Fruity Thank You

Moving to SMtown (sequel to SMtown Disney)

 

“Eliani what is in these things.” Henry looked curiously at the medium size basket he was carrying. He was walking next to me. I was holding the smallest basket and a zipper canvas bag. Minho and Eunhyuk behind us carrying the largest basket. All of them had lids and I had smacked Henry’s hand once already as he tried to peek.

“It’s a surprise.” I opened the cafeteria door and allowed Minho and Eunhyuk to go first I was second, the room was separated into two groups. The biggest group was made up of most of the SM Artists ; SHINee was in the middle talking to their manager. The Other group included NU’EST and a few SM artists like Amber, Victoria and Kangta, At its center was one annoyed and pissed off maknae.

“Hey guys come and see what Eliani brought us.” Henry said putting his basket on the table and walked to the big basket. Which Minho and Eunhyuk had put on the table in the center of the room.

“What is it?”

“Umm. this is my thank you for what you guys did for me last year. Thank You.” I bowed

“There should be enough for everyone to take two.” I lifted the lid.

“Wow!” the basket was full of mangos.

“These are really expensive you shouldn't have done this Eliani” Victoria said looking worried.

“It’s okay Unnie, I bought these at home and shipped them here I got them back from customs yesterday.” As everyone got their two I noticed Key and Onew were still talking to their manager and NU’EST was sitting on the couch in the corner. I grab the medium basket and took the canvas bag.

“Hey you guys should go get your mangos. Before all the good ones are gone.” I bowed my head to the manager. I would have bowed but the basket made it impossible.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Manager Choi Jin oppa it’s good to see you again.” He bowed back

“I have mangos for the groups managers, I was hoping you could hand them out. I gave you two as a thank you for last year I know I caused you a lot of stress and I'm sorry” I head bowed again

“but I only had enough for one mango each for the others is that okay.”

“Yes its fine I think the others will like it” he took the basket from my arms and smiled

“How are you?”

“Better” I smiled and bowed again then said goodbye.

 NU’EST was sitting on the couch talking to each other.

“Hey guys, I brought some extras just in case I got my math wrong. There is enough for one for each of you .” they were so cute , happy as hell… well almost everyone.  Ren was just sitting looking at his nails, they were done well.  

“Ren would you like a mango?” I knew his answer but I asked anyway

“No I don’t like mangos.”

“Oh okay” I sighed and thought of something . I smile at Aaron

“Here Aaron, can you give this to him later. He won’t take it if I give it to him, he’ll just pout and say he doesn't like them. He should accept it if you give it to him when I’m not around and don’t tell him I told you to do it. ”

“How do you know he’ll take it?”  he looked at the mango curiously

“Easy because he’ll think I gave this to you and you went behind my back to give it to him” he laughed

“What if I just keep it.” Laughing I lightly hit his arm.

“Because I know you’re not that mean.” I smile and bow to them all

“It was nice meeting you all it was a pleasure” the ones that were not angry bowed back Ren stayed seated, I chuckled

“Bye Ren , I really like your nails.” I walked over to the big basket it was empty.

“Did everyone get their two?” looking around nobody said anything. 

“Victoria Unnie  do you want the basket?”. She looked up

“can I?”

“Sure I don’t need it .” I shrugged. Looking at my watch I realized if I didn't get moving I would be late.

“I have to go guys I have an appointment and then a job interview.” I bowed said my goodbyes they said good bye and I got a few hugs. I grabbed the small basket, purse and canvas bag and waved good bye

“see you guys sometime soon.”

 

The elevator dinged and I was at the top floor of the SM Entertainment building.  The there was a short hallway. Which hung pictures of SMtown idols BoA, SNSD, f(x),  ALL of Super Junior. Smaller pictures of the subgroups were around the groups pictures. The pictures started newest to youngest to the oldest the last picture was of H.O.T. . at the end of the hall was a waiting room / secretary office.

“Hello may I help you?”

“Yes , I have a meeting with Mr. Lee Soo Man.”

“Oh yes , wait a moment, let me call.” The secretary was a kindly woman she looked in her mid thirties.

“Mr. Lee Soo Man  a Miss Segura to see you….. yes I’ll let her in.” she hung up and smiled.

“He’ll see you now”

The office was huge, it was also Spartan is design. Just like him no nonsense, but it still screamed power and money. I always thought the others were over reaching when they said Lee Soo Man is scary but I could see it now. Well feel it, but I know he had to portray that to the artists and the world but I also know that they are his family. Each star is like his children. He pushes them because he wants them to do well.  Even though he is showing his work mask now I will always see him as the concerned over protective father.  I bow at him but don’t say anything allowing him to speak first.

“When I received your call I was surprised.”

“Were you ?”

“Yes… How are you feeling.”

“Fine. I haven’t got worse, at least. Scotland was relaxing.” I smiled

“that’s nice, I was surprised to hear you were in the country.”

“Yes for school.” I put the basket on his desk.

“I came by today to say hello to everyone and to say thank you for what happened last year.”

“If you hadn't insisted on me going to the hospital  I would have never figured out about my condition.”

He nodded sagely. “If you are going to be in contact with my artists during your stay please do  …”

“Not get caught.”

“I was going to say 'do it discreetly' ” he tried to hide his smile. My watch beeped

“I'm sorry  Lee Soo Man-sshi I have to go. My professor got me an interview for a job. Its close to school so I have to go. ” I bowed

“thank you again hope you like your gift.”

 

No one’s POV

Eliani cheerfully waved goodbye and closed the door. Lee Soo Man chuckled under his breath and opened the basket to reveal mangos.

“This Girl.” He chuckled again.

 

Eliani POV

I closed the door with a sigh. The secretary looked up from her computer.

“are you done already?”

“Umm yes, I just had to give him something.” I opened the canvas bag and pulled out a mango. I only had three left.  I placed it on her desk.

“Thank you for your help.” I bowed and ran out. The beep was my warning on being late to my interview. I rode the elevator down to the back lobby. Hana the receptionist from earlier was there. When she heard the dinging of the elevator. I bowed and smiled.

“Oh Hello, how are you feeling?”

“Better thank you. I have to go I wanted to give you this  ” I took out a mango and handed it to her. As I did I saw my watch. I was so late

“ I’m sorry I have to go.” I ran out of the building to see NU’EST get into a van. 

I made it to my interview just in time. Professor Jung had told me it was an interview with a retired professor who had opened an antique bookstore and was looking for an assistant to manage the store with him. The store was just outside campus and was apparently popular with professors and literature students.   The store was not what I expected, you’ve seen those movies with the shop being dark and dusty. But the “Three Kingdoms bookstore” was clean and full of light. And everything was organized.  Most of the shelves were covered with glass, the case behind the counter was locked.  Almost everything was painted white. Which was a big contrast with the dark colored tomes on the shelf. When I walked the door chimed like a temple bell.

“I’ll be right with you.” A gruff voice said from the back.

Dr. Kim was a professor in Goryo writings until he decided to open the bookstore. He came from the back with books in hand. He was in his 50s but didn't look it, the only thing that showed his age was his white hair. He wore black glasses and had an odd aura around him. It was a mix of authority and warmth.     

“Hello, how can I help you.”

“Hello my name is Eliani S., and I’m here to interview for the job. Professor Jung recommended me I believe.”

“Yes, yes come to the back” it was by far the weirdest interview I have ever had. He gave me tea and I handed him my resume but he didn't even look at it. He didn't even ask me questions he just looked at me. It was so uncomfortable, I never liked being the center of attention that’s why I chose something quiet to do with my life. Not to mention I faint everything a spot light shines on me. 

“Sungjoon sent me your schedule and you will be coming in 5 days a week. Wear something office appropriate.” I nodded, I was confused but I wasn't going to say anything. Usually I can’t help myself but something told me not to question it at least not right now. Dr. Kim took me on a tour of the shop and how to work the register. I was supposed to remember everything by my first day of work , tomorrow. Dr.  Kim apparently also lived in the apartment above the shop. After explaining what he needed he told me to go home. The February night was chilling and I wish I had brought my thicker jacket I didn't expect it to get so dark so fast.

“Huh I  guess I’m still not used to the climate.” I had thought that the climate would be similar  to Scotland but if anything it was colder.  I hurriedly made my way to the subway station. I took a taxi here but that was because I was running late.  But the subway seemed like a good idea. It wasn't late enough for it to be dangerous.  On the way home I was contemplating where I was going to eat. I was still unpacking and I had nothing in the house. I bought take out and got home. Normally I would be in the dorms, but as a graduate student I needed privacy for my research.  So my advising professor Sungjoon Jung suggested I room in this apartment. He and his wife own a apartment complex just outside of campus. They mostly rent to professors and their families. My apartment was for a young science professor and his wife but in the end he decided not to come until next semester, so Professor Jung asked me if I wanted it. My financial aid would pay the rent except 500 dollars. Which was why I was getting a job. I was going to get a job anyway . That was another reason it took so long for my visa to be finalized.  It was a nice one bedroom apartment ever thing was updated there was air conditioning along with a small balcony. The bathroom was western and the linen / coat closet was also a laundry room. My neighbor was a biology professor and his wife and their two children. A boy around middle school and a little girl just entering kindergarten. Over all it was a nice place to live. The apartment was a bit of a mess though.  Boxes where half unpacked, bubble wrap on the floor.

“Home sweet home. ”