Pink

Tending the Roses

"Taecyeon, I don't understand this problem. As my tutor, will you help me solve this–"

"Oh, that problem is so easy. I can solve it right now for you. I mean, if Taecyeon doesn't mind, I'd love to solve this problem for you..."

"Kim Myungsoo, quit it! I'm asking my tutor, not you," Naeun hissed, glaring at her friend. The problem she was asking help for was frankly easy. She only wanted to have more time with Taecyeon, and she was sure that if she kept this up, then Taecyeon would soon fall in love with her. However, once again she faced two problems: Yoona and Myungsoo.

Yoona kept staring at Naeun in an odd manner, as if she was studying her every move. Not only that, but she was sitting far away from them near a patch of yellow roses, which had yet began to bloom. Myungsoo, no matter what kind of sign Naeun gave him, would not go near Yoona and accompany her. Instead, he kept sitting in between Taecyeon and Naeun, invading their conversation and study session.

"I don't think there's a problem for your friend to help you. After all, he's been through all this like me," Taecyeon said with a soft smile. Naeun opened to say something, but quickly kept quiet after realizing that there wasn't much to say. Myungsoo smirked and began to help Naeun with her math homework. Meanwhile, Taecyeon decided to take a five minute break and crept towards Yoona, who had her eyes glued on the young friends.

"What are you doing here? Why don't you join us? You look like a creep from where we're sitting," Taecyeon said, grinning.

"I'm trying to see how far Myungsoo has progressed with Naeun," Yoona whispered. She stared at them for a little longer, then clicked her tongue. "Look at them... They're in young love! Oh, how I wished that I had that kind of love!"

"Young love? I see Naeun being annoyed and Myungsoo acting a bit too close," Taecyeon mumbled, rubbing his chin. "I ought to teach him a thing or two about approaching a girl. He's obviously trying to hard."

"Well, I'm sorry that I can't tell what the exact situation is from here, Mr. Cupid. Why don't you shoot me a love arrow with another handsome guy? Maybe I can learn a thing or two about love, right?" she said, sticking out her tongue.

"Okay, first of all, Cupid doesn't even exist. Second of all, he's clumsy, and I'm not. I mean, who in the world would prick themselves with their own arrows?" he retorted, rolling his eyes.

"At least Cupid found love..."

"It didn't seem like real love, though. He depended on those arrows to fall in love."

"But the point is that he fell in love, and that's good enough for me." Yoona heaved a sigh. "Maybe I should start dating random guys..."

"Shut up, you already have a ton of other guys who like you. It's always me chasing after other girls," Taecyeon muttered. 

"Well, who knows. We might find love soon, or maybe later. Love is something that time gives us. You can't be too fast, or too slow. If you are, then you'll just lose everything in sight," she advised, clipping off a yellow rose. "I looked up what yellow roses mean on the internet, and it means 'friendship.' To our friendship, and hope that we both find love, too!"

He took the yellow rose, and gave her a small smile. "To our friendship... and hope that love comes to find us both."

 

"Naeun, are you busy?"

"What? I'm not in the mood. If it's about Myungsoo, then I don't want to talk about it. He seriously killed the romantic atmosphere I created for my future love! I won't forgive him that easily..." Naeun narrowed her eyes, gritting her teeth as she remembered about what happened two days ago.

"Actually, it's precisely about Myungsoo. My name is Jisoo, first year. I'm in the class next to yours." Jisoo turned to her other friend, who was shyly hiding behind her back. "This is Dahee, my friend. She's in the same class as you."

"Oh... Well, nice to meet you Dahee," Naeun said, awkwardly shaking her classmate's hand, "but I don't get how this relates to Myungsoo."

"Dahee wants to confess–"

"Not so loud!" the girl with blond, Dahee, exclaimed. "H-He might be around here..."

"Well, I support you one-hundred percent. He's been getting in my way, so I really need to get rid of him for a while. Go ahead, confess! He's totally going to love you. If he doesn't, tell me. I'll make him like you," Naeun said, pumping her fist in the air. She continued to pack her bag, humming a small tune for herself. When she realized that the two girls hadn't moved, she stopped singing and looked up. "Um, yes?"

Jisoo looked back at Dahee, who kept silent. She heaved a loud sigh, then turned her attention back to Naeun.

"Aren't you and Myungsoo dating?" Jisoo asked.

Naeun paused, then laughed. "What? Me? Date him? Where in the world would you get that?"

"W-Well, we've just heard that Myungsoo likes yo–"

"Y-Yoona!" said a breathless, frantic voice. The girls turned around, and Myungsoo stood at the door, panting with a red face. He stormed up to the girls, then stood in between them.

"Yoona? You like Yoona? That's got to be a lie," Naeun muttered to herself. 

"Y-Yeah. That's what you were going to tell Naeun, right? That there was a rumor about me liking a girl named Yoona?" Myungsoo asked anxiously, trying to keep his secret hidden. This girl obviously knows that I have a crush on Naeun.

"No, actually, I was going to say that there were rumors of you liking Na–"

"Nail designs!" Myungsoo finished. "I like nail designs, too. I just never wanted to paint them on my nails yet..."

Jisoo frowned, knowing that there was something suspicious going around. It was clear that Myungsoo was trying to prevent Naeun from knowing that the conversation was directed towards her, but why? She turned around to Dahee, who was stunned to see such a handsome figure approach them. Deciding on to push the conversation to a different topic, Jisoo pulled Dahee to the front and gently tapped her to approach Myungsoo.

"Anyways, this girl has a thing or two to say to you," Jisoo said.

Dahee's lips trembled a bit, but she quickly shoved a letter into his hands. "P-Please accept t-this!"

Before Myungsoo had to say anything about the pink letter, the two girls ran out of the classroom. He paused, then opened the letter with his brisky hands. The only movement his body made were his eyes, which ran across throughout the neatly written note. Naeun tip-toed to see what was written on the letter, but her height was no match for his.

"What does it say? Is it a love letter?" Naeun asked.

"Something like that," Myungsoo replied, closing the letter. Seeing this, Naeun frowned. She didn't like how secretive he was, and definitely didn't like how he wouldn't look at her when he said that. The young boy looked down, then gave Naeun an odd look. "What?"

"Well? Aren't you going to share what's on the letter? You've always showed me whatever you had..." Naeun said softly. This caused Myungsoo to blush, but he didn't give her the letter. He put the letter in his pocket and shyly looked away from her puppy-eyes.

"I... It's private," Myungsoo replied. "I'm sure you wouldn't like it if another person saw what you wrote on your love letter, right?"

But I'm never going to write one, Naeun wanted to say. Instead, she raised her nose high in the air and crossed her arms. "Whatever! It's not like I wanted to know what was exactly on it."

But in her heart, she was awfully curious.

 

"A play? You? Acting? Ha! That's almost ridiculous. Actually, I really want to see it. When is it?" Yoona asked. Although she seemed to have an interest with Myungsoo's news, there was a wide grin that suppressed a giggle. Taecyeon could only smile, but his body shook as he thought of the funny news. The middle school student turned red and raised the same pink letter he had received just a few hours ago.

"I-It's not that big of a deal! I was just asked to participate because they thought my image would appeal to the audience. D-Don't laugh! Seriously, stop laughing!" Myungsoo shouted, clearly embarrassed. Yoona let out a burst of laughter, holding her stomach with her arms while Taecyeon looked away, chuckling. Myungsoo heaved a sigh, then put the envelope down to his side. He waited for the two high school students to stop laughing or to calm down. Once the two were able to give him an eased smile, Taecyeon began to speak first.

"But what's this all of the sudden? Is your school holding up a festival or something?" Taecyeon asked.

"I've heard that the festival would take place in a month from tomorrow, so a lot of clubs are probably preparing for that. Anyways, I'm asking you two to come because I got two pre-made festival tickets for anyone outside of the school," Myungsoo explained.

"Why don't you invite your parents?" Yoona suggested.

"To see me act? No, no, no! That's way too embarrassing. I'd rather have you two come. Besides, I'm probably doing this one girl a huge favor..." Myungsoo mumbled, looking at Taecyeon with envious eyes. The older boy blinked his eyes in a clueless manner, obliviously that he was talking about Naeun. Yoona gave him a sympathetic smile and patted his back. Suddenly, Myungsoo turned bright pink, but he quickly hid his face by looking down, pretending to be more upset than he actually was.

"Okay, we'll go, but I can't guaranteed that we'll stay for long. I'll definitely go to see you act, though," she said. "Does Naeun know that you're acting?"

"N-No," he stuttered. "I haven't told her."

"So you're going to tell her tomorrow?" Taecyeon asked.

"Um... Actually, there's something else with the letter." Myungsoo pulled out a long letter written in a girly hand-writing. Yoona's eyes sparkled, while Taecyeon gave him an amused look. She quickly snatched the letter away from his hands, reading the earnest words.

"Who wrote this? Naeun? Myungsoo, did you actually do something romantic?" she asked.

"No, this is from another girl. She gave it to me with the tickets. Her name was Dahee, and she's in the drama club. Apparently, she had a crush on me when I helped her pick up some books she dropped–"

"What a typical, cliché moment," Taecyeon commented.

"–but I don't remember when I helped her. Actually, I don't even remember helping her."

"You're rejecting her?"

"Well, shouldn't I be doing that?"

Yoona clasped her hands together. "No, you should use this girl to make Naeun jealous!" She turned back to Myungsoo, who had a terrified look on his face. "This is perfect! Use this girl's feelings and make sure that Naeun gets jealous. Then, there's no way that Naeun will deny her true feelings!"

Taecyeon frowned and smacked the back of her head. "You know, when a girl says this, it sounds much more scary and evil. Anyways, Myungsoo, I say that you reject her. You have no clue who she is, and dating a stranger is kind of scary."

"Well, but she knows me. Technically, I'm not a stranger then, right?" Myungsoo pointed out.

"That's why I said to use her," Yoona suggested. "Use this girl to fire Naeun up, and once she confesses her feelings, then dump the temporary girl and–"

The enthusiastic girl earned another smack. 

"Im Yoona, I feel pity for whoever you'll be with in your love life. I sincerely hope that you don't make someone jealous by playing with another's feelings," Taecyeon said, shaking his head while clicking his tongue. He looked at Myungsoo, who seemed uncomfortable with the topic. "Myungsoo, go ahead and do whatever you want. Just remember the consequences about playing with love and carelessly giving it away, okay?"

"Love has consequences... Got it," Myungsoo whispered, barely audible. He looked down at the letter, then stood up. Walking to a bush of roses, he snipped off a pink rose and went back to the other two. Taecyeon and Yoona stared at him while he took out a pen and a small sheet of paper. 

"You know, Myungsoo," Taecyeon started, "you're quite girly, aren't you?"

The young boy felt hot as soon as he heard Yoona snicker at his unique way of replying to one's love.