Slip of the tongue & misunderstandings

Love On The Fast Lane

Shin-ae stood up from the bench right after she saw Donghae park his Vespa in front of her. He stood up to hand over the helmet when he felt something was missing. “Oh no! I forgot to bring my wallet. My new license is in it.” Donghae became troubled after suddenly realizing that fact. He even double checked the pockets of his jeans and bag in under a minute.

“Do you just live nearby?”

“Yeah, less than ten minutes away from here.” Donghae informed her.

“Well I don’t want to be delayed and inconvenienced more if you to get in trouble if you ever get caught driving without a license. I still have time anyway so we can go back to your place to get it.” Shin-ae answered back, showing that she’s being considerate.

“You’re willing to go back with me, risking your time to be late?” Donghae asked surprised at how coolly she offered to go with him.

“Actually, I always arrive at work early, specifically forty minutes before I start so I always have extra time. I guess I’ve proven that it comes in handy during times like these. So stop stalling and let’s go to your place now.” Shin-ae sounded like she was commanding Donghae. She settled herself on the backseat and patted the space in front, signaling to Donghae to sit his down and drive.

“Eager to know where I live so you can stalk me?” Despite her kindness, Donghae teased Shin-ae yet again. He always gets a kick out of it.

“No it’s called being nice, you should try it sometime.” She sniggered as she lightly hit Donghae’s head with the sturdy helmet she’s wearing.

 

Donghae parked his motorcycle at the covered parking lot beside his apartment. He stepped out and stared at Shin-ae weirdly as she just stayed put on the motorcycle with a confused expression on her face.

“I’m not heartless. It’s too hot out here. Come with me inside.” Donghae invited Shin-ae to go with him since she didn’t know whether she would just stay out or what.

Since this is Donghae’s ‘territory’ Shin-ae became meek and followed him like a little lost kid.

“Hey, you can look pretty when we're not fighting.” Donghae commented out of nowhere. Slip of  the tongue?
“Uhm...Thanks?” Shin-ae didn’t know if that truly is a compliment or if he’s teasing her again.

“But let me make it clear, I mean that you can look somewhat pretty decent. So I guess I won’t be embarrassed to be seen with you in this building.” Donghae continued, although he spoke rather quickly to ‘correct’ himself. Shin-ae huffed out her sudden annoyance, she knew it would be too good...or well he was acting too nice to be true.

Donghae opened the door and stood aside to let Shin-ae enter, his body language seemed to say that he’s welcoming her in his humble abode.

“Thank God you’re back already! I’ve been so bored.” Eunhyuk rushed towards his best friend and enveloped him with a hug.

“Yah. I’ve been only out for half an hour. Down boy.” Donghae patted his back before introducing him to the flustered girl. “This is my housemate and best friend, Eunhyuk.”
“Oh…” She expressed as if she finally figured something out. Her instincts alerted her something, more than just best friends perhaps? “Hello, I’m Shim Shin-ae” She introduced herself before shaking hands with Eunhyuk.

After getting them acquainted, Donghae left the two to talk for a bit and went to his room to look for what he needed.

“Wow, you work under Jonghyun? And then you’re also connected with Donghae? That’s interesting.” Eunhyuk chuckled, pretty amused at how another girl became a bridge for the two foes again.  What a coincidence.

“Oh so you know about it too? Donghae won’t share with me what happened with them, can you tell me why? It can be our own little secret, I won’t say a word.” Shin-ae asked hoping Eunhyuk would be nice and gullible enough to tell her.

“Well…” Eunhyuk placed his hand under his chin, he looked like he was thinking about it, considering the pros and cons…oh well what the hell.

“Actually –” Eunhyuk started but got cut off when Donghae came back to the room at the wrong time.

“Got it. Let’s go.”  

Shin-ae pouted and inwardly groaned, she thought she’d finally know the reason behind Donghae and Jonghyun’s feud.

“Nice meeting you. Maybe you can continue your story next time?” Shin-ae quickly bowed to Eunhyuk and said goodbye.

“Visit us again Shin-ae or we’ll drop by your café some time.” Eunhyuk said as he walked the two out. Almost clinging on to the two of them.

“Yeah right! There’s no way we’re going there. They just might poison us. OWWW!” Shin-ae hit Donghae with her purse as soon as he accused them of doing such thing. Eunhyuk laughed at Donghae’s pain and misery.

“I like your friend! We’ll definitely meet again Shin-ae. Miss you already Hae!” Eunhyuk shouted in the hallway while Donghae just waved at him.

 

“I get it now.” Shin-ae made a brief remark when it was just the two of them in the elevator.

“What?” Donghae asked puzzled with her sudden statement.

“I kind of understand now why you always pick on me. Maybe it’s why you hate women. Did someone discriminate you about your preference or relationship or something?” She tried to evaluate what she observed earlier.

“Seriously Shin-ae, what the hell are you talking about?” He became more baffled as she continued on with talking about something he doesn’t get.

“You know…you two. You and Eunyuk.” She hinted. “It’s okay. I swear I’m not judging you.” Shin-ae asserted positively.

Donghae simply raised his eyebrow at her and looked at her strangely

“Eunhyuk and you look cute together. How long have you been with him? Did you originally start out as roommates or were you already dating before moving in together?” She asked so casually as if she was just asking about the weather.

“Wait…hold on hold on. What?!!” Donghae’s eyes widened when he finally put the pieces together. “Oh my God! Did you just assume we are a gay couple?!!” He asked with a sharp tone.

“What?? There’s nothing wrong with that.” Shin-ae couldn’t understand why he was reacting that way.

“With being gay? I agree, there is nothing wrong with that. But assuming and jumping to conclusions, now that is how you get yourself in trouble. I am very much straight thank you. And about teasing you? I just don't like you...or well I like annoying you that’s why I do what I do and not because I’m gay.” Donghae ‘straightened’ things out, clearing what she misunderstood back there.

“Okay okay. Whatever you say. Don’t want you to get sulky or aggressive on the road again.” She mumbled, sounding unconvinced.

“Are you challenging me to prove myself?” He exclaimed. He had an unreadable expression on his face.

“I’m just saying…” She trailed and didn’t finish what she said as she shook her head to dismiss her thoughts and to end their topic.

“Maybe you really need to get to work now to have your caffeine fix, you’re starting to become delusional.” He insinuated, and the cycle went on again with the two ‘playfully’ insulting each other.


 

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Did it make you laugh or smile? ;) Wish it did