Prologue

The 12 Guardians

Footsteps rang through the stone tower. Ragged breaths echoed through the gaps in the stone. A young couple slammed and locked a wooden door behind them.

“Elaine, we don’t have much time, they’re coming,” a young man with a built body, tanned skin, and dark brown eyes and hair said urgently.

“I know, I just need a little bit of time,” A woman with similar features only more delicate, petite, and pale than the man said as she drew an intricate design that formed a circle

A force shoved against the door, nearly knocking it off of hinges. The man threw himself against the door, doing whatever he can to keep whatever was trying to come in, out.

“Hurry, we don’t have any more time!”

“I’m almost done Claud! Just hang in there for a bit more.”

Elaine pulled out a bundle from under her robes. She opened up the bundle slightly to reveal the gleeful face of a little girl. She giggled as her mother set her down in the middle of the circle. The woman started murmuring words and the circle started glowing. Claud joins his wife, holding her hand and watching their child start to float in midair. The door breaks open and tens of men pile into the room, just as Elaine finishes her spell. A beam of light shines from the moon and engulfs the child.

“Goodbye, my little sky,” Elaine murmured and a tear fell down her cheek.

The beam of light explodes, blinding everyone. When they can see again, the child is gone.

 

~Many years later~

*Bell chimes and door swings open*

“Welcome!” I yelled to the customer as I finished cleaning the table.

 I handed them their menus. Once I took their order, I went to the kitchen and told the chef their order.  Saw a tree root grow out and around the chef’s leg.

“Is something wrong Haneul?” The chef asked.

I shook my head, “Nothing ahjussi! Just dozed off a bit for a second, hehe.”

He chuckled, “Alright, get back to work Haneul.”

“Okay!” I said happily and bounced out of the kitchen, the tree root long gone from ahjussi’s leg.

I made the customer’s drinks and brought them to the table. Then I continued doing my homework for the night next to the cash register.

“Food’s done!” I heard ahjussi say and a bell ring in the kitchen.

I finished the math problem and went to take the food to the customers.

“Kamsahamnida! Please come again!” I said with a grin on my face as I bowed goodbye to the customers and flipped the sign to closed.

“Thanks for working overtime again Haneul, you’ve helped a lot these past few weeks” Ahjussi said tiredly.

“You’re welcome! You can go ahead and go Ahjussi, I’ll take it from here.” I smiled and grabbed a rag to clean the table.

“Jinjja? I can stay and help…”

“No, I can close the shop ahjussi, go home and rest.”

“Aigoo, you’re so sweet. That guy will be lucky to have you, whoever he is.”

“Ahjussi, you sound like Ahjjuma.”

“I know,” Ahjussi laughed heartily.

“I’ll leave now, sleep well Haneul.”

“You too Ahjussi!”

As I cleaned their table, I saw myself standing in water, surrounded by miles of trees and heard a waterfall behind me, birds chirped, flowers had bloomed, and animals scurried around. Eventually, a man whose face I couldn’t see was standing beside me. A spear suddenly flew towards us and pierced the man beside me, causing a scream to erupt from my throat. He fell in to the water, staining it red. Then another figure came out from behind some trees. His presence frightened me, and his large build didn’t make it any better.

“We’re coming for you, princess,” he said darkly before the entire scene in front of me disappeared.

Princess? Someone’s coming for me? Who was that man? My mind must be playing tricks on me again. I shook my head and kept wiping the table, realizing I stopped when I saw a forest. I finished cleaning up and went to the back to change out of my work clothes into my school uniform and grab my stuff. I don’t want to go home. They’re gonna make me work… why is it so dark? It’s a bit… too dark for Seoul… I heard a growl behind me; I turned and saw the silhouette of a tiger behind me. My eyes widened, and I held in a very loud scream. I turned and ran as fast as I could toward home. I turned the corner and crashed into someone.

“Woah! Easy there tiger,” A man said, “Oh! Haneul-ah!”

Hyunwoo Oppa? What are you doing here?”

“Gwaenchanha? You look like you saw a ghost! Why are you breathing so hard? And is it against the law to visit my baby cousin?”

I looked behind me, the tiger wasn’t there. “I’m alright Oppa, I felt something touch my leg, but I think it was my arm,” I laughed.

He laughed with me, then smiled childishly, “Want me to walk you home?”

“Okay!” I beamed and we walked to my hell house together.

We walked in silence until Hyunwoo decided to break it.

“How are you?” Hyunwoo Oppa asked, looking at me with serious eyes.

“I’ve been good!” I answered happily.

“Tell me the truth, I’m not gonna fall for your act.”

My smile wiped off my face, all happiness faded from my eyes and sadness and exhaustion replaced it. “Terrible.”

He sighed, “I figured. We’re here.”

We stopped in front of the house. I stared at the house, Hyunwoo stared at me.

“You don’t have to go in you know, you could stay with me.”

“And what? Live basically by myself? No thanks,” I smiled bitterly.

He sighed, “I just don’t want you to stay with them.”

“But where else do I have to go? And your parents only treat me because they’re still mourning over your sister’s death.”

“That was over 10 years ago Haneul! They need to move on.”

“I haven’t moved on from my parents’ Oppa.” I snapped.

He remained quiet, then he sighed, “Mianhe Haneul.”

“It’s alright, I forgive you.”

“It’s getting late, go on in, I’ll come visit when I can.”

“Don’t you wanna see your parents Oppa?”

He shook his head, “I already saw them, and I mainly came to check on you.”

“Arasso. I’ll go now Oppa. Take care.”

“You too Haneul.”

I walked in and waved to Hyunwoo Oppa before shutting and locking the door.

“Where have you been?”

I heard a stern voice ask me.  I turned around to face the owner of this cold voice.

“I was closing down the shop, please forgive me Auntie.” I said and bowed deeply.

“Whatever, go wash the dishes.” Auntie said and walked away.

“Yes Auntie.” I said and went to wash the dishes.

“Oh, look who decided to show up!”

“Good evening Uncle, I came home late today because I was closing the restaurant.” I said formally.

He ignored what I said as he walked to the fridge, grabbed some beer, and walked back to the living room.

“Good for nothing brat,” I heard him murmur on the way back.

 I finished washing the dishes and went up to my room to get ready for bed. I tried to stay up as long as I can, but I couldn’t fight the drowsiness and fell asleep, into yet another frightening dream.

 


Annyeong!! I hope you guys liked itt! If you don't, stay with this story, I promise I'll try hard to make it better! And it's only the prologue so I hope it was good enough. :) Happy fouth of July! Well, until next time, byee guyssss!! ^___^