Chapter 4

What if

 

After a few weeks which consisted of memories Chanyeol remembers and totally new happenings, Chanyeol feels Baekhyun is drifting apart from him. He's always with Kris, on a date, going for lunch and even walking to school. The last of which leaves Chanyeol to walk by himself, everyday. He feels more alone now than ever. "Hey! Chanyeol! Wait up!" He looked up anticipating Baekhyun to be the one calling him but it was a different pair of eyes who were looking at him. He stops walking to wait for the other. "Hey Kyungsoo!" He smiled. A few years younger now than when he first met him, Kyungsoo looked good, even better, more radiant. He smiled wider while remembering the times they spent together. He revelled in the other's attention, care. Something Baekhyun cannot give when he needed it most.

"Heading to school?"

"Yeah."

"Why don't we walk together?" Kyungsoo asked.

They walked along to school side by side. Kyungsoo talked about their teachers, asking which ones are evil and which ones are good.

"You know, people here are nice. The school I went to before, students used to bully me."

"Why would they bully you?"

"Because I have big eyes. They used to call me an owl." Kyungsoo, despite the sad story he was telling, sounded cheerful. "But all is well now. There's no one bullying me here." 

"Don't worry, if anyone bullies you, tell me and we'll punch them until their eyes bulge."

Kyungsoo laughed and it sounded good in Chanyeol's ears. 

"Thanks! I'll remember that." 

They turned the corner to their school. Almost all the students were running in to reach the school on time. 

"Five more minutes! Let's go!" Kyungsoo took his hand and run with him. 

Kyungsoo didn't let go of his hands even after running into the gates. They walked to their classroom walking hand in hand, Kyungsoo telling him stories.

"Chany-" The person who called him, stopped. "Oh, hi Kyungsoo."

Chanyeol looked around to find Baekhyun looking at him and Kyungsoo and down to their still clasped hands. Chanyeol unclasped himself from Kyungsoo before facing Baekhyun again who looked shocked and was that hurt in his eyes? 

"Hi!" Kyungsoo replied. "Chanyeol, see you later. Nice to see you Baekhyun!" Kyungsoo walked into his classroom leaving Chanyeol alone with Baekhyun.

"Baekhyun." Chanyeol called out when Baekhyun was still looking to where Kyungsoo was standing a few seconds ago, looking preoccupied with thoughts. Chanyeol's heart leaped at the thought that maybe Baekhyun was jealous. 

"Yeah? Uhm...what was I...oh yah! Kris wants to invite you to his birthday party at his house later. You'll come right?" 

Kris. There goes that name again. Chanyeol should have known not to hope. He's becoming more delusional, the more emotional he was. 

"I don't know Baekhyun, I have assignments to do and I still have that science project to finish. You know I'm not as intelligent as you. I need to do it in advanced if I wanted to get a good grade." 

Baekhyun's face fell at Chanyeol's rejection and Chanyeol felt bad. He was still his best friend afterall. It was just his fault his heart can't take seeing Baekhyun with any other person but him.

"Y-you can tell him happy birthday from me!"

"Chanyeol please? I don't know anyone there, you probably know his friends more than I do. Please. Please."

Baekhyun looked so down that Chanyeol almost wanted to give up and go.

"Come on, I'll bring you cookies tomorrow! Your favorite! Chunky chocolate chips!" Then Baekhyun beamed at him. The smile he used to give him. The smile he always remembered. The smile that was for him and only him. All these years. And with that, how can he refuse? He knows his heart will suffer seeing Baekhyun and Kris together, when it should have been him by his side, but he also can't take seeing Baekhyun sad, imagining him alone and out of place at the party. 

"Fine. You have to give me a whole box of those cookies in exchange. And help me on my science project."

"Yey!" Baekhyun jumped up and wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's neck. And Chanyeol felt time slow down. In this moment, there was only him and Baekhyun. Baekhyun so close to him, he can smell his cologne. The same cologne he has been sleeping and waking up to every morning for the past five years. The same cologne Chanyeol bought Baekhyun on their first anniversary. The cologne that Chanyeol said was very sweet and very Baekhyun. "I miss you." He murmured on Baekhyun's neck and he felt tears threatening to fall. I miss us.

 "What?" Baekhyun asked, unwrapping himself from Chanyeol. 

Before Chanyeol can answer, the bell signalling the start of their classes, rang interrupting Chanyeol's thoughts.

"See you later Chanyeol! Don't forget Kris' party later! Bye!" Baekhyun waved and went to run into his class. 

Chanyeol walked into his own class with his thoughts still in turmoil.

His memories of what was then kept flooding into his mind. Their first date. Their first anniversary. Their walks together. All the time they spent on the phone talking nonsense or not talking at all. Their fights which led to nice make up kisses. Everything was changing. Their memories together fading into nothingness. Nobody will know of this memory. Nobody will remember because he's living in the past and it's all so different. 

 


Go back to chapter 3 because that's the new one haha

Next one is coming up. Give me a few minutes.