Coconuts

Stranded

 

“Look! Coconuts!” Yoseob pointed up in the air, in the branches above hung a couple of coconuts. Yoseob ran to the tree trunk, which was at least three times thicker than he was and started trying to shake the coconuts down. It was the biggest and sturdiest coconut tree Doojoon had ever seen. Granted, he hadn't seen that many coconut trees, but as he suspected the tree didn't even move an inch no matter how hard Yoseob tried. Doojoon folded with laughter, was there no end to how cute that little sillybilly could be? Yoseob pouted and put his hands on his hips stubbornly, “Well, I think that if we all try it together, that we could shake down at least one of them.”. Kikwang took him at his word and put his hands on the tree trunk, ready to push. “Now you, Doojoon. You push from the other side, then we'll get it going!” Yoseob was determined. “Are you nuts?” Doojoon replied incredulously. “Yeah.. coconuts!” Yoseob said cheekily and they both burst with laughter. Kikwang was quiet, a blank look on his face, but a few seconds later he started laughing as well.

 

Minjun decided there was no point going into the water, there was nothing out there. They had walked for at least an hour, there was no way Chansung would have been ejected all the way over here. Junho concurred and suggested they head back, a dark shadow over his face. As they turned around and started walking, Wooyoung fell into the sand, breaking his fall with his hands. His body started shaking uncontrollably, he was wailing with everything he had. The heartbroken howl cut through Minjun's heart like a knife. Minjun bent down to hug him, “We can keep searching, we'll keep searching.” he said while Wooyoung's back. Wooyoung shook his head, another wave of howls bursting out.

 

Doojoon was dying from embarrassment, in the end he had caved in and tried shaking that tree with them, obviously getting nowhere. How could he have let Yoseob talk him into it? Kikwang tripped over something, falling forward on his face, “Ouch”. Doojoon ran to help him, “Are you okay? You klutz you! You have to watch out for yourself, if something happens to you out here there's no calling the doctor.” Doojoon said concerned. Kikwang was grinning like an idiot, pointing to the side. Doojoon was taken aback. The plant that Kikwang had tripped over was a melon plant, there were eight huge melons growing at the end of it. Doojoon's mouth watered. “How are we going to carry them all back?” Yoseob wondered, furrowing his brow.

 

Yunho dived for the 19th time, he had no energy left and this was clearly not getting them anywhere. He went to find Taecyeon. Just by looking at him, he knew he was thinking the same thing. It was time to stop. It wasn't going to be easy convincing Nichkhun of that though. They exchanged meaningful looks and without saying anything they went to fetch Nichkhun.

 

There were coconut trees all around, but how could they get the coconuts down? Dongwoon pondered for a while but came up empty. Hyunseung picked up a pebble and with his tongue sticking out he aimed for one of the coconuts. He took a deep breath and threw it. The pebble didn't even come close to the tree itself, not to mention the coconut Hyunseung had been aiming for. Junhyung and Dongwoon couldn't contain their laughter, the disappointment on Hyunseung's face was too priceless. Red in the face, Hyunseung found another pebble. He was not about to give up. Oh no, Dongwoon thought. They shouldn't have laughed at him, they had Hyunseung's stubbornness and he had learned from experience that there was no off-switch.

Hyunseung threw this one with a little more force. The pebble hit the tree trunk, ricocheting off it and narrowly missing Junhyung's head. “Hey!” Junhyung exclaimed, a little shaken up. “Okay, I think we can safely say this is not going to work. Let's just head back.” Dongwoon suggested. “I'm not going back empty-handed!” Hyunseung replied stubbornly, rummaging around for more pebbles. “You guys go, I can find my way back.” he added, distracted. “We're not about to leave you here alone, not after everything that's happened. The last thing we need is a lost member in the woods as well.” Dongwoon said softly. “I won't get lost! And I work better without all this negativity around me!” Hyunseung threw a pebble, but lost his grip midway so it went straight up in the air, only to fall back down on his head. Junhyung chuckled. “Dude!” Dongwoon whispered to him. “I know, I'm sorry. It's just too funny.” Junhyung said between chuckles. Dongwoon sighed, “Let's just go.”.

 

Chansung's head was spinning. It had been a long 24 hours. Somehow these last few meters seemed the longest, it felt like they had been walking for hours. Daesung and G-Dragon were supporting him on each side, looking worried. He didn't really see what they were so worried about, he was doing fine. Okay, he did sway a bit from time to time, but he managed to walk mostly straight.

“Where is everyone?” Taeyang remarked, looking around at the empty beach. Chansung was fighting to stay upright, his legs constantly complaining. Daesung had told him that everybody else was accounted for, lifting a huge weight off his shoulders. “I told you so.” he had told himself, smiling on the inside, happy for never giving up hope. “Hey, there's someone coming! Wow, he's fast!” Daesung pointed to the figure up ahead that was running towards them. Chansung recognized him at once, Wooyoung! He grinned. He wanted to run over to meet him, but his legs said no. He was barely standing, running was not an option.

Wooyoung reached them in no time, throwing himself into the arms of Chansung. Clinging onto him as if the world was going to end, weaving his legs around him as well, making Chansung hold him up. Chansung's arms cried out from pain, but Chansung didn't care. He hugged Wooyoung tight, happier than ever. This was what had kept him going, knowing that waiting at the end of this horrible experience were warm hugs from his fellow members. Calling them members didn't even begin to describe what they meant to him, even brothers sounded too weak. They were a part of him and he was a part of them, they needed to be together to be complete.

Trailing behind Wooyoung came Junho, giving him the tightest back hug he had ever received. Minjun joined them a little later, putting his arms around them all and squeezing tight. Chansung had almost no air to breathe, but who needed oxygen anyway? He closed his eyes that were slowly filling up with tears.

 

“No! No!” Junho yelled as a soaking wet Taecyeon joined the group hug, making them all wet in the process. He felt like a cold slimy snail, Junho thought, trying to shake him off. That only egged Taecyeon on. He released the others so he could really get up in there and get every part of Junho wet. Junho tried to wriggle loose, but he was stuck in a sandwich between Taecyeon and Chansung. Taecyeon was giggling like a schoolgirl at her first crush, rubbing his wet hair on the back of Junho's neck. Suddenly a hand snuck in between them and squeezed Chansung's shoulder for a second, it was Yunho. He met with Chansung's eyes and smiled warmly.

“Ouch! Who pinched me?” Wooyoung complained, finally letting go of Chansung. It was Nichkhun, he was pushing through the crowd around Chansung any way he could, resorting to pinching and flicking if needed. He pushed Wooyoung aside, looking into Chansung's eyes. They were full of tears, a few escaping down his cheeks. Nichkhun couldn't believe it, he was alive. He was alive! Chansung smiled his kind little Chansung-smile at him, his eyes sparkling. Nichkhun couldn't take it anymore, he pulled Chansung towards him, hugging him with all he had. He was getting him all wet, but Chansung didn't seem to mind, wrapping his arms around him so that Nichkhun almost disappeared. Nichkhun buried his face in his neck, it was soft and warm. Oh, that Chansung smell, how he had missed it. He had feared he would never be able to smell it again. He breathed it in extra deeply, trying to lock it into his memory so that he would never have to be apart from it ever again.

Chansung giggled, Nichkhun's nose was tickling him. His neck was wet but he wasn't sure if it was tears or seawater, perhaps a little bit of both. Nichkhun's body trembled in his arms, okay it was definitely tears. Chansung's heart ached, he couldn't stand it when Nichkhun cried. Compared to the other members, Nichkhun didn't cry so easily, he had to be really moved for that to happen. Chansung got a pang in his stomach. Okay, it was pretty clear that no matter which member went missing, Nichkhun would cry over them, they were family and they all loved each other. But right now Nichkhun's tears belonged to him, and him alone. They were his tears. Chansung found that thought incredibly moving. He pulled Nichkhun in tighter and his back lovingly. Suddenly a small spot on his neck got warmer, Nichkhun was softly pressing his lips up against it. A tingling wave of butterflies washed over Chansung, using up the last of his energy. His legs no longer supported him, going on strike after their ill treatment. The only thing holding him up was Nichkhun, but he soon crumbled under the weight. Nichkhun managed to sit down onto the sand, still holding him. He snuggled up in Nichkhun's lap. His eyelids were too heavy, he tried to open them but they wouldn't listen. He could feel the haze of the dreamworld taking over.

They were back at the dorm, he and Nichkhun were wearing matching aprons whipping up a mountain of omelets in the kitchen. The aprons had been a gift from a fan Nichkhun had said. Chansung was in charge of the frying, he was proud to be in charge of such an important task. Careful not to overcook it, he gently turned the omelet over. Cooking with Nichkhun was one of his favorite things to do, they matched so well in the kitchen and always had fun together. The others came rushing in, following the intoxicating smell of the omelets. Minjun took half an omelet and swallowed it whole, his face turning bright red. Nichkhun exploded from laughter, handing him a pitcher of water which Minjun gulped down like his life depended on it. Nichkhun waved a jar of extra hot chili around, giggling uncontrollably.

Nichkhun was Chansung's forehead repeatedly, not taking his eyes off him for even a second. “I'm hungry.” Chansung mumbled in his sleep.

 

Junhyung and Dongwoon hadn't gone far. They were sitting on a pile of coconuts. They had found some smaller, weaker trees a little further off so getting the coconuts down had been child's play. They waited for Hyunseung that finally appeared with one coconut in his hand, exploding with pride.

“But how are you going to open it?” Junhyung , Hyunseung's smile vanishing. Junhyung stood up, revealing the pile of coconuts they had gathered. Hyunseung stared at it incredulously for a moment and then they all fell over in fits of laughter.