Part 15

Love Dust

 

The next few days until the date followed their normal routine, meaning Sungmin was holing himself up in his studio and pretending to be very busy while Kyuhyun cleaned and was screaming at him to go running. Every other day the composer had some schedule, he was a guest on a popular show about music as a specialist and after his first appearance when he insulted other guests, made some unconventional comments and critiqued almost all of that years rookie groups the producers decided he needed to come back for a few more recordings. Kyuhyun watched that first episode and couldn’t help cracking up whenever the guest was laughing because he or she thought that whatever Sungmin said was a joke. And it really wasn’t judging from the man’s poker face.

 

Kyuhyun had to focus on studying a little more since his test was coming up, he was glad that it was on Friday so he could go out and not feel the pressure.

 

During those days Heechul came once. He brought the tickets for Henry Lau’s performances but said that it was Sungmin who summoned him. The agent and the composer locked themselves in the studio for at least three hours. Before that Sungmin warned his house help not to disturb them or even enter the bedroom. Kyuhyun assumed he was working on some new hit and didn’t want any risk of leakage.

 

When Heechul finally emerged from the studio Kyuhyun couldn’t shake off the impression that the agent was observing him with curiosity and sudden interest.

 

Kyuhyun shrugged it off. He couldn’t be involved in whatever those two were doing.

 

 

***

 

‘How was the test?’

 

Kyuhyun’s head snapped up from under the chair where he was chasing the persistent spider that was hiding from him for a week already.

 

‘What?’ He threw last angry glare towards the hideout of the eight legged monster and directed his sight towards Sungmin.

 

The man was looking through some mail that Kyuhyun left for him on the table. If it weren’t bills Sungmin was allowed to browse through it.

 

‘Today’s test? How did you do?’ The elder threw the papers down, deeming them uninteresting probably, before he faced Kyuhyun. There was barely noticeable stubble over his upper lip but since he didn’t have anything the previous day he still didn’t shave.

 

Kyuhyun gaped at the man. Of course he mentioned something to his employer. He was even studying in the apartment whenever he was cooking and had a free moment. But he didn’t think Sungmin would pay any attention, much less ask about it. He blinked and cleared his throat.

 

‘Um… good I think? I swapped notes with a friend and it helped. I’ll pass, that’s for sure.’ He said, his eyes on the table looking at the barely noticeable smudge.

 

‘That’s great.’ Sungmin nodded to himself. He obviously had some other motive for starting the conversation because he opened his mouth again but closed it quickly. Throwing a fast glance towards his bedroom he furrowed his brows before starting again. ‘Kyuhyun, you remember you sang the song for me.’ Finally it was out.

 

Kyuhyun brows jumped up. ‘Yeah. That ballad. I swear I didn’t tell anyone about it. I might have hummed it at home with Hae but he’s tone deaf and couldn’t repeat it to save his life.’ He quickly explained thinking that was the reason he got asked about it.

 

He saw that Sungmin hesitated for a moment before sighing and shaking his head. ‘Okay, good. About tonight – we’re both going from here or meet somewhere?’ Came the sudden question and Kyuhyun had to think for a moment before he remembered that they arranged to go out.

 

‘I came straight from university so I’ll need to change. I can… pick you up later? Or we can meet somewhere.’ The situation was becoming a little uncomfortable for Kyuhyun because he was definitely feeling like a boy with his date.

 

‘It’s in Hongdae, right?’ Sungmin asked surprising Kyuhyun once again because he mentioned the place only once.  The younger nodded. ‘I’ll meet you at the entrance to the playground. Heechul’s house is in that area so I’ll leave car there.’ He nodded to himself before turning around and walking back to his studio.

 

Kyuhyun stood motionless for a longer moment before the blush spread all over his face and he bit his lower lip. He was feeling too fluffy inside. He needed something to tone that down.

 

Quickly untying his apron and throwing it onto the couch he shot out of the apartment and across the hall. He banged at the door for a moment before they opened and surprised Siwon appeared in them. He was obviously working out judging from the sweat dripping down his body and the towel wrapped around his neck. Kyuhyun scrunched his face.

 

‘Ew, you’re even more repulsive than before.’ He commented. Siwon pouted at that.

 

‘How can I help you Kyunnie?’ The man adopted that infuriating habit of calling Kyuhyun by that nickname.

 

‘Lend me your phone for a second.’ He outstretched his hand. Thankfully Siwon was gullible and trusting so the device was in Kyuhyun’s palm a moment later.

 

He unlocked it and searched the phone book before finding what he was looking for. Pressing the green button be put it to his ear. After three signals someone picked it.

 

Wei?’

 

‘ZhouMi, right?’ Kyuhyun knew that the man spoke Korean since Siwon listed that as one of his many talents. And speaking about Siwon, the man furrowed his brows with confusion but didn’t make a move to take his phone back.

 

Yes.’ Came the accented answer.

 

‘I’m Siwon’s… neighbor.’ He scrunched his nose at the smile that bloomed on Siwon’s face. ‘He wants to introduce you to his bed pronto, in every position possible, so consider coming here.’ Suddenly the model’s eyes widened and he flailed his arms around blushing furiously. ‘It was nice talking to you!’ And he hung up before tossing the device to spluttering Siwon.

 

With a grin on his face Kyuhyun marched back to Sungmin’s apartment. Yes, he did well.

 

***

 

Kyuhyun decided not to question for once Donghae's intentions and just murmured barely understandable thank you when he saw clothes ironed and prepared on his bed after he got out of shower. He was still freaking about what he should wear as he was showering, constantly yelling to Hae about how he doesn’t have enough clothes for this. The man must have taken pity on his poor dongsaeng.

 

There on the bed was a pair of dark grey washed out jeans that he needed at least fifteen minutes to squeeze into. For the top Hae chose for him simple fitted t-shirt with quite wide neck in black and white stripes with buttons going to around the sternum. His hyung already opened three of them and Kyuhyun decided to leave it like that. There was also assortment of some thin leather bracelets and after a short internal battle Kyuhyun put half of them on his right wrist before clasping his watch on the left one.

 

He didn’t also question when Donghae came at him with a hair mousse and hairdryer and for the next ten minutes fondled with his strands. The final effect made Kyuhyun raise his brow in surprise and appreciation, because it seemed that bed hair was also some kind of a style. But he definitely wouldn’t risk going out in his natural bed hair.

 

When they were about to leave, since Donghae was also going to the performance, the elder stopped and turned towards Kyuhyun with serious expression.

 

‘I’m pretty sure Sungmin has a lot of these, but having one more just in case you won’t make it into the apartment won’t hurt. Quite literally, from what I read on the internet.’ Two packets got placed in Kyuhyun's palm and he looked at them with furrowed brows before his face turned into a flame.

 

There, in his palm, were one package of strawberry flavored and one packet of lube.

 

‘Gay is really hard.’ Hae shook his head and sighed before walking out and ignoring that his dongsaeng was rooted to the floor.

 

***

 

He was running a little late because the owner of the bar asked Ryeowook's band to perform in his other pub. It farther away than the place they were supposed to play first.

 

Jogging through the crowds, which were already appearing on the streets, he knew he was reaching the playground. It was a meeting spot for many people after that one drama aired. It was already dusk and lamps were starting to switch on, stalls were glowing with colorful lights and the area was awakening for the night full of concerts and parties. He hadn’t been there for quite some time due to work and university and, despite his lack of interest in social interactions, he missed coming there. One could get lost in the nameless crowd, just forget who he or she was for the night.

 

There was some loud noise from the side and Kyuhyun instinctively looked that way, which caused him to bump into a middle aged couple of foreigners that were probably on a sightseeing tour. Apologizing with deep bow he spun around and barely avoided colliding with another person.

 

Someone grabbed his shoulders tightly and steadied him.

 

‘You’re okay?’

 

Kyuhyun's head snapped up. It was Sungmin’s voice.

 

Breath caught in his throat. Well, it wasn’t as surprising as seeing the man cleaned up for the first time, but still it caused his mind to go blank for a moment.

 

It was a hot night and Sungmin was wearing black sleeveless low-cut v-neck with a hood. It was from some thin fabric because the man’s pale skin was visible slightly through it. On the bottom he had simple black skinny jeans. But not his clothes made Kyuhyun gape. Sungmin’s hair was suddenly permed and swept to the side covering most of his forehead, it was slicked back on the other side. He looked amazing.

 

‘You’ve got perm?’ Were the first words that left Kyuhyun's mouth when his brain finally decided to cooperate.

 

Sungmin sighed heavily. ‘I went to Heechul early in case I dressed wrong and had to change. Turned out Jungsu changed his allergy meds and instead of sleeping the whole days he was hyperactive, jumping around the house and having the wildest ideas. Like perming Heechul’s hair. So my agent used me as a human shield and this is what happened.’ He blew at the fringe that was obviously getting in his eyes. ‘Thankfully Heechul switched the bottles and Jungsu didn’t notice he’s using mousse.’ He furrowed his brows. ‘Which makes me question his knowledge about perms since he didn’t notice the thing was foaming.’

 

Kyuhyun chuckled, his eyes roaming the other’s face. He didn’t feel any shame at doing it. He just wanted to stare at the perfect features of his boss. But he noticed something else.

 

‘Are you wearing make-up too?’ That was something new. Sungmin’s eyes were normally lined with his black lashes but it seemed that now the effect was enhanced by something else.

 

Groaning Sungmin leaned on the post he was standing under. ‘Also Jungsu. Said that it’s a must in Hongdae. I’ll wash it off in the bathroom.’

 

‘NO!’ Kyuhyun's sudden outburst brought a few strange looks from the people surrounding them. Sungmin included. ‘I mean.’ He swallowed hard. ‘You can leave it. You’ll fit right in, everyone’s wearing make up. I look weird because I’m not!’ He knew he was rambling but seeing Sungmin like this was probably almost once in a lifetime experience. And Kyuhyun might have been a little delusional but he imagined that it was all for him.

 

Clearing his throat Kyuhyun tore his eyes away from Sungmin’s stunningly beautiful face. ‘Let’s go? It’s a little farther since they moved places at the last moment.’

 

Sungmin pursed his lips and nodded at that. When Kyuhyun started to push through thickening crowd he knew that Sungmin was close behind him because their shoulders brushed against each other from time to time and Kyuhyun already knew by heart and smell all of his boss’s colognes. This time the man went with some fresh and a little sweet scent. It suited him.

 

They were walking side by side when they got out of the crown that gathered near the playground and only then Kyuhyun realized he had never seen Sungmin outside of apartment. Well, that one time when they went for glasses didn’t count really as it was only five minutes away from home.

 

He was throwing curious glances at the elder man. Sungmin was mostly just looking ahead, watching not to bump into people, but there were times when his eyes were straying to something that caught his attention in the stalls or groups of people lurking in the entrances of the bars. His attention was perking up more whenever he heard some music, either from the street performer or from the inside of some club, he was slowing down a little and narrowing his eyes before tilting his head and shaking it. Sometimes when the tune was probably too horrible in his opinion he was quickening his pace and Kyuhyun had to stretch his legs more to keep up. Despite being taller and having longer legs he had to work hard to walk at the same pace as the composer who probably had the advantage because of his running routine.

 

‘We’re almost there.’ Kyuhyun said when again Sungmin picked up the pace scrunching his nose.

 

The elder suddenly snapped from his unsatisfied with surrounding music state and looked at his house help with wide eyes. He blinked twice before the words registered in his head and nodded. His lips turned into a small smile.

 

‘Okay.’

 

Kyuhyun let out a ragged breath as he looked forward. That crush of his was starting to become really annoying.

 

***

 

The music club was quite big and there were already crowds waiting at the entrance. Kyuhyun eyed them with worry as Sungmin propped his hands on his hips and was just looking around.

 

‘I’ve been here.’ The composer commented in a low voice. ‘It’s one of those places where bands get discovered by Shindong or other scout. Shindong found last year’s group here too, they’re training now under the company we have partnership with.’ He was speaking with a thoughtful expression on his face.

 

Kyuhyun nodded not knowing how react to those words. He knew that Ryeowook's group was good, they were around for a few years already and they were always welcomed in whatever bar or music club they wanted to play.

 

Suddenly Kyuhyun saw a hand with familiar ring waving his direction and in a moment Donghae's head appeared over the crowd for a second and from then on it was bouncing up and down. The man was a midget, really.

 

Without thinking Kyuhyun grabbed Sungmin’s hand and pulled the surprised man towards his friend. They received some glares and he was elbowed twice on his way to the entrance but when he finally reached his best friend, he and Sungmin walked pass the rope keeping people outside. Feeling smug he turned and smirked with superiority at the people that were left waiting outside.

 

Donghae rolled his eyes and smacked him hard across the head, but he was careful enough not to destroy the hairdo he put so much work into styling on his dongsaeng. Sungmin chuckled at that and they all walked farther into the club.

 

It was already buzzing with chatting, people were standing wherever there was a spot available, crowding the small corridor leading to the staircase. Everywhere was dark and the violet lights weren’t doing much to help see one’s way. People passing by weren’t really looking were they were going either and more often then not they were bumping into them and Kyuhyun was already separated from Donghae by two bodies, but he could still see his friend. Besides, once they were inside the problem of finding each other wasn’t that big so he wasn’t even anxious. This couldn’t be said about someone else.

 

At some point Kyuhyun felt tugging at his shirt and he turned his head with annoyed huff only to see the uncomfortable expression on Sungmin’s face. The man was slumped a little and was throwing slightly bewildered glances at people that were bumping into him. Kyuhyun scrunched his nose. He should have known better. Sungmin was okay on the street with crowds where there was space to step back into and distance oneself from all of the people. Here there was nowhere to escape. Sungmin was an introvert and despite not having the anxiety issues he still didn’t like being in huge and tight crowds like the one in the club. And while touching others wasn’t really a problem, people bumping and shoving him made him obviously irritable – Kyuhyun concluded after he pondered why someone like Sungmin did taekwondo. He must have been like that most, if not whole, his life and there were probably people who tried to take advantage of it. Kyuhyun doubted Sungmin was exactly bullied, considering he started his training very early and knew how to fend for himself, but it didn’t mean he wasn’t getting antsy with it.

 

And so, Sungmin was holding onto Kyuhyun's t-shirt tightly, like a child. Kyuhyun smiled a little to himself and slowly took the hand off his t-shirt and into his own hand entwining their fingers. Sungmin obviously relaxed and straightened, his hold tightening but not hurting. He even started to look around.

 

‘Wow, you’re creepy.’ Ryeowook commented when they finally reached the top of the staircase they were climbing and found the booth where the small man was sitting with some other people. He was looking with amusement at Kyuhyun's smiling face. ‘If I didn’t know you better I would say you’re high.’

 

Immediately Kyuhyun glowered at the man and earned laughter from the whole table. ‘I’m kind of high, in comparison to you.’ He smirked seeing how Ryeowook's face turned into that of an irritation. He knew the man had huge issues with his small height.

 

‘Well, as much as I enjoy seeing Wookie all riled up I would rather his throat didn’t clamp before the performance like it tends to do.’ One of the people at the table said with a snicker making Kyuhyun grin and Ryeowook growl and everyone else laughed.

 

‘Okay, maybe just first introduce someone before the guy takes off like he looks he might.’ Another person said and grinned.

 

Kyuhyun looked to his side. Sungmin didn’t look like he was ready to flee. He was rather… lost in his own world again. A girl was playing guitar on the stage, probably as a kind of support for Wookie's band, and the composer was obviously immersed in the melody. He must have liked it.

 

‘Nah, he’s okay.’ He tugged a little at Sungmin’s arm that was entangled with his making the man wake up. It did its job because the elder turned slowly towards him and opened his eyes with question written in it. ‘Maybe meet some people before you get comatose with music?’

 

Sungmin’s brows raised and he tilted his head a little surprised before he looked at where Kyuhyun was gesturing with his head. A group of people was staring at him with expectancy before everyone started to laugh.

 

‘Oh my God, you’re a moron.’ Donghae finally rolled his eyes and put his hand on Sungmin’s shoulder. If the elder noticed he didn’t show it but Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes. ‘Everyone, this is Sungmin, he’s Kyu's boss. Oh, and he’s our hyung. Well, not yours Yunho.’ He looked pointedly at the man who made the fleeing comment.

 

Ryeowook slipped from his spot beside a girl with brown hair cut to reach her jaw. He bowed a little and smiled sweetly at Sungmin. ‘I’m Ryeowook, Kyuhyun's friend, it’s nice to meet you.’

 

Sungmin responded with a bow, his hand disentangling from Kyuhyun, who sighed heavily at the loss. ‘Lee Sungmin, nice to meet you, too.’

 

‘Well, this is my band, Elfen. I’m main vocalist. The comedian whose mic won’t work tonight is Changmin, our bassist.’ He pointed at the guy who laughed at Ryeowook clamping. The guys grinned and swept his long fringe from his eyes. ‘The grandpa is Yunho, second guitarist.’ He barely avoided the swat that was aimed at his stomach from the man he introduced. ‘The one you probably didn’t notice because he’s almost hidden under the table is our lead guitarist Jungmo.’ A guy with huge and a little surprised eyes waved at them from where he was pushed into the corner of the booth. ‘Drummer Kibum is still MIA, but he’ll get here right before the performance, he’s doing some community theatre or other crap on the side.’ He muttered before sliding to the side and putting his hand on the nape of the girl that he was sitting next to. ‘And this is Hyelim, my girlfriend, groupie and self appointed manager because as she says – we’re retarded business-wise.’ The girl slapped his arm but laughed at the introduction.

 

Sungmin took everything in with his eyes wide, probably trying hard to remember the names and roles. He looked at Kyuhyun with uncertainty.

 

‘Don’t worry. I’m gonna remind you their names.’ The younger assured with a smile.

 

The group scooched and they all managed to fit in. After Ryeowook ordered them drinks on the band’s tab everyone just kept looking at Sungmin who was paying attention only to the girl on stage again.

 

‘That’s Seohyun, she’s good right?’ Finally Ryeowook said and drew Sungmin’s attention. The man furrowed his brows before answering.

 

‘Depending. She’s playing well and that makes the melody good. But if she claims this her own song she’s lying. It’s a song from 60s band Demise, second album. She just slowed down the tempo by one quarter and changed the lyrics a little.’ He stopped for a moment before nodding to himself as if confirming his words.

 

Everyone stared at him in awe.

 

‘Um… what do you do for living?’ It was surprisingly Jungmo who asked the question.

 

Kyuhyun just opened his mouth to reply and save the other from revealing himself but Sungmin was faster.

 

‘I’m a composer.’ Everyone made an understanding sound at that. ‘I work under the name VitaMin.’ And this was when everyone froze and their eyes widened impossibly.

 

Kyuhyun groaned and Donghae scrunched his nose and pursed his lips. Only the two of them knew and while for them it wasn’t a big deal, it kind of was for Kyuhyun's friends from the band. Sungmin was famous in music circles. Insanely famous for a composer. That was why he didn’t tell Ryeowook.

 

Nobody said anything for a moment. And then everyone started speaking at the same time.