Chapter 1

What if

 

 

"Yeol! I told you, nothing like that happened! Where do you get your ideas from? I was at work until midnight slaving over my reports and you're here accusing me of cheating on you???" Baekhyun pulled his hair out. He was too tired to argue. He was too tired to care. He was just too tired. Every single day in their house ends up like this, ends up in arguments and petty fights.

"You know what? Maybe it's you who's cheating on me, maybe that's why you're like being like this." 

Baekhyun looked up at his boyfriend of five years and saw him avoiding his eyes. And on those eyes, he knew, like a lightbulb moment, like that "eureka", he knew the truth.

When did they start falling apart?

 

"You're right." . Chanyeol couldn't look him in the eyes. 

"You're right, Baekhyun. I…I think I'm in love with someone else. I think…I think it's time we br…"

Baekhyun’s vision started to blur. Anything but this, God please, anything but this.

"No! No! Please don't say that. Please, Chanyeol!" Baekhyun gasped and fell on the bed. Everything was going slow. Everything was getting blurry. This was the moment he was dreading, the moment he never thought would come. Weren't they happy? Weren't they so in love?

Baekhyun faintly heard Chanyeol over the chaos going inside his head.

"I think it's the best that we break up now, than be miserable in the long run. I'm sorry Baek." Chanyeol started walking around taking some clothes with him before going out and leaving Baekhyun to himself.

Slowly, tears started flowing from his eyes. Memories started flooding his mind. 

"I love you." He remembered the whispers. The shared nights. The late night dates on Chanyeol's truck. What had gone wrong? Where did they make the wrong step? 

His thoughts became too much for him. He started to feel dizzy, then he closed his eyes.

It's over, it's really over.

 

Knock knock

"Kyungsoo-ah!" Chanyeol said through the intercom. "Can you let me up?"

"Yeol? It's 3am."

"I…Just please?"

"Alright." A buzz signaling the opening of the gate sounded. Chanyeol went upstairs to Kyungsoo's apartment. The apartment he'd been familiar with the past few weeks.

"Hey, what happened?" Greeted Kyungsoo. 

Chanyeol didn't know himself. It wasn't his intention to break up with Baekhyun tonight. He wanted to wait until the right moment but the moment the clock struck 12 that night and Baekhyun still wasn't home, his thoughts had gone into war.

"We broke up." He finally answered.

"WHAT? But, why?" Kyungsoo sat down beside Chanyeol on his sofa, his arm. 

Because I think I'm in love with you. 

"Can we not talk about this. I just need a place to stay tonight, I'll go by morning. Please Kyungsoo?" Chanyeol looked up to see Kyungsoo looking at him with understanding in his eyes. 

"Alright. My bedroom's door is open if you want to sleep there." Kyungsoo stood up to go back to his bed. 

"I'll use the couch tonight." Chanyeol answered. His mind was still reeling from the events. Five years. They were together five years, and it all came down to this. His eyes were getting heavy, exhaustion catching up on him. It's over. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Chanyeol woke up when he heard a loud noise that sounded like banging, on his door. 

"Hey! Stop it! You'll break my door." He rubbed his eyes and walked to his bedroom door.

"Wake up, you sleepyhead! Time for school!" The guy shouted from the other side.

He knew that voice.

"Baekhyun?" His mind was suddenly awake. He opened the door to see Baekhyun holding a bag of cookies and scowling at him. He shoved him inside the bathroom and started taking his jeans and shirt out from his closet to toss it to his face before closing the bathroom door. 

"Faster Yeol! I woke up early today to bake these, you are not making me late for school." 

Chanyeol was getting confused. Baekhyun was still talking to him after what happened yesterday? 

Wait, did he say school?

"I woke up early to bake these for you." He remembered that day. Baekhyun brought cookies for him the day after he confessed to Baekhyun. It was his response to his confession. Baekhyun's answer to everything was food. Cookies to be exact. “Sweets are not called sweet for nothing.” As he always says.

He looked around, he was in his old room, the room he spent his high school days in. Wasn't he in Kyungsoo's place last night?

 

"Yeol! What's taking you so long? These cookies are getting cold, I wouldn't want Kris to think I'm giving him 'no' as an answer." 

"Wah! He messaged me 'good morning love'. How sweet is that?" Baekhyun gushed showing Chanyeol the lighted up phone.

 

"Did you say Kris?" Chanyeol shouted from the bathroom. Everything seems crazy. He seems to be back in high school, back when he was just Baekhyun's best friend. He feels that he's back in the past, but it couldn't be? It's not possible, right?

 

"Yeah, the captain of the basketball team? The basketball team you're in? Kris Wu?" 

 

He remembered Kris, his team captain. He was in the basketball team only because he’s tall. As he looked back, Baekhyun doesn’t like watching the games. “But I’m playing.” He’d say and pout. Baekhyun would always answer, “So? We see each other everyday, and besides I don’t like watching sports you know that. It’s all violence and dribbling and what is the relevance of that?”  The only time Baekhyun ever watched a basketball game was right before he confessed and because he asked him to. He might be going crazy but it might just be that he's back, except something feels different. 

 

"Why would you bake Kris cookies?" He asked. He doesn't remember Baekhyun knowing Kris, being this close, he doesn't remember Baekhyun giving Kris cookies. He doesn’t remember this constricting feeling in his heart when Baekhyun mentioned baking something for Kris and not for him.

"Uhm, because he confessed to me last night? And I'm going to say yes!"

"He what???"