๖ۣۜBeautiful Silence

ExoYul's Collection ♪♪♪♪♪
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The weather when he first met her was chilly. Summer had just turned into autumn, but already the warmth has faded away, replaced by the faint scent of the upcoming winter and the changing colors in the scenery. There were clouds floating in the sky, and when he saw the sight of her, a soft breeze rushed by. Her long hair was caught by the air and danced along to the rhythm of the wind.

 

She was sitting by herself on a bench under an old cherry blossom tree not far from the soccer field. Like every other girl in their school, she was wearing the school uniform, but for some reason he thought it looked much prettier on her. He didn’t really know what made him do that, but he decided to approach her and offer her a smile. And when she smiled back, albeit hesitantly, something lit up inside him. There was a fluttering feeling in his heart, and immediately he realized that that was how falling in love feels like.

 

 

 

Yuri lost her ability to speak at the age of nine after witnessing her house being caught on fire with her family members inside. She didn’t know whether she was fortunate or otherwise, but she happened to be with her aunt who took her out for some treats at the time of the incident.

 

She didn’t cry seeing the raging flames and the black smokes arising from her house. She didn’t scream either, and wouldn’t speak even with force. Not a single word escaped out of afterwards, not even a single syllable.

 

 

 

Jaejoong couldn’t really understand why people refused to let Yuri in just because “she’s a bit different”. They avoided her as if she had some sort of a contagious fatal disease. They made fun of her as if she was some sort of a fool, and when she came near they scrambled away in an instant as if she was some sort of an alien.

 

When he went to sit next to her under the cherry blossom tree, it was clear on her face how surprised she was. Why are you here? She wrote on a notebook she always kept with her.

 

“Let me be your friend,” he simply answered.

 

Why?

 

“Can’t I?”

 

She looked away into the distance. Over at the field, a team had just scored a goal and there was commotion in the air to celebrate the victory. Despite that, there were still pairs of eyes directed at the two, and there were hushed whispers exchanged between them. Yuri turned to her notebook again and scribbled something. But people would talk.

 

For a moment, Jaejoong said nothing. He glanced at the bystanders before returning his attention to her, placed his hand on hers, and smiled. “That’s alright. Let them be,” he said. “And if they do, I’ll be your guardian.”

 

When she heard those words, she found that her heart skipped a beat. There was a strange sensation in the pit of her stomach, and it felt as if the dark clouds had cleared up and a sun had risen inside of her.

 

 

 

The first time she heard him sing was when he brought her to the music room to celebrate her 17th birthday. He made her sit next to him on the stool and played her the song she loved on piano before slowly shifting it to the birthday song which drew a smile upon her face.

 

You’re good, she motioned at him with her hands. By this time he had already mastered the basics of sign language and still learning so that it would be easier for her to speak to him without always needing a paper and pen. You never mentioned you can sing.

 

“You never asked,” he replied with a smirk. He casted his eyes down at his fingers, his shoulders suddenly seemed heavy. “I’m still lacking a lot, but I’m learning. You see, I―” Jaejoong paused and looked at her. His cheeks were flushing a bit, and he could feel his ears burning. “I want to sing. It may sound silly, and pretty much immature and unrealistic, but someday I want to stand on a stage and sing. Songs that will inspire people, songs that will make people laugh, songs that will make them remember past memories, songs that will warm their heart.” He carefully takes her hand and squeezes it gently. “Songs that will put a smile on your face ― I want to sing them all.”

 

Yuri smiled at him. Outside, snow started to fall, painting the world white and clean and cold. She slowly pulled her hand back and he took off his scarf and wrapped it around her neck. The day you realize your dream… When you stand on the stage and sing those beautiful songs, can I be there? she asked, biting her lips.

 

Inside, butterflies kept fluttering in his stomach and he wondered if they will ever be gone. “Of course,” he grinned. “You’ll stand right in front, and you’ll be the only one I see.”

 

When they both closed their eyes as he leaned in to brush his lips against hers, he prayed with all his heart that the butterflies will never go away.

 

 

 

She brought him to the park on his birthday. They sat on the grass surrounded by a sea of greens and lilacs and marigolds beneath the vast canvas of blue blue sky that expands forever, their shoulders brushing against one another whenever they steal glances at each other. Puffs of white mists escaped their mouth as they breathed.

 

“I don’t like the fact that you’re older than me,” Jaejoong said, his head tilted and his nose scrunched.

 

Yuri nudged his shoulder and when he finally shifted his gaze at her, she smiled.

Sorry I can’t sing you a birthday song like you did for me.

 

He grinned back, the cheeky and boyish one. “Just saying sorry isn’t enough,” he teased with a shake of his head. She frowned slightly, but he just simply lifted his eyes at an enormous arch in the sky. “Hey look, a rainbow! Isn’t it pretty?” She nodded, and he returned his gaze at her and scrunched his nose again when he saw the twinkles in her eyes. “I changed my mind,” he shrugged. “You’re prettier.”

 

 

 

They were sitting at his veranda, munching on watermelon while listening to the chirps of the crickets and faraway birds whose names they tried to guess earlier but failed miserably. There was a faint sound of children giggling and squealing from the nearby field. A gush of wind blew and caressed their face, bringing along miniscule dusts and heat. Summer had yet to arrive, but the weather was already dripping hot.

 

What are you thinking of? she asked when she noticed his gaze on her.

 

“I’m just wondering how your voice sounds like,” he answered, smiling and shaking his head slightly. “Must be pretty, like the person.”

 

She stared at him for a while, then put down her watermelon slice. Listen, she instructed, her face serious and determined. She coughed a little and cleared . “Jaae―” Her voice came out hoarse and husky. Worried, he grabbed her hand and told her not to force herself, but she protested. It’s alright, she tried to say. I can do this. Again, she cleared . “Jaaaaee―” she began again with much difficulty. “Joong.”

 

Jaejoong froze the moment he heard her say his name. He blinked once, twice, and simply stared at her. “Did I hear that right?”

 

She nodded, and then tried once more for him. Her voice was still hoarse and raw, but this time somewhat smoother and clearer. “Jae… joong.”

 

He didn’t realize he had been holding his breath until he choked out tears.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter