxious. Oh my gosh… What's going on?

"Why in the world is Yoona up there? If she was going on stage, she should've told me!" Taecyeon muttered to himself, checking his phone.

"No, I possibly can't! My heart is only for someone else," Yoona tempted. Yoona looked at the audience, trying to find Taecyeon. Once she did find him, she gave him a small smile (although it looked like a sneaky smirk). However, her faint smile had dropped when she saw a familiar figure sitting next to Taecyeon. She quietly gasped when she realized that the girl was Bora, who gave her an evil smirk.

"Then make your heart for me! I will do anything!" Myungsoo exclaimed, grabbing ahold of Yoona's chin and leaning close to her face. It almost looked like they were going to kiss. Naeun paled, then tried to avoid looking at the stage. Taecyeon was scared, wondering if Yoona was actually going to kiss him. He felt his mind go blank as his chest had an odd, loud thumping sound.

However, the two didn't kiss. Instead, Yoona leaned close to his ears, whispered out the words to kill the main characters. Myungsoo calmly nodded his head, as he received a peck on the forehead. The "monstrous creature" walked out of the stage, laughing hysterically to herself. Myungsoo, too, walked off, throwing his cape on the ground as if it was a symbolic meaning of promise. Naeun and Taecyeon both calmed down, and tried to relieve themselves by busying their mind with other thoughts.

At the end of the play, Yoona was excited, glad about how well the show was. She tried to speak with Myungsoo, but he kept diverting her eyes and refused to look at her face. She didn't mind so much, but she ran away to find Taecyeon. Nevertheless, Myungsoo stood behind, preparing to change for his new clothes. One of the drama member staff walked over to him, patting his shoulder.

"Man, are you okay?" he asked. "You seem really red over there."

Indeed, Myungsoo was red. He was rubbing his forehead with his fingers, thinking about that one kiss he had with Yoona. He knew it wasn't on the lips, but he swore that when he had leaned close to her face, it felt like they were kissing.

That afternoon, something had happened to the four: Yoona was jealous, Taecyeon was worried, Naeun was confused, and Myungsoo was nervous. Though above that, a few had realized their feelings for each other, while some had mixed feelings.

Yoona was jealous of Taecyeon's new friend, Taecyeon was still figuring out his feelings, Naeun was wondering why she felt like she had a crush on Myungsoo, and Myungsoo fell in love with the wrong girl.