What to do?

Love On The Fast Lane

Both Donghae and Shin-ae flew off the scooter upon collision. Fortunately the side of the road they were next to was a grassy area so they landed there, but the impact was still too strong. Donghae groaned as he felt pain radiate all over his body. Good thing for him though is that he’s wearing the helmet, which means that it isn’t the same case for Shin-ae. His brain suddenly went on over drive when he remembered Shin-ae. He raised his hands to remove the gear that protected his head.

“Don’t move. We already called for help.” One of the bystanders advised Donghae and helped him gently take his helmet off.

“Shin-ae…the woman with me. Where is she?” Donghae weakly asked.  Everything hurt, even talking and breathing took a toll on him yet he still managed to ask about her. He didn’t even wonder about his precious Vespa or which part of his body was injured, he only wanted to know if she’s alright.

“She landed a few feet away from you and looks like she’s unconscious. She wasn’t wearing a helmet so…I don’t know. I really can’t say. The paramedics will be here soon.”

Donghae shut his eyes closed, he was in pain and it was more than just physical.

‘How could this happen? It would’ve been okay if it was only me who got hurt. Please, save her from any danger.’ That was Donghae’s last thoughts before passing out.

 

The two were rushed to the nearest hospital and were immediately treated in the emergency room. The helmet on Donghae’s head really protected him from any major head injuries, he suffered from a fractured rib and a few cut on the arms and bruises on his legs. Shin-ae on the other hand had it worse. Her split second decision to take her helmet off earned her a terrible head injury, the doctors found a slight crack on her skull, a broken rib and cuts and bruises around her body. They had to stitch her head and then the doctors would just have to wait for her to wake up to see if she has any brain damage.

 

Initial results showed that Donghae’s motor still had some faulty wiring that the mechanics weren’t able to fix properly. Though that was only a minor reason of the accident, the person at fault is not actually Donghae but the speeding sedan who tried to overtake the car ahead of him and did not see the stoplight change…that’s when everything happened. Those in the sedan only had minor injuries.

 

 

Jonghyun visited Shin-ae as soon as he was alerted about the accident. He rushed to her parents' side and even stayed overnight to watch her after her surgery. He talked to her and even joked with her that maybe this is her way of avoiding their second date. He talked to her attending physician about her situation but the doctors said it may be too soon to tell whether she’ll wake up perfectly or not, although scans showed that there isn’t anything major to watch out for, the brain is still tricky to fully figure out when the patient is conscious. The Shim’s appreciated Jonghyun’s gestures and gave him more plus points as their daughter’s suitor. Her parents did not blame Donghae for the accident, in fact they even checked up on him. However, they do want to find out why she wasn’t wearing helmet while he did.

The two had the same doctor, Moon Joo Won. He advised them to be prepared for anything, whether for her not to wake up so soon or if she suffers from some minor memory loss. As of now, they are still monitoring her brain activity and if there are chances of her suffering from bleeding in the surrounding tissue.

 


Donghae woke up when he felt the sun hitting his face. It’s his second day in the hospital but his body still felt so sore and weak. He had strict orders not to get up on his own or walk too long so he couldn’t go to Shin-ae’s room yet but he did ask for updates. He was bothered to know that she’s still recovering on a slower pace compared to him.

He narrowed his eyes to focus on the girl who was fixing the curtains. Her backside faced him so he couldn’t identify who it was.

Donghae was shocked when she did finally turn around…he never expected to see her again.

“What are you doing here?” Donghae asked so softly.

“Oh oppa, you’re up. I almost had a heart attack when I heard you were in an accident.” Nana strode towards his side and placed her palm over his cheek.
“Why are you here?” Donghae asked with a clearer voice and took her hand off of him. He really doesn’t understand why she suddenly showed up.
“I guess you’re still mad at me. That phone call I received about your accident made me realize how much I still care about you Donghae. I thought I lost you.”
“You did lose me a long time ago. Don’t you remember that fact?” Donghae had more attitude in his tone of voice. Remembering the past still irked him.

“I know I did such a stupid mistake by leaving you but I’m here now, can’t we leave it all in the past? Can’t we try again?” She placed her hand over his hand, her eyes bore into his .
Donghae kept still and quiet as he looked at the hand that she placed over his. He admits he still has her as his weakness but does it mean that she still holds a small piece of his heart?

He opened his mouth, ready to say something but then his door opened and Eunhyuk came in, followed by Donghae’s doctor to check up on him. The nurse asked the two visitors to step out for a bit, for Donghae it’s a good things because it bought him some time.

“What are you doing here Nana?!” Eunhyuk questioned her motives, obviously not welcoming her re-appearance.

“You’re mad at me too?” She asked meekly, as if she couldn’t understand why he would be mad at her.

“You’re not needed here.” Eunhyuk scoffed, not buying the innocent act. He’s just worried about his best friend, he can be vulnerable at times and seeing that Nana is showing that she’s concern of him now, he knows Donghae’s feelings just might waiver.

“Can’t you see oppa’s condition? He needs to be taken care of.”

“He has me and his family to do that. Besides, the girl he likes is just in the other room.”

“Whoever she is, I don’t care. I won’t leave until Donghae tells me to.” Nana sternly said before walking back to the room. This is the last thing they needed, more drama.

“Well it seems that you’re healing just perfectly Mr. Lee. You can probably be discharged in two days and continue resting at home. You still can’t do extraneous activities and you have to let someone drive for you. No more motorcycles for the meantime.” The doctor advised and then ordered the nurses to adjust his medicine.

Nana’s phone alarm blasted through the room, causing everyone to narrow their eyes at her.

“I’m sorry. I have to go to work now. I’ll visit you again Donghae.” Nana didn’t even give Donghae time to answer back before giving him a quick peck on the lips and then rushed to go out of the room.

Eunhyuk sighed and sat beside his friend after everyone left the room.

“What are we going to do?” Eunhyuk asked Donghae seriously.

“Well you heard what the doctor had to say.”

“No, what I meant is, what are we going to do with Nana?” Eunhyuk reiterated his question, this time more specific.

“I don’t know.” Donghae threw his head back and let out a sigh.

“Donghae, you can’t fall for her tricks again. You have to tell her off. Tell them to block her from visiting you again. Better yet –” Eunhyuk started giving out suggestions when Donghae cut him.

“I said I don’t know Eunhyuk.” Donghae answered back, obviously irritated.

“Okay then. It’s up to you if you want to be a blind idiot again. I’m going to visit Shin-ae now, just in case you forgot, she's the girl that you sort of have feelings for whether you admit it or not. She already woke up by the way, I hope she doesn’t remember you.” Eunhyuk did not want to scold his friend who’s lying in the hospital bed but he’s not going to sugarcoat anything for his benefit.

 

 

Because of the medicine, Donghae fell asleep again after his family visited him. He only woke up after a few hours when he started overhearing a conversation.

He woke up because of the murmurs of two nurses who were checking his stats for their report.

“Do you think the parents or the woman herself will press charges?” One of the nurses started.

“Well it depends if she’s just his passenger or if they’re more than just that. From the looks of it, they can be a couple. Besides what can they sue him for?”

“Well he’s liable because the passenger of his motor-taxi wasn’t wearing a helmet, that alone is already a violation. Then they got into an accident, she’s suffering more because she didn’t have a head gear.”

Donghae pretended to remain asleep to continue to listen to them until the two left the room. Their words lingered in his head. A part of the accident is his fault. If only he stopped to get his helmet back, then she wouldn’t have taken hers off. The burden on his shoulders just got heavier, what an unpleasant feeling.

Donghae slowly got up and checked outside his room. When he saw that the coast is clear, he walked to Shin-ae’s room, which is conveniently just beside his and went inside.

Donghae approached her until he was right beside her bed. He stared at her face and just felt so guilty for the trouble he caused. He couldn’t look away from her, his fingertips gently traced the stitches on her head.

“I’m so sorry Shin-ae. I’ll try to make it up to you if you let me.” Donghae whispered after letting out another deep sigh.

Donghae saw her phone on the bedside table light up as a new message came in. He unconsciously smiled when he saw her phone’s screen saver was a photo of a pink vespa. Another sound was made by the phone and that when Shin-ae stirred, showing signs that she’s about to wake up so Donghae quickly and quietly made his way out of the door.


 

I just had to use Moon Joo Won from A Good Doctor! Love that drama <3 

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. And yes, for some random reason I used Nana as the ex-girlfriend. haha