Move On

When She Was A Girl

"Last five minutes for passengers in Boston, United States, flight SE333" a cool, female voice rang inside the airport.
"That's my flight." Taec hitched his backpack and put on his Rayban. He turned to look at Torrey, Nichkhun, Wooyoung, Minjun and Junho who all accompanied him here. They were looking at him apprehensively, as if afraid of something.
"What's with those looks?" he snapped. "You all urged me to leave but you looked like you don't want me to."
"You will stop drinking when you're there, right?" Torrey asked nervously. "You won't smash everything in your room again, right?"
"And do you have your earmuffs, gloves, scarves, jackets and boots with you? U.S is not a tropical country, you'll freeze to death if you don't have one." Minjun piped in.
"Call us as soon as you land there, we'll pick up whatever time it is." Junho said.
"Taec we'll miss you!" Wooyoung exclaimed.
"We believe you can handle yourself better there, bro." Nichkhun said.

Taec rolled his eyes, but since he was wearing Rayban, they did not see it. He shook his head and scoffed.

"What am I, a five-year old? I'm going." he turned around them and walked away. Then he stopped and looked at his friends again. They were still worried-looking, and somehow, he hated seeing them in that way.

*Don't look at me like that you idiots. It made me feel how burdensome I were for you all before*. He walked towards them again and cleared his throat.

"Yes, I'll... try not to drink and smash things anymore; Yes, I do have earmuffs, gloves, scarves, jackets and boots with me; Ok, I'll call you all as soon as I landed there; Yes, I believe I can handle myself well there too, or I wouldn't have agreed with you on leaving this country; and... hem, hem... I'll miss you all too, so t-t-thank you." he ended, blushing slightly. Everyone had their mouths open as they stared at him in disbelief for a whole minute.
"Did.. did he just say, thank you?"
"Did my ears deceive me or did he really said he will miss us too?"
"SHUT UP! I'M OUT OF HERE!" Taec shouted and walked away for the last time. Everyone laughed at his reaction. No hugs, no farewell good-byes, but for them, his last words were the most comforting thing they've heard from him since a year ago.
"Bye Taec! Take care!!" Wooyoung shouted.

He did not respond and continued walking. They watched his figure became smaller and smaller from them until finally, he was gone.

Taec gave his boarding pass on one of the flight attendants. Then he walked towards his first-class seat and removed his Rayban.

His eyes were puffier and redder than before. He felt that he burst all his anguish last night before packing his things for this flight. He sat at the window seat and closed his eyes.

*Any minute now Amber, and I'll leave this country together with your memory*

"Do you want something to drink first sir before the flight?" a kind-faced flight attendant asked him.
"Yes. Do you have beer?"

The flight attendant was taken aback but she shook her head.

"I'm sorry sir, but we don't serve those."
"I thought so." he looked away from her and stared blankly into space. The attendant smiled at him before leaving.
"Please fasten your seatbelts, we only have one minute left before take-off"

Everyone obliged. The clicking of the seatbelt signaled Taec's last farewell. After a minute, the plane roared into life, and they gained speed, until they were flew in the air.

 

"Junho, I'm already here." Taec said over the phone. He went straight towards the exit door and waited for a cab outside.
"Hmmm.... good to know..." Junho answered sleepily.
"Tell the others for me. Bye." then he hung up. A yellow cab stopped in front of him and he entered inside.
"Where to sir?" the driver asked.
"A50 at Bedford, Massachusetts please."

Wooyoung and the others suggested different places for him before leaving but he already have a place to stay - this was where he stayed for 7 years before when he and his family resided in this small town with its peaceful surroundings and enviroment-friendly neighborhood. And now, after 4 years, he's coming back to this town again.

He chose another condominium rather than staying at their old mansion, with only their John the caretaker in. If he wanted space, then he wanted to be alone.

"We're here sir." the cab stopped in front of a glamorous building, much better than in Solar Homes.
"Here, keep the change." he paid the cab driver and closed the door. He went inside, searched for his room floor and entered the elevator. At 5th floor the elevator stopped, and Taec walked towards his new home. He was searching for his keys when he heard a door opened behind him.

A woman as pale as a ghost who wore a white, long dress was breathing heavily against the door. She was shaking from head to toe and her body was covered in sweat. She leaned on the wall for support while she started to walk slowly.

"Hey, are you okay?" Taec called, following her move. The woman ignored her and continued walking. Then she stumbled down and sat on the floor.

Taec ran after her and put his palms on her forehead.

"Oh , you're burning like hell! I'll take you to the hospital." He placed his left arm around her shoulders while he put his right arm under her legs.
"N-no.." the woman said weakly, pushing him out of her way. "I don't like hospitals... and doctors... especially medicines.." then she gulped for air.
"I don't think so. The last thing I want is to witness a woman dying in front of me..... again." he remembered Amber but he pushed the thought away. Right now, what mattered was the woman in front of him. He carried her towards the elevator. When they reached the ground floor, he called for help and the workers immediately phoned tha ambulance.

After minutes of waiting, a white van in red and blue lights stopped in front of A50. They put the woman on a stretcher and asked Taec,

"Are you the boyfriend? Please come with us." one of the men in white uniform said.
"N-"
"Hurry." The man pushed him inside the ambulance too and closed the door. Taec groaned.

*Where did I put myself again now?* he thought.

The ride to hospital was quick. He soon found himself in front of the emergency room, waiting for whatever--will-happen-next. A nurse came outside the ER and looked at Taec.

"Are you her boy friend?" she asked.
"Do I look like one? I'm a stranger. I just saw her in front of my condo." he replied.
"Ok, we're sorry sir. Then can we know your building so we can contact her family?"
"Yes, A50."

The woman nodded and went over the reception desk. Then she went back to the ER and closed the door.

Later on, he heard hurried footsteps and saw a flustered-looking husband and wife. The man was in his late 40's, with small eyes and Korean-like complexion. The woman, on the other hand, looked like she was still in her 30's, tall, paler than her husband, with long nose and brunette hair. They ran towards the ER and peered inside the small window.

"Oh my goodness! She really doesn't know how to listen!" the woman said, a mix of frustration and worry on her tone.
"Calm down Adele, she'll be fine." her husband said soothingly
"Calm down?! I told her many times to just live with us but she insisted on living alone!"
"She's 20 now, she's capable on deciding for herself."
"Does that look like a woman capable of handling himself to you, Hyun Joo? Oh God I'm so worried." she burried her face on her hands and sobbed dryly. Her husband put a comforting arm around her and looked at Taec.
"Who are you?" he asked.
"I'm the one who found your daughter." Taec answered.

The woman looked up to him and hugged him. Taec was taken aback and had the urge to push the woman out of his way but fought against it.

"Ohh thank you... thank you so much! How can we ever repay you..?" 

*Stop embracing me.* he thought.

"Nothing. It's fine... er, Ma'am." he awkwardly removed himself from the tight hug and bowed at them. "I still need to do something else, I'll go ahead." he gave them a curt bow again before walking away. He rode another cab and went towards his condo for the second time. He turned the knob and entered.

Unlike his condo in Solar Homes, his new place was painted in bright blue, giving the cool feeling of calmness and peace. He looked around; everything - from his living room to kitchen, from rest room to bed rooms, were different than his last home.

"A new place for new memories then." he muttered to himself.

***

Taec's first two weeks were hard for him. 1st; his household chores were always done by his friends, not him. 2nd; he doesn't know how to do his groceries well, so he ended up eating instant noodles, canned goods and ready-made lunch from convenience stores again. and 3rd; he was adjusting with everyone and everything, the temperature, culture and etc.

On one, Thursday afternoon, he decided to visit some art exhibits in the city. He did graduated from school a year ago, but after his graduation, Mr. Lee rejected him as the successor at that time, saying that he was still "immature" from moping around for a woman who died already.

"I will only accept you again if you proved to me that you're worthy enough to handle our company" Mr. Lee told Taec firmly.
"Fine! Then don't give me this damned company! In fact, I don't think I still want to run this, knowing that you cheated your way just to have it."
"You don't know what you're saying. And don't talk like you did not indulged yourself with the money you've been receiving from this damned company too."
"I did, and I fcking regret it old man! Have you said sorry to Jaebeom yet?"

Mr. Lee did not reply.

"Of course you wouldn't. It will hurt your ego so much, huh?" he scoffed and walked away from his father's office.

He scrutinized the black and white painting in front of him. It showed something of a face of a woman, with deep, dark eyes that resembled so much of a woman he knew.

Amber.

*Stop thinking about her Taec. You're here to forget about her, not to remember her again* he thought.

He turned his back from the painting and bumped into someone.

"Sorry." a woman's voice said. She looked up and widened her eyes at the sight of Taec. "O-oh! It's you!"

Taec raised his eyebrow.

"Do I know you?"
"No. But we met before. Don't you remember me? I'm the one you saved last time."

Taec furrowed his eyebrows. The first thing that came into his mind at the word "saved" was him deperately hoping to save Amber. Then, realization hit him and he nodded.

"Yeah.. I remember now. The one outside my condo" he grunted.
"Yes, that was me. I haven't been able to thank you for your help, my parents insisted that I should stay with them for a while.  So, thank you!" she bowed low in front of him and gave him a small smile. "I'm Kim Taeyeon by the way, how about you?"
"I don't talk to strangers." Taec answered flatly.
"But you just did."

Taec ignored her and walked away. However, Taeyeon was insistent.

"I don't know that you like arts. I'm a painter myself, how about you?"

Again, he did not reply.

"That painting you're looking at a while ago, it was the most beautiful part for me, don't you think? There were different mixtures of emotions in there - love, sadness, regret - a masterpeiece! I heard the painter was not American. He or she might be really talented to be able to hold an exhibit like this." she continued.
"Will you stop talking?! You're annoying me." Taec snapped.
"I'm sorry. I just want to be friends with you." Taeyeon said earnestly.
"Well I don't."
"Why do you always look grumpy? Do you have your period?" she joked.

Taec chose close his eyes and prayed for patience. He turned his back from her and walked away again.

"Hey, hey!" Taeyeon grabbed his arm and turned him around. "I want to repay you for your kindness last time. Let me make it up to you."
"You can. GO. AWAY."
"Noooo not in that way! Hmmm. Do you want to drink?" she offered.

At that Taec thought for a while. He looked at Taeyeon's earnest face.

"Wanna hang out?"
"Fine. But it's not my treat."

 

There was a loud pumping of music in every bit of space inside Burlesque, one of the most famous clubs in Boston. Taeyeon was at the middle of the dance floor, her hands up in the air while she danced like there's no tomorrow.

"Woohhoooo! Come on, let's dance too!!!" she yelled from the dance floor.

Taec ignored her and continued drinking his 6th bottle of beer. Taeyeon rolled her eyes and walked towards him.

"I think you've had enough. When I say 'drink', I don't mean you just drink here, party and dance too!"
"Go away." he grunted.
"Great. After I treated you, you'll just tell me to go away." she slumped down beside him and looked at his cheeks which was already puffy. "You haven't told me your name yet. What's your name?"

Taec did not reply. He drank down the last drops from his bottle and started with his 7th one.

"Oh God, you're a hard drinker, aren't you?"
"Do you have cigarette with you?" Taec asked, he was swaying slightly now and his eyes were becoming unfocused.
"I don't smoke. It's bad for my health."
"Fine. Hey, you waiter! Give me more of these will you? Give me 5!" he waved his 7th bottle and the waiter bowed.
"5?! Whoah, seriously, stop."

The waiter came in with 5 bottles of beer with him. He took the empty bottles and replaced new ones on the desk.

"Here's your tip." Taec winked. Then he opened his beer again and drank.

Taeyeon just shrugged.

It was 10:oo p.m., and the party was still going. Taeyeon had been sitting for 2 hours beside Taec, watching him drink his 13th or 14th bottle. 

"I just can't stop you from that, huh?" she said.

There's no denying it, Taec was super drunk already. He turned to look at Taeyeon and gave her a small smile. Taeyeon looked at his thin lips curving upwards and her heart fluttered at how cute Taec was with his smile.

Then, without warning, Taec pulled her to his chest, hugging her tightly. 

"W-what..." Taeyeon said weakly. She heard a dry sob from Taec.
"Amberrr" he said softly.
"Who? No, my name is Taeyeon."
"Amber, I'm sorry... It's my fault."
"What are you saying?" she demanded. She pushed him lightly and looked at his face. He was already asleep.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes again and called for some of the workers. They carried Taec towards her car and minutes later, Taeyeon drove towards her unit at A50.

When they arrived, she asked someone to carry Taec all the way to 5th floor.

"What room Ma'am?" the worker asked.

Taeyeon paused. She looked from Taec's condo on her left to her condo on her right. Then she pointed to her right.

"In here please.". Together, they entered her place towards Taeyeon's bed room. The worker placed Taec in there while Taeyeon gave him his tip.
"Thank you Ma'am."

When they were finally alone, Taeyeon looked into Taec's sleeping figure and frowned.

"You talked to me, I treated you, and now you're sleeping in my place, yet you haven't said your name." she said. She straightened up and turned, but Taec grunted in his sleep.
"Amber..." he said.
"Right, your name is Amber. Perfect." she laughed lightly while she silently closed the door behind her.

***

The glaring rays of the sun from Taeyeon's window tickled Taec's face. He frowned and rolled over, covering his face from the gleaming light.

Minutes later, Taec opened his eyes.

"Where am I?" he looked around him and instantly checked if he still has his shirt on. Yes, he still has one, and he sighed in relief. He stood up and staggered slightly, clutching his head. His hangover was unbearable. He ran outside the room and searched frantically around. Taeyeon's face welcomed him and she smiled.
"Oh good you're awake. Good morning!" she greeted energetically.
"Bathroom?"
"It's over there." she pointed to her right.

Taec ran towards it, clamping his mouth with his hand. Then, he puked everything he drank and ate last night. The loud splatter of sick on Taeyeon's toilet was audible even when Taeyeon was at her kitchen.

"I have medicine here, after you're done with that, please flush the toilet properly." she called.

It had been several minutes before Taec reappeared again, wiping his mouth. He washed his hands on the sink and looked at Taeyeon.

"What did you do to me last night?" he demanded. Taeyeon raised her eyebrows.
"An employee carried you here while you slept on my bed. Thanks to you I slept on the couch." she said, nodding at her living room. There were blankets and additional pillows lying on it.
"Oh, then... what did I do last night? Did I do.., something weird?"
"If by weird you mean hugging me and grunting someone's name, well yes, you did."
"I did?!!" Taec asked increduously. He remembered Amber saying the same thing and looked uncertainly at Taeyeon. "I didn't.... sniffed your neck too, right?"
"Who are you, a ?"

He remembered Amber again. They always accused each other as erts before.

"I'm not." he answered flatly.
"Well, if it's all clear now, eat." she placed fried rice, bacons and eggs on the table."After you're done with that, then you can drink yor medicine, here." she place a glass of water and a pill beside his breakfast.

Taec sat at the dining table and started eating. Taeyeon watched him eat and asked,

"What's your name?"

Taec looked to her and hesitated. Finally, he said.

"Taec Lee."
"Wow, our names almost sound alike." she noted. When Taec did not reply, he continued.
"You seriously had one of the worst hangovers I've seen so far."

*Hangover?* Taec laughed dryly.

"Why are you laughing?"
"I remembered having a hangover too, then when I woke up..." he looked into space dreamily. "It was her face that I first saw, with drool over my chest." he laughed again, reminiscing. Then without warning, he sobbed.
"It's all my fault." he said.

Taeyeon gaped at him at how he suddenly changed his mood.

"Are you crazy?" she demanded.

Taec did not reply. He continued eating again, but with not much appetite anymore.

"Who's... Amber?" Taeyeon asked hesitantly.

Taec widened his eyes.

"How did you..." Taeyeon raised her eyebrow to an obvious answer and Taec nodded in understanding.
"She's... my friend."
"And?"

Taec hesitated.

"She died."

Taeyeon studied his face, then she nodded.

"I don't know you're story, but I'm guessing that she's the reason why you're here. Moving on, am I right?"

He nodded.

"Well, there's one thing I'm sure you won't be able to do here."
"What do you mean?"
"You won't be able to move on if you keep on remembering her here." then she smiled at him. "It's payback time! To repay your kindness to me, I'll help you forget this Amber."

Taec frowned.

"I don't get it."
"Just trust me! Let's hang out again, okay? Friends?" she offered her hand to him. Taec looked at her outstretched hand and raised his eyebrow.
"Whatever." he said, not taking her hand.

Taeyeon pulled her hand back and smiled at him.

"After you're done with that, let's watch movies!"
"Amber and I watched movies -"
"There you go again..." Taeyeon said exasperatedly.

***

At noontime, Taec and Taeyeon were inside the movie house, waiting for their turn to buy their tickets.

"What movie do you want to watch?"
"Anything but drama." he answered.
"Hmm... then let's watch this! The Man of Steel."
"Whatever."
"Alright!" Taeyeon was incredibly joyous and excited today. When at last they bought their tickets, she was frowing now.
"What's wrong?" Taec asked her.
"Nothing." she answered grumpily.

They went over the food stall and ordered for popcorns. The seller was busy chit-chatting with someone over the phone and she was completely ignoring Taec and Taeyeon.

Taec, being an impatient man he was, opened his mouth to scold the seller. But Taeyeon was the first one to do that.

"WILL YOU TURN OFF YOUR PHONE AND GET OUR ODERS?!" she shrieked loudly.

The seller looked up and jumped.

"I'm, I'm sorry Ma'am! -"
"Sorry?! You think I'll take your sorry?! Do you want me to chuck that phone on your fat mouth?!"

Everyone in the movie house was staring at Taeyeon now. The seller hung her head in embarrassment.

"Taeyeon, what are you doing?" Taec hissed, looking aroung the curious crowd. "Let's go." he grabbed her arms.
"NOO!! I'LL SCALP HER HEAD FIRST AND THREW HER OUTSIDE THE WINDOW!!!" she was trashing wildly now. Taec put a large effort to pull her away from the scene, then he dragged her towards the empty rest room hallway. She was still screaming her threats.

He hold her shoulders and shook her a little.

"Hey, hey. Look at me. What's happening to you?" he asked confusedly.

Taeyeon looked into his eyes and calmed down a bit. Taec waited for her to relax her shoulders before releasing her. She was gasping for breath, trying to calm down completely.

"I'm... I'm sorry. I want to go home." she said.
"O....kay."

 

"Go and try to sleep now." Taec said.
"That's the problem, I can't sleep. Please stay with me here for a while."

Taec was inside Taeyeon's unit again. She insisted that she can't sleep and wanted someone to accompany her for a while. Defeated, he agreed to her request.

"Can you sing?" she asked.
"I don't sing."
"Hmm. Then I'll sing for you." she said. She cleared and smiled at her. She was being nice to him now.

"Sumgyeo do twinkle eojjeona? Nune hwahk ttwi janha
Beire ssayeo isseodo naneun twinkle tiga na
ttan saramdeuldo da binnaneun nareul chowahae
Kkeutkkaji kyeonggyehaeya hae
Boseogeul humchin neojanha"

"What song is that?"
"It's twinkle by SNSD. It's a Korean song."
"I noticed that. I'm a half-Korean."
"You are? Oh me too!" she exclaimed happily.

And with that their friendship started. Taeyeon, the new woman in Taec's life, helped him stand up again, move on and get a new life. 

 

"Happy 22nd birthday Taec! What's your birthday wish??" Taeyeon asked, holding out a home-baked cake for him.
*I want to see Amber again* he thought. He gave Taeyeon a small smile and shrugged.
"It's a secret." and blew his candles.
"Yahhh it's not fair! I told you mine last month!" she said, pouting.
"Who cares? I didn't ask you."
"Right. Oh yeah! Your assisstant brought your blueprints here a while ago, it's on your desk."
"Thanks."

It has been a year and three months since Taec lived in Boston. In that short span of time, he found a great job in an architectural company, made new acquaintances in his work and with Taeyeon's help too, and for the longest time since Amber's death, was not able to drink and smoke again.

"Hey, Taeyeon." he said.
"Hmm??"
"I was thinking...." Taec hesitated.
"What?" she looked to him curiously.
"I want to go back."

Taeyeon stared at him for a long time, her face expressionless. She blinked a few times and cleared , before attempting to give him a wide smile.

"Then can I come with you too?"