Back To Where It All Began

When She Was A Girl

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Ninoy Aquino National Airport. It is now 07:25 a.m. PST..."
"Oh finally! My 's growing numb from sitting!" Taeyeon muttered to herself.
"And the temperature is 36.6 degree celsius...."
"What?! 36.6 degree - Oh my f-!"
"Shut up Taeyeon!" Taec hissed.
"...On behalf of Kpop Airlines, I thank you for joining us on this trip, and we are hoping to see you again."

They felt the plane touched down. Then several minutes later, Taec and Taeyeon arrived inside the airport. Taec looked around in this familiar surrounding - the airport was jam-packed; here and there Taec can see different arriving and departing people - be it foreigner or local; he missed the familiar buzz of people in their native tounge; and so are the tan-skinned men and women around him, even though he was not tan himself.

*Amber, I'm home. I moved on. I wish you're happy now.* it was the first thing he told himself.

As the thought of his beloved sparked inside his head again, he thought he saw someone as tall as Amber passed in front of him. He blinked a few times... The back of the woman's head and her shoulders were very similar of that of Amber's. He followed the woman who was several steps ahead of him now - he was doubting himself if this girl was really her. She has shoulder-length, black and curly hair, she wore thin, pink top, skinny jeans and red heels.

"Amber.." Taec murmured. He pushed several people out of the way now to catch up with the girl. Even her way of walking was very different from the Amber he knew... but he has to know if it was her, even if he was just dreaming again.
"Amber!" he called.

The woman did not turn around. Then, to his right, a swarm of new arrivals appeared in front of him, and he was parted completely with the woman in red heels.

"Amber!!!" Taec tiptoed over the heads of the new people and caught a glimpse of her head top. She turned around a corner, and then she was gone.
"Move!" someone grunted.

Taec let himself be pushed around by the new arrivals, staring longingly at the spot where the woman disappeared. He sighed frustatedly to himself.

*You're so stupid Taec. Of course it was not Amber. She's dead.* and he face-palmed himself.

"Taec!!" 

Taec looked around. An angry-looking Taeyeon was marching towards him. She puffed her chest and glared at him.

"Are you ditching me here?! You know I'm a total stranger in this place, I might get lost!" she shouted.

Taec stared at her. He totally forgot that Taeyeon was with him.

"I-I forgot." he answered honestly.
"OH! YOU FORGOT!" she snorted sarcastically. "Great. Then just get out of here. Don't mind me, I can handle myself very well."
"I didn't meant to. I..." he hesitated, looking back to where the Amber-look alike had gone.
"You what? And who or where are you looking at?" she snapped.
"Taeyeon... I thought... I thought I saw Amber..." he muttered tonelessly.He very well knew how Taeyeon reacts whenever he mentioned Amber, but he couldn't resist himself from blurting it out loud. Being the woman of her words, Taeyeon did give a hundred and extra effort to pay Taec the help he had given her a year ago. Somehow, she was successful in making Taec forget about Amber when they were in Boston.

But not entirely. Especially today.

Like what he expected, Taeyeon froze and raised her eyebrow.

"You just went back in your home country and you started hallucinating of Amber again. You want to go back to States now?"
"No. Forget about it. You're right. Maybe the thought of being back here just made me think of her again. Let's go." he walked pass her and led the way outside the airport. Taeyeon caught up with him and slung her arms around his.

Taec was not uncomfortable with that action. He thought that a year of interacting with Taeyeon's weird personality made him grow used to it already.

"You don't want to call your friends?" she asked.

Taec shook his head.

"I want some space first." he replied.
"Where are we staying?"

Taec stopped in his tracks and thought deeply. Where will they stay??

*Well, definitely not at old man's house*

And he was doubting if he wanted to go back to his condo in Solar Homes. 

*But what about Amber?*

He looked up to Taeyeon who was waiting patiently for his answer.

"At my condo."

He called a taxi and they entered inside together.

"Where to Sir?"
"Solar Homes, Hottest street."

*Back to where it all began*. For some reason, he was very nervous to go back to his condo. It had been where he and Amber made their sarcastic, and not so sweet memories, but he really missed her... and Betty too. He wiped his sweaty palms in the side of his pocket and waited for their drive to stop. Taeyeon was silent all the way.

"We're here sir." the taxi driver grunted. He tore the bill from the machine and gave it to Taec. Then he payed their ride.
"Whoooaaahhh Taec! You're building was so tall! How many building were there?" Taeyeon asked, looking above her.
"I don't know. But I'm at 13th floor."
"13th floor? Oh my God, I sure hope the elevator's working. I don't want to climb all our way through the stairs. Imagine us doing that?" she snorted.

Taec's thought fluttered to the days where he made Amber's life hell.

 "Go get my things in my bedroom. And this time , you have my permission to enter." he stopped at front of the door. "Oh, and by the way, use the stairs when you go down, you understand?" he leered at Amber.

"Yes, but I can imagine someone doing it." he replied, smiling affectionately to himself.

Taeyeon studied his face carefully.

*I had the feeling there is more to his answer than that* she thought heavily.

They entered the elevator with golden doors and punched the 13th button.

*Any minute now Taec......* he thought. 

Ding!

The doors opened for them and they walked outside. They turned to their left and stopped short at the door with a number 2 in front of it. He took his card keys and slide it down the slot. It had been a long time since he last used that.

"There was a familiar click and he pushed the door open.

Everything and everywhere were the same. Same classical black and white motif, spacious room with less furniture, and a big window just in front of them that let them see the city lights at night. After a year, he was finally home.

"Do you have a caretaker here? It looked so clean like someone was living here too." she said.
"It's probably my friends. They have duplicated keys for this room too."
"And you're place is big too Taec. Well, what to expect for the heir of Lee Firms, huh?" Taeyeon commented, peering at the salvaged furnitures that Taec was not able to destroy before.

"Fck Lee Firms. I'm not interested in taking it over." he said flatly.
"Yeah, I know. And you won't give me an answer." she answered sourly.

Taec did not reply and walked towards the spare bedroom which has been Amber's before. He opened it for Taeyeon.

"Here's your room..." *it was Amber's before* "And if you want to go to rest room, it's right ahead of you." *And that's where she slept at first too. Ah Taec, you keep on remembering her again!*

After an hour of repacking and arranging everything, she and Taeyeon decided to do their groceries first. They went downstairs towards the parking lot and gave Betty his Porsche a nice pat.

"I miss you baby." he said. He and Taeyeon entered his car and he started the engine immediately. Betty welcomed him with open arms.
"And they refueled Betty too. I wonder who's been using you for a year Betty?" he asked his car, looking like he hoped his car would respond.
"By the way, can you accompany me at the bookstore too? I need to buy paints and paint brushes for my new artworks - And canvases too." Taeyeon said.
"Ok."

Their ride to the grocery store was just short. No, they ended up in the mall and tehre they do their groceries while Taeyeon idulged herself fom shopping clothes and her painting materials. After almost three hours, they went back to Taec's condo and Taeyeon immediately prepared their breakfast.

"This is not a breakfast anymore. This is a brunch." Taeyeon said from over the kitchen.
"Well if it wasn't from your shopping then maybe we could've eaten already. And you don't want to eat on fast food restaurants too."
"Because I want to cook! This is my first day here and your first day back, eating home food is way better than eating on restaurants."
"Then if so, cook adobo. That's my favorite home food." Taec ordered.

Taeyeon looked around.

"What's adobo??" she demanded.

He forgot. Taeyeon doesn't know about it.

"It's food." he answered uncertainly, not knowing where to start his explanation.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

"I do get that. But how to cook and what are the ingredients??" she asked.
"Err.... it can be chicken or meat.. with pineapple tidbits... and um..." he paused and concentrated hard in remembering Amber's cooking. "I DON'T KNOW! It was Amber who did all the cooking before." he said without thinking.

Taeyeon raised her eyebrow again and looked away.

"I don't know how to cook that adobo you're talking to. I'll just do my own cooking. You like my beef caserole right?"
"Err... yes."

*But adobo is still my favorite* he thought glumly.

By afternoon, Taec excused himself from Taeyeon, saying that he'll just go back to his former university to arrange some papers he will need for entering a new job. Meanwhile, Taeyeon said that she needed to start her new painting and said that she won't go with him when Taec offered her.

 

"Ah, Mr. Taec Lee!" the principal opened his ams wide and welcomed Taec. "To what honor do I owe your visit today?" he asked kindly.
"I just need to arrange some papers I'll need for my job." he said.
"But why would you look for a job? You have your own company!"

Taec did not reply. The principal waited for his answer and it took him for a while to notice Taec's unwillingness to open the topic.

"The papers, the papers! Yes, yes. I'll phone my assistant to do everything. But first, do you want something to drink?" he asked.
"Water."
"Okay." he phoned his assistant and gave her orders. "..and don' forget water for my guest!" he ended the call and smiled to Taec. "So what was your job when you were in States Mr. Lee?"
"I'm an architect." he replied shortly, not interested with the conversation.
"That was really great! St. Evangeline did produced numerous of successful architects and painters for the last two years. I knew for one that a student from Fine Arts was successful in his profession too, I should check that student's name. I'm really forgetful when it comes to that."

When Taec did not respond, the prinicipal continued.

"You're arrival was pretty timely too Mr. Lee. You were just in time for Batch 2011 Masquerade Ball. It was the celebration for 2011 graduates, and wait..." he searched his drawers before pulling out two gold and red envelopes with elegant scrolls in its front saying, "Batch 2011 Masquerade Ball: A Night For Reuniting". You can bring your partner there too. Don't forget your masks! You know that St. Evangeline loves surprises!"

Taec rolled his eyes. *Why does everytime that there was a night event, I need to pick a date too? And I the last time I attempted to ask someone out* he thought sourly, remembering the night where he waited for Amber for two hours just to find out that she was already agreed with Chance.

The assistant arrived and gave Taec's important papers. He stood up from his seat and thanked the principal.

"Wait Mr. Lee!" Taec looked around.
"You forgot your invitations." he said, holding out the two envelopes.

Reluctantly, Taec reached for the envelopes and pocketed it. *I was hoping I can just leave it there* he thought dully.
 

After a quick ride back to his unit, he entered the building and went towards 13th floor. From the elevator, he heard distant crashes inside his condominium.

"Ahhhhh!!!!" Taeyeon screamed. Then there was another sound of breaking china. Taec ran inside the and looked around his place: earlier, everything was neat and tidy, but now, he saw glass shards everywhere, upturned couches, and several destroyed canvases; paints were spilling on the floor, with a soft drip from it; newly bought paint brushes were snapped into twos, and Taeyeon was screaming her lungs out like she was very angry of something.

"I'll smash it all! I'll destroy it all!!!" she shrieked.
"Taeyeon stop!" Taec shouted. He knew the drill. He ran towards Taeyeon's room and searced her smaller bags. Then he found an injection and medicine. He came back at ramping Taeyeon and hugged her from behind her back. This was what he meant when he said that he grew used from physical interactions with Taeyeon.
"Shhh.. Here." he grabbed her arm and softly injected the medicine towards her. It helped Taeyeon release her anxiety and frustration. Minutes later, Taeyeon relaxed her shoulders and dropped her eyelids, falling on a deep sleep.

Taeyeon was bipolar. Her parents and Taec wanted her to go under a treatment but she insisted that she was getting better now, which was true. Since Taec came around, he was the only one that can calm down Taeyeon's anxiety problems on some minor occasions. However, sometimes even he can't handle her and the psychiatrist suggested the necessary medicines that Taeyeon needed for her treatment.

He carried her towards her room and tucked the blanket tightly around her. Then he closed the door quietly and went on cleaning Taeyeon's mess.

***

"I did it again? Didn't I Taec?" Taeyeon asked miserably.
"Don't mind about it." he said.
"I'm right. I did. And I even smashed your things too." she hung her sadly.
"I smashed my things too before, if you should know. So that was really normal. Now, eat." he ordered.

Taeyeon obliged. She was still feeling down. Taec thought of a way to cheer her up and remembered the invitations.

"Hey, we have a masquerade ball on Satuday. Do you want to come?"

She looked up immediately and smiled wide.

"Is it okay with you?" she asked happily.
"Sure."
"Oh I'm sooo excited! Let's go shopping right away! I'll finish my breakfast first!" and with that she wolfed down her food, suddenly energinzed with taec's offer.

They did their shopping after their breakfast, much in Taec's reluctance and Taeyeon's insistence. They entered the first shop they also first entered where he, Chance, Junho, Minjun, Wooyoung, Nichkhun and Amber shopped before too... and it brought back memories of Amber again.

*Everywhere I go. You're always there Amber. Always.*

After shopping, they went back home. And excited Taeyeon tried all her dresses on and showed them to Taec on how good she looked on diferent dresses.

"What do you think I should wear Taec? This blue one of this lavender?" she asked.
"Anything."
"Yah! Give me a decent answer will you!?" she pouted.
"Lavender."
"Okay!! I'm really excited! Do you think you'll see your friends there too?"
"Probably."

***

At Saturday night, everyone was wearing their face masks. Some wore whole mask that covered their faces, some covered half of their face only, and some covered only their eyes. Taec was wearing an elegant white and black tuxedo, with a white face mask on, covering his whole face. He was arm in arm with the gorgeous Taeyeon, with her silk lavender dress and a mask that covered her eyes only, revealing only her red and thin lips.

Taec looked around: he did not see any familiar people around, well, not really much, since everyone is wearing their masks. By 8:00 p.m., the emcee stood up and raised his right hand to signal everyone to listen. The music stopped instantly.

"Batch 2011 graduates... welcome back! To our lovely guests, welcome to St. Evangeline!" he greeted happily. "I'm Jay Marquez, your man for tonight! How are you all doing? It had been two years since you graduated, and I'm very sure that everyone here is already successful.  This night, we set aside our jobs, our careers, and decided to reunite at this very special event. To meet your old friends and know new ones..."

"You must be wondering, how can you know each other when everyone was wearing their masks? Well at midnight, we'll take off all of our masks, so don't worrry. But we have to do it at midnight!"

*Midnight again.* Taec thought. But he smiled to himself when he remembered Amber again, and that magical night that he will never forget.

"...but for now, let us dance with everyoen. We're all strangers, and we are to meet starngers today. Exciting isn't? You maynever know, the person you've been dancing right now might be the person you've been looking for all along! Alright? Then let the music begin!"

The orchestra (yes, an orchestra) started playing classical music again. People parted and partnered, then they strode down the dance floor gracefully, with very much poise.

"Let's go." Taec led Taeyeon on the dance floor too and put his hand around her waist. Taeyeon blushed, revealing her pink cheeks in front of Taec.
"Yeah, I know. I'm that handsome for you to blush aren't I?" he said arrogantly.
"As if." she replied, rolling her eyes.
"Hmm... Taec, is this the first night you attended?"
"No. This was my second."
"Oh.. then, who's your first dance?" Taeyeon asked curiously.
"Amber." he replied. Taeyeon's shoulder stiffened but she tried to relax it immediately. The reason why she trashed inside Taec's condo last time was because she kept thinking of how Taec remembered Amber in every single thing they do since they went back in this country. And she hated it.
"Who's your last dance then?" she asked again.
"Amber too."

Two years ago... The emcee insisted that everyone should be on the dance floor and change partners when he ordered to. But Taec was not a person whom someone can order with. HE was the one who ordered people. He hid behind the large statue and let the shadows swallowed him in the darkness, blocking himself from everyone's view but making them clearer on his view.

*Especially that lesbie who was dancing with Chance for so long now* he thought.

"At the count of three! One... two... three... CHANGE PARTNERS!" the emcee said. Everyone turned clockwise and Taec watched Amber dance with another man. He watched her dance with Minjun, Wooyoung, Junho and Nichkhun. The clock was ticking near midnight.

"Five..." the emcee counted.

Taec walked outside the shadow and pushed someone out of the way. His eyes were still attatched on Amber.

"Three..."

they turned clockwise again.

"Two..."

and again.

"One!"
"Out of the way." he grunted softly, making the man he pushed the only one who heard him say that. He turned around and looked into Amber's deep, beetle-black eyes.

"You're smiling like an idiot again." Taeyeon's voice said flatly. Taec snapped his head and his thought went back to Earth again.
"I didn't know." he said.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and pursed her lips. She guessed what he had been daydreaming while they were dancing, and she was really trying her hardest on not to lose control again...but she couldn't help it.

"Excuse me., I need to... go to rest room." she said.

She stopped dancing and walked away from the dance floor, leaving Taec alone. He watched her ran towards the rest room and was about to leave too when he caught sight of a woman in a y, backless dress. She was wearing a mask that covered her eyes and half of her lips, but her figure was something Taec couldn't forget. She was dancing with someone slightly smaller than him who wore a handsome black tuxedo. His hair was arranged in a neat and fashionable way that gave an impression that he was someone from a prominent class too.

*Is this the woman I saw on the airport?* Not wanting to lose another chance to see her, Taec strode over them and offered his hand to the couple.

The couple stopped dancing and looked at Taec. Taec did not utter a word... he was just speechlessly staring at the pair of beetle-black eyes behind the mask of the girl.

The man in black tuxedo bowed and gave her woman's hand to Taec. He led her towards the middle of dance floor and wrapped his arms around her waist. There was a sudden warmth that erupted in his body, like fire burning with the intensity of love and care that he had not felt for a very long time. The woman stared into his eyes too and smiled. Like Taec, she did not say anything too, and they kept on dancing quietly, but still holding each other's stares intently.

The clocked ticked midnight, and the huge father clock that hung on the wall erupted with a deafening sound, signaling that everyone should take their masks off, just like what the emcee said earlier.

Everyone put their hands over their faces and removed their own masks. Taec copied them, revealing his attratctive face in front of the mysterious woman with him. The woman looked into his facial features and tilted her head. Slowly, she moved her hands upwards too and touched her mask....

"Let's go." the man in black tuxedo whispered very softly at her ears, unable for Taec to hear his words. He pulled the woman out of the scene, and soon, the two of them were gone on the front door. 
"There you are! It's such a relief you took off your mask. I can't find you again when I went back a while ago..." Taeyeon said.

Taec looked longingly at the front door, his heart was beating very fast.

"Taec. Are you okay????"
"No.... I think I'm not."


I'm sorry for this slightly late update readers, I'm not feeling well lately, and to think it's our first week back to school. Tsk. Anyways, for the next update I PROMISE that you will see Amber again. ;) But for now, I'll take a rest again, because it's 1:20 a.m here already. Hehe. I love you all! XOXO :*