Monday Morning

Tending the Roses

“Im Yoona, we’re going to be late if you don’t get yourself ready in time! It’s the first day of school, and I want to make some good memories for my last year in high school.”

“Shut up, Ok Taecyeon! If we’re late, we can always ride that rusty bike of yours–Ow! Look what you did to me! You made me poke my eye with my mascara wand.”

A boy with slightly reddish-brown hair groaned. He leaned against the gate that blocked his way from stepping inside his neighbor’s property. He took out his phone and began to play with it, exhausted over how his childhood friend would not come out after using up twenty minutes to just put her makeup.

Girls are so weird, he thought. Yoona already looks pretty without makeup. It’s not like putting a bit of cosmetics will help her win some guy’s heart.

It was a beautiful Monday morning. To Taecyeon, he didn't think that anyone would have to put makeup on. The way the sun was shining on his slightly tanned skin made his face look brighter and how the wind blew ever so gently across his hair gave his well-combed hair a wind-swept look.

Another five minutes had passed, and he heard the door open. He quickly spun around, delighted to see the familiar auburn-haired girl slipping on her shoes. When he looked closely, it seemed like as if she never put makeup on. He smirked at her, while she chewed on her toast.

“What happened to the makeup?” Taecyeon asked.

“Oh, it looked weird on me, so I cleaned my face,” Yoona replied. Then, she pouted. “You rushed me! Why couldn’t you wait for another five minutes? I’m tired of depending on my friends at school to put makeup on me.”

“What did you do during the entire summer? Learn how to be a cake-faced woman? Seriously, if girls want to put something on their face, they might as well put some flour,” he retorted.

“You don’t understand how confident women feel when they put makeup,” she argued, taking out her small mirror from her bag. “I’d like to see you try some eyeliner or something. Maybe BB cream?”

“Whatever, I don’t have time to argue with you. We got to go and catch up to the bus! Our school is nearly two trains away,” the boy said, grabbing his friend’s wrist. Yoona smiled at him with a warm look, but he didn’t look back. The two began to run on the streets, hoping that the bus would wait for them to get on.

Last year, Taecyeon was able to wake up early and ride the bus without running. It was his first time in his high school life where he had to actually run and pray that the bus would stop for him. He would ride the bus to the nearest train station, get a ticket for where his school (which was few miles away from his home) was, and walk to school without any trouble. 

Except today was a bit different because Yoona, a friend of his since elementary and his good, dependable neighbor, decided to go to the same school as he went to.

“Honestly, I thought that you were going to a different school,” Taecyeon said, panting as they got on the bus. Fortunately for him, the bus driver allowed them to get in since he was quite close with Taecyeon. The two took a seat behind the driver.

“No, I’m not really interested in going to the other schools. I think it’s too tiring,” Yoona said. “It’s best if I go to the same school as you so that I can get some advice. Plus...” Her eyes twinkled. “...I can see how your love life starts and ends!”

Taecyeon dropped his jaws. “W-What? L-Love life? Yoona, high school isn’t about love life, okay? It’s about getting into a good college and studying, while making good memories with your friends, not your boyfriend or girlfriend.”

“You’re too boring, Taecyeon,” Yoona said, waving her hand in ignorance. “But you’re not as annoying as my other friends.”

“What? Is putting makeup too boring for you?” he teased. She glared at him and elbowed his arm. He flinched in response and groaned.

“No, makeup is perfectly fun,” Yoona answered. She began to sulk. “But lately, my friends have been telling me that I only came to this school because of you.”

“Isn’t that true? You wanted to use me so that you could take some advice in the future,” Taecyeon said. “Oh, watch out for Mr. Song. He’s a really boring science teacher.”

Yoona giggled. “Okay, I’ll watch out for Mr. Song. Anyways, not about that. I mean, they’ve been talking about me coming here just because I ‘liked’ you.”

Taecyeon bursted into laughter “What? You liking me? Impossible, literally impossible. Yoona, I want to have a dog when I get married. You hate dogs. To me, you’re definitely impossible.”

“I know, right?” Yoona agreed, shaking her head enthusiastically. “So I told them the real reason of coming here, but they just won’t believe me! I even listed the rude names you’ve called me and how you would never date me because of my fear of dogs, but you know what they said? They said that guys tease girls when they like them, and that no idiot wouldn’t date a girl just because she was afraid of an animal. I mean, come on! We don’t even like each other!”

“I second nominate that,” Taecyeon said, raising his hand. “But don’t worry. Changmin and Kyuhyun have been telling me that I’ve been spending too much time with you.”

“What? You spent five months with them for at least two hours,” Yoona protested. “You only talk to me when my mom invites you to dinner.”

“Mhm, so true. Oh, I forgot to tell you, but last month, I gave this guy named Junsu your e-mail address. I think he likes you or something,” Taecyeon informed her.

Yoona blinked at him. “What? You gave some stranger my e-mail address?” She clicked her tongue and crossed her arms. “Whatever. I gave my friend your phone number last week. Her name is Sooyoung. Remember that really tall girl who came to our house and managed to beat Changmin in that one video game?”

He started to blush. “Really? She likes me?”

“No, idiot. She wanted to call you so that she could get Changmin’s number,” Yoona blurted. Taecyeon’s shy look turned to a frown. The red color on his cheeks had drained away.

“This isn’t fair. Why is it that all the girls you know like my friends, while all the guys I know have a crush on you? Seriously, I need a girlfriend by the time I graduate,” Taecyeon said, heaving a sigh.

“I thought you said that high school wasn’t about girlfriends and boyfriends–”

“Oh, be quiet. I know you want one, too.”


Author's Note:

So the first chapter is up! I'll be adding MyungEun moments in the next chapter, and maybe (probably not) a little TaecYoon. Sorry for those who were looking forward to MyungEun! I promise that I'll have some in the second chapter. :)