New Beginnings

Dream High 3 (Love High 2025)

 

MEMORIES FLOWS

 

He had put on his goofy grin, spilling some champagne on her expensive carpet and then announced, “Shall we drink?” She nodded, taking her glass to her lips and together, they gulped down their champagne in one shot. The first champagne they shared was a toast to the inevitable. It was the end of their hope of having another chance at the one relationship they could never forget.

Her hands trembled badly as she picked the card from her mailbox, recognising instantly the scent on it. Hugo Boss. It was his. The shape and writing on the card was enough for her to confirm its contents.

Church. White gown. Wedding bells. Someone was getting married and she knew for sure that it was not Nana or Ailee. Nana and Siwoo may have been going strong for the past several years but knowing Siwoo, it would take him another two more years before he actually puts a ring on her former group member. Ailee, on the other hand, was currently enjoying, what she claimed, the independent life of a single woman.

 

Just then, she heard the door cracked open. Her eyes widened, she quickly stuffed the card into a nearby drawer, and turned around to face a weary Yoo Jin. She opened to speak but he beat her to it, “I’m going to take a nap, I just spent five hours having water thrown at me when it was minus 12 degrees ... that’s what I get from listening to you to pick that useless director.”She carved a relieved smile and retorted, “What did I say about your artistic creativity? It’s non-existent and you’re better off trusting me in this area than trusting your own instincts!”

She had no idea why she was relieved at the fact that Yoo Jin seemed clueless about the invitations. Perhaps Haesung did not send an invitation at all. It did make sense though; JB owed her an invitation as a former colleague and friend while Yoo Jin and Haesung remained awkward with each other.

Waving his hand dismissively, a sign of defeat, Yoo Jin left her for the comfort of his bedroom. Closing the door behind him, he lazily removed his black t-shirt and sunk into his king-sized bed. Meanwhile, she retrieved the card and delicately opened it. She gave it a quick read. The wedding was next week. The televised one was two weeks from now while the small ceremony for friends and family was in five days time.

 

And since Yoojin was her best lie detector she didn’t have any other choice. t that instant, before she ... chickened out. Besides, she had a plan well formed. Given that Yoo Jin never locks his door, she will attempt to barge into his bedroom, announcing that there’s a card for him, telling (or yelling) at him to read it and quickly bolt away from the room. And maybe comeback to see his reaction later on.

Bracing herself for the incoming annoyed Yoo Jin, she whispered repeatedly as if it was some kind of incantation, “You are Rian, an A-list actress, and he’s just Jin Yoo Jin. He’s not going to harm you, he cannot harm you and if he does, do what you have to do to save yourself.” After gaining confidence, she did exactly as she had planned.

Pushing the door open, she exclaimed, “Yah, sleepyhead! There- before she could finished her sentences, he cut her off, snapping, “Rule no. 5!”He rose from his bed, covering his body swiftly with the pillows and throwing daggers at her direction.

“Screw rule no. 5! I have something for you. Here, read this,”she huffed, tossed the card at him, turning the heels, pacing to the door. He hastily made a grab at the card, all color from his face drained. Just before the clicking of the door, he heard her uttered softly, “I don’t want to lie to you, but I don’t want to be the person to tell you either.”

Forward to this day, she never really knew what happened in his bedroom after he read the card. All that she remembered was hearing the sound of a mirror being smashed. That was more than enough to repel her from stepping a meter near his bedroom. It was only until he initiated any questions that she was confident his anger had dissipated.

She was so engrossed watching her latest new obsession, a high-school themed drama that she failed to notice Yoo Jin took a seat next to her. She dug her hand into the popcorn bowl, took a handful and gingerly stuffed them into .

“Why is she crying?”

“She’s pregnant,” came the reply. He scoffed.

“That’s not a really good reason to cry, is it?”

She snorted very un-lady-like, “She’s 18 and pregnant. Of course there is a valid reason to cry. Plus, she just broke up with her boyfriend.”

His face scrunched into more confusion. “She’s crying because she broke up with her boyfriend and he doesn’twant to be responsible for the baby?”

“No, she already broke up with her boyfriend before she found out she’s pregnant. It’s just that she doesn’twant to sacrifice her dreams to be a musician, because of one little mistake.”

“I don’t get this drama. It’s too complicated for me. Why don’t you watch something like God of Study or Miss Ripley?” 

She stared at him, appalled at his choices of drama.

“What’s wrong with Jungle Fish? It’s interesting. Speaking of complicated dramas, Miss Ripley is also another complicated one. And why are you here?” She inquired, gazing at him suspiciously.

“I was bored. So, I thought I watch something on the television,” he replied. With that, they both went back to the television. Yoo Jin glanced at her nervously, clearing his throat and leaned at the sofa, trying to make himself as natural as possible (though one can see it was a very artificial pose). “So, are you going?”

Rian shot him a puzzled look, “Going where?”

“The ceremony this Friday,” he replied, briskly. “Yeah, I am. So?”

“Nothing, just wondering. Who’s your plus one?” Yoo Jin solicited, sneaking a brief glance at her.

She shrugged. “I’m not sure. I am thinking of going solo. Why? You want to be my plus one?” said a snickered Rian.

“What? Me, no! That woman is getting married to another man,” he spat.

 She just shrugged her shoulders, “Okay, fine. It’s settled then. I am going alone.” At her answer, his face fell. “Are you sure you don’t want to bring another person with you? Wouldn’t that be awkward?” he tried once again. It was clearly written on his face he wanted to go.

 Rian smirked, “Well, I was just about to ask yo-

“You did? Sure, my answer is yes,” he beamed with smile, putting his finger on her lips, “There is no need for more words. The rock star is here to save you from the embarrassment of going to your-ex’s wedding alone.”

 

She would always treasure the look on JB’s face when he saw her linking arms with Yoo Jin as they walked into the church together. They went under an alias, Jung Jinwoon and Park Jiyeon, to throw off the paparazzi from creating unwanted tabloids. Most of the A-list stars did the same, including Siwoo and Nana, taking the alias of Seo Jung Youn and Hyorin. She must admit, with past feelings aside and their history together, the wedding was beautiful. Haesung resembled a princess (the white dress would have looked better on her though) and JB, in his simple black tuxedo, radiating handsomely. And they sort of ... matched each other well.

Two weeks later, KBS finally premiered the documentary of JB and Haesung’s wedding, with a complimentary a three hours drama special, dramatized version of their high school romance. “Hurry up!” Rian called out to Yoo Jin, who was trying to juggle two popcorn bowls, two wine glasses and a bottle of champagne. “I’m coming!”

“What’s taking you so long?” she yelled.

“Woman! Are you blind? Can’t you see these things I’m holding?” he barked. Finally, after settling down on the sofa, Yoo Jin poured the champagne into the glasses and handed one to her.

“This is it. You and I are officially free from being tied to past relationships. Let’s face it; they are always going to be the “one that got away”. So, a toast?” He held his glass up, beaming with his grin. She wiped a fat tear away and then carved her own smile.

“Yes, a toast.”

Just then, the camera panned on the two of them, sitting more closely (than they should) to each other and the moment where she squeezed his arm tight when the bride and groom kissed and he just patted her hand gently was captured. The next thing they heard was the announcer with huge Cheshire smiles, “They do seemed closer than they should be, don’t you think so?”

“Maybe, there seemed to be some basis on the rumors of a certain actress and a famous rock star dating, after all.” “Yes, you are right. Now, we’ll just have to wait and see.”

That wedding happened before they announced to the public their fake affair. And who wouldn’t think that there play times, as a fake couple will end as a real life husband & wife now.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Special thanks to Gehrel for "Romeo N Juliet" for this chapter