Storytelling

Love On The Fast Lane

Shin-ae lost herself in her own world, the music blasting from her headphones isolated her.

As usual, Shin-ae’s waiting for Donghae. But then she saw what…or rather who she didn’t expect to show up.

Jonghyun pulled up in front of the waiting shed when he saw a very familiar face sitting on the bench.

“Hey Shin-ae. What are you doing here?” Jonghyun asked right away after his window went down.

“Uhm…I’m waiting for my ride. I commute going to the café sir.” Shin-ae informed him as she stood up and walked slightly closer to talk to him more properly.

“Oh then hop in. I’m on my way to the coffee shop.”

“It’s okay.” She tried to reject him out of shyness.

“I insist. It’s starting to become gloomy too.” Jonghyun extended his arm and opened the passenger door for Shin-ae. She was flustered but couldn’t reject him anymore, she is her boss after all.

 

Unknown to the two of them, one guy watched their interaction from across the street. Donghae witnessed the scene with his one of his eyebrows raised. He clicked his tongue in annoyance as he watched them drive away.

He’s not jealous, is he? ‘No!’ He screamed in his mind. He is just annoyed that Lee Jonghyun interfered with his life again and took away a part of his business, his income. That’s just that…even though it’s not like he solely relies on this as he does have a full time work

 

“As you’ve seen before, I commute with Lee Donghae. I ride behind him on his motorcycle and that’s where I always wait for him.” Shin-ae told her employer when he asked about details as to why she was waiting there.

“I see…” Jonghyun expressed. “I hope he treats you well enough, unlike the last time.”

“Would you fire me if I ask you why you two are in bad terms?” Shin-ae just had to ask. She couldn’t keep shut.

“I wouldn’t fire you…but I also wouldn’t tell you you.” Jonghyun answered back, taking a second to look at her then back at the road.

“For enemies, you two are similar.” She mumbled. Her eyes then wandered to the rear-view mirror and noticed a guitar resting on the backseat.

“You play?” Shin-ae asked, pointing towards the musical instrument behind them.

“Oh yeah, one of my passions too.” He replied with a smile then got into talking about his music.


Work that day went smooth like usual. Except that one customer that irked Shin-ae who asked to substitute all the ingredients of her drink to low fat or ‘organic’ ones so it wouldn’t fatten her up.

“Wish you just ordered water.” Amber nudged Shin-ae who worked beside her on another order.

“You did not just say that.” Shin-ae gasped and looked at Amber with eyes wide open.

“What?! You were thinking it.” Amber stuck her tongue out to co-worker.

 

Jonghyun left the café earlier than usual because of family matters. Although Shin-ae didn’t think it was out of the ordinary, she was still told about the ‘rumor’ going around that Jonghyun is a ‘chaebol’ and his mom has been setting him up with women to be his potential wife.

 

 

Shin-ae started to bid goodbye to her colleagues after they locked up the coffee shop. She decided to send her parents a text message before starting to make her way. However, Shin-ae didn’t get far. Opposite from where she was standing was a face of a guy that she recognized. She squinted her eyes and focused her gaze to have a clearer look.

Donghae was standing with his back against his car when he felt that someone was staring at him. True enough, he saw the culprit as soon as he turned his head.  

“Are you stalking me?” Donghae shouted loud enough for Shin-ae to hear. She was only a few steps away and no one else was around.

“Is there a new pick up service I didn’t know about? Missed me?” Shin-ae retaliated.

“Don’t flatter yourself.” Donghae answered back. He was actually in the bar celebrating a birthday of a friend. The same bar that he thought Shin-ae worked in in the beginning.

“I hate to cut our conversation but I better get going.” Shin-ae started out sarcastically when she initiated to end their childish conversation before it gets too late.

“Wait.” Donghae walked after her. “I’ll bring you home, it’s already late.”

Shin-ae slowly turned around and looked at Donghae amusingly. “Awww…is this your caring side finally showing up?”

“Keep dreaming. I just don’t want you to cause any traffic or maybe you’ll rip off one my friends if they see you.”

The two continued to bicker but still left together anyway.


 

 – The next day –

 

“I’m hungry.” Donghae states as soon as Shin-ae hopped on the motorcycle. Yup, he didn’t want to have a repeat of what happened yesterday so he quickly ‘swept Shin-ae off her feet’ as soon as he spotter her.

He simply starts driving to where they can have breakfast without even consulting her. From the last time, he already knew that she’s always early for work and has enough time so he didn’t bother asking her.

A small smile appeared on his face when she didn’t attempt to argue, giving him an automatic win.

“You know we do serve food in our café.” Shin-ae stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

Donghae scoffed before saying. “Don’t make me lose my appetite.”

Shin-ae rolled her eyes at him and unconsciously placed her hands on him. She has gotten used to putting her arms around Donghae’s waist while they’re on the road. As they say, it’s better be safe than sorry.

 

“Eunhyuk told me that you were asking him about Jonghyun and I.” Donghae brought up after the two ordered.

“Well I had to try. If you wouldn’t tell me then I had to bug someone.” Shin-ae admitted that she really is intrigued.

“You’ll really let your curiosity kill you?”

“Come on, just tell me. Even that other Lee wouldn’t share. His face changes upon hearing your name.” Shin-ae shared, disclosing that Jonghyun still has bad feelings against Donghae.

“I feel the same.”

“So relieve yourself from stress and share the burden with me.” She attempted to convince him with her sweet tone.

“What will I gain if I tell you?” Donghae demanded as he looked at her indifferently.

“Hmmm...peace and quiet? At least I’ll stop pestering you about it.”

“Well that is true. But it isn’t really a type of discussion you discuss over breakfast. I think I need to be convinced more. How about a deal that you’ll always render my services in the morning?” Donghae slyly started with his plan.

“But I already do that.”

“Not all the time. How did you go to work yesterday?” Donghae didn’t mean to sound like a questioning, possessive boyfriend but he did.

“Awww…you missed me that much? Did you get jealous?” She . She reached out to poke his cheeks when he got hold of her wrist.

“I just don’t like losing money.” He stuck to his point that he is serious about his money.

Shin-ae let out a scoff, finding his ‘greedy’ mindset unbelievable.

“So stingy. Alright, I promise to finance your mornings. Happy now?”

“You’ll also pay for my meal.”

“But you ordered a breakfast steak!” She grumbled, implying that he ordered one of the expensive dishes in the restaurant. Is the mystery worth it?

“Fine Mr. Cheapskate. So tell me truthfully, what happened?” She asked earnestly.
“Let’s just say military changed me.” Donghae still tried to keep his story like a riddle despite their deal.
“Why? Did the other soldiers hit on you or literally hit you or something? And where does Jonghyun fit in that?” She threw him more questions until she finally got him to crack.
“The woman I loved cheated on me for over a year while I kept her as my inspiration during my enlistment. If you’re smart, then you can guess what role Jonghyun played.” Donghae divulged his bitter memory.

Donghae got the news after he was discharged. He already thought something was fishy when his girlfriend didn’t show up to pick him up. Some of his friends told him about the new guy they’ve been seeing with her supposed girlfriend but he couldn’t believe it. She couldn’t do that to him. They talked about her waiting for him and getting engaged after he gets out. It was impossible to happen…but alas, it did. Everything came crashing down for Donghae when he confirmed the rumors and saw his supposed loved one with another guy, Lee Jonghyun, who in reality was also a victim.

“What a .” Shin-ae couldn’t help but react that way.

The two Lee’s became rivals when they found out that the same girl has been playing with their feelings. It never occurred to Jonghyun that she was already involved with someone before he came in the picture.  The two men were furious when they found out that she had them wrapped around her finger.

“So why are you mad at him?” Shin-ae asked with a confused expression. She still couldn’t get it.
“Didn’t you hear a word I just said?” Donghae looked at her with furrowed eyebrows.
“I listened but I don’t understand. It’s her fault. She played you both, who knows maybe she had more guys on the side but you two shouldn’t be ‘rivals’. It’s not like he knew beforehand and continued to court her.” Shin-ae remarked seriously.

“Well he looks like the shady type.” He countered.

“Hey, he’s nothing but a gentleman from what I can see.” Shin-ae defended Jonghyun who she felt was being judged wrongly by Donghae.

“Maybe he has motives.”

“You’re really not giving up are you? You just really have something to say against him.” Shin-ae shook her head in disapproval.

“I think I have the right to do so.” Donghae replied, his tone starting to get cold.

“No, you don’t. If only you see the bigger picture.” She gave unsolicited advice that Donghae did not appreciate.

“I’m not here for some counseling. I just told you my story because you begged and now that you know, we can drop the conversation.” Donghae retorted before stabbing his teak.