Chapter 5

What if

 

Chanyeol was lying on his bed, in his room, torn between going to the party or staying at his room. He didn’t want to see Baekhyun and Kris together, but he didn’t want Baekhyun to feel left out. He’d see the pout in his best friend’s face and although it made him look really cute, it was something he didn’t want to see in his love’s face. Baekhyun was meant to only smile and even now, just as friend, he was going to make Baekhyun smile.

Chanyeol rang the doorbell on Kris’ large house. His captain’s house definitely belongs to one of the richest in their district, if not the whole city. Music was already blaring from the inside and Chanyeol feels a headache coming. He was not a party person, never was, except these past few months when he was sneaking out to meet Kyungsoo at different bars, drinking to his heart’s contents and going home drunk to a sleeping Baekhyun.

That was the start of their falling apart. Baekhyun was always tired, it’s always work, he’s always second to his priorities. He always goes home to find that either Baekhyun was still not home or Baekhyun was fast asleep. In hindsight, he should have been more understanding, but he was a selfish prick and now there was even nothing to fall apart because there was no relationship. Not in this lifetime. 

The sound of the door opening and a much louder music disrupted his reverie. He looked up to see Jongin, one of his teammates, open the door.

“Hey man! You came!” Jongin slapped his shoulders and directed him to the table in the middle of the room with a wide array of drinks. He looked around and took a beer before walking around to find Baekhyun.

He walked into the living room and realized he was wrong to have been worried all this while. Baekhyun was seated beside Kris, hands clasped together and looking so at ease with talking to the others seated with them that at one glance one would think they had been friends for a long time. With a heavy heart, Chanyeol went back to the drinks table and took one more before before walking to the door ready to go.

“Hey man! You’re going already?” Jongin went up to him handing a cup of alcohol to him. “The party is just getting started. Baekhyun has been looking for you.” Ears perking up at the mention of Baekyun, Chanyeol gulped the contents before handing back the cup to Jongin and going to look for Baekhyun again.

It turned out Jongin had lied. Baekhyun was still seated beside Kris talking to a bunch of guys who Chanyeol knew had no idea who Baekhyun was before this night. Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun. It was now sinking in that it had been a week since he broke up with the guy, a week since he was living as a sales manager for a computer company, a life that seems so far now. His heart clenched at the sound of Baekhyun’s laugh, over Baekhyun’s smile. His mind swirled over the images of them together. A week after he broke up he resented what he did, he regretted hurting the guy he had ever loved, still loves. And it hurt that it took a look in the past, another life, another guy to make him realize that.

He averted his gaze from the conversations and a laughing Baekhyun to get another beer. He went out up to the second floor of the house and went out to the balcony.

He looked up to the skies and saw so many stars, the same stars he looked up to in their apartment, the same skies in all those years ago with Baekhyun beside him in the back of his truck where they like to cuddle and just look at the stars. He knew by now the alcohol was affecting his brain. He started shouting.

“Why?! I know I was wrong! I know! Why would you do this to me??? Is this my punishment???” And in a smaller voice he said. “I love him. It was wrong to break up with him, I know that now. Why did you have to take away our life? Our lives? Take it back. Please. I want my life back.” Chanyeol started crying. It was all too much. He slipped on the floor it hurt but he guessed even that was something he deserved. He curled himself on the floor before he gulped more of the beer in his hand.  

“Yeol?”

Chanyeol turned around to find Baekhyun looking down at him with a concerned face. And with his alcohol induced mind, he forgot that Baekhyun wasn’t his. That the Baekhyun in this lifetime wasn’t in love with him.

“Baekhyun!” Chanyeol reached out his hand, like a baby wanting to be picked up. He was still crying.

“What happened to you? Are you ok?” Baekhyun bent down to check Chanyeol for any injuries. “Yeollie, get up.”

“NO! Leave me alone here.” Chanyeol continued crying. Sitting up and looking up at the skies he drank one more gulp of the beer.

“Yeol, stop drinking. You’ve drank too much. Give me that.” Baekhyun reached out to take the beer from his friend. Chanyeol didn’t want to let go of the beer and took it away from Baekhyun’s grasp, ending in Baekhyun slipping and sprawling on top of Chanyeol.

“Hey! Fine! Get drunk.” Baekhyun said before trying to stand up but Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Baekhyun and smelled his hair. It was the same as always, sweet and so Baekhyun. He remembered all the times they showered together, playing around and making love. Chanyeol tucked Baekhyun’s hair behind his ears and looked at him. I love you. He whispered. Baekhyun stiffened at what he had heard. It couldn’t be.

Chanyeol dipped his head and blew on Baekhyun’s ear before grazing his lips over Baekhyun’s cheeks and finally on his lips. Chanyeol closed his eyes before deepening the kiss. He cupped Baekhyun’s face before angling his head for another kiss. He felt something wet slide over his hands, he leaned back and looked at Baekhyun with tears in his eyes. Why was he crying?

Before Chanyeol could ask Baekhyun his question, he felt movement on the door to the balcony and there suddenly was chaos. A punch on his cheeks and a shout before he fell back on the floor and everything went black. 

 


my hands wrote this...meaning it might or might not actually be coherent hahaha chanyeol got beaten up haha 

if you haven't seen yet, chapter 3 is a new one...so back back back read back....

talk to me at @nikka14....you can yell at me for not updating...or tell me stop always being so hungry hehehe