Chapter 2

What if

 

"He what???" Chanyeol froze in the bathroom. Kris confessed to Baekhyun? 

"I said he confessed...wait, I told you all these yesterday right???" Baekhyun's voice had a hint of irritation, he never liked repeating himself, not even for his best friend. 

"But...I...he...didn't I..." Chanyeol tried to form a coherent sentence. If this really was the past, wasn't I the one who confessed to him the day after we won the district championship? 

"What? I didn't understand a word you said, Yeol. Were you staring at Kyungsoo again that you didn't hear a word I said?" Baekhyun chuckled.

Chanyeol was still in his own world before the name Kyungsoo registered in his mind. "Kyungsoo?"

"Yeol, what is wrong with you today? Kyungsoo, the new student you've been crushing on for days now. Don't think I didn't notice, you ogle him everytime he passes by our seats. He's cute, I guess." Baekhyun started mumbling to himself, something about big eyes and white skin.

Kyungsoo? Classmate? But they were never classmates. Chanyeol met him at a convention last month. What kind of twist has fate in store for him?

He went out of the shower and saw Baekhyun smiling while texting on his phone, the same smile he had whenever they were texting each other in front of the other because they were cheesy like that. Used to be.

"Who're you texting?" Chanyeol asked. 

"Kris. He said to tell you that you have practice later and don't forget to bring your basketball clothes." Baekhyun answered without looking up from his phone. 

"At least look at me when you talk." He murmured to himself. 

"Hmmm what?" Baekhyun asked before he chuckled. "Kris says the funniest things!" Baekhyun laughed again then shook his head as if he was so amused of the joke. Chanyeol felt his jaw clench over the comment.

Yeol! You always say the funniest things! 

Kris this, Kris that, all along their walk together to school Baekhyun had been telling him stories of Kris or asking Chanyeol about Kris. Chanyeol could see dark clouds hanging over him. Kris was his friend, his captain in the court but he can live without hearing his name so early in the morning, thank you very much. 

"Yeol," Baekhyun stopped and faced Chanyeol. Chanyeol's heart leaped out of his chest because of the sudden seriousness in Baekhyun's voice.

"Yes, Baek?" Chanyeol nervously asked back. Maybe the past he known to be would come back.  

"Thanks!" Baekhyun said before he hugged him.

"For what?" 

"For introducing me to Kris. For encouraging me to consider him. He's...He's perfect, I couldn't ask for more." Baekhyun smiled the way he always smiled when he was genuinely happy, and whenever Chanyeol tells him he loves him. Chanyeol could hear something break inside him. Baekhyun's words seem to be from far away. All these smile, all the laughs wasn't for him anymore. And it hurt. He didn't know it could hurt this much. And to find out it was his own doing, his own fault. How could fate play him like this?