Hail Mary

Stranded

Nichkhun couldn't sleep, his heart was so heavy it felt like it was made of steel. Wooyoung was snoring softly in his arms. It made him think of Chansung. Normally Chansung slept like a log, but that particular time Nichkhun had fallen asleep on the living room floor where Chansung liked to sleep and he had apparently been snoring especially loudly, making it impossible to sleep next to him. Chansung, that little rascal, had gone and fetched a laundry clip and put it on Nichkhun's nose in an attempt to make the snoring stop. Nichkhun had of course woken up with a start since it hurt like hell, spending the next half hour or so hitting and tickling Chansung in revenge. The funny thing was that when he saw how much it hurt, Chansung was more surprised than Nichkhun himself had been. Chansung's intention had never been to hurt him, he was just trying to make the snoring stop and hadn't thought it all the way through. He smiled faintly to himself. He had thousands of these little memories of them together, just mundane stuff but still he felt they were precious moments, each and every one.

First he had thought it was his tears falling down on his cheek, but as the raindrops multiplied he got a sinking feeling in his stomach. When it started to pour, Wooyoung woke up and they ran for cover together. Nichkhun looked out at the ocean, it seemed so dark and brutal in the rain, the waves crashing down. Chansung, where are you? Please be okay.

 

G-Dragon had removed his jacket and put it around Seungri. They were soaking wet, almost more wet than after being in the ocean. They had retreated into the outskirts of the forest when it started raining, but they hadn't been fast enough to escape the monsoon, not a dry spot to be found on their bodies. Even with his jacket on, Seungri was shivering. G-Dragon put his arms around him, watching as the rest of the boys came running towards them. Taecyeon had Taeyang under one hand and Junho under the other, half carrying half dragging them along. Minjun right behind them. G-Dragon let out a tiny snort at the sight of Taeyang. Since Taecyeon held him so high up, only one of his legs reached the ground, just barely, so he was hopping along like a weird little kangaroo, sticking his tongue out in an attempt to keep his balance.

 

Kikwang couldn't believe his eyes, finally someone was making a bigger idiot out of himself than him. s often made fun of him for being slow on the uptake and used it to embarrass him. He sometimes got a little bit annoyed at them, but most of the time he was okay with it. He wasn't stupid and they knew that, he just didn't see the reason for doubting others. He wanted to see the good in people. He didn't like lying and assumed others felt the same way, sometimes mistakenly. He giggled as Seunghyun fell backwards onto the sand, this was getting ridiculous.

 

Doojoon helped Seunghyun dust some of the sand off his back, shaking his head over his weird stunt earlier. “What...” he didn't even know what to say. Seunghyun just smiled sheepishly and shrugged his shoulders. Yunho called for them to gather together with the serious look of a leader. He had kind of just taken the reigns without asking anyone, but Doojoon was not about to complain. It was not like he wanted this mountain of responsibility, he was just glad somebody was willing to do it.

 

Seunghyun sat down with Seungri and the boys from Beast. He didn't like being in charge, it wasn't a coincidence that G-Dragon was their leader even though he was older. Usually he was really good at dodging responsibilities, most often without anyone even realizing it. But this time was different, everyone had to pitch in and he couldn't very well say no, could he?

“Okay, any ideas or suggestions on how we should do this?” he asked the boys in earnest. “We could split into two teams, one searching the outer area of the forest and the other one heading deeper into it, gathering what we can find and meet back here afterwards?” Hyunseung suggested, pensive. Since no one else had a better idea, Seunghyun decided to go with it and split them up into two teams.

As they were about to leave, Seungri tugged on his sleeve. “Hyuuung.” he whispered so the others wouldn't hear, “Can I stay with you. Please.”. Seungri's big panda-eyes stared at him pleadingly. “Hang on, guys. I've got a better idea. Doojoon, Yoseob, Kikwang, you take the zone to the right of here, Junhyung, Dongwoon and Hyunseung to the left. Seungri and I will scavenge the outskirts, there probably isn't much there so no point wasting the extra manpower.” Seunghyun said, hoping they would go for it. The new plan actually did make more sense when he thought about it, good job brain! The two Beast-teams headed into the forest, not looking too confident.

Seunghyun stood up and put his arm around Seungri, he looked a bit down. “What's up buddy?” he said as he gave him an encouraging pat or two on the shoulder. “Nothing.” Seungri mumbled and started looking around aimlessly. Seunghyun suddenly didn't feel so good, he swayed and saw spots. He was having a hard time staying on his feet. Seungri caught him and helped him sit carefully back down. Seungri was looking at him with worried eyes. “Oh, don't worry about it, I probably just stood up too fast.” his head was pounding.

Seungri shifted his stare to a pebble in the sand in front of him, his face pained. “Do you think Chansung is okay?” his voice barely audible. Seunghyun doubted it but nodded his head slowly, there was no reason to give up hope. Seungri continued, “I wanted to go look for him too but..” his voice trailed off, Seunghyun was starting to think the pebble would catch on fire, Seungri was staring so intently at it. “I just... if we had found him... and he was... “ Seungri shuddered and quickly wiped a tear from his cheek, turning away.

 

Changmin kicked a stick out of the sand, it flew a couple of feet before hitting the ground again. “Hmm, shelter.. shelter, shelter...” he was deep in thought. He thought Yunho had been a bit unreasonable putting such a large responsibility on his shoulders alone, but at the same time he was proud that Yunho had believed in him enough to entrust him with such an important task.

 

“Where do you think we are?” Daesung wondered as they walked along the beach. “No idea. I wonder if this island is indeed completely deserted or if there might be people just around the corner. We might've landed on the wrong side of the island where no one ever comes, thinking we are all alone and abandoned, when civilization is just a stone throw away.” Taeyang was thinking out loud. Daesung hadn't thought of it like that, it was a good point.

G-Dragon wasn't following their conversation, he was staring like a hawk out to sea, scanning the horizon for some sign of Chansung or debris from the plane. There was nothing to see. G-Dragon was getting more desperate, with each passing minute the chances of finding Chansung alive diminished. He saw something! It was too far out to see what it was, but it could be the back of a head. He grabbed Taeyang and told Daesung to stay on the beach on standby, he would have to run like a lightning for help if it turned out to be Chansung. G-Dragon and Taeyang swam like sharks towards their target.

Daesung watched them go. Wow, they were fast. Without meaning to, Daesung glanced to the side, there was someone walking along the beach! He was coming from the opposite direction than the one they had come from. Daesung could only see a silhouette, but he knew. He yelled at the guys as he started to run towards the figure. As he got nearer, he saw him more clearly. It was Chansung! He was alive! Daesung was about to explode from happiness. He ran head first into Chansung's chest, knocking the wind out of him, hugging him so tightly he had difficulty breathing. “Daesung..” he winsed. “Oh, haha, sorry.. I'm just so happy you're alive!” Daesung grinned from ear to ear.

Taeyang and G-Dragon headed back to shore as fast they could, they saw Daesung running on the beach towards a tall figure further up ahead. Could it be? When Daesung practically jumped on the person, they realized that it really was Chansung. Taeyang ran to join them, he was so happy that he did a somersault, landing almost beside Chansung. Chansung chuckled, “I'd do one too if I weren't so tired.”. Chansung wasn't lying, that much was for sure. Taeyang had never seen a more tired looking person in his life, and he was an idol, he had seen some tired people in his day. His face looked worn, like he had aged 10 years in the course of a day. Still he had the same friendly smile and cheerful eyes as always, it was Chansung alright.

 

“Come on, there are some very anxious people waiting to see you.” G-Dragon winked at Chansung, putting his arm around him, making an attempt to support some of Chansung's weight, but it ended up more as a half-hug than anything else.