May Night

When She Was A Girl

"You should take a rest now Amy, then we can go home." Chance said softly as he laid Amber on her bed. Amber rolled over and stared at Chance with an unreadable expression. 

"Something wrong?" Chance asked.

Amber gave a small smile and shook her head. "Thanks. I'm going to sleep now."

Chance nodded and curled a strand of her hair behind her ears. "Sleep well Amy."

He turned off the lights and went outside, knowing that Amber needed to rest.

 

But later than night, Amber never fell asleep.

 

* * *

Chance opened his eyes abruptly as something woke him up. He had fallen asleep outside Amber's room while he waited for her to slumber in  a deep sleep. He rubbed his eyes groggily and stretched, then he slowly opened Amber's door. He peeked in, adjusting his eyes to the darkness and saw that the bed was empty.

"Amy!" he shouted, opening the door wide and turning the lights on. Amber was nowhere to be found. 

He started to run outside the room but bumped into someone on his way. He looked up and saw a confused-looking Taec glaring at him.

"Watch where you're going." Taec growled.

Chance pushed Taec away and ran again. "Amy!"

"What?" Taec muttered to himself. He took a peek in Amber's room and saw too that the bed was empty. He dropped his bags and ran on the opposite direction that Chance went through.


Where could she be??

 

Taec's loud footsteps echoed around the hospital. He notified the nurse about Amber's absence and started looking for her himself. He searched the every rest rooms, every empty rooms, even the lobby. Then he decided on going upstairs and searched every floor, until he reached the rooftop. He caught his breath heavily as he clutched the stitch on his chest, then, pausing for a brief moment, opened the rooftop door.

He saw Chance and Amber standing at the end of the grills, facing the sleeping city lights. The wind gusted heavily in the evening night, brushing Amber and Chance's hair behind their faces. They looked like they were on a deep conversation so they did not appear to hear his presence.

He walked closer behind them until he can audibly hear their conversation.


"...nothing, I just wondered how much we love each other before my accident." Taec heard Amber said.

There was a few moments of silence from Chance before he spoke carefully.

"Why?"
"Because I wish I can remember." Amber smiled sideways at Chance and closed her eyes. "Can you tell me about our relationship when we were in college?"


Chance's lips quivered but he replied with an almost-convincing tone.


"We met because of a common friend." he started. "We started as friends for years until I confessed my love for you when I was about to graduate college." then Chance smiled. "I remembered how beautiful you were back at our inter-college night - your beauty radiated any other girls on that party. We danced for hours until our school's traditional started before midnight."
"What's the tradition?"
"We will change partners every time the emcee will say so, and they believed that the person you're with the moment the clock strike midnight was the person meant for you."

There was another silence but this time it came from Amber. She opened her eyes and stared at Chance.

"And did we end up together at midnight?"

Chance contemplated his answer. Then, with a resolved answer, he said,

 

"Yes."

Amber's eyes hardened.

"Chance, you know what I hate the most right?" she asked coolly.

Chance stiffened but he did not reply. He stared at Amber with an alarmed look and waited with open mouth.

 

"I hate liars." Amber answered herself.

 

 

 

"And I hate you." she continued.


It seemed like air was knocked out of Chance's lungs. He gasped, not believing what Amber had said.


"A-Am -"
"What does it mean?" Taec finally interjected. He had heard enough. He looked at Amber with a hopeful expression and smiled expectantly at her. "What does it mean Amber?"

Amber turned to face him but her cold eyes remained unchanged.

"It means, I remembered something. And that includes Chance's lies."

Taec's face lightened up. "Then you must've remembered me - us -"

"Yes." Amber cut in.

 

 

 

"I remembered every single pain you gave me Taec. EverySinglePain. And that made you as worst as Chance."

 

 

And with those last words Amber walked away, leaving the two men stunned in the cold May night.


 

Thank you for your patience readers. :) I planned on doing faster updates but school works always come up.
Anyways, a few more chapters to go and this fic will end soon.

I hope it's our sembreak already, then I can dedicate my full time in aff like what I used to last summer, hehe.