Twelve

Nothing's Over

“I can’t believe you’re already leaving, Kibummie.” In Hee said while she had his grandson in her arms. “Are you sure you boys don’t want to stay for another week?”

“We would love to but we can’t, grandma.”

She sighed, still not letting the boy go: “I just wished you lived near me so I could see you every time I wanted to.”

“I know; me too.” Kibum confessed, pulling back to look at her. “I’ll miss you.”

In Hee hold him tightly one more time before she completely let go of him, starting to hug the other five boys also squeezing their cheeks. At the same time, Hyoyeon was molesting Kibum, punching him countless times in the arm and yet, he didn’t whined. He knew this was how she demonstrated that she cared.

“Don’t be a brat to your friends, okay?”

He scoffed and rolled his eyes: “You should be telling them that, not me.”

“Oh, our poor Bummie, he’s so well behaved and innocent.”

“Yah! Stop mocking me or do you want me to tell grandma that I saw you going out at night yesterday?”

The girl widened her eyes and then growled: “I was right, you’re a brat. Go home, then, I don’t want to see you here anymore.”

“I’ll miss you too, noona.” He said, with a smile, pulling the girl’s body towards his. “Call me if you need anything.”

Hyoyeon pulled away, nodding before giving Kibum a little push, making him stumble backwards. After giving her a glare, the blond turned around and grabbed his bag, putting it behind his back, while the others did the same thing. He approached his grandmother again and hugged her one more time.

“Take good care of my Kibummie, boys.” She said, when they started to head to the train. “You need to eat more, son, you’re too thin!”

Jonghyun laughed and nodded: “Don’t worry, we’ll make sure he eats a lot!”

“Aish, shut up, you idiot.” Kibum growled, grabbing the other’s arms, turning around to smile at his grandmother, waving. “I don’t want the whole station to know about this conversation.”

Waving at In Hee and Hyoyeon one more time, the boys entered the train. Taemin was the first one to sit down and Kai quickly ran to his side, sitting as well. Key watched, horrified, as Jonghyun and Jinki sat together in front of the other two. He paused, midway, only to have Minho bumping into him.

“Are you insane?”

“Excuse me? You were the one who stopped in the middle of the corridor, in case you haven’t noticed.”

Kibum sighed and closed his eyes, frustrated, stepping to the side: “Go on then, have your sit.”

“What are you talking about? You’re sitting with me.”

“Why should I?”

Minho rolled his eyes and grabbed the blond’s wrist, making him sit next to him.

“Was that so hard?” He asked, and let go of Kibum’s wrist after seeing him struggle to get himself free. “What’s wrong with you?”

“Nothing.”

“It’s not nothing; you’re acting weird.”

“No, I’m not!” He snapped, turning to look at the window.

Kibum heard him sigh once more and felt Minho’s hand on his arm, making him flinch: “It’s only with me, though. Did I do something wrong? Or is this… is this about the other day when you-”

“Stop!” The blond said before Minho could finish his sentence. “Just stop talking, please.”

“But tell me.”

“Yes! Yes Minho, it’s about the other day.” He confessed, looking at the other boy. “Will you shut up, now?”

Without knowing what to do, Minho only turned to the front, blinking while Kibum took a long breath and rested his head on the window, closing his eyes and hoping for the trip to pass quickly. However, what they didn’t notice was how Taemin and Kai were shaking their heads upon hearing the whole conversation.

The two boys turned to Jonghyun and Jinki but only to find the last one with his head on the other’s shoulder, both of them with closed eyes and steady breaths. Taemin tried to control his giggles by leaning his mouth against Kai’s arm which made the boy widened his eyes.

“Are you okay?”

Taemin pulled away, still laughing: “Hm, yes. Sorry about that.”

“Don’t apologize, you looked cute, hyung.”

“Ah, Jongin.” The boy pouted. “Don’t call me hyung, I have already told you that.”

“You’re right, you look even younger than me.”

Taemin gasped: “I do not! I’m pretty mature for my age.”

Kai snorted and looked at the side, letting a few chuckles escape his lips. When he turned back to Taemin, he found the later much more closer than he was before. Taemin wasn’t expecting this either because he seemed pretty surprised himself but something wasn’t letting him pull back from the other. He looked at Jongin, trying to understand what was the other thinking but when he tried to look at him in the eye, Taemin noticed how his stare was focused on his lips and he was slowly approaching him. Blinking countless times, like he always did when he was nervous, Taemin suppressed his breath but titled his head to the side a little while Kai continued to eliminate the distance between them.

However, before they could touch each other’s lips, Jonghyun snored loudly, startling the two of them. Taemin quickly got back to his seat, sitting correctly while Kai did the same, looking around to see if anyone saw them. When he was sure that no one did, he looked at Jonghyun, finding him still sleeping with his mouth open, and Jinki, who was opening his eyes, looking confused.

“Is there something wrong?”

Both Taemin and Kai shook their heads: “No, nothing’s wrong.”

“Where are we?”

“Still far from home, you can go back to sleep, hyung.”

Onew smiled, foolishly and closed his eyes again, snuggling into the warm body of his boyfriend after closing Jonghyun’s mouth by pushing his chin up with his finger.

Kai watched him go back to sleep and looked at Taemin but just as he was about to open his mouth to talk, Key’s head popped from above the seats, making him jump. The blond looked bored but when he spared a glance to the other two in from of them, his expression changed.

“Look at Jonghyun hyung. What an idiot.”

He said, pointing at the other who had his mouth wide open again. “They look cute together though, I’m glad everything is okay between them again.” Kibum confessed with a smile. “I should be proud of myself since I was the one who… What’s wrong with you two?”

“Hm? Nothing!”

“Yeah, nothing is wrong.” Jongin agreed with Taemin. “Why do you ask?”

“Because you are sitting far away from each other when usually you are like glue. Not to mention that both of you are blushing.” Suddenly, Kibum was smirking. “Did something happen?”

Before any of them could answer, they heard Kibum cry in pain and he was gone from their sight just as quickly as he had appeared. They could hear him nag at the back, probably with Minho but this time they didn’t dare to look, trying to eliminate any possibility of bringing their heads close once again.

The rest of the train trip was done in complete silence except for a few moments where Minho and Key would nag at each other. Taemin was trying his best to not to think about what was about to happen between him and Jongin but that turned out to the a little difficult since every time he closed his eyes, all he could see was the other boy’s face inches away from his. Worse, he was even picturing the following events which made his cheeks burn.

When they finally arrived, Kibum was the first one to got up and exit the train, followed by Minho.

“Are you sure it will be safe to go back to your house?”

“Don’t worry about me, worry about yourselves. I don’t want you guys near the neighborhood, okay?”

The taller boy sighed: “But what if we want to see you? I told you already that I’m not letting go of you again.”

“God, Minho.” He hissed, gritting his teeth. “Stop saying embarrassing stuff.”

Jonghyun appeared, out of nowhere, and thrown his arm around the blond’s shoulders letting him support all his weight.

“Don’t be a meanie, Kibum. Minho is just letting out his feelings; you shouldn’t be like that to him.”

“Get off me, you’re heavy.”

“You guys hurt my feelings being like this.” Jonghyun frowned and looked at both Kibum and Jinki, running to the later in the next second. “You also said that I was heavy when we were in the hammock the other day.”

“Ew, I only now got out of the train and I want to go back already.” Taemin said, bending over himself as if he was going to throw up. “Seriously, hyung, save your comments about your intimate life with Onew hyung to yourself. We really don’t need to know about it.”

While everyone broke out in laughter, Jonghyun was left speechless: “Do you-Yah! Why are you all laughing? Didn’t you saw how he talked to me? There’s no respect these days.”

“Come on, guys, let’s just go home.”

After reaching their cars, all of them parted from each other but not before they made Kibum promise to answer their calls when they tried to talk to him. Reluctantly, the blond boy agreed and the other four quickly hugged him, getting inside of Onew’s car as fast as possible.

Kibum and Jongin also entered their car and were in complete silence for most of the time until the younger one broke it.

“I like your friends, umma.”

Kibum giggled: “Yeah, specially Taemin.”

“What? What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Oh, come on, don’t play dumb with me. I saw you looking at him.” He slightly pushed the boy with his elbow. “You like him, don’t you? Come on, Jongin, admit it! I know you do. Come on, come on, come on”

“Alright, alright!” Kai snapped, looking embarrassed. “It’s true, I do like him.”

“I knew it, I knew it! See? You can’t fool your umma.”

Jongin nodded and then smirked: “Yeah, I guess so. But my umma can’t fool anyone either.”

Kibum snapped his head towards the boy which made him widen his eyes. “Eyes on the road!   

“What do you mean?” He asked after turning to the front, hesitantly.

“Well, I also saw the way you look at Minho-hyung and, let me tell, it’s pretty much different from the way you look at all the people.”

Kibum thought about that for a while, at the same time he started to look for a place to park the car. He knew Kai was right, he had seen pictures before that confirmed it. But that was five years ago. He shouldn’t look at Minho like that anymore. He should be able to look at Minho and see him as a friend, because that was what he ever was and what he is. Not someone who Kibum was stupidly in love with because five years were enough to change that feeling. Or, at least, that was what he thought.

That turned out to be wrong because the second he had put his eyes on Minho again, all those feelings resurfaced and although he tried to deny them, there was no more purpose in doing so. Because yes, Kim Kibum was still in love with his best friend after not seeing him for a long time.

As soon as this realization hit him, the blond sighed and brought himself back to reality, noticing that he was already out of the car, walking to their building with Kai at his side, looking at him like he was crazy. Kibum shook his head and smiled at the boy, who didn’t immediately smile back.

“You lost yourself there for a while, didn’t you?”

Kibum laughed and rolled his eyes but before he could retaliate, a deep voice was heard: “Oh, you’re back in town, Key?”

“Yongguk.”

“You went on a little vacation with your friends? How is that kid? What was his name again?” Yongguk laughed, throwing his head back. “Well, I was a little busy at the time to ask for his name.”

“You stupid !” Kibum suddenly yelled, walking to the older one, pointing at him. “Never lay a finger on Taemin again, do you hear me?”

“Or what?” He yanked Key forward into his body, grabbing him by his collar. “I’m not afraid of you, Key. You should be the one afraid.”

The blond scoffed, showing confidence he know he didn’t have at the moment, and tried to set himself free from the other’s grip: “Of you? Why?”

“Look, Kibum, I warned you once. Or twice, if you want to consider the present I gave to your friend as a warning.” Yongguk pressed his forehead to the other’s. “I’m not saying this again. I don’t want those city boys around here. If I see them again, you can be sure the outcome will be far worse than what was with that kid. Are we clear?”

He didn’t wait for Kibum’s answer, letting go of him harshly, making the blond wobble. Jongin was quick to catch him or else he would be on the floor. The both of them watched as Yongguk’s back was disappearing from their sight until they couldn’t see him anymore. Kibum, then, turned to Kai and smiled at him, securely.

“Let’s go home.”