Progress

Love On The Fast Lane

 

 

Donghae and Shin-ae unofficially became an inseparable pair in the morning. He’d always be there when she waited for a ride and she learned to stop fighting his offered service because she honestly needed him for transportation. Although there were two times that she almost escaped him by hiring some other motor-taxis but they both turned to be a bad experience, one was trying to rip her off by charging more and the other one…well let’s just say he wanted her to ride not only his motorcycle afterwards, if you know what I mean. That memory still gives her the shivers thus she’s decided to stick with Donghae, at least she knows he is decent and can be somewhat trusted, he may be irritating but not completely a jerk.

It kind of became a routine actually: pick up here, bicker on the way, drop off there.

Shin-ae is ‘learning the art’ of ignoring him, she’s even researched on how to meditate while commuting just so she can try to keep her peace while riding on the motorcycle behind Donghae.

Donghae on the other hand picked up the skill of teasing her by scaring her with some of his motor tricks. If Shin-ae was flammable, then Donghae would be that spark of fire that would trigger her to explode.

 

 

Shin-ae and Donghae stared ahead at the road. Both were frustrated and annoyed at the traffic build up caused by a bus that broke down, occupying almost two lanes during rush hour.

“What is it that you do that makes us always cross paths so early in the morning?” Shin-ae finally decided to start some small talk since boredom got to her.

“So you’ve finally voiced out your interest in me huh.” Donghae smirked as he looked at her through the side-mirror.

Shin-ae looked weirdly at Donghae like he just said something gross before replying “Oh please. Forget that I asked.”

Donghae let out a hearty chuckle before giving out a more proper response. “I teach soccer to kids in the morning and then I coach teams of teens when there are games. I’m also a part time wedding singer, but that’s usually at night or late afternoon.” Donghae coolly informed her.

“Oh that’s cool.” She genuinely expressed, she didn’t expect him to be in those line of work because he seemed…well he looked like an employee (a gorgeous one at that) that wouldn’t actually do some serious work and maybe just laze around before running off from his duties with his motorcycle.

“I bet I’m cooler than your boss, Lee Jonghyun.”

“Hey, he’s a nice guy. He seems established and happy with his coffee shop business. But now that you mentioned him, how do you two know each other? And why does it seem like you have some kind of tension?” She tried to push her luck since Donghae was already giving out facts about him.

“Long story.” He answered curtly before revving up the engine as their lane was finally cleared.

“Then make it short.” She answered back when they were already on the move.

“Even if it’s a summary or not, what makes you think I’d tell you?”

“You always make it hard for me to stay civil and converse pleasantly with you. Being stuck with you even just for minutes in the morning makes it hard for me to internalize a ‘good morning’ greeting.” She argued back, his words often cause her to roll her eyes so early in the morning.

He let out a chuckle “I sense that I give you balance in your life, you’re welcome. I’ll think of a way that you can pay me back some time.”

“Why do I even bother trying? Traffic noise is better than your voice.”

“Well you have no other choice.” He teased as he turned his head to look at her before having her hands press against his cheeks and forced him to face forward.

“Oh My God Donghae! Focus on driving!” She scolded him with a panicked voice, unconsciously keeping her soft hands firmly on his face longer than she intended to, just to make sure he keeps his head in place. And let’s just say Donghae’s not complaining either.

 

 

Shin-ae loved to observe the people in her workplace, she liked studying people. The café was yet again filled with students studying, yuppies mingling, businessmen on a meeting, friends simply hanging out, strangers socializing and some who are just on the go or want to be alone.

Shin-ae’s almost getting used to everything, from the measurements to the equipment’s, to the orders and what to suggest based on a customer’s mood or wants.

“Wow. That’s amazing!” Shin-ae popped up from behind Jonghyun as she saw how intricate and pretty the latte art he’s making. His hands were steady, his gaze serious and his art was really something that would give their coffee that extra oomph, another reason why people keep coming back for more.

“I’ll teach you some simple tricks after work.” Her compliments made Jonghyun end his design with a proud smile.

“Really?? Later?” She asked excitedly as she put the mug he just handed over on a tray.

“Not so fast. Once you’ve memorized all there is to do around here and make coffee by heart, and then I will let you add more beauty to our drinks, not only with the taste but so it will also be visually pleasing.” He offered to personally teach her.

“That sounds like a challenge and I’m up for it. I’ll hold you on to that.” She replied with a determined look in her eyes before prancing behind the counter to help a kid trying to reach out for the straws.

‘And I wish you would’ Jonghyun thought before even his mind could register the feelings he got from that wishful thinking.

 


 

Short update. Just to distract myself from reality