Chapter Twenty-two

Dreaming Polaris | stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: “Not My Possession”
Date: 2013 July 31
Characters: Taewoon & Jihyun
Inspiration: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
Genre: Fantasy, scifi, romance-ish
Words: 946

 

My mom told me that Jihyun used to be a fish.

She mentioned that when I was a kid, we went to the beach, and I found a fish that was close to dying by the shore. Luckily I was able to save it and even decided to keep it in order to protect it from harm, but one day, it turned into a human girl.

I remembered that at first, she was a good friend who was curious about the whole world. She didn't understand how many things work, like how water came out from the wall through a faucet and how the T.V. showed colorful “moving pictures.” She even said that light bulbs must be another mythical entity that held onto electrical powers in order to light up the way it did.

I just thought she was an odd human girl.

My mom also told me that we were fated to be together.

I laughed.

She explained that after Jihyun transformed into a human being, her parents eventually found her, and they entrusted her to me, because they simply knew I was for her. My mom said that I promised to love Jihyun for the rest of my life, but to me, Jihyun was such a bothersome girl. I didn't understand how I even agreed to the commitment. I was just a kid. I didn't know any better, and if I had to lie to make her stay and play with me, I would have definitely lied.

That was all that I knew.

She was just a girl—apparently a fish before—who ended up living with us as another family member. I didn't know if I was supposed to see her as a sister or a lover instead, but she was always very clingy; so touchy-feely that I would always have to remind her to get off me or push her off.

She never really knew how to keep her distance from people and when to give them space. I was always irritated with her extra friendly ways and her overly talkative mouth. She just didn't understand, or should I say she didn't understand what it was like to be human?

Oh, who was I kidding?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter