Part 16

Love Dust

It took a few longer minutes, Kibum arriving in a ridiculous costume and the club’s manager call for the band to come on stage for the screaming to stop. When finally everyone left to get ready for their performance, Kyuhyun put his head on the table and groaned. Everyone mostly screamed at him for not telling them, that the person he was working for was the most sought after composer of the year. Some screaming was directed at Donghae for being a douche and a moron for hiding the fact too and only some yells were directed towards Sungmin, but those mostly involved complimenting and praising his work. So Kyuhyun got the short end of the stick this time. Well, he always did so it wasn’t all that surprising.

 

Straightening his form Kyuhyun shook his head. Donghae went to get them some more drinks, since they decided they would need more booze to deal with the band during the breaks it would surely take after a few songs. Turning to check if Sungmin was fine Kyuhyun saw how the man was leaning against the backrest with his eyes closed and obvious relief on his face.

 

‘Sungmin? Are you okay?’ He asked and leaned closer to the other male.

 

Suddenly the elder opened his eyes and turned his head to face Kyuhyun. Their faces were very close and Sungmin was looking for a longer moment at the younger before he reached towards him. Kyuhyun held his breath not knowing what he should be expecting but his eyes stayed fixated on the brown orbs now staring intently into his. Gentle fingers brushed his forehead rearranging a few strands that must have gone out of place when he put his head on the table. As fast as the hand came it was gone and Sungmin relaxed against the booth’s couch again.

 

The breath Kyuhyun was holding released and he hesitated for a moment before backing slightly away.

 

‘I’m fine. A little overwhelmed though. Maybe I shouldn’t have said my work name.’ Sungmin mumbled while looking at his entwined fingers under the table.

 

Kyuhyun made a du-uh sound. He threw a glance towards the band that was preparing for the performance and he put his palms on the table before pushing himself up. He was almost out of the booth when he felt a tug at his t-shirt. Looking behind he saw bewilderment in Sungmin’s eyes.

 

‘Where are you going?’ Sungmin asked, eyes wide and a little anxious.

 

‘Bathroom? Before they start playing.’ He tilted his head towards the scene where his friends were getting ready. But in reality they were just buying time for Kibum who was probably changing in the back.

 

Sungmin was looking at him for a moment longer. ‘I’ll go with you.’ He finally said and started to get up when Kyuhyun panicked.

 

‘Huh? Why? Do you need to?’ He started looking around in search for Donghae. He found him flirting with some girl with half of the make up shop on her face. ‘.’ He mumbled under his nose.

 

‘No.’ Sungmin shook his head. ‘I don’t feel comfortable without you.’ His sincerity made Kyuhyun's breath hitch and he swallowed thickly.

 

‘Um, Hae will be here shortly?’ He started to wave desperately to catch his friend’s attention. ‘And I have a performance anxiety.’ He blurted out, his face flushing.

 

Sungmin blinked a few times before looking down. ‘Oh.’

 

A moment passed when Kyuhyun was battling with himself. Finally, he groaned silently and grabbed Sungmin’s wrist tugging the man behind. He pulled his phone from the pocket of his jeans and pushed it into composer’s hands. The man looked at the device with furrowed brows before rising inquiring look at Kyuhyun.

 

‘Send Hyukjae a message where we are and that Hae is here. I want to be able to get into my apartment tonight without having to witness another banging session of my flatmate.’ He explained and threw a glare towards Donghae who was a little closer to the girl already. ‘Do it fast. Search under .’

 

They reached the restroom. It was empty and thankfully quite big. Kyuhyun decided that the stall would be the best choice for him since Sungmin leaned against the sinks, his fingers working fast on creating the message to his friend.

 

Just when he was ready to go he heard a familiar voice right behind the stall’s door.

 

‘I’ve sent it. He replied he’ll be here in twenty.’

 

Cursing under his breath Kyuhyun tilted his head to the back and closed his eyes. ‘Sungmin, could you just go back to the sinks?’

 

A moment of silence. ‘Yeah, sure.’ There was some shuffling and Kyuhyun sighed with relief. Again the feeling of readiness came and he smiled blissfully when finally his bladder got released from the pressure.

 

When he finished and exited the stall Sungmin was looking at him with a raised brow, arms folded on his chest.

 

‘Did you drink a tank of water before coming here?’ The composer commented. ‘It sounded like Niagara.’

 

Kyuhyun's eyes bulged and he blushed profusely before scrambling to the sink and washing his hands furiously. He straightened and was about to turn to leave when Sungmin’s face slid into his immediate vision.

 

‘Now I need to go. Wait.’

 

As if to torment Kyuhyun more Sungmin chose the urinal. Standing with his back to the man, who was humming happily while relieving himself, Kyuhyun buried his face in his hands. This was such a bad idea.

 

***

 

Kyuhyun leaned with his back on the bar waiting for the bartender to bring him wine he ordered for Sungmin from the back. They didn’t keep such expensive bottles on the display and Sungmin refused to drink anything else. Not that Kyuhyun minded, he would enjoy what was most probably magnificent wine with his employer.

 

Wookie's band was already performing on the stage, people gathered around them mesmerized by the slow ballad that pouring from the speakers while Jungmo’s guitar was adding edge to the song but combining beautifully with Ryeowook's soft voice.

 

Throwing a glance towards their booth Kyuhyun noticed that Sungmin was observing the performance with intensity, obviously interested in the music.

 

Sighing Kyuhyun turned around to prop himself on his elbows and bend over the bar a little. After the bathroom incident things started to look better, especially because he didn’t have to talk to Sungmin too much. He wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do now, what to talk about, how to behave. They were meeting his friends, yeah, but this seemed too much like a date to him. And he didn’t date. Ever. He was terrified what would happen if Sungmin suddenly realized that he was staring at him for a whole new reason, and not because he was plain weird like before.

 

‘First time in a few months I see you here and you just have to be agonizing over something. Just my luck.’

 

A female voice brought Kyuhyun out of his thoughts and he looked to the side. Immediately he smiled and twisted his body so that he was leaning only on the side facing the person beside him.

 

‘Hey Sooyoung.’ He was greeted with a wide smile and a tilt of a head.

 

Sooyoung was a waitress in the club. At least before, because judging from her outfit, she wasn’t anymore. She was wearing a short leather skirt from under which her long legs were looking like miles-long, especially in the stilettos she was wearing. On the top she had knitted see-through, shimmering with gold and loose. He could make out a strapless top from under it. As always bracelets were adoring her wrists and she had long earrings, coming down to her shoulders and leaning on them, while her dark chocolate hair was pulled up in a messy bun. Her make up was dark, but not overwhelming.

 

‘I see you’re not waiting tables anymore.’ He commented and followed with his eyes how she flipped a curled strand out of her eyes.

 

‘I was made manager.’ She smiled widely at him. ‘Last month actually. I finished that course I was taking and owner finally agreed to give me a chance.’

 

Kyuhyun grinned widely. ‘Congratulation! I thought you’re never gonna finish that one.’ He teased remembering all the complaining Sooyoung was doing whenever they were chatting at the bar during her breaks.

 

She made a face at him but smiled again. ‘It was tough, especially for a high-school drop out like me.’ She stuck her tongue at him. ‘Not everyone’s so lucky to be a genius.’

 

Kyuhyun chuckled. She always called him a genius since she learned he was double majoring with the prospect of PhD in his future.

 

‘You manage what I suppose to be the most popular club in this district, not so bad either.’ He shrugged and looked around for the bartender who was still obviously on his hunt for the wine.

 

‘I could show you around if you want to take a peak so desperately.’

 

Kyuhyun's head snapped at the sudden suggestion. Sooyoung’s head was tilted and her eye slightly narrowed. She had a gentle smile on her lips but it was more suggestive that Kyuhyun had ever seen on her. Sure, sometimes she was making comments that made him wonder if she was really coming onto him, but this time it was quite a clear invitation.

 

Swallowing nervously Kyuhyun threw a quick glance towards the booth. It was empty. Slight panic arouse in him because apparently he lost sight of Sungmin but couldn’t really run around searching for him at the moment.

 

‘I’m just waiting for bottle of wine.’ He managed to push through his lips and looked down at his hands playing with the money he was holding.

 

‘Oh, I know. But the backrooms are quite nice. I have my own office, too. It’s small but… enough.’ There was a glint in Sooyoung’s eyes as she slowly slid against the counter towards him. ‘Those few months did you good. I liked you when you looked like a poor student, but I think I should make myself more clear now since you decided to appeal to a wider audience.’ Her hand was suddenly on Kyuhyun's forearm, the one that he was leaning with on the counter, and he couldn’t really move it without crashing into the wooden surface.

 

‘Sooyoung, I…’ What he was supposed to say? That he was on a kind of a date with his boss even thought the said boss didn’t really know that it was a date? Sooyoung was a very attractive girl and she was nice. He always enjoyed her company and the small talks they were exchanging. And really, her proposition wasn’t even that lewd, he knew that she was just acting like that and if he decided to follow her nothing serious would happen. He knew her enough to be sure they would end up flirting and maybe kissing a little – nothing more. But he didn’t want that. He wanted slightly chubby, but muscular arms to wrap around his waist and familiar warmth to press against his back.

 

I knew this would be a bad idea. He chided himself mentally but still not knowing what to say without insulting the girl.

 

And that was the first, and probably the last too, time in his life that he could say loud and clear he loved Hyukjae.

 

Just as Sooyoung was opening her lips to say something more, maybe try to seduce him, a bony arm slung around his shoulders.

 

‘Kyunnie! Thank you for the invitation!’ An annoying screech made Kyuhyun's eardrums tremble with irritation, but his heart leapt with happiness.

 

Quickly spinning around Kyuhyun came face to face with the blond stylist whose hair was mused up and who was wearing definitely too much eyeliner. And there was again his own face on the top he was donning.

 

The shine of Hyukjae's impossibly whitened teeth didn’t blind Kyuhyun thankfully and he managed to see that Sungmin was standing right behind his stylist with hands folded over his chest and a raised brow, observing him with what looked like an irritated amusement. How did Kyuhyun know it was irritated? Because Sungmin’s jaw was clenching like that only when Kyuhyun went healthy with his lunches making him eat salads. That made the composer VERY irritated.

 

‘So where are those sweet cheeks you promised me?’ Hyuk was still hanging on him while looking around in search of Donghae. It wasn’t that hard to spot him since he was crowding on the bustiest blonde in the place. ‘Oh, there is my love!’ Hyukjae squealed and released Kyuhyun to clap. ‘Sungmin says he wants his wine by the way.’

 

Before Kyuhyun knew what was happening Hyukjae grabbed Sungmin’s arm and threw him into Kyuhyun. As it that wasn’t enough, Sungmin decided that he suddenly needed his human contact dose and wrapped himself around Kyuhyun's waist. From his position the younger couldn’t see that his boss was sending not so friendly looks towards Sooyoung.

 

Kyuhyun tentatively sneaked the arm that was hanging over Sungmin’s shoulder around the elder’s back settling it firmly on the man’s waist. If the tightening of the hug Sungmin’s held him in was any indication, he knew he did well. He took a shy glance at Sooyoung and noticed how she backed a little farther away from the two of them but instead of scandalized expression she was giggling behind her hand.

 

‘Oh well, can’t blame the girl for trying. Should have made my move earlier, huh.’ She shrugged her shoulders and winked at them both before walking towards the staff door and disappearing behind them while yelling at one of the waiters to get his out there.

 

Kyuhyun knew that his cheeks were ablaze and he refused to look down at the mop of falsely permed hair which was still pressed against his chest. Well, they were in the part of town that a lot was accepted but he knew that sooner or later some douche would come their way and make some homoual comment. So sighing heavily he slowly wiggled out of Sungmin’s embrace. As if to save him from explaining himself the bartender finally arrived with dusty and expensive looking bottle in hand.

 

Before Kyuhyun had a chance to pay Sungmin slammed his credit card onto the counter, grabbed the bottle and walked away leaving both stunned Kyuhyun and the guy behind the bar. Thankfully Kyuhyun knew the codes for all of the cards. But still, Sungmin’s behavior was… new.

 

***

 

No matter how Kyuhyun looked at the rest of the evening he couldn’t shake off the disappointment. Everything was just so… normal. Not something he was expecting with Sungmin out of his cave and mingling with people.

 

The composer was drinking his wine, after sharing some with everyone, just listening carefully to the band and their songs. He was obviously enjoying himself, but he didn’t really talk to Kyuhyun all that much. He was rather discussing music with Jungmo and Ryeowook in the corner. Not that it was that strange, Sungmin had his moments of clinginess and those when he didn’t want to have anything to do with other human beings. But lately Kyuhyun thought that he was an exception and that his boss would cling to him whenever he could, it made him feel special. He didn’t really think that outside of the apartment it would be any different but it seemed that Sungmin just needed more people around him to forget about his house help.

 

Donghae was furious at him. Hyukjae successfully scared off any bimbos that were swaying towards Hae and he wasn’t really doing anything that was crossing personal boundaries. Apparently his flamboyantness was enough to make their whole booth look gay. Which made Donghae angry at his roommate. Of course. Because Kyuhyun's evening didn’t already enough.

 

Around two Sungmin finally turned to Kyuhyun. He was looking tired and a little tipsy but other than that completely fine. He was even smiling, but that was only due to something Changmin said a moment before which made Kyuhyun want to strangle his friend with that trendy scarf he had conveniently wrapped around his neck.

 

‘I think I’ll go now.’ Sungmin’s voice was low but enough to be heard only by Kyuhyun.

 

‘Already?’ The younger quickly looked at his watch and scrunched his nose. Despite his sulking he didn’t notice how the time passed. ‘A-hhh, okay. I’ll walk you out.’

 

They got up from the booth and, after waving their goodbyes to those who were still conscious enough to notice their leave, Sungmin quickly made his way through the crowd not bothering to look behind him at Kyuhyun. Which made the younger’s chest squeeze uncomfortably.

 

The place was packed with people, much more than before. After the performance of Wookie's band they opened the entrance for everyone and people were flowing in. It was easy to lose each other in the sea of people and Kyuhyun's stomach sank when he lost the sight of Sungmin for a moment. A second later warmth spread all over it again when he almost stumbled into his boss who stopped down the stairs and was looking straight up at him, waiting.

 

‘Be careful.’ Sungmin said when they were standing not even a foot away from each other. He grabbed his hand and entwined their fingers before pulling him out.

 

Kyuhyun couldn’t help a goofy smile from spreading on his face. Maybe Sungmin wasn’t comfortable with being clingy around people he didn’t know? Or maybe he was thinking that Kyuhyun wouldn’t like it?

 

When the warm, but cigarette smoke-free air of outside hit them they both took big breaths. Sungmin pulled them towards the less occupied part of the sidewalk, under a tree.

 

‘You okay?’ The composer asked, his hand still holding Kyuhyun's, his thumb pressing circles into the back of the younger’s hand in a soothing, but unconscious, manner.

 

Kyuhyun nodded. He was just staring into Sungmin’s face completely ignoring the voices that were telling him how creepy he was. Maybe the beers that he drank were affecting him or maybe it was the night. Or the fact that Sungmin was looking at him so softly.

 

‘Kyu, you’re drunk.’ Those perfectly shaped lips formed the words and Kyuhyun furrowed his brows trying to decipher what the other male insinuated. But he stopped thinking when a hand landed on his nape and his recently shortened hair. ‘I’ll get you a cab.’

 

Kyuhyun shook his head a little trying to clear his head. How did this happen? He could swear that he was thinking completely straight just a moment before and now everything in his head was swirling. He wasn’t smashed, quite far from it, but he was in the comfortable moment when everything seemed easy and world’s edges were smooth and there was nothing that could upset him.

 

He grinned and tilted his head before untangling his fingers from Sungmin’s and wrapping his long arms around the smaller man’s frame. He buried his face in his neck and sighed with content.

 

‘I’m so glad you came here.’ He mumbled not realizing entirely that he was slurring his words a little.

 

Silence answered him but instead of words Sungmin’s hand buried in his hair while the other wrapped tightly around him keeping him close. So, Sungmin still liked to hug him…

 

He didn’t know how long they were standing like that before his employer pushed him away slightly and looked at him.

 

‘C’mon, you’re going home.’

 

When he was already in the cab, head cushioned against the comfortable backseat and the drive paid for by Sungmin, Kyuhyun smiled and waved messily at the elder who was standing with his hands in his jeans’ pockets on the curb. There was a conflicted expression, something akin to longing, on his face but Kyuhyun dismissed it later as his mind playing tricks on him.