Mondays

When She Was A Girl

Monday was a special day for Amber. During this day, she will wake up late in the morning and when she goes downstairs for breakfast, she'll find a smiling Chance wrapped on a flowery apron with the pan in his hands.

It was not a tradition but a simple habit that they used to do every start of the week. There was a day when Amber overslept and Chance was about to go to work. Being the understanding man he was, Chance cooked their breakfast and even brought it on Amber's bed. He liked the idea of cooking for Amber during Mondays because it starts her day, and from then on, he will cook every Monday for them.

And so on that morning, Amber leapt from her bed with a grumbling stomach. No worries though, because she knew that Chance will be in their kitchen with their breakfast on hand. She almost ran downstairs with her pyjamas on, and entered the kitchen with an expectant smile.

However, the kitchen was dead quiet and cold. There was no Chance around with a flowery apron and a pan, nor the familiar warmth of the kitchen or the delicious smell of his cooking. Instead, a plate of an already-cold chicken and eggs were on the table, with a simple note pinned on it:

Sorry, need to work early.
- Chance.

The message was short and... cold. She doesn't understand why he became like this so suddenly. A part of her was annoyed at his cold treatment, and a part of her was hurt. Chance was never like this on her. Never.

She flipped her phone and dialed his number. It rang endlessly but he never picked up.

*Maybe he was busy? He said he needs to work early anyways* She reasoned.

But there was a nagging feeling that maybe it was because of her tour with Taec last time.

"That idiot. If it's not okay with him then he should've just say no." Grumbling, Amber reached for her breakfast which was cold as Chance today and ate.

Best Monday ever.

 

Meanwhile, the man Amber was thinking right now was pacing around his studio endlessly. Every now and then he'll glance at his phone and will hesitate, then he'll go back to walking around again.

He really doesn't need to be early on work today. He just wanted to think straight. Apparently, the fact that he gave Amber a cold breakfast that he cooked hours ago, and that he did not answer her call earlier, made him more distracted than ever.

He can't help it though. After seeing Amber's blushing face from her encounter with Taec made him feel like giving her up already. Taec was right anyways. And Chance knew, that from the very start, he has no special place in her heart.

At last, he sat on his chair and stared at the empty canvass he was suppose to paint. What will he paint anyways?

"Confusion". he answered himself. Yes, how will he paint confusion?
"Or regret." 
"Or sacrifice."
"Or pain."

"Or..." another voice interrupted. Chance turned around and found Nichkhun leaning on his door. "You can paint me." he said,smirking at him.
"I didn't hear you come in." Chance said.
"Well yeah. That's because you were too busy talking to yourself." Nichkhun answered as he flung himself on the couch.

Chance frowned at him. "What are you doing here?"
"Just visiting my friend." Nichkhun answered casually. "So, what's up?"

Chance looked away from him and stood up again. "I'm doing fine, just thinking of the next theme I'll paint." he answered while he poured some coffee for Nichkhun. "Black right?"
"No, with cream please." he answered.
"Hmm. I thought you like black coffee?"
"That was before. Right now, I enjoy coffee with cream. You know, a partner in flavor... Something that compliments the bitter taste... Just like a woman best suited for the right man." Nichkhun's eyes shined maliciously while he studied Chance's frowning face.
"Hmmphh." he scoffed.

Nichkhun stiffled his laugh and continued. "How's Amy? I mean - AJ. No, Amber? Aaaarrgh. Her names confuse me. I don't know what to call her now." 
Chance gave his coffee to Nichkhun. "She's doing fine right now." he answered.

Nichkhun nodded in understanding. "So this is what you're up to? Painting?" he asked while he walked around the room and sipped his coffee.
"Mm-hmm."

Nichkhun peered at some of Chance's most famous artworks. He stopped at the masterpiece that was displayed on the exhibit last time which showed a woman half-concelead in a red curtain.

"Wait a minute... I saw this painting on television..." he said slowly. Nichkhun racked his brains and after several minutes, he snapped his eyes sharply toward Chance. "Painter X?! You're Painter X?" he asked in bewilderment.

Chance gave him a closed mouth smile."The one and only."
"Wooaaah. I can't believe my friend was famous like me." he said cockily. Chance shook his head at Nichkhun's boast but laughed. 
"So you're still modeling?"
"Uh-huh. And Torrey was too, in the very magazine that she was writing in."
"Torrey's a writer now?"
"Yep. She definitely loves interviewing and meeting different kinds of people. Anyway." he put the mug on the table and looked at Chance seriously. "It's not the reason why I'm here."
"Go on." he said kindly.

He scratched his head in an awkward manner. "Well, I don't really know where to start..." he glanced at Chance and sighed.

"Do you remember that day when I gave you my advice about flirting?"

Chance snorted. "I'll never forget that day." he said. "It was my most embarrasing day of my life."
"Yeah... Well, I wondered back then why the heck did you try that on AJ." he paused again and studied Chance's face. "Then I hinted to myself that maybe your type of girls were boyish ones."

"But I got to know AJ more. She maybe awkward with interactions with girls or boys, or that she acted exactly like a boy which really convinced me that she was a lesbian, but I found out who she really is. She has the warmest atmosphere in our group. Someone you'll be comfortable with easily,you know what I mean? Sulli said that too."
"Yes, I know that." Chance answered smiling.
"Then when you confessed that you love her, I was shocked but not like Torrey and everyone. I guess there was a part of me that already knew? Lately, I'm thinking about your reasons for hiding AJ from us. I do not approve to your way but I somehow understand you bro." he walked towards Chance and patted his shoulders.

"Look, I'm not taking sides here, but I want to give you a wise piece of advice." Nichkhun continued. "You can only give up when she made the choice already. If not, then continue fighting for her. A woman as worthy as AJ is worth fighting for Chance." he winked at him and straightened up.

"And so does Taec. At the end of the day, it will be on AJ's choice anyway. I just want you to try your best than regret later for not giving your all." he ended.

Chance stared at his friend for a long time. He can't believe the perfect timing. Just when he was thinking of giving up, Nichkhun's wise words came on him. Maybe that was a sign?

Finally, he laughed. "I can't believe the wisest piece of advice came from a player." he said chortling
"Hey! I'm not a player anymore. You know that." Nichkhun answered defiantly. "Like you, I also felt love. Although I was lucky because my love story was not as complicated like yours." he sniggered and turned towards the door. "I'll go ahead now, okay? Bye!"

Chance waved at him, smiling. He would like to give Nichkhun an award right now. That was his second advice that he'll listen to.

***

"Heeey wake up!" Taec shook Taeyeon's shoulder. It was 10:00 a.m already and she was still sleeping. What's with her sleeping habits?

"Taeyeon, I'll throw you on the bathtub if you don't wake up." he threatened.

Finally she rolled over to face Taec and glared at him. "Can't you see I did not sleep well?" she asked sharply.
"Why? You went to bed earlier than me." he said.
"Yeah well in case you forgot, I have insomnia." she sat up and yawned. "You don't have to throw me on the tub now, I'll take my bath. Go." she made a shooing gesture at him and he left the room.

Reluctantly, Taeyeon stood from her bed and picked her towel, toiletries and clothes, ready to take a quick bath.

After she was done, Taec stood up from the couch and smiled.

"Let's go." he said.
"Where to?" she asked, completely lost.
"You promised me that you'll help me with Amber right?"

Taeyeon felt the familiar pang of pain and jealousy but she managed to nod at him. "Why?"
"I'm planning to invite her on a dinner. I want to give her gifts too. And you know how much I hate shopping so maybe you can help me pick?"

Taeyeon pursed her lips and walked past him. "I don't much have a choice haven't I? Wait for 10 minutes, I just need to patch myself up." she gave him a brief smile and entered her room.

After the promised 10 minutes, they were driving towards the mall, with a grumbling Taeyeon on the side.

"I can't believe you did not let me eat my breakfast too." she complained.
"We'll eat on the mall. Quit whining." Taec scowled.

The drive was short and quick. A few minutes later, Taeyeon and Taec were eating on Bonchon with four large spicy chicken with them.

"You're really hungry huh?" Taec said.
"Uh-huh. And this will serve as my breakfast and lunch. Thanks for the treat by the way." Taeyeon said happily.

*Here she goes with her mood swings.* Taec thought.

They strolled the mall after their brunch. They passed shoe stores, dress shops, and sweet shops, but they haven't entered anywhere yet.

"Okay." Taeyeon halted and frowned at Taec. "Do know what you will buy for her?" she asked.
"Uhhh." he put his fingers under his chin and thought. "Something nice.?"

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. "Right. Something nice. Tell me something I don't know." she said sarcastically.
"Something that whenever she will see it, she'll remember me." he answered.

Taeyeon stood speechless from his answer. She doesn't know why, but his words struck her just like how it did when they where on the Ferris Wheel. 

She nodded in understanding. "Have you given her something before?" she asked.
"Yes. I gave her a pair of sneakers."
"Then.." she walked towards him and grabbed his arm. "Let's buy her a sneaker."

They entered Keds and searched for a color that will best suit Amber.

"How about this?" Taeyeon asked, holding out a pair of pink sneakers in front of him.
"Too girly." he said.
"This?" she gave him a black one and he still shook his head.
"Too dark."

Taec roamed around the shop with the saleslady tailing him. He stopped short a pair of simple, bright red sneakers. Perfect.

"I'll take this." he said to the saleslady. Taeyeon joined him and looked over his shoulder.
"Red?" she asked.
"Yep. What do you think?"
"I think it'll suit her." she answered.

After buying Amber's shoes, they walked passed a jewelry store which made Taeyeon stop walking. She peered over the glass window and stared at a golden necklace with a majestic letter "T" engraved on the pendant. She really liked the necklace. If only she brought some money with her then she could've buy it right now.

"What are you looking at?" Taec walked back and looked at the necklace. "Hmm. You think jewelry will suit Amber too?"

Taeyeon frowned but she quickly hid her expression from Taec. "Uhh. Yes." she lied.
"Let's go in then. What do you think will suit her best? Bracelet? Earings?"

They entered the jewelry store and searched for something good. Taeyeon glanced at the necklace she liked and heaved a sigh.

"I think a bracelet is best for her." she said. "This one's beautiful, it'll match her complexion." she pointed at a golden bracelet with tiny carvings in it.
"Hmm. Okay. I'll take this." Taec said to the seller. She bowed at Taec and carefully placed the box on top of the glass table.
"For your girlfriend sir?" she asked.

Taeyeon shoot glaring daggers at the oblivious seller.

"Not yet." Taec smirked.

After buying the bracelet, they walked outside the store. Before they proceed, Taeyeon cast a final look at the necklace and shook her head disappointedly.

"Let's go." she said.
"Wait. I forgot something else." Taec replied. "Go ahead on the parking lot. Here's the key." he threw the key on her and waved. Taeyeon stared at him confusedly but decided to go by herself alone. She can't believe how masochist she was right now. 
"Seriously Taeyeon? Buying a gift to a girl you considered a rival? Asking Taec why he liked Amber? You're crazy." she told herself. The moment the word "crazy" left her lips, she laughed. "Yes. You are crazy. For him." she reached Betty and entered the car. In there she waited for Taec, who came back to her after almost 25 minutes.
"What took you so long?" she asked.

Taec ignored his question and started the engine.

"Let's go home." he said.

It was almost nighttime when they reached home. Taeyeon placed their shopping on the counter and went towards her bedroom. "I'll try to slee early now. Good night." she said.
"Wait."

Taec rummaged something from his own paperbag and pulled a thin, long box from it. He walked toward her and smiled.

"I did not give you a birthday gift last time right? But you gave me one." he opened the box and revealed the golden necklace that Taeyeon liked. She widened her eyes in surprise and looked at Taec confusedly.
"You've been a good friend to me too. " he took the necklace out of the box and walked behind her. Then he placed the necklace around her neck and locked it carefully. "So thank you Taeyeon. You're a real friend."

Taeyeon bit her lower lip to stop herself from bursting out her tears. There was a long silence between then and finally, she croaked.

"Yes. I'm a good friend. You're welcome Taec."

***

Amber slumped restlessly on her couch. The clock ticked 6:30 p.m. but Chance was still not home.

"What the heck is wrong with you Chance?" she asked herself frustated.

Just then,her phone rang. She sat bolt upright and looked at the caller ID.

Calling... Chance

"Huh." she thew her phone on the couch and glared at it. "It's my turn now. Let's see how you'll feel when I don't answer your call." she said, sticking out her tounge.

The call ended and she sighed regretfully. Ok. Maybe she was kind of rude back there.

Then her phone rang again and this time, she picked it up hastily.

She cleared first before she answered her call.

"Hello?" she said.
"Hey, Amy." Chance was nervous. "Did you eat your dinner yet?" he asked.
"Not yet." she answered shortly. "You?"
"Me either. So umm... I'll pick you up and we'll have dinner. Ok?"
"Where are you? No, I'll go by myself." she said.
"It's late already. I won't let you leave the house all by yourself." he answered sternly. "Wait for me."

After 30 miuntes, Chance honked his car and Amber went outside the house immediately.

"Hey." she said breathlessly.
"Hey."

There was an awkward silence between them even when Amber was inside his car. No one initiated the talk, and although Chance talked to her, she can't help but feel that he's still cold towards her.

She can't take that kind of atmosphere. She opened her eyes to say something just when Chance stopped the car in front of his paint studio.

"We're here." he gave her a brief smile and opened the door for her. Amber walked out, looking at his studio.
"We're eating here?" she asked.

Chance hold her hand. Amber suddenly felt the warmth she was looking for all day and she smiled at Chance.

"I hope you'll like it. I cooked for you." he said. They entered the building and Chance switched the lights on.

Chance's paint room brightened with colorful lights. It designed with his paintings from every corner of the room that glittered more through the beam from the lights. At the middle of the room was candlelit dining table with all of Chance's signature cooking and to cap it all, there was a lovely background music that brought calm inside the room.

He moved the chair for Amber and she sat on it. Chance always treats her like a princess, that's one of the things she liked on him. She gave him her sweet smile.

"I thought you're angry at me." she said.

Chance scratched his head and placed some servings on her plate.

"I'm sorry." he said.
"Don't worry, you're forgiven."

They ate in silence, glancing at each other every now and then. After their dinner, Chance stood up and offered his hand.

"Can I have the honor of dancing with my lady?" he asked, flashing his white teeth.

Amber snorted. She reached for his hand and walked closer to him. She laid her head on his chest and closed her eyes.

"Hmm. This scene was familiar." she mumbled.

Chance tensed but luckily, Amber stayed oblivious from it. "Did we have a candlelit dinner before?" she asked.
"Yes." he replied, glad to know that he's not lying to her again. "And it was the first time we danced too." he put his hands on her waist and pulled her closer to him. "And it was the best night of my life."

Amber nodded. "I wish I can remember everything now." she said. "So I can recall how much we loved each other before."

He bit his lip guiltily. 

"I'm sorry if I'm cold to you earlier." he said, immediately changing the subject. "I'm not angry at you. But frankly, I'm jealous." he confessed.

Amber pulled away from him and frowned. "Then you should've say no." she said.
"I know. But... nah, forget about it. Come here." he hugged her again and kissed the top of her head. "The next time he'll ask you out, I'll say no then. I promise." he said softly.

For a long time, they just stood there, swaying with the beat of the music, dancing. Then Amber broke the silence.

"Chance?"
"Hmm?"
"Can we visit my family now?" she looked up and stared at his eyes. "I want to meet them."

 

Yes, fate was cruel to him. He can't avoid everything forever, and he was ready to brace himself for the worse.

"Sure." he answered, smiling at her.

 

But right now, all he wants is to enjoy the night with Amber, because he never know when would it last.