Nine

Nothing's Over

“I’m so sick of being here. Take me home.”

One week has passed since Taemin got into the hospital and the poor boy was near despair. He had to stay still all day and the hours seemed to only pass when his friends were visiting him. Now, Taemin was trying to convince Kibum that he was already good to go home and ask the doctor to give him permission to do so. But, knowing Kibum, he wouldn’t be that easy to persuade.

“Not a chance, Taemin. Your rib had almost fractured.” The older shook his head, sitting cross-legged on the end of the bed. “I think you still need more time here.”

“More time? Do you know for how long I’ve been here? One week, umma, one week!”

“I know, I know. But what if you-”

“You can’t go in there, sir!”

Kibum was interrupted by a nurse’s voice, which made them both arch their brows.

“The patient has already a visit with him! You need to wait.”

“I know he has and that’s why I need to enter this room, right now.” Jonghyun retorted, exalted. “Let me in!”

Kibum got up from the bed upon recognizing Jonghyun’s voice and walked to the door, opening it, revealing the poor nurse with her arms stretched to the sides, trying to prevent the other from reaching the door. When she noticed that the door was already open, she turned to Kibum and bowed.

“What’s going on?”

“Kibum!”

“Kibum-ssi, I was just telling him that he can’t enter the room if you’re already there, like you’ve asked me but he won’t listen to me.”

“Let me enter this room, right now, Kim Kibum.”

The blond rolled his eyes and throw a kind smile to the nurse: “That’s okay, he can enter now but thank you anyway.”

She giggled and began to walk and just as she did so, Jonghyun grabbed Kibum’s wrist and pulled him to the inside of the room, closing the door behind him. He waved at Taemin and then turned his full attention at the other male in front of him.

Before Key could manage to say a word, he felt Jonghyun’s arms close around him, making him gasp. He really wasn’t expecting this. He was expecting a lot of things but not this. So, when Jonghyun pulled away, he was still shocked and remained still.

“I’m sorry, Kibum, I’m so sorry.”

Those words seemed to bring him back to reality: “What? What are you talking about? I don’t understand.”

“Minho… He told me everything.” Jonghyun confessed, still holding the blond. “I was such an , I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have said those things. Can you forgive me?”

Key blinked a lot of times and didn’t seem capable of forming a sentence at the moment.

“Hum, hello? Someone cares to enlighten me on what is going on?” Taemin tried to make his presence notice, waving his hands but neither of them looked at him. “Fine. Leave me here without knowing anything.”

Jonghyun was still looking expectantly at his childhood friend, waiting for his reaction.

“What… I-I told Minho that wasn’t your fault. It wasn’t anyone’s fault.”

“It was! We couldn’t even tell what was going on with you.” He said, furiously, hugging him again. “I’m sorry, Kibummie. For everything. I-I… I shouldn’t-”

“Are you crying?” Kibum asked, feeling his shirt wet and trying to pull the other out of him. “Jonghyun, are you really crying? Don’t do that! You know I can’t watch you cry.  Jonghyunnie…” He called, for the first time in five years, running his hands through the other’s back. “Everything’s okay, don’t cry, please.”

“But they hurt you. And we didn’t do anything about it.”

“It’s okay now, hyung. It doesn’t matter anymore.”

After Jonghyun calmed down and stopped crying, the two of them proceed to tell Taemin everything that had happen and the reason why Kibum left them without saying anything. All that he said was that he always knew that Kibum had a crush on Minho, one that was pretty obvious. He was actually surprised to realize that not Onew or Jonghyun noticed it.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door and three of them turned to see Taemin’s doctor enter the room with a smile. “Taemin, I have good news. You can go home today.”

“Really?”

“Are you sure? Don’t you think it’s a little too soon?”

“What are you saying, umma? Of course it’s not!” Taemin said, getting out of the bed, starting to pack his things. “Thank you a lot, doctor!”

The old man just laughed and exited the room, leaving the three of them alone. Kibum then noticed that Taemin was doing all by himself and quickly ran to him, helping him. An hour later, they were already leaving the hospital and Jonghyun was helping Taemin in the backseat of Kibum’s car. He then entered the car too and the blond guy drove them to Taemin’s house.

During the all trip, Taemin and Jonghyun didn’t shut up and the first one even called Onew and Minho telling them the news so when they arrived at the younger’s house, the other two were already there.

“Taemin!” Onew shouted, running to them, opening the car’s door and helping him get out. “How are you? Does it still hurt?”

“No, everything’s okay, hyung.”

Jinki smiled and patted him: “That’s good. Let’s get inside, then.”

All of them followed Jinki, who was supporting Taemin, and soon after the five were inside the house. While everyone was at ease, Kibum was feeling a little uncomfortable since he wasn’t used to be alone with them anymore. When Jonghyun noticed this, he approached him, throwing his arm around the blond’s shoulders.

“Come on, Kibummie, talk to us.”

“I don’t-”He was interrupted by his cell phone ringing. Arching his brow when he saw his cousin’s name on the screen, Kibum answered the call.

“Yoboseyo? Hyoyeon noona? Of course it’s Kibum.” They saw him roll his eyes. “What? What happened to grandma? No, no! I’ll catch the next train or bus or whatever!” He exclaimed, sitting on the couch. “Wouldn’t be better to take her to hospital? Okay, I understand. Tell her I’ll be there. Bye.”

Kibum disconnected the call and sighed.

“Kibum?” Minho asked. “What happened?”

“My grandma is sick, I need to go to Busan as soon as possible.”

“WE’RE GOING TO BUSAN?” Taemin shouted, jumping with excitement. “Ouch.” He said, feeling a slight pain.

Kibum shook his head and got up: “No. I’m going.”

“You can’t go alone!”

“I’ll take Kai with me, hyung.” Key informed looking at his watch. “I have to go now. Don’t hurt yourself even more Taemin, I will call every day. Bye!”

They all watch him run out of the house and close the door behind him and then they heard Taemin giggle. Minho, confused, approached the younger and putted his hand on his forehead but his hand was batted away.

“I’ll call Kai and ask him at what time they’re going. That way we can go with him.”

 

**

“What are you guys doing here?”

That was the first words they’ve heard from Kibum on the next day, when all of them joined him and Kai on the train station.

“We’re going with you, Kibum.”

“You… you what? No!”

“Oh, hi hyungs!” Kai greeted them, feigning surprised. “What are you guys doing here?”

Kibum laughed, ironically and approached the younger, grabbing his ear lobe: “Don’t play dumb with me, young man. I know it was you.”

“But umma…”

“No buts, you can’t do this.”

Taemin who was watching the scene and beginning to feel guilty, grabbed Kibum’s arm: “It’s my fault, umma, I insisted.”

“Then I hope you two don’t bother me anymore until the end of this trip.”

Taemin and Kai let out screams of joy and hugged Kibum who began to flip his arms around, annoyed. He released himself from them and ran to the train, taking his place, still looking displeased with the outcome of the situation although they all knew that that wasn’t exactly true.

After a few minutes, they all went inside the train that was going to take them to Busan. Kibum watched them approached him and was wanting for Kai to sit next to him but his mouth dropped open when the boy sat next to Taemin, looking really happy with that. Since that was the case, it meant that he would be paired up with Minho and he really didn’t want that. Not after what happened last week. What was he thinking when he kissed him? Clearly, he was out of his mind. Minho was his teenage crush, five years passed since then and he had no feelings for him anymore. Right? So why couldn’t he stop thinking about it?

“Can I put my bag here?”

Kibum still a little immersed in his thoughts, nodded, without fully realizing who was talking to him. When he did, though, it was like something has pinched him and he got up in a jump, bumping his head into Minho’s chin. The latter let out a groan and clutched his chin, with his eyes closed.

“Oh god, Minho, I’m so sorry. You scared me.” He scolded, trying to see the damage by grabbing the other’s face. “You shouldn’t move around like a ninja! I haven’t heard you.”

“Well, I was talking to you but you didn’t answer. Damn, it hurts like hell, Kibum.”

Kibum frowned and smoothly rubbed the reddening spot: “It’s going to be okay, I guess, it’s just a little red.” He sighed before noticing how close he was to the other and quickly stumbled back. “Do you want to sit?”

“Hum. I’m actually sitting with Jonghyun hyung.”

“What? Why isn’t he sitting with Jinki hyung?”

Before Minho could answer, Jinki passed through them and took the place at the window, sighing: “It’s a long story.”

“We have time.” Kibum simply said while he sat next to his hyung, throwing a glance to Minho who was already sitting at Jonghyun’s side. “What’s wrong?”

 

                “Oh, I like it when you’re rough on me, Jinki.” Jonghyun said, falling on the bed, after being pushed by his boyfriend. “It excites me.”

                Onew grinned and lowered his body, creating invisible paths with his nose on Jonghyun’s neck: “Yeah, Jjongie? I know, that’s why I-”

                Before he could finish the sentence, the ringtone of his cellphone was heard. Onew was preparing to get up only to be prevented from doing so when Jonghyun’s legs closed around him.

                “Not this again. Can’t you just ignore it?”

                “What if is-” He had to stop when the smaller rolled his hips against his own. “Jjongie… It will take just a second, I promise.”

                Jonghyun groaned and set him free: “Okay. But don’t take too long or the mood is going to be off.”

                Jinki giggled and pecked him on the lips, getting up. He ran to his phone and answered the call. “Hi? Oh, Luna, it’s you!” He made an apologetic smile to the one still leaning on the bed and slowly began to leave the room: “Of course I can talk, you know I always have time for you.”

                While Onew’s voice was dispersing, Jonghyun’s anger and jealousy was rising. What the hell was wrong with that Luna girl? Always calling at the most unfortunate hours! And what’s with that gentle tone from Onew? He was nice to all the people but to Jonghyun seemed like he was being extra nice to her.

                Tossing and turning on the bed and stuffing a fist on his mouth to not to scream from frustration, Jonghyun didn’t even noticed that the other was back to the room.

                “Jjongie? What are you doing?”

                He was a little startled and quickly sat up on the bed, crossing his arms: “Oh, you’re back.”

                “I told you it would be quick, didn’t I?” Onew tried to kiss him but he turned his head to the other side and got up: “Is there something wrong?”

                Jonghyun laugh, mockingly, and shook his head, picking a bag from under the bed, beginning to put some of his stuff inside: “Yes! There is something wrong! That girl!”

                “What… Luna? What’s wrong with her? She’s one of the sweetest people I know.”

                “She’s so sweet that she keeps interrupting our time together.”

                “What?” Onew asked, completely confused. “What are you doing, Jonghyun? Why are you packing things?”

                “I’m sleeping at Minho’s tonight.” He informed. “And tomorrow. Maybe forever, who knows!”

                Onew finally got up from the bed and walked to him, grabbing his arm: “This is ridiculous, Jonghyun. In case you haven’t noticed, you’re a guy which means I’m gay.”

                “This has been going on through the whole week, Jinki and I’m done.”

                The other blinked a few times and let go of his arm, seeing Jonghyun walking out of the room: “What do you mean with you’re done? You can’t leave, Jonghyun, you know I love you.”

                “Do you?”

                “Jjongie, you can’t be serious!”

                Jonghyun looked at him already with his hand around the front door’s knob: “I’m dead serious, Jinki. Have a good night.”

                “Jonghyun!”

 

“He just left like that? Is he stupid or what?” Kibum asked, after hearing the whole story. “What the hell? I’m gonna talk to him and-”

“No, Kibum!” Onew pleaded, grabbing him. “Don’t do that. I’ll talk to him later. Let him calm down a little.”

The blond rolled his eyes and sighed, loudly: “He’s being an idiot. How can he be jealous of a girl?”

“I love him so much.” The older confessed, looking through the window. “Why can’t he see that? There’s no one else in my heart besides him.”               

“Ew, hyung, that’s a little too cheesy.” Upon seeing the frown on the other, he smiled, pushing Onew into a hug. “Don’t worry, he’ll come around. If he doesn’t, I’ll beat him up again.”

Although Onew laughed a bit with the last part, he couldn’t help some tears from falling through his eyes. He even tried to hide them but Kibum was ahead of him and quickly catch the stubborn tears with his thumbs, letting him rest his head on his skinny shoulder. He kept mumbling that everything was going to be okay until Jinki fell asleep and eventually started to believe in the blond’s words.