Way of showing he cares

Love On The Fast Lane

Shin-ae was watching t.v alone in her room when her attending physician went inside to check on her.

“I’m glad you already woke up but I’m kind of bummed that I wasn’t here when you did.” Joo Won went over her charts before looking up at Shin-ae when he didn’t hear her respond to him. “You don’t remember me do you?”

“My doctor?” Shin-ae asked with a confused tone. He did look familiar for some reason.

Her slow and startled reaction made him chuckle before giving her a clue about him. “How many moons are around you? The one over the earth and…”

“The one staring right at you.” She continued the little inside joke, her eyes widening as she acknowledged that she does remember. “Moon Joowon…Joowon Sunbae?! What are you doing here?"

”I’m your doctor.”

“Wow. I didn’t know you continued to study medicine. We lost touch when you left.” Shin-ae couldn’t believe that her ultimate crush from the past was the one who’s been taking care of her and she didn’t even recognize him. The pair of glasses he used to always wear is long gone and he has gotten much more handsome, his skin almost flawless compared to when they were younger.

The two were catching up and were in the middle of a hearty laugh when Donghae came in. He was already out of his hospital gown and was wearing clothes that Eunhyuk brought from their apartment.

He cleared his throat rather loudly, getting their attention.

“I guess I’m disturbing something between you two.” Donghae muttered before taking a seat on the chair near the door. He eyed the young doctor and then Shin-ae.

“Not at all…well…just a little Mr. Lee. But I can see that you are moving on your feet well, which is good. Just don’t overdo anything, okay?” Joowon turned around to talk to Shin-ae once more. “I’m happy that you’re showing signs of improvement Shin-ae. I’ll come back later.”

 

Donghae sat still and quiet even after Moon Joowon left. Shin-ae stared at him as well before finally breaking the ice.

“How are you?” She really did worry about him and how his recovery is going.

“Are you going to sue me?” Donghae didn’t mean to utter that line for his first words but his mouth and brain didn’t work together at the same time. He immediately regretted his question after seeing the flicker of hurt in Shin-ae’s eyes.

“Get out if that is all you are worried about.” She firmly stated. How could he even ask her that?

“I’m sorry Shin-ae. I –” He really did try to apologize sincerely but she cut him off.
“If only your guilt is keeping you here then you can go. It was an accident, I never blamed you. I don't need your pity. Just leave.”  Shin-ae blinked the tears away as she turned her head to face the window.

He may have taken responsibility but his brooding side seems to overpower his caring side. He unconsciously thought that he had to put up with the ‘mysterious image’ he’s been playing with, thinking it would keep Shin-ae interested but this time he really crossed that line.

Donghae looked at her one more time before walking out the door.

“You give up so easily…” Deep inside, Shin-ae gave him the benefit of the doubt. She wants to think that he just didn’t know what to say. Eunhyuk told her that he felt awful after he gave him the news about her condition being worse than him. Why hide that nice part of him? She’s guilty of thinking that his bad boy attitude had some charisma but she didn’t want him to think that she’ll put up with it forever. She wanted the Donghae that was sweet, caring and charming, the side she saw when he coached her nephew or when he interacted with her family.

 

Later that day Shin-ae woke up facing a beautiful bouquet of flowers on her bedside. The medicine knocked her out for a few hours but the sight she woke up to was so pretty.

‘I didn’t really mean what I said earlier. What I meant to ask was ‘Are you feeling better?’ but I got tongue tied and well…we both know what happened. If you’re not going to report me then I’m going to report myself…I’ll report myself as the idiot who made you sad. Sorry. Get better soon so you can nag me again.’ – Donghae

‘So he does have a soft heart after all.’ Shin-ae smiled as she smelled the flowers. Let’s just say that ninety percent of her has forgiven him, but it will still be different to hear those sweet, even bordering corny words straight from the man himself.

Shin-ae was grinning to herself as she started daydreaming when the door opened and in came a girl that she doesn’t know.

“Yes?” Shin-ae asked with an unsure smile. ‘Maybe she’s at the wrong room.’

“Are you the girl Donghae is seeing?” The accusing tone of the girl made her raise her eyebrow in an instant. She stood in the doorway, not even bothering to properly enter or close the door.

“Excuse me?”

“Stop associating yourself with Lee Donghae.” She enunciated every word clearly before emphasizing her next four words. “He is still mine.”

Shin-ae scoffed. Although they really weren’t more than anything, she, again didn’t know where they stood, felt the need to step up to the girl and somehow correct her and put her in her place.

“Who are you to talk to me like that?”

The girl smirked before opening , she was about to answer back when someone else answered for her.

“Im Nana, that’s enough. What the hell are you doing here?” Jonghyun turned her around, hearing just enough of their conversation to know that she was causing trouble…yet again.

“Jonghyun oppa. Even you’re here for her?” Nana mumbled, surprised of his appearance, just like how she shocked them with her comeback.

“Forget it, don’t answer my question and just get out. Don’t bother us again, we all know how much chaos you brought before.” Jonghyun immediately dismissed her. She wanted to argue and question why he and Donghae are surrounding this girl but his piercing gaze left her no choice but to leave.

“She’s Im Nana? The ex-girlfriend that played you and Donghae at the same time?” She asked with an incredulous tone. Now she had a face to put behind the name.

“Let’s not dwell on the past please. I forgot how much of a headache she is.” Jonghyun shook his head.

“How did she find me? And why was she threatening me?”

“She visited Donghae and well…word got around that you were with him at the time of the accident. She jumped to conclusions, or did she? One thing is certain, that girl is really unbelievable.” Eunhyuk popped up from behind Jonghyun to answer their questions. What’s with today and all these people popping out from nowhere.

“Where are all of you coming from?” She asked as she properly sat up from her bed.

“Ooohhh…better question, where did the flowers come from?” Eunhyuk asked and then looked at Jonghyun, expecting him to own up to it.

“I’ve brought flowers and balloons before but that particular one isn’t from me.” Jonghyun also narrowed his eyes at the bouquet. For some reason, Shin-ae started to panic and so she got the bouquet and held on to it.

“It’s just…just mine from no one special, okay?” Shin-ae had that tone and look in her face saying that she wanted to drop the subject.

Eunhyuk burst out in laughter which flustered Shin-ae. He waved his hand to the two of them, signaling them not to mind him which is impossible to do so since he was laughing so loud. Shin-ae could only guess that Eunhyuk figured out who really gave her the flowers.

“Oh that kid. I’m stepping out for a bit. This is just too funny and good but I’m going to keep it to myself.” Eunhyuk winked at her and walked backwards until he was out the door, even closing it as soon as he was out.

“Well that was weird.” Jonghyun commented as he finally took a seat beside Shin-ae.

“How are you though?” Shin-ae asked Jonghyun before he would ask again.

“I’m supposed to ask you that.”

“Well…you know after seeing your ex again. Donghae told me how the story goes and well…sorry to say this but she’s really a .” Shin-ae could not hold her tongue in. As if hearing from Donghae how she deceived the two of them wasn’t enough to give her a bad impression, the way she walked-in her room and just talked carelessly just fueled Shin-ae to hate on her more.

“I don’t have any feelings for her anymore if that’s what you’re asking. She’s still so immature and now more irritating. I can’t believe she’d disturb you, a patient, let alone create ruckus in a hospital.” Jonghyun let out a deep breath, as if exhaling every negative feeling out before looking back at Shin-ae with a smile. “Now enough about her. I brought you food.”

“Aww…thanks. You didn’t have to.” Shin-ae beamed at the sight of the delicious looking food packed in the containers.

“I wanted to, consider it as our second date, if that’s okay?” Jonghyun kept that smile on his face as he arranged the food on the bed table. “Everyone in the café misses you.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, especially me.” Jonghyun gave her a sheepish smile. “Do you mind putting your flowers aside first so we can eat?”

“Oh right, sorry.” Shin-ae blushed as she realized she was still holding on to the bouquet Donghae gave. What is with her?

Jonghyun helped her put it on the table but he caught a glimpse of the name on the note card. Is it already too late for this second date?