Shelter

Stranded

 

After giving Chansung a pat on the shoulder, Yunho had gone looking for Changmin. He wasn't anywhere near the spot on the beach where they had landed and Yunho didn't have any idea where to find him. All he knew was that he needed to see him. It had been a long day even though it wasn't nearly over yet. Yunho had no idea what time it was, his sense of time was completely out of whack. It didn't really matter anymore, an hour here, an hour there, the only thing that mattered was whether it was day or night and how to survive through either. As he walked aimlessly along the beach, he could feel the tiredness sinking in. He stopped a moment to look at the sky. Oh good, he thought when he saw the clouds gathering, getting darker. Except for the monsoon-shower they got this morning, there hadn't been any rain and they needed more water. Yunho's mouth was dry, he would have given pretty much all his money for an ice cold glass of water right about now. And he had a lot of money, but he couldn't care less about money now, it was useless to him, he just wanted something to drink.

 

Why was he still walking further and further? Changmin could be anywhere for all he knew and he couldn't afford to spend his energy willy-nilly, there was still a lot they had to do to ensure their survival. He didn't think anyone, himself included, realized just how dire their situation was. But maybe it was for the best, panicking and being scared wouldn't help them one bit.

Yunho was about to turn back when he saw something moving through the outline of the forest. He stood still, watching. He tried to make out who it was, but his eyes could only detect a silhouette. Maybe it wasn't even a boy from their group. Yunho had been so busy with trying to manage their situation, just getting by, that he hadn't thought of the possibility of natives living in the woods. There were still some unexplored islands in these parts, so for all they knew there could be wild natives living here without any knowledge of the outside world. Yunho was starting to scare himself. He had no idea how to react if he was suddenly faced with a barbaric tribal warrior. He somehow doubted that he was any match for a trained warrior. His mind took him for a ride, thinking up all kinds of scary scenarios. The worst one was a cannibalistic tribe that managed to capture him, planning to boil him alive, but first torturing him to give up the location of the others. Yunho wasn't sure he would be able to withstand that level of torture, afraid he would end up spilling the beans. What an awful way to die, selling out your friends. He valued few things as high as loyalty, it was the foundation for everything else. Yunho tried to shake off the black cloud that now filled his mind.

As he carefully went a little closer, tailing the silhouette, he recognized the elegant but boyish walk. It was Changmin! His heart skipped from joy and relief. Yunho got an idea, laughing mischievously to himself. He tried to make himself invisible, bending down a bit and being careful where he stepped so as not to make any noise. He could see Changmin's back, he seemed like he wasn't very aware of his surroundings, clearly suspecting nothing. Yunho smirked, quietly getting closer. He then jumped up behind Changmin, giving him a very brutal back hug, not really watching his strength. He got a pang in his stomach as he restrained him, he was kicking and screaming. What had he been thinking, Changmin would most definitely get back at him tenfold and when Changmin got back at someone, it was no joke.

Changmin had been deep in thought when something hit him hard in the back. It took him awhile to realize it was Yunho. In the meanwhile he didn't know what was happening, only that something heavy and big had landed on his back and had its grip on him. He freaked out and fought with all his might to get out. When he heard Yunho's snicker he was relieved for all of one second, that was when rage set in. What had he been thinking scaring him like that? He shook Yunho off him, pissed as hell. He turned around and was about to eat his head off, when Yunho took him in his arms. He was clearly exhausted, Changmin could feel it. After all their time together, he developed a sixth sense when it came to Yunho's feelings. Sometimes when his spirit was completely drained, he would try to go easy on him, try to pester him a little less. But Yunho was such a slob that it was hard sometimes and didn't always go as planned. He did try though, wasn't it the thought that counted?

Changmin tried to shake loose, but Yunho only tightened his grip. “Just for a little while. I really need it.” Yunho whispered earnestly. Changmin got a tiny knot in his stomach. Normally Yunho was his rock, not the other way around. He had to be really tired, Changmin thought and stopped squirming about.

At first Changmin's hands hung motionless along the sides of his body, not fighting Yunho's hug, but not hugging him back either. Yunho drew him in even closer, breathing in his scent. It calmed him down. As long as he had Changmin, he would be alright. He was his home, his strength, his everything. Yunho's heart jumped as Changmin slowly put his arms around him. His grip grew steadily stronger, resembling a real hug. It was not often that he got a decent hug from Changmin, Changmin didn't care much for hugs and tried to avoid them at all costs, complaining every time he failed. Yunho closed his eyes, enjoying this rare treat, recharging his soul.

 

“What's that?” Yunho asked, pointing at a weird metal object in Changmin's hand. They were heading back to the others. Yunho had told him Chansung was alright. He hadn't said much, but Yunho could tell he was really relieved. “Oh, scrap metal from the plane. One side of it is sharp so we can use it as a knife.” Changmin answered, holding the piece of metal up so he could see it clearly. “Uhm..” Changmin looked uncomfortable and embarrassed, “..so... ehm... I didn't really come up with any magical solution to our shelter problem, so I've nothing to show for today except this piece of metal and this bamboo pole.” Changmin frowned, staring at his feet. “I did have a tiny idea though. It's not a very good one, but it's simple and should tide us over until we come up with something better.” Changmin started laying out his idea. Yunho beamed with pride, even though Changmin wasn't satisfied with his idea, Yunho thought it was very clever. He knew he had selected the right man for the job. Changmin was so much smarter than he gave himself credit for.

Changmin finished his explanation, almost mad at himself for how stupid it sounded. He kicked a rock out of the sand. “I'm no architect, so.. “ Changmin mumbled, moody as hell. He finally dared to look up to see Yunho's reaction, prepared for his disappointed eyes looking back at him but he only had a weird smile on his face. He tried to hug him again, but Changmin had had enough of hugs for one day and held him back. He fished a banana he had found out of his pocket and handed it to Yunho, without saying anything. He had intended on eating it himself, since he had only found one. But for some reason he suddenly had the urge to give it to Yunho. Yunho was amazingly tolerant and understanding sometimes, Changmin thought. Getting some crappy half-assed idea instead of a solution and still managing a smile to try to cheer him up. He sure was something!

 

G-Dragon heard someone yell his name. He turned around, scanning the tree line. Seungri came running faster than G-Dragon had ever seen him run. It was amazing how fast he could move. He came to a screeching halt right in front of him, almost running into him head first. “...Sss... sss....Seung.....Seung...” Seungri was so out of breath that he couldn't speak. G-Dragon put his hand on his shoulder, “Calm down. Breathe.”. When Daesung noticed Seungri was back and not Seunghyun, he got a really bad feeling in his gut. He dashed over to them, fast as an arrow. “Where's Seunghyun?!” he asked anxiously, almost yelling. Seungri's face was white, he still hadn't caught his breath but he pointed in the direction he came from. Daesung didn't wait for an explanation and bolted away in the direction of Seungri's finger.

G-Dragon looked around until he found Taeyang, giving him a signal with his eyes to follow Daesung. Taeyang was quick as a racehorse, quickly catching up with Daesung. G-Dragon took Seungri in his arms, patting his back to try and calm him down. “Shhh. Shhh. Everything will be okay.” he lied through his teeth, he had a bad feeling about this.