First Night, First Light

Stranded

“Who's poking my ?” Kikwang complained, the boys of Beast somehow managed to make one big bundle with limbs sticking out everywhere, before it caved in on itself and they fell over into the sand. “I don't think this is working.” Doojoon said, coughing up sand. They gave up and went with Yunho's advice, pairing up for warmth. Doojoon placed himself at the end, making a semi-U-form out of his body, with Yoseob balled up in the middle. Kikwang huddled up next to them with Hyunseung quiet beside him, he hadn't said a word since he got out of the water. Doojoon was worried about him, would he be alright?

Junhyung tried to make his body stop shaking, he felt like the cold was coming from within. Flashes from the accident haunted him, screams, fire. He opened his eyes, trying to escape from the tattered images. He tried to picture his girlfriend's face, but she was too far away, he couldn't reach her. He felt he had already lost her, he saw her silhouette in his mind, walking away from him. Would she have heard about the accident by now? It was probably already on the news that they were missing. He wondered if she thought he was dead. Would she cry for him? How long until she would move on?

Dongwoon ran his fingers through Junhyung's hair, trying to comfort him. A tear threatened to break it's way out of the corner of Junhyung's eye, but his eyelashes kept it captive. What nobody knew was that he wasn't the tough guy everybody thought he was, it was just an act. A mask he hid behind to protect the real him. He was too sensitive, he had been like that as long as he could remember. He worried too much and took things too much to heart. In high school he realized it made him vulnerable so he invented this cool hardened version of himself. It turned out he was pretty good at it, playing the part of the quiet, mysterious guy that never lost his cool.

Kikwang was tossing and turning, no matter how he tried he couldn't get to sleep. The sound of the waves was driving him crazy and there was sand everywhere, it had gotten up his shirt and down his trousers, itching all over. Yoseob's hand reached for his, locking their fingers together, making him feel slightly better.

 

Minjun was exhausted, he was used to the lack of sleep and exhaustion by now, as JYP so often told them “You can sleep when you're dead.”, but this was a new level of tiredness. He was completely drained physically and emotionally. Junho was asleep in his arms, hugging him like a big old teddy bear. He brushed the sand gently off his cheek, careful not to wake him. What hard times they were having, he thought. If only Chansung were here, he would think of a way to find a positive spin on the situation or at least offer up some deep, if not a bit too deep, thoughts, completely confusing them and often getting lost in the confusion himself. It was a good distraction, he chuckled to himself.

Nichkhun's sobs were soundless now, his eyes shut. His body language screamed utter sadness, he was a broken man. Just looking at him made Wooyoung want to cry, only he had already used up all his tears. He felt dry inside, hollow, like a bit of himself had washed away with the tears. Wooyoung crawled closer to Nichkhun, taking his limp arms and putting them around him. He tried to dry the constant waterfall of tears that was rushing down Nichkhun's face with the end of his sleeve and hugged him tightly.

Taecyeon reached for Wooyoung, only to come up empty-handed. Wooyoung was cuddled up close to Nichkhun. It was good that Nichkhun had someone, heavens knew he needed something to hold on to right now. They were all worried about him, he was slipping away before their eyes. Poor sensitive soul, he wouldn't have guessed it but Chansung's disappearance was definitely hitting Nichkhun the hardest. He had never seen him like this, so completely out of his mind. Nichkhun was such a family man though, and losing a member was like losing a brother. Taecyeon shook his head slightly, he didn't want to think about it.

With Wooyoung otherwise occupied, Taecyeon had no one. He looked around and saw Taeyang squashed uncomfortably against G-Dragon's back. Hmm, he did owe him for saving his life. He slid his hand around Taeyang's waist and pried him away from G-Dragon, kidnapping him in the dead of night. He hugged him closely from behind, containing his laughter when he saw the confusion on Taeyang's face. Taeyang all but disappeared in his big burly arms. “I'm out here all alone, will you be my savior?” he whispered into Taeyang's ear with a cheesy voice. Taeyang giggled shyly and just nodded.

 

“No, no, hyuuung, just five more minutes.” Changmin put his hand over his face so Yunho couldn't sprinkle it with water anymore. He did that sometimes if Changmin overslept, it was extremely annoying. Sometimes when his mood wasn't in it's best shape, he would be annoyed about it for the rest of the day, or until Yunho would do something incredibly cute on purpose and even though Changmin knew he was doing it only to make him forget his annoyance towards him, he fell for it anyway. That was even more annoying!

Seunghyun gasped. Did someone just throw a bucket of water in his face? He opened his eyes and realized where they were, his heart sinking. It was pouring rain, it had started so suddenly that it was like someone the shower. “Oh, Daesungie..” his heart melted a tiny bit when he saw Daesung fast asleep on the sand that was quickly turning into mud. How could he sleep through this? Everyone was already up, running for cover. Boy he must've been tired, the poor thing, Seunghyun thought. He almost felt bad waking him, but he couldn't leave him out here like this. He decided to let him sleep a bit longer and instead carry him to where the others were taking cover. The forest edge was just up ahead, so it wasn't that far, he could do it. He put his arm under Daesung's neck and the other under his knees. He stood up, slowly lifting Daesung with him, but his only left the ground for a few seconds before he slipped out of his hands.

They were both drenched by now, maybe this hadn't been the best of ideas. Incredibly, Daesung just kept sleeping, his face like a baby's. Seunghyun checked his pulse just to be sure. The others were watching the whole thing so he couldn't give in so easily and be the laughing stock of this plane crash comradery. This time he bent over Daesung, putting Daesung's arms around his neck and pulling him up to a sitting position. Daesung mumbled something, but didn't wake up. Seunghyun grabbed each thigh and proceeded to lift him up as he stood up from a crouching position. His feet wiggled, he wasn't sure if he was going to make it. What had Daesung been eating?

Holding Daesung, he took one step forward, slipped in the wet sand and fell on his back, Daesung on top of him. “Ehm.. hyung?” Daesung opened his eyes, groggy and surprised. Their faces were within inches of each other. Daesung looked into his eyes for a moment, his face full of questions. Seunghyun could barely keep his eyes open, it was raining so hard. The situation was so ridiculous that Daesung started laughing. His laughter so contagious that Seunghyun couldn't help laughing too, even though he was dying from embarrassment. They helped each other up and ran for cover.

 

After the others were done ridiculing Seunghyun for his absurd stunt, Yunho took over. He had hardly slept, he had spent most of the night thinking how best to tackle their situation. The more he had thought about it, the unlikelier he thought it that Chansung was still alive. How could he have survived a whole night in the ocean? No matter how he thought about it, it was impossible. They were in dire need of food and shelter for the coming night, so their efforts would be better spent on ensuring their survival than fighting for a lost cause. However, he couldn't help but put himself in the shoes of the 2PM boys, if it were Changmin that was lost out there, presumably dead, he wouldn't give up, not a chance! But he felt responsible for the 17 lives stuck on this godforsaken beach, as well as his own. He couldn't just ignore that responsibility and risk them all for a Hail Mary. He was pretty sure that no matter what he decided, the 2PM boys would go out at first light to search for Chansung. The Beast boys weren't the strongest swimmers, so he thought up a compromise. He would send them into the forest in search of anything remotely edible, while giving the guys from Big Bang the choice of doing either, scavenging for food or help with the search. He would join in the search and leave Changmin to figure out what to do about shelter. He laid his plan out for them.

 

G-Dragon, Taeyang and Daesung joined the search party while Seungri and Seunghyun were assigned food duty. Seunghyun had wanted to help with the search, but neither Daesung nor G-Dragon had liked the look of the bandage on his head, it was red through and through. The bleeding had stopped but the wound was throbbing, so Seunghyun agreed to take it easy and be in charge of the food gathering.

Yunho split them up into three search teams. Nichkhun, Taecyeon and Yunho would go out to the crash site once again and take a thorough look. G-Dragon, Taeyang and Daesung were going to take the beach to the left and Minjun, Junho and Wooyoung the beach to the right, checking if he had drifted ashore and if not, to check out the waters a little further out.

 

“Okay! Good luck everyone and remember, be careful!” Yunho added.