Change

Love On The Fast Lane

“So…I’m thinking of opening up a taco restaurant.” Donghae suddenly brought up right after parking his car at the mall.

“Are you serious? That sounds so random.” Shin-ae replied with a chuckle. Yup, the two decided to go on a movie date after Shin-ae’s shift at the cafe ended. Things have been better since that last incident a.k.a the 'Nana' scandal. She didn't show up again and everything went back to normal.

“I think it’s unique, maybe that’s why it seems random.” Donghae answered back as he closed the door for her.

They walked inside the mall and went straight to the cinemas. After deciding which movie to watch, Donghae insisted that he pays for the tickets.

“Well I think it’s only fair that I buy the snack and drinks since you already bought the movie tickets. I don’t like it when girls feel like they deserve to always be treated by guys just because. So spoiled.” She ranted a bit, determined not to take a no for an answer.

“Well that won’t for us since in our relationship…” Donghae drawled in slight embarrassment as he realized how that line sounded like.

“What is our relationship?” She asked with an amused tone. Recently their words keep being jumbled up and they end up having these kinds of conversations.

“A…An unusual stressful one.” Donghae countered in which he received a strong elbow nudge from Shin-ae.

“Not to mention an abusive type.”  Donghae added as he rubbed his side. Shin-ae made a move to hit his arm but Donghae dodged it and was saved by the bell…or rather the ring of his phone.

“That’s my cue to leave.” Donghae said after looking at his phone.

“Where are you going?”

“Gotta talk to Eunhyuk about something. You know, although I like you being clingy, I need to have a bit of privacy too. You know some ‘me’ time.” Donghae .

“But the movie is about to start.”

“We still have fifteen minutes left. You can pick all the food that you want to eat inside and I’ll be back before you know it. Don’t miss me too much.” He playfully gave a flying kiss before finding a quiet spot to be able to talk to on the phone.

“That guy…so unbelievable.” She mumbled those words with a small smile on her face. She bit her lower lip to refrain from grinning. Yup, she caught that invisible flying kiss.

 

Donghae and Shin-ae walked around the mall after the movie ended. They were thinking of what to do next when suddenly a girl came up to hug Donghae.

“Donghae! Long time no see! Glad to finally see you back on your feet.”

“Eun Seo, funny bumping into you here.” Donghae smiled at her. Thy briefly talked about his recovery, momentarily forgetting the lady Donghae is with until Eun-Seo noticed her.

“Who’s this?”

“Oh this is Shin-ae.” Shin-ae smiled and the two girls shook hands as they were introduced to each other.

“You’re here on a date?” Eun Seo asked curiously.

“Uhm…we’re just friends.” He scratched the back of his neck as he answered a bit awkwardly. Although Shin-ae expected that answer, she also somewhat hoped that tonight’s ‘hang-out’ could be something more. After all she did daydream a bit earlier that this night was a date…but Donghae just clarified that  she got it all wrong.

“I see, then I guess it won’t be a problem if I remind you of that second date that we were supposed to have after our blind date. I told you I won’t let go of that rain check you used on me.” She went straight to the point, showing confidence and fearlessness in getting what she wants. “Still the same number?”

Donghae nodded slowly.

“Okay, let’s keep in touch this time. Hey, maybe if you’re free then we can go out tomorrow. I’ll call you. Nice meeting you Shin-ae.” She giggled before bidding goodbye to the two.

Shin-ae resumed walking when Donghae caught up with her.

“What’s with the upset face?” Donghae asked seriously when he distinguished the difference in Shin-ae’s expression now compared to earlier.

“How do you know this my upset face?” She raised one of her eyebrows at him.

“I just do. Now where do you want to go?”

“Home.” She replied quickly.

“What? But –”

“Your ‘friend’ is tired. Besides I don’t want to keep you up late when you have a date tomorrow.” She cut him off, her nerves getting the best of her.

“Are you jealous?” Donghae asked with a sly smile, ready to tease Shin-ae.

“Do you plan to irritate me more?” She sounded like she was going to take him on a serious argument.

“Hey, are you really mad at me now?” Donghae suddenly became flustered. ‘What’s with the change? Mood swings perhaps?’

“You know what? Maybe I’ll just take a cab home.” Shin-ae didn’t want to waste anymore time and walked ahead of Donghae but he meekly stopped her and told her that he’ll drop her home. Donghae becomes anxious and puzzled when Shin-ae acts this way. Why are girls so hard to read?

 

The drive back to Shin-ae’s house was quiet. Neither spoke and just let the music drown their thoughts.

Dongae kept stealing glances at her but she just stared either at the road ahead or to her side’s window.

Donghae let out a sigh when they finally arrived in front of her place.

“About earlier –”

“Thanks for the movie treat and for driving ‘chinggu’.” Shin-ae said in a monotone voice before exiting the vehicle.

‘But I’m an oppa though…’ Donghae thought before realizing something. ‘I think it’s time that I finally set things straight. We need to change.’


Happy 2014 everyone!!

Hope you all are having a great start of the year ^_^

So...maybe the next chapter will be the finale. 3