Part 8

Love Dust

 

 

Muttering to himself Kyuhyun was arranging all of the new clothes Sungmin received. Well, he got charged for them since Hyukjae apparently knew the numbers of composer’s credit cards (Kyuhyun didn’t want to brag, also because he could get accused of something, but he knew them, too, already). There was some big occasion coming up and Sungmin would have to attend a few meetings with investors since it turned out he owned half of Heechul’s talent agency and was holding shares in Hyukjae’s line of stores. He also had scheduled couple of appearances in some music shows on TV, not the popular ones where idols were flexing their muscles for the camera, but on the shows where professionals were discussing the process of music making. How Sungmin was supposed to function among larger amounts of people around him was a wonder for Kyuhyun but he apparently already did it a few times. Being very prone to second hand embarrassment Kyuhyun decided not to check out those programs from the past.

 

Finally, the walk-in closet adjoining the bedroom in his employer’s apartment was looking like it should. It had clothes of proper kind in it, not pieces of material pretending to be something a person could wear. And Kyuhyun could finally fulfill his dream and cut the rest of the rags Sungmin called his work clothes into wiping rags, buying the cleaning cloths every time he had to take out a stain was too uneconomical.

 

Satisfied with his work he closed the closet and with a slight skip in his walk he passed by the door leading to Sungmin’s studio. Normally the door were always closed but this time they were a little ajar and he could hear sounds coming from inside. At first he didn’t recognize the song but in a moment a soft, barely audible voice joined the guitar and his eyes got wide. That was the song Sungmin asked him to sing. But how did he record it? Well, the man was doing something on his phone before he asked Kyuhyun to sing again but he didn’t think a phone could record with such clear sound.

 

Still shocked, Kyuhyun walked closer to the door and saw that Sungmin was sitting in front of a few screens, headphones dangling around his neck, hand on the mouse changing parameters in the software on the display. However he moved the mouse the sound was changing slightly, mostly enhancing the voice.

 

Knowing that he was being pretty creepy Kyuhyun decided to knock on the door. His curiosity was stronger than his sense of propriety. Well, almost everything in his character was stronger and higher than his sens of propriety.

 

Upon hearing soft knock Sungmin spun in his chair and faced Kyuhyun with wide eyes.

 

‘What…’ He was about to ask. Not wanting to make the man angry, because that was something Kyuhyun didn’t want to experience since he didn’t have an idea what the man could do, Kyuhyun quickly cut him and explained.

 

‘The door was opened and I was arranging clothes in the closet.’ His words were rushed and he observed with relief that Sungmin just tilted his head. Maybe it was still okay since Kyuhyun was only peeking in though the only slightly open door.

 

‘O-oh…’ Composed mumbled and looked down at his fingers. There was silence for a moment before he looked up again and his eyes almost pierced Kyuhyun. ‘Come in.’ He said quietly and hesitated for a moment before adding. ‘Just don’t touch anything. And close the door.’

 

Kyuhyun bit his lower lip and slid inside the studio through the crack even though he could open the door more. He closed them after himself and remained standing almost plastered against them.

 

‘Sit here.’ Sungmin pointed to the chair that was placed right next to him. There were papers and CDs on it and Sungmin sent them to the floor with one swipe of his arm. He looked at surprised Kyuhyun and shrugged. ‘Demos.’

 

Not toying with his luck Kyuhyun quickly took the seat and looked at the display where Sungmin was altering parameters. Suddenly the composer took the headphones from around his neck and put them on Kyuhyun’s head before taking out another pair and putting it on himself.

 

In a moment, Kyuhyun heard now familiar melody, the guitar was slightly altered, as if it was given more depth and the sounds were more consistent and smooth. After the intro he held his breath as he heard his own hesitant voice. He had never heard himself singing like that. Well, he had never sang before really, sometimes hummed or mouthed the lyrics while was listening to some music but he never thought to record himself. Ryeowook told him once that he had nice timbre but that was it, since Kyuhyun didn’t want to venture into it more.

 

He liked it. He liked his voice, it was different. As if he was listening to some complete stanger and yet he knew that this voice was coming from him. It was low and deep, trembling a little due to the fact that he was a little nervous. The lyrics were easy to understand as he was smoothly rolling them off his tongue in that moment.

 

Kyuhyun closed his eyes and furrowed his brows listening to the song. He never imagined he could sound like that.

 

The song finished and he opened his eyes only to see Sungmin staring at him through his thickly rimmed glasses. They were just looking at each other for a longer moment before Sungmin suddenly turned towards the display and Kyuhyun cleared his throat and took off he headphones following the composer’s actions.

 

‘You must have changed it a lot…’ He said while placing the headphones on the desk gently and the leather on them before he placed both his hands on his lap. Suddenly he was feeling sheepish and a little anxious again. Like at the time when Sungmin asked him to sing.

 

Sungmin shook his head. ‘I only recorded the guitar again and eliminated all the pauses. This is your voice, no changes.’

 

Kyuhyun stared at the male without a word, his eyes blinking. He didn’t even know what to say and what did it mean that Sungmin recorded him and even did all the editing of the song even though he had so much other work on his hands.

 

‘I’m hungry.’ Finally, Sungmin said and got up from his chair. Obviously he didn’t want to leave Kyuhyun alone in his studio so he waited until the younger walked out and then closed the door behind himself. They weren’t speaking to each other, normally they exchanged very little conversation but this time they could feel it more.

 

As quickly as he could Kyuhyun escaped to the kitchen and started on the dinner. He tried not to think too much about what happened. And he kind of managed to until he head thuds coming from the living room. He run fast there to check if everything was alright with his boss. But the only thing he saw was Sungmin moving the couch by himself over the newly spread carpet on the floor.

 

Opening his mouth widely he gaped at the sight. ‘Ho~how?’ He managed to utter.

 

Sungmin straightened and looked at his employee with raised brow. ‘Didn’t think you and your friend were such wimps.’ Then he looked at Kyuhyun again. ‘Well, I thought that muscle man friend of yours would have more strength at least. You… I should have known would be useless.’ He smirked.

 

Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes and immediately decided that the moment in the studio was just some lapse in Sungmin’s crazy. Stomping like a little kid Kyuhyun walked back to the kitchen and added a little more tabasco to the chili.

 

***

 

‘Kyuhyun you little , why did you give my number to that molester?!’ Donghae shot into their common bedroom with a shout, face red.

 

Kyuhyun groaned. He got rudely woken up in the middle of the night and he was very close to just throwing whatever was in his range at his hyung. He flopped from his back onto his stomach and covered his head with his pillow.

 

‘I’m going to touch the computer if you won’t reply now!’

 

‘I’m up, I’m up!’ Kyuhyun suddenly shot up from his bed and looked blearily at his friend. Hae was working the night shift at the restaurant that day and he was still wearing his uniform. And he was furious. ‘What?’

 

Donghae searched for something on his phone and then shoved it into Kyuhyun’s face. Still a little dazed Kyuhyun tried to blink the fog that was before his eyes before he managed to focus them on the picture. And he flinched. On the display was the kissy face of Sungmin’s self-proclaimed best friend Lee Hyukjae. There were heart stickers all over that picture too.

 

‘So?’ Hae asked pushing the phone more into his friend’s face.

 

‘Huh?’ Kyuhyun didn’t know what he was asked about.

 

‘How else would he get my number if not from you?!’ Again the elder yelled and they both heard banging from the wall. Kyuhyun took a wooden hammer that was placed beside his bed, pressed his thin pillow against the wall and banged at it a few times. There was some loud cursing and then silence.

 

‘I didn’t give him your number. I saw him as much as you did.’ Finally he answered.

 

‘Then HOW?!’ Hae plopped onto the bed and looked at the picture with scrunched nose.

 

‘I don’t know and I don’t care. Maybe Heechul, goodnight.’ And Kyuhyun was back under his pillow trying to erase colorful hearts from his head while Donghae started typing a reply to Hyukjae. And since he was speaking aloud the content of the message Kyuhyun smirked to himself knowing how angry the failed stylist would probably get.

 

***

 

His eye was twitching a little since he didn’t know how to behave. That wasn’t something common for him since he always thought that sarcasm and mockery were proper in every situation. But the man sitting in front of him was emanating a strange kind of dominant aura, making him wonder if he should really unleash his snark at the man. Not that he wanted really but without snark there was little of conversationalist left in him.

 

‘I don’t bite.’ The man said and Kyuhyun pressed himself more into the couch because despite the words the voice sounded dangerously low and predatory. ‘Or rather I do but only if Heechul asks.’ There was the smirk and Kyuhyun wanted to run to the kitchen and close himself there.

 

‘Uhu…’ He managed to utter and sipped at his coffee trying to focus his attention of the TV that was playing commercials at the moment.

 

Heechul came to Sungmin that afternoon to discuss the upcoming appearances Stinky would have to make and the two men locked themselves in the studio. And Kyuhyun was given the task of accompanying Heechul’s boyfriend Jungsu. The man was a walking mystery for him. He had gentle face but his blond hair, shaved on the one side, and lined with dark kohl eyes were saying otherwise. He was wearing a dress shirt opened way more than decency allowed, showing that he was definitely working out a lot and his light jeans were torn fashionably in many places. At least both he and Heechul were well-mannered enough to take their shoes off so Kyuhyun could see his perfect pedicure. Normally he wouldn’t have paid attention to such detail but there was a dark tattoo slithering from under the jeans on the foot of the male.

 

‘I would have shown it to you but it would require me to take my pants off since it’s finishing here.’ Jungsu noticed how Kyuhyun was staring at his tattoo and while explaining tugged the shirt out of his pants and pointed at what was obviously a snake’s tongue on his hip bone visible over the waistband of his Calvin Klein boxer shorts. ‘Heechul is jealous enough as it is without me getting undressed in the my private time too.’ He chuckled and tucked the shirt back in.

 

Before Kyuhyun’s brain could react his mouth already spoke. ‘Too?’

 

There was a glint in Jungsu’s eyes and he smiled widely. ‘I’m a model for gay magazines. Thought you figured that out already.’

 

Kyuhyun chocked on his coffee and cursed when some of it spilled onto the carpet. Thankfully he was sitting in Sungmin’s spot and that particular place was covered in case the composer again tried to stain it somehow. Because at this point Kyuhyun started suspecting he was doing it on purpose.

 

‘That must be… nice.’ He wheezed out trying to overcome sudden anxiety raising in his stomach.

 

Jungsu sighed and spread himself more on the armchair. ‘It’s easy. I drop my clothes and just stand there. Sometimes I bring myself off but it’s a little harder with thirty staff people staring at you. But the worse is when they want me to stay erect for the whole shot and something goes wrong and it drags for hours. Can’t even begin to explain how painful it becomes.’ He was talking about it as accountant would about counting taxes.

 

The blush on Kyuhyun’s face was deepening with every word and he was trying to figure out how to escape without the man noticing. Although, it would be hard seeing how Jungsu was keeping a watchful eyes on him. He could always say he had some grocery shopping to do but he knew that the man saw how the fridge was fully supplied when he followed him to the kitchen when Kyuhyun was making coffee. And despite the whole image and profession Kyuhyun had an impression that he had an equal rival to his intellect in front of him.

 

Deciding that asking questions brought him more than he ever wanted to know Kyuhyun decided to remain silent unless asked. He dug his eyes into the bowl with cookies standing on the glass table.

 

‘So how are you and Sungmin doing?’ Jungsu obviously wanted to chat some more. Thankfully, he dropped the subject of his work.

 

Kyuhyun raised his questioning eyes at the man.

 

‘Ming is a strange little creature, not making fun of his height, of course.’ He laughed and even Kyuhyun’s lips twitched at the mention of Sungmin’s midget-like height. ‘But he’s a genius and geniuses have their quirks. His, apparently, is filth.’ This time Kyuhyun even smiled. ‘Heechul would bind me to bed and do unspeakable to me if he knew I’m telling you this but he’s really thankful to you, you’re talking such good care of Sungmin.’

 

Despite the slight nausea at the ual innuendo, Kyuhyun couldn’t help to feel something warm and nice blooming in his chest at the man’s words.

 

‘You’re like his boyfriend.’

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes almost bulged out of his head at those words and he was about to stutter out something, most probably unintelligible, when suddenly the bedroom door opened and Sungmin came out with Heechul in tow. The agent was smiling and obviously satisfied with the outcome of their discussion. Sungmin was simply scratching his stomach and looking around, probably searching for food. He was always looking for some food.

 

‘Snack in the kitchen.’ Kyuhyun said automatically and saw how Sungmin’s lips widened in a smile and he jogged towards the room. When he disappeared there to lose himself in the world of homemade sweet and sour crackers Heechul slid close to Kyuhyun.

 

‘Listen brat, I need you to do me a favor.’ He was hissing and cautiously observing the kitchen door in case the composer came back. He rummaged the bag he was carrying documents in and produced a small glass bottle. ‘These are pills my psychiatrist prescribed for me when I can’t sleep.’ Kyuhyun looked at him with raised brow and pfffed at the mention of the psychiatrist. ‘Don’t you dare judge me, with clients like Sungmin and boyfriend who is only a step away from being a star you would need a therapy too.’

 

Jungsu grinned at the words. Kyuhyun shook his head a little to get the image out.

 

‘Anyway. Sungmin needs to be up and running properly in three days. Which means he needs to sleep more than he does right now. Crash two pills into his meal tonight and he should be out for about 30 hours. These are strong enough to keep him drowsy and want to sleep but he’ll still manage to go to bathroom by himself. Though he’ll be hungry as hell after he wakes up for good.’

 

Kyuhyun took the bottle with pills and he couldn’t hide the scowl of dissatisfaction he was feeling at the agent’s methods. Sungmin was almost comatose normally and more drugs weren’t exactly what he needed. But truthfully speaking he had no other idea how to make his boss sleep. Sighing with resignation he put the bottle in his pocket.

 

‘Anything else?’ Remembering what Jungsu said he decided to be a little more pleasant towards Heechul.

 

‘Stay here.’ Was the simple request which Kyuhyun didn’t understand. Heechul noticed that it didn’t get through properly to the younger. ‘When he’ll be out just sleep here, it’s better if there will be someone watching him. In two days Hyukjae will come to do some magic and make him look like a proper human being so then you can leave if you want.’

 

Kyuhyun was digesting the request. He could say no, Heechul left him the way out of it, it wasn’t a demand or a threat. He could do however he wanted.

 

He looked towards the kitchen when Sungmin came out with a bowl with his crackers, stains from the sauce already all over his front, but happy smile peaking from under all the stubble. Sighing Kyuhyun nodded.

 

***

 

Drugging Sungmin wasn’t hard. As long as he had food he didn’t care about anything else so he didn’t even notice that there were two pills crushed and mixed with his curry. Kyuhyun expected him to go around a little bit and go to sleep when he started to feel drowsy but he was very wrong. By the time Sungmin’s plate was almost empty he was already swaying in his seat and threatening to fall face first into the food. But he still managed to finish it before he put his head beside the plate and was positively out of it.

 

Cursing his luck Kyuhyun took care of all of the dishes and only then stood beside the table staring at his snoring boss wondering how he was supposed to bring his dead weight to the bedroom. His muscles already proved to be completely useless. He simply looked at how Sungmin’s opened mouth was half plastered against the table’s surface before the man smacked his lips, mumbled something and turned his head, everything while still being unconscious.

 

Rolling his eyes Kyuhyun slipped his arms under Sungmin’s armpits and lifted the man. This much he still could do. The problem was with moving the smaller man to his bedroom. Sungmin was completely unconscious, his body was a dead weight and he was already falling through Kyuhyun’s hands. Linking his hands together in the front of the male Kyuhyun hugged him tight, his front almost glued to the other’s back. It would be glued for real a few weeks ago before Sungmin started showering daily.

 

Grunting with exertion he moved backwards dragging the body of the other. He definitely needed to exercise more. Every step he was taking was making him hurt physically. Not even half the way to the bedroom, he propped Sungmin against the wall and leaned on him breathing heavily. He didn’t have this kind of heavy labor in his job description. He didn’t have a lot of things he was doing in his job description but this was bordering on harassment. For him, of course.

 

Bracing himself again he gripped Sungmin tighter and sliding him against the wall they managed to get to the bedroom door. Using his leg he kicked the door open and he swung Sungmin inside. That wasn’t a very wise decision because the man was much heavier than one would expect from his small frame and so Kyuhyun lost his balance and to prevent Sungmin from making an intimate contact with the floor he bent backwards and landed on his . It was a painful experience.

 

Flexing his cheeks a few times to get some feeling back into them he got up to his knees and started to slide Sungmin’s body on the floor. When the edge of the bed hit his back he could almost cry. Almost because he still needed to haul Sungmin’s body onto the bed. The best option was to get on it and pull the other. And it was also the worst option because that way Kyuhyun would have to get on that bed too and he was avoiding doing it at all cost. He even changed the sheets in rubber gloves.

 

Praying for no STDs he crawled onto the mattress and again slid his arms under Sungmin’s armpits. The man was propped in sitting position against the bed so it wasn’t that hard. Only after a few tugs Kyuhyun managed to get Sungmin onto the bed. He quickly jumped off it and shuddered before he moved his boss so that he would be in less uncomfortable position. He spread thick blanket over his form, took off the glasses and released his, thankfully clean, hair from the pin and he was out the door.

 

According to Heechul he had 30 hours before Sungmin came back to the land of living.

 

***

 

Donghae was laughing maniacally when he dropped off Kyuhyun’s backpack with things he asked his hyung to bring for him. Kyuhyun didn’t even regret kicking the man on the when he was going out and slamming the door in his face. He was getting pretty good at that.