Amber's Refuge

When She Was A Girl

"Gone? What do you mean by gone?" Nichkhun repeated Chance's answer. He and Torrey have decided to visit Amber early in the morning but only a depressed-looking Chance and Taec welcomed them.
"She asked herself to be dismissed as soon as possible." Chance replied.
"And you let her?"
"Yes." Chance answered. Well, to be frank, he doesn't much had a choice.

Torrey frowned at her friend and stepped forward.

"Really, what's going on?" she asked Chance.

Chance made a noncommittal sound, avoiding her eyes.

"Taec?" Torrey rounded at the man beside her. She hoped that at least Taec can give a better explanation than the latter.

But just like Chance, Taec's response was as unhelpful as a piece of old and worn-out boots. He made an involuntary jerk in his head giving Torrey and Nichkhun another vague response.

"Well that was helpful." Nichkhun commented sarcastically.

Chance excused himself and walked outside Amber's former room. He had no more business in this hospital and although it hurts him, he had accepted Amber's reaction.

He knew it will come sooner or later anyways. He took advantage of Amber's loss of memory, and bad actions deserve bad reactions.

He did not noticed that Taec was following him outside the hospital. Only when the man tapped his shoulder did he become aware of his presence. Chance raised an eyebrow.

"What is it?" he asked.

Taec was frowning at Chance. He eyed him frustratedly then sighed.

"Why? Why did she remember only those bad things I did to her?" he asked.

Chance removed Taec's hand from his shoulder.

"You're asking too much. At least she remembered you." he replied, entering his car.
"But why?" Taec repeated.

Chance shrugged.

"I'm a painter, not a doctor."

And with that he ignited his car engine, making a fast U-turn and within seconds, he was gone.

***

Meanwhile, Amber was miles away from her friends, back to her family. She booked the first flight she saw after she was dismissed a week ago, and made her way to the opposite side of the country. She wanted to be alone. Some peaceful place to think. And the perfect place? Home.

The moment her mother opened their tiny hut's door, Amber flung herself in her arms and cried continuously, until she had no more left to give. That night she slept with her whole family beside her, Yuan tightly curled inside her protective arms, their parents on either side of them.

That was the first time Amber felt calmed after she regained some parts of her memories.

"Can you believe that brother? I was completely fooled." Amber said, forcing a laugh. Then as sudden as her laugh appeared, it was gone. "Did I trust the wrong person? Because I don't know who to believe anymore."

She traced her brother's grave plate absently. How she wished that she was back to her old life. Even though it means she has to scrap the trash bins and beg for job, she's ready to take it. Maybe she can squeeze herself into Torrey's tiny home once in a while, or simply live with her parents forever, if only her life was not so complicated.

"You're watching over me right?" she asked Luhan."What do you think I should do?"

But her endless questions offer vague answers, and Amber was left hanging at the end of the line.


After what seemed like hours, Amber finally decided to come down the hill. Her stomach was already growling with hunger and she wondered what her mother might have cooked.

*I wish it's adobo*

And as that thought popped in her head, Amber felt an uncomfortable feeling at the bottom of her heart. Like she was missing something important.... something that has been a part of her life.... but what could it be? 

Amber reached their hut with that nagging feeling still stuck in her heart. Just as she opened the door Yuan flung himself on Amber's thighs.

"Ate! When will your friends visit us again?" he said.

Amber knelt in front of Yuan and kissed his cheek.

"I'm afraid they're all busy, so it'll take them a long time." she replied, pinching his cheeks. "Besides, I'm jealous. I just visited you and you're looking for someone else other than your sister." then she made a fake pout that made Yuan giggle.
"Don't be jealous, you're still my number 1 sister."
"Because I'm your only sister."

Then she carried Yuan in her arms and led the way to their tiny kitchen. Her mother was already preparing the dishes while her father was listening on the radio. Their parents looked up when Amber and Yuan arrived at the dining table and they smiled at them, their father turning the radio off at the same time.

"You're just in time for dinner Amber. Hungry, I bet?" her father asked.
"Totally father." Amber answered, smiling.
"Well guess what? I prepared adobo, with crushed pineapples. Isn't this your favorite?" her mother asked.

The same uncomfortable feeling burst into Amber's heart again, making her frown.

"Is there something wrong?" her mother aske concernedly.
"N-no." Amber replied, shrugging the feeling off. She brightened her smile at the sight of the soy-sauced dish. "Of course mom, this is my favorite." 

The four of them prayed briefly first before digging on their supper.

Amber couldn't be happier that she got to spend a whole week with her family. If only Luhan was with them, then she can be the happiest problematic girl in Earth.

"Oh by the way, someone sent us a delivery box. It's addressed for you Amber." her father suddenly said.
"From whom?" 
"No idea. There's no name written on the box." her father replied.

Amber had the feeling that the box could be either from Taec or from Chance. And if she was correct, then the more reason she won't open it.

After their dinner Amber presented herself to wash the dishes and clean the table. Then she went straight to her room to find the box her father was talking of.

It lied at the top of her bed, easily visible for her. Amber picked the box and rattled it. From the clanking sound of a hard object she was certain that it only contain of one thing. She was curious, but she dismissed her curiosity.

Soon a knock came from her door and Amber's mother came in. She smiled tentatively at her child and walked closer to her, then she hugged Amber tightly in her arms.

"Mom...." Amber managed to say.

Mrs. Mallari kissed the top of Amber's hair and hugged her tighter.

"I'm just happy that you're with us again Amber." she whispered softly.

Amber leaned her chin on her mother's shoulder and hugged her too.

"And I'm happier Mom."

The two of them stayed on that position until her mother broke the hug. She curled a strand of Amber's hair on her ears and gave one final good night kiss.

"Sleep well my child."

Then she walked towards the door.

"Wait, Mom."
"Hmm?" Mrs. Mallari stopped with her hand on the doorknob.
"You... won't ask me why I came here all of a sudden? Why am I crying that night?" she asked. In fact, she wanted to ask her parents this question for a long time. It bugged her why aren't they curious of her reasons and why they just welcomed them like they knew what she was going through.

Mrs. Mallari smiled at Amber.

"We don't have to Amber, we're just happy that you're back."

And that answer made Amber more confused.

She fumbled her phone and turned its power on. She intentionally turned her phone off for a week because she was sure that her friends, Taec and Chance would call her, and that was the last thing she wanted for now.

She had at least a hundred or so messages, mostly spams and repeated texts from Taec's, a few from Torrey, some texts from Junho and the rest, but none of them belonged to Chance.

*Well he's guilty, that's all.* she thought. She ignored all of Taec's messages and went for the most recent text message. It was from Torrey:


Ambie, where are you? It's been a week now, we're worried.
Chance here had been sick for a week. Can you come back now? Please?


Chance was sick? That would explain why he hadn't texted... or was it really a reason? Amber debated internally whether to tap the 'delete' icon on Torrey's text message or not. Should she come back now? Or remain here with her family?

 

*Sorry Torrey, but Chance can survive without me* she said, finally tapping the delete icon.
 


I'm really excited on Henry ft. Amber's MV of 1-4-3. ^3^
I watched the teaser ~~ Amber is sooooo cool! <3


1-4-3 Henry ft. Amber [Teaser]