Coincidences

Love On The Fast Lane

 

“Oh Min Ah unnie, what made you call?” Shin-ae was surprised that her sister called so suddenly.

“Well Hyunwoo will have his first soccer match tomorrow. As usual, he wants to show off, especially to his favorite aunt. It will be great if you can also bring us coffee from that café of yours.”

Shin-ae laughed at her older sister’s request but had no problems with saying ‘Yes’ since she missed the busy couple, most especially that cute nephew of hers. Lucky for Shin-ae that the game coincided with her day off from the café but it seems like she’ll still have to drop by at her workplace to buy drinks to bring.

After a few minutes, Mrs. Shim called for her daughter to come out from her room.

“Shin-ae, my beautiful daughter. I cooked you your favorite for dinner.” Shin-ae was surprised to see the table already set with her favorite dish. Her mom also had a smile on her face…a smile that Shin-ae knew pretty well.

“Omma, what’s going on?”

“What do you mean? Can’t I just spoil my baby girl? I also got your car washed so maybe we can try to convince your dad that you can renew your license and drive again, after you prove to us that you’re good enough to abide by the law.”

“First the food and now my car? Okay mom, what is this really about?” She suspiciously narrowed her eyes at her mother dear who finally cracked with a grin.

“Oh alright, you caught me. You see, my pretty girl, I have a friend who wants to help her son find a great girlfriend, the one that he can be in a stable relationship with and maybe settle down with, who knows. Anyway, I merely brought up that you’re single and well…let’s just say she almost begged me to arrange a date for you and her son.” Mrs. Shim informed her daughter like what she just did is no big deal.

“Omma! You set me up for a blind date??”

“Relax, it’s just a date, it doesn’t even have to be a romantic dinner one, just a casual lunch date would do. The guy has had issues with trusting women and I know you can lighten up his perspective in love and life. He’s handsome and is an entrepreneur.” She added more details just to entice Shin-ae more.

“Oh My God.” Shin-ae slumped down her chair and plopped the side of her face against on the table. She knew it would be a lost case.

“Don’t be so dramatic, he just might be the one you are looking for. Oh and did I mention it’s for tomorrow?”

“What?!” That made Shin-ae snap her head. “Mom, I’m going to Hyunwoo’s soccer game tomorrow.”

“Perfect! You can bring him there.” It’s like fate was on Mrs. Shim’s side.

“I don’t want to, it’s practically giving him a big mixed signal since I’ll be already introducing him to family. I’m only going to agree if you reschedule it and if you convince dad to start letting me drive again.” Shin-ae tried to compromise because a ‘No’ would not cut it for her mom.

“Yes to rescheduling but unsure about dad. I will, however make sure he agrees to sit on the passenger seat and assess your driving skills.”

“Fine. I guess that’s the best deal I can have for now.” It would be great if can have her car back soon. Shin-ae's even considering checking scooter's out just so she can start going around at  a more comfortable pace.

“Then it’s settled. Now eat before it gets cold.” Mrs. Shim happily started eating while Shin-ae poked on her rice before getting told off.

 

– The Next Day –

“Wow, is this how much you love the café? You’ll even come here even though it’s your holiday?”

“Excuse me, I’m a paying customer today.” Shin-ae stuck her tongue out at her co-worker before giving her order.

“The boss is also here, you’re going to say hello?”

“Well one day of not seeing me won’t kill him.” She joked as she paid for the drinks, thank goodness for her employee discount.

“I heard he isn’t supposed to be here and should be at one of those dates again but maybe he canceled or got rejected.”

“Maybe you girls should stop speculating so rumors would stop. You know one of these you’ll get caught talking about him behind his back.” Shin-ae gave a friendly advice but as expected they didn’t listen.

 

 

“Hey little boy! You look so cute in your gear!” Shin-ae received a tight hug from her adorable and hyper nephew as soon as she arrived at the bleachers of the field.

She passed the drinks to her brother-in-law and sister while listening to Hyunwoo’s excited game plan.

“Omma and Appa had a flat tire on the way from work so they can’t attend the game, they’ll just follow later for our mini after game party.” Mina relayed the news to her sister before she even gets to ask,

“I think your coach is calling for you now.” Min-ah pointed to the waving man not too far from them.

“Good luck!” She shouted once more to cheer him on before he finally approached his coach, whose backside seemed somewhat familiar to Shin-ae.

“He couldn’t sleep out of excitement. He’s been practicing so hard.” Min-ah got Shin-ae’s attention to return back to them before she could see the coach turn around.

The game started and the kids started running around the field with a mixture of serious and happy expression on their faces.

While cheering, Shin-ae started taking photos of her nephew who looked like he was on a high while playing.

“Did you notice how cute the coach is?”

“Unnie! You’re married.” Shin-ae stated just in case her in-law forgot that fact.

“Not for me silly, for you.” Min-ah then held Shin-ae by the shoulder and turned her to face the direction where the soccer trainer is. “Zoom in on his face.”

“Oh my Gosh. I know that guy.” Shin-ae stated with a shocked expression on her face. She then recalled what Donghae told her about his part-time job when she asked about it before.

From there on, Shin-ae tried to avoid being seen by Donghae. You can say that she became a narcissist, thinking that Donghae would spot her in the big crowd and call her out.

The game came to an end on a happy note with Hyunwoo’s team winning. Although they were celebrating, Shin-ae tried to keep her place in the bench but of course the players wouldn’t come to them just yet. That is why her sister pulled a hesitant Shin-ae towards the field where Hyunwoo and the rest of his teammates were…including the soccer coach Lee Donghae.

Hyunwoo jumped into his mother’s arms with a big smile on his face as everyone surrounded him and told him about how proud they are.

Shin-ae was also close enough to see how Donghae interacted with the other kids, giving them high-fives, playfully messing with their hair, fixing their shoelaces, rubbing off dirt and the like. He looked genuinely happy and adored these young boys.

“I guess congratulations are in order.” Shin-ae said when after she decided to walk up to Donghae to surprise him. Better that she gets to catch him off guard than the other way around.

 Donghae looked behind him to smile and was pleasantly surprised to see Shin-ae trying so hard to look nonchalantly at him.

“What are you doing here? Stalking me this time?” He raised his eyebrow at her sudden appearance at his game.

“For your information, you’re training my nephew, Hyunwoo.”

“With how polite and good looking he is, I didn’t think you two would be related.”

She rolled her eyes at him before turning around to go back to her family. Unfortunately for her, the heel of her shoe sunk on the moist soil. She tried to remain calm as she tried to coolly pull her foot up but it just stayed stuck. She also didn’t want to embarrass herself in front of Donghae who she could still see from the corner of her eyes.

Shin-ae finally put more force into pulling her heel up but then lost her balance and fell.

Although Donghae came late to her rescue, he extended his hand to help her but still nagged at her “Who wears heels to a soccer game? Let alone at a field?”

Shin-ae couldn’t say anything back so she just put her hand on his to get herself back up.

“OW!” Shin-ae felt a jolt of pain shoot up at her ankle and almost tripped if it wasn’t for Donghae supporting her. “Please don’t let this be a sprain.” She muttered.

Her eyes wandered as she looked for her relatives but as the Gods would have it, they were nowhere to be seen. Apparently Min-ah thought that it would be a great idea to leave her sisteralone upon seeing her interacting with the cute coach.

“Medic!” Donghae shouted for the medical team on stand-by. “We need to get you seated on the bleachers so that they could get a better look.”

“Fine.” Shin-ae only got to hop twice when Donghae stopped her.

“You will get into more trouble if you think you’ll be able to get across this field with your heel still on.”

“How else can I get there then?” She asked with a flustered expression.

“It’s either you go bare feet or I carry you.”

“Uhm no thanks I’ll just–Hey! Wait!” Shin-ae flailed as she tried to get away from Donghae when he attempted to literally sweep her off her feet.

“You already caused a scene Shin-ae. Don’t make a bigger issue.” This time it was Donghae who was looked frustrated.

She let out a deep breath before conceding. “Can you just give me a piggyback instead of carrying me like what you did earlier?”

And without another word out from him, Donghae just simply got down on his knees, his arms ready to support her legs. Shin-ae shyly got on his back but Donghae quickly secured her body on him and walked steadily towards the medic team waiting for them.

 

The nurse on call confirmed that Shin-ae indeed got herself a sprained ankle.

“It isn’t that serious so the swelling should subside soon and you should be healed in less than a week. I already applied an ointment so don’t be surprised if you feel it heat up.” She informed them after she wrapped Shin-ae’s foot with a bandage.

The nurse left the two after they thanked them and paid for the medicine and gauze wrap used.

“I expected one of the players to get hurt not a bystander.” Donghae seriously said as he stared at her injury. Is that guilt she sees on his face?

“Awww…are you sad that I got hurt?” She .

“Me? I’m upset because…because you owe me money.” Donghae finally met her gaze and that once worried look on his face was replaced with a mischievous one. Yes, Donghae ‘had to’ pay for her medical fee because all she had with her was her credit card.

“I told you I’ll pay you back.” She replied with an irritated tone of voice.

“Anyway, I have my car with me. Where are you going?”

“Well my sister just texted me that they’re at the Karaoke place nearby but you don’t have to bring me there.”

“I wanted to know where you were going so I can go the opposite way. I think you attract bad luck.” Donghae responded in which earned him a shove on the shoulder.

“I’m not heartless you know. Come on.” Donghae once again went in front of her and bent down, ready to carry her again.

For some ‘dumb’ reason, Shin-ae felt a warm sensation on her cheeks and her heart slightly (as Shin-ae wants to point out just slightly) sped up.

 

Donghae carried her inside the establishment until she begged that he let her walk when they were near the noraebang room her family is in. She wouldn’t want her mom to see her in another man’s arm after she excitedly set her up for a date.

Everyone greeted the two with an anxious expression.

“So sorry for leaving you back there. I didn’t know that would happen.” Min-ah felt so sorry as her wishful thinking for her sister caused a big inconvenience.

“Thank you so much for taking care of her.” Shin-ae’s dad shook hands as he thanked Donghae before introducing him to the rest of his family.

“Well…I think he has to go now.” Shin-ae tried to reason out but no one was listening to her. She thought that things were getting awkward with how her family was acting with Donghae. They were extremely nice and accommodating to him, as if they just didn’t meet him minutes ago. They insisted for him to stay with them and even managed to make (well more like force him) to sing.

While the rest clapped, a stunned Shin-ae just stared at him. Donghae’s voice is so impressive and she didn’t expect him to sing so well even though he already told her that he’s a wedding singer.

Donghae thought he only wanted to stay a bit to be polite and to annoy Shin-ae more with how well he was getting along with her family but it turned out to be a great time for him as well. He didn't even notice the hours that went by because he was actually having fun with Shin-ae and not making fun of her.

 


So sorry for not updating for so long! Writers block T_T I had a hard time connecting the dots. Made it lengthy to make it up to you all, so I hope you all enjoyed this.

Your reactions really do motivate me so I appreciate them and wish to continuously read your thoughts :)