Taeyeon Meets Friends

When She Was A Girl

The long way back to his unit appeared longer for Taec. His head was still swimming with the secrets he was not ready to know yet. In fact, it seemed that he will never be ready to know it at all.

"Amber is alive... and that mother fckr bastard had been hiding her all along." Taec gritted his teeth in anger and gripped the steering wheel more until his knuckles went white. His mind was occupied only by the thought of Amber and Chance all alone in the same house; his heart constricted more whenever he thought of the sight of Amber pecking Chance's cheeks earlier; he thought he was going insane by just thinking of them alone - if possible, even more insane than Taeyeon's bipolar moments.

And because of his preoccupation, he forgot one important thing for the day...

Taeyeon.

Taec glumly opened the door and entered inside his condo. As soon as the door closed, a nearby lamp flickered, reflecting Taeyeon sitting on the couch behind the lamp, crossing her arms and glaring at Taec - the thing that man always saw on movies. The only thing is, with Taeyeon's furious face, and her skin as pale as ghost, not to mention she was wearing a black night dress too, made the scene looked like a horror movie than a man being caught by his wife from cheating.

"Taec." Taeyeon said hoarsely. Taec stood frozen on the framedoor. "You said you'll be back... but you left me." she continued. There was an obvious pain in her voice and she did not bother to hide it. 

That was just when his promise to Taeyeon dawned on him. He did say he'll be back... and he didn't. He was completely distracted by Amber's presence that he forgot about her. Taec looked guiltily at Taeyeon.

"Taeyeon..." his voice faltered. Where should he start explaining?

Taeyeon sat still on the couch and waited for him to continue. As awkward though it may have seemed, Taec walked towards her and held her cold hands. He can feel that Taeyeon was still not feeling well, and that made his gulity heart heavier.

"I'm sorry Taeyeon." he said sincerely. "I'm sorry I always forget about you." 

Taeyeon bit her lip. It was unbearable for her to accept that Taec always forget about her because of another woman.

*But Amber is dead. So just understand him Taeyeon* she thought
*What about me? Can he understand me too?* her second voice argued. Taeyeon was torn between the urge to yank his hands away or to pat his head to let him know that she understood his situation. Suddenly, tiny drops of tears fell on her hands and she looked up increduously as she realized that Taec was crying - again.

"What's.. What's wrong with you?" she asked weakly. "Shouldn't I be the one crying, not you?"
"What should I do Taeyeon?" Taec asked through his muffled sobs.
"Do on what?" she asked, although it made her stupid because she already knew the answer.
"To Amber." Taec looked up and gazed into her chocolate-brown eyes. "Amber's alive Taeyeon."

If Taeyeon's hands were cold already, then it turned even colder for her. Her whole body went stiff and her heart stopped dramatically. She can't believe her eyes.. She can't trust her ears... But her heart was accepting everything.

"N- no way..." she said. She desperately hoped that Taec was just dreaming again, or that it was only a joke (although it was not a funny joke for her if it was) or maybe she was just hearing things for herself. "Can you repeat it again?" she asked, waiting with bathed breath.
"Amber... is alive. She's back."

She doesn't know what to react in front of him. Should she stay expressionless? Or should she show her pain and dread to this news? Maybe she can act happy for him? In the end, Taeyeon closed her eyes and stood up.

"I need to rest." she said, and slowly made her way toward her bedroom.

Taec looked blankly on Taeyeon's plain, black door. He was just as confused as Taeyeon was.

***

The glaring glow of sun rays rested on Taec's sleeping figure. He ignored the sudden warmth on his face for a few minutes until the heat grew unbearable. He felt the desk beside him and picked his remote control. He clicked it a few times and the blinds went rolling down automatically. There it is... he can sleep again.

However, there was a loud "bang!" on the door and he suddenly sat bolt upright.

"H-huh? Where's the canyon?!" he said stupidly. He hurriedly got off from his bed and went outside his bedroom with only his tight boxers on.
"Oh!!" Torrey clapped her hands on her eyes and turned away from Taec. Nichkhun put his hands on Torrey's eyes too and looked disapprovingly at him.
"You shouldn't be getting outside your bedroom with only that on you. Can't you see it bulges?" he asked.

Minjun, Wooyoung and Junho all snorted in laughter. Then suddenly, they launched themselves on Taec and put their arms around his head, while they playfully whacked his head.

"You stupid baboon! Why didn't you tell us that you were already here?!" Minjun said.
"Arrghhh get off me you chimpanzees!!" Taec roared. That made the boys strangled him even more.
"Oh no we won't, you have to pay for what you did to us! Hahaha!!" Nichkhun joined in and he tickled Taec's neck. Taec shivered and stiffled his giggles.
"T-that.. w-won't work.. Nichkhun! Hahah!!" he burst out loud.
"I know it will, I've known you for years Taec!" 
"If we haven't watch the news you were featured on, then we'll be clueless forever." Junho said.
"Wait, what? I'm on the news?!" Taec straightened up and looked to them.
"Yeah. You're on Painter X's art exhibit yesterday, right?" Junho answered.

Painter X.

That made the memories of yesterday came back to him. He looked away from his friends. He was not sure why he can't tell them about what he discovered yesterday, or maybe, where should he start. He was still confused until now.

"Hey, are you okay Taec?" Wooyoung asked.
"Yeah, I'm fine."
"Put your pyjamas on will you? Torrey still has her eyes closed." Nichkhun nodded to Torrey whose hands were still clapped on her eyes.
"Oh yeah.."
"Taec?" Taeyeon opened her bedroom door and looked at everyone. Torrey forgot on closing her eyes and stared at Taeyeon.

Now that it was not already dark, Taec just realized that Taeyeon was wearing a y black night dress. Wooyoung, Minjun, Junho, Nichkhun, and Torrey looked open mouthedly from the y Taeyeon to the almost Taec.

"OH!!" they chorused and bulged their eyes in understanding.
"We're... we're sorry to interrupt what you're doing - I mean, what you're eating - I mean!"
"Stop talking Wooyoung!" Junho slapped his head and looked apologetically at Taeyeon.
"We're really sorry. We'll go back next time. Take your time now." he said.
"What?" Taeyeon asked blankly.
"Idiots! It's not what it seemed!" Taec went back to his door and minutes later, he was wearing his pyjamas and white V-neck shirt. "She's my friend. Not... someone you all think she was." he defended.
"Ahhhh" they nodded in unison, but there was still suspicion in their eyes.
"Fck off ! She's my friend and that's all! Stop those looks!" Taec said, completely pissed.

His friend snickered and nodded. Nichkhun went straight to Taeyeon and held her hands.

"I'm Nichkhun by the way. Nice to meet you..?"
"I'm Taeyeon." Taeyeon replied.
"Taeyeon. What a -"
"Tell her that it was a beautiful name too and I swear I'll scalp you alive." Torrey threatened. She walked towards Taeyeon too and smiled sweetly to her.
"Hello Taeyeon. My name is Torrey. Nice to meet you." she bowed at Taeyeon who also bowed back.
"Nice to meet you too Torrey.."
"And I'm Wooyoung!!" Wooyoung piped in energetically. He was grinning widely at Taeyeon that reached his eyes. "Nice to meet you Taec's friend!"
'Er, yeah.. me too.."
"Junho." Junho stretched his hands and looked seriously at Taeyeon. Taeyeon shook his hand awkwardly.
"Taeyeon."
"And I'm Minjun." Minjun smiled kindly at her and waved. Taeyeon waved back.
"If you're all done with the introduction, can we have breakfast now???" Taec demanded.
"Of course! I'll cook!" Torrey volunteered.
"Can I help?" Taeyeon asked. Torrey looked at her and beamed. 
"I loved to." she said. "Go on, change your clothes, then we can start our breakfasts."

Everyone settled inside Taec's condo, just like last time. Junho and Minun threw themselves on Taec's couch while Nichkhun played with Taec's computer. Wooyoung, on the other hand, was watching televison and the girls were cooking on the kitchen. It had been a very long time since Taec's place became lively like this.
 

"I miss this kind of hangouts." Wooyoung said.
"Yeah, me too. It's sad though that two of us were not here." Minjun said.

Taec looked away from his friends guiltily. *Come on Taec, tell them!* ... but he can't bring himself to spit it out.

"You're thinking deeply again Taec. Is that your new hobby now?" Nichkhun asked.

Taec snapped out from his thoughts and rolled his eyes.

"Not your business Nichkhun." he retorted. Nichkhun sniggered.
"Yeah, it's not my business, just like how we used to clean this condo every week, or fuel Betty and give her a short drive -"
"By the way, who uses Betty while I'm away?"
"All of us." Wooyoung answered.
"We take turns." Minjun said.
"Don't you all have your own cars?!" 
"You know we do. We just want to use your car." Minjun answered
"Yes Taec, because we really missed you!" Wooyoung said.
"Back of Wooyoung. You're getting creepy." Taec said.

There was a delicious smell that wafted the whole room. The boys sniffed longingly.

"Ahhh the smell makes me want to eat soon!" Nichkhun said loudly.
"Just a few more minutes boys!" Torrey called back.

Soon, all seven of them ate together on Taec's dining table. 

"So. Tell us how you two became friends." Minjun started.
"Well... we first met in front of his unit. You see, we're neighbors." Taeyeon said.
"I assume Taec did not bother to talk to you?" Nichkhun asked.
"Yes, he did. He was so grumpy-looking when I saw him again. We were on Painter X's gallery on that time."
"That Painter X is really awesome at the same time mysterious, don't you think? He kept on popping in and out of the news." Wooyoung said.
"Yes, he or she is my favorite painter." Tayeon replied happily. "I just wish I know who is he or she." her eyes glanced at Taec who was growing awkward at the conversation. He did not tell Taeyeon yet that Chance was Painter X and Amber was the host yesterday. He decided to change the topic then.
"What happened to all of you for a year? Are you two husband and wife now?" he asked Nichkhun and Torrey.
"We're not. I told him that I want my brothers to finsih their studies first before we engage ourselves." Torrey answered.
"Which will take for years, of course. Have you seen her brothers? They're all still young. No to mention a two year old baby. So yeah, by the age of 40, maybe we'll be able to marry at that time." Nichkhun said sarcastically.

Torrey blushed but she glared at Nichkhun.

"If you can't wait then let's just break up." she said.
"No! I'll wait! Age doesn't matter anymways."
"They always do that." Junho whispered.

Taec smiled at his friends. He did not know how much he missed them until they actually showed their faces today. 

"Where's our next hangout?" he asked everyone.
"Mall!" Torrey answered. The boys groaned inwardly.

So after their breakfasts they all their own cars and drove towards the nearest city mall. Taec opened the car door for Taeyeon. She stopped in front of it and looked at him.

"I'm really sorry about what happened yesterday." Taec said in earnest.

Taeyeon entered his car and Taec closed the door behind her.

"I guess you just can't help doing that." Taeyeon replied, looking away from Taec. "I forgive you."
"So, we're cool?"
"Yeah." and she smiled at him.

After Taeyeon fogave him, the mood seemed lighter for everyone, especially for Taec. At the mall, Torrey and Taeyeon were two jigsaw puzzles that completed each other when it comes to shopping.

"That red tank top fitted you, try it on Torrey!"
"You think? Oh you try this one too!" the two of them giggled happily and left the boys outside the mall. They spent hours trying different clothes on.
"Number 1 reason why I hate malls: girl shopping." Nichkhun groaned.
"Then you should have protested to your girlfriend earlier." Junho said.
"I can't. That's her obssession." 

After shopping, the girls dragged the boys on the movie house. Their movie for today was Les Miserables starring Ann Hathaway and Hugh Jackman. Throughout the movie, Taeyeon had her arm around Taec's as she leaned on his shoulder. Minjun nudged Wooyoung who nudged Junho who nudged Nichkhun who nudged Torrey and they all looked at Taec and Taeyeon. It was not hard for them to notice how close these two people were.

By the end of almost three hours, all seven of them were already hungry.

"I felt like our last breakfast was yesterday." Wooyoung complained as his stomach gave a low rumble. "See? My stomach agrees."

And so they ate their lunch on their most favorite restaurant - Bonchon. The place for Korean-style chickens.

"So Taeyeon, what do you do?" Junho asked.
"I'm a painter." she said. "But my parents want me to be a businesswoman like them."
"Ah! Just like Chance! He's a painter too.. I guess? Do you guys have any news about that man?"

Everyone but Taec shook their heads.

"Me too. I wonder what happened to him?" Wooyoung asked himself. Taec shifted uncomfortably in his chair and avoided the topic.
"Taec did mention that Chance a few times when we were in States. What's he like?" Taeyeon asked.
"Oh! He's sweet, and handsome." Torrey answered. She blushed as Nichkhun gave her a sharp eye.
"Handsome? Huh." he huffed.
"But... not as handsome as Khun of course." Torrey added.
"He's a good man. When you meet him, you'll see what we mean." Junho answered.
"And he's selfish." Taec grunted.

Everyone stopped talking and looked at him.

"How can you say that Taec?" Minjun asked him.

Taec did not reply.

"Nevermind." he looked glumly on his food as he remembered Amber and Chance again. He looked uncertainly to his friends and back to his food. He really did not know what should he do next.

As the sun lowered, everyone decided to say good-bye. Minjun, Wooyoung, Nichkhun and Junho all gave a Taec a brief hug and a loud thump on his back as they welcomed their friend back. They waved kindly at Taeyeon who also waved back at them. Taec and Taeyeon were the first ones to leave the mall, and as usual, Taeyeon slipped her arm on Taec's, making them look like couple.

"Do you think they're just friends?" Wooyoung asked everyone as they stared on Taec and Taeyeon's retreating backs.
"Whatever they are, I'm glad Taeyeon came." Junho answered.
"Me too. Have you seen Taec's change today? It was as if the old Taec disappeared completely." Minjun said.
"Then I'm happy to see the new Taec than the wasted one. Don't you all too?" Nichkhun looked around for response.
"Of course." the others chorused.

 

"I like your friends Taec. They're all kind and welcoming." Taeyeon said. She placed her hand bag and shopping bags on the counter and stretched her arms. "I enjoyed the hangout too."
"It seems the feeling was mutual. I think they like you too." Taec responded. He opened the fridge and drank water. "You should rest now, it had been a long day after all."

Taeyeon nodded and smiled. She watched Taec walkd toward his bedroom and her smile faded slowly.

"Taec?" 

Taec stopped in front of his door and looked at her.

"What?"
"What are you going to do now? About.. Amber.?"

It took him a long time before he answered.

"I'll get her back." he answered. With that, he gave a final smile at Taeyeon and entered his room.

While Taec was sleeping soundly on his room, his bedroom door opened quietly. Taeyeon tiptoed across the room and placed herself in front of Taec, who was facing the right side of the room. Taeyeon sat on the floor and leaned her chin casually on her hands, watching Taec silently as he continued to snore. She smilde affectionately to him and brushed a strayed hair from his forehead. She leaned her forehead on his and closed her eyes sadly.

"...but you're mine Taec."