Cancelled date for someone's birthday

Love On The Fast Lane

Jonghyun lived up to his word, he did not act out of the norm when he and Shin-ae crossed paths in the café. They interacted like before but still didn’t escape the teasing looks the other baristas gave them. Yes, they found out because…well that’s just what they do, gossip besides working. Shin-ae is actually curious where they get all their information from.

Jonghyun assured everyone that his personal life won’t affect the way he runs things so Shin-ae won’t be given any special treatment.

 

Jonghyun is a man who doesn’t waste time and already asked Shin-ae to go out with him again on her next day off…lucky for him she obliged.

Not only is there a progress with her relationship with Jonghyun, but with Donghae too. Instead of just waiting for him at the usual bench stop in the morning, now she just contacts him about the time and if he’s available to pick her up. He’s like her personal chauffer. She’s even surprised that he doesn’t complain too much, unless when she wakes him up from his sleep.

 

“That's my stop for today.” Shin-ae pointed to Donghae as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

“You already missed it. Just stop here.” Shin-ae looked at Donghae when he didn’t respond nor make a move to halt his car. “Hey! Are you even listening to me?? Can you hear me?!” She finally hits him on the arm.

“Yah, don’t hit me or we can get into an accident.” Donghae answered back but didn’t even look at Shin-ae and continued to drive past her destination. She continued to nag him about being kidnapped until fifteen minutes later, when Donghae finally stopped driving.

“Why the hell did you do that?! Now I'm late for my date. Thanks a lot. Don't expect me to pay you.” Shin-ae glared at Donghae before getting her phone out from her bag. “I hope he understands my apology.” she got her phone and sent an apologetic text message to Jonghyun. She just made up an excuse that sounded legit as to why she won’t be able to make it. “I don’t think a message is enough.” Shin-ae was about to call Jonghyun when Donghae snatched her phone away.

“What is your problem?!” She hit him again, this time harder of frustration and irritation.

“It’s my birthday.” He revealed with an apathetic expression.

“Oh…it is?” She asked taken aback.

“Yeah, my family is back at my hometown and Eunhyuk is still working.” He disclosed information that made Shin-ae wonder, how is it relevant to her?

“So naturally, you thought of spending your birthday with me?” She asked skeptically, still very confused as to why he was telling her those stuff and mainly why he’s spending his birthday with her.

“Well it’s better than being alone.” He still had that indifferent tone in his voice.

“This is weird. I don’t think we are that close to celebrate your birthday with just the two of us.”

“Well we’re already here.” Donghae informed her before opening the side of his door and got out, leaving her to look out and ponder.

“Where’s ‘here’ exactly?”  She wasn’t able to pay attention to where Donghae drove because she was just annoyed at him not dropping her off at the right place. Shin-ae rushed to follow Donghae who was already heading inside a restaurant, it must be better than just staying in the car to mope around or else her mind will start to recall those scenarios from horror movies.

Shin-ae sat across Donghae and narrowed her eyes at him while he just looked all calm and collected.

“I thought you weren’t going to arrive birthday boy.” A mother-like waitress went to the table to greet Donghae before noticing Shin-ae. “Oh…and you brought someone new. I think it’s a first for you to bring a girl…friend.” The waitress handed over the menu to the two despite knowing that Donghae always orders his usual.

“I think the staff is staring at us.” Shin-ae whispered to Donghae after giving her order.

“They're staring because I'm handsome.” And there goes Donghae, smug as always.

“Seriously…I already lost my words for you.” But it’s not like she can deny that fact too.

“It’s the restaurant I always go to for my birthday. I usually come here with Eunhyuk or my family, or even alone. They must be wondering who you are to me.”

“Well what am I to you? I don’t even know if we’re friends yet. Maybe as-”

“My interest.” Donghae completed her sentence for her.

“Your what??” She asked surprised, her voice slightly raising.

“My interest and subject to tease.” Donghae sniggered before switching the topic. “Anyway, since you already know a part about my past love, it’s only fair that you share yours.”

“I don’t mind since it’s in the past.” This time it was Shin-ae’s turn to act cool about a topic sensitive to Donghae. “My first love was more like one-sided one but he made me feel that he somewhat liked me too. He was a senior of mine in university and everyone saw how dashing he was. We went out on a few dates during our last term but then he dropped a big bomb.”

“That he’s just being ‘friendly’?”

“That he’d be leaving the country to study overseas. I remember how he hugged me and ruffled my hair when he was trying to console me.” Shin-ae softly smiled at the bittersweet memory.

“Such a mean guy, that’s worse than being a bully or an enemy. He lets you get your hopes up and then bam he gets up and leave. Then one day he’ll come back probably still looking cool and all and expects you to take him back in a heartbeat.” Donghae’s reaction made Shin-ae chuckle.

“You watch too many dramas.” Shin-ae had to stop herself from laughing so she could take a sip from her drink. “As I said, it’s already in the past. And as I mentioned before, I’m already going out on dates.”

“Lee Jonghyun, right?” Donghae muttered as he raised his brow at Shin-ae.

“How did you know?” She asked with her eyes wide open. Donghae just keeps on shocking her today

“I saw his name on your phone. He’s your date, the one you were texting because you won’t be able to make it.” He explained how he found out but couldn’t decipher whether how he felt about seeing that.

Shin-ae didn’t know if she should get mad Donghae for looking to closely at her phone or feel guilty because she’s supposed to be with Jonghyun and not him today.

The food came a minute after Donghae spoke so they just started eating instead of interacting with each other.

 

The two then moved to the newly opened pastry shop next door for desserts.

Shin-ae ordered a cupcake and a cup of hot salted caramel coffee.

“You should stop drinking so much caffeine.” Donghae voiced out his thought as soon as they sat down a.

“I can’t help it. I enjoy it before and now I appreciate it more because of my work. There’s just so many fascinating things going on from taste to smell to the final look.” Shin-ae hummed as she took a whiff of her coffee.

“What’s so hard with swirling and mixing drinks.” Donghae scoffed and tried to get her coffee but she maneuvers and drinks it anyway, even staring at Donghae while doing so just to more.

“Oh be right back.” Shin-ae stood up and walked back to the counter for an additional order and a tiny request from the staff.

Donghae was busy checking something on his phone when a cupcake with lit candle was placed in front of him so suddenly. A cupcake with a candle lit on it.

“Saengil Chukahae!” Shin-ae greeted first before the employees loudly sang a birthday song.

“That was embarrassing.” He muttered after blowing the candle.

“But you liked it, right?” She winked at him before slightly dipping her finger on the icing and wiping it on the top of his nose. She laughed at how silly Donghae looked and for some reason he couldn’t help but smile back at her.

 

Although today’s plans were way different than what she originally had in mind, Shin-ae must admit that she enjoyed herself.

 

“I heard you cancelled your date with Jonghyun.” Shin-ae’s mom went straight to the point right after her daughter came through the door.

“Oh Mom you scared me.” Shin-ae whined. This isn’t really a topic that she’d like to discuss with her mom at the moment either.

“I just want to know why.”

“Did Jonghyun tell you?” Shin-ae was surprised that she knew.

“No his mom did. Did you perhaps go on a date with Donghae? Don’t deny it, I saw him dropping you off.”

“I didn’t know that it’s his birthday so I felt bad leaving him alone.” Shin-ae explained her side, hoping her mom would understand.

“Oh well, I guess I can’t say anything bad about that. He seems like a nice young man. To be honest, your dad and I actually compared him and Jonghyun.”

“Why would you do that?”

“We just brought it up suddenly because it seems like it’s the first time that you’ve gotten interested and close with men again. Although they both seem good guys, we’re just hesitant that Donghae’s future isn’t stable compared to Jonghyun’s business. And at this stage I think you’re already at the marrying age.” Shin-ae’s mom stated her opinion only to receive a frown from her daughter.

“I still have my own dreams to achieve before settling down omma. I love you and appa for looking out for me but let’s not get too far ahead into the future, if we are then let’s focus on my personal goals first.”

“I understand. Just one last question, they’re your type of guys, aren’t they?” Shin-ae tried to laugh off her mom’s question but in the end she mouthed her response.

“Both are my style.” She admitted then ran off to her room while hearing her mom’s hearty laugh echo around their house.

 

Shin-ae likes to disconnect herself from the world when she got into reading a book before sleeping. If only her phone wasn’t on silent then she would have seen the message that Donghae sent her.

‘If your coffee intake from earlier will keep you up late and you can’t sleep…call me. It will give me an excuse from Eunhyuk’s hyper mood. If not then, good night. Thanks for putting up with me today. You still owe me.’


 

YAY! Happy Birthday Lee Donghae! 

Hope readers from Visayas & Mindanao are all safe and sound. 

Sorry for the typos, wasn't able to double-check but will do (edit) in a few hours.