Chapter IX – I Chose You

Another Time, Another Place
 

Hyun Joong was silently smiling on his way home. His Noonas and manager eyed him curiously. “What?” he asked them, grinning from ear to ear. “Somebody took some happy pills today,” his manager said, talking to no one in particular. He was obviously teasing him but he couldn’t care less, he was just too happy. He was staring at his phone looking at So Min’s number. He still couldn’t believe how pretty she was in person, and how sweet her lips tasted.

He remembered when the producer showed him the third batch of pictures of the actresses who have auditioned for the role of Hani. Unknown to many, he made it very clear to the production staff that he would have the final say in choosing the actress who will play the role. He already had the star power to choose who he wants to work with and his agency helped him exert that power.

There were a couple of idol girls on the list, a B-list actress, two newcomers and Jung So Min. He watched all their audition videos but he was particularly drawn to So Min who exuded confidence and yet seemed shy at the same time. ‘This girl is sweet,’ he mumbled to himself. She had chameleon-like features and can easily transform into an elegant lady as shown in her Bad Guy promo photos, yet, in her audition video, she looked every inch like the cute, half-stupid and clueless Oh Hani. “I’ll give you my answer in 2 weeks,” he told the producer. But he had already made up his mind.

He gave So Min’s photo to his manager and asked him to check her out—meaning hire a private detective to follow her, which is really an order to stalk the girl. His manager had no choice but to follow his instruction. With his current stature, Hyun Joong can have any girl he wants but he’s quite picky and would only go after girls he truly fancies. The media would have a field day if they learned about the number and identity of idol girls and actresses who have desperately thrown themselves at him to no avail.

His best friends were amazed at the way he treated these women. “You know, you can ask any of these women to sleep with you at least once and they’d be more than happy to oblige—at least, they’ll have something to remember you by, instead of crushing their hearts by completely ignoring them,” Jaejoong once advised him, half joking. But he would just give them a stern look every time they criticized the way he deals with the women running after him.

But this girl—So Min—he likes her. One look at her photo and he was smitten. And his admiration grew as the private detective revealed more information about her. She was smart, driven and strong-willed, sweet, but confident and has a bit of a rebellious streak. She comes from a very wealthy family and has a thing for really expensive, drop-dead gorgeous shoes.

One thing he doesn’t like was her fondness for wearing revealing clothes. She’s very fashionable but it’s quite evident that she doesn’t wear short shorts and micro-mini skirts to look y or to attract attention. She just knows what works for her petite frame and you could tell she really just likes dressing up. He was staring at the photos the detective left when he noticed one where So Min was wearing really short shorts, laughing heartily while sitting at an outdoor café with a guy. ‘This is another thing I need to learn to deal with,’ he thought. The detective said it appears that So Min has never had a real romantic relationship but she has a lot of guy friends and at least three of them have admitted to being attracted to her.  She’s physically attractive and has a very charming, sweet and bubbly personality—a woman who’s not afraid to laugh out loud and be vocal about her opinions. She was truly a guy magnet. But she was not the type who would give herself freely to just any man.

Today, after finally meeting her, Hyun Joong became even more determined to make her his.

@@@@@

So Min started to have a real headache as soon as she entered her bedroom. She was just faking it earlier to avoid Hyun Joong. But after recalling the events of the day her head started throbbing. She still can’t believe she just had her first kiss. And that Hyun Joong took her first kiss just like that! After accepting Hani’s role she has resigned herself to the fact that Hyun Joong will end up being her first kiss but she never expected it to happen the way it did.

Her phone rang; she looked at it and recognized Hyun Joong’s number. She hesitated before answering, determined to use the opportunity to give him a piece of her mind. “Hello.”  “Hi, Honey. How’s your headache? I hope you’re feeling better now,” a cheery Hyun Joong said at the other line. “No, I am not feeling any better and stop calling me Honey. It’s a good thing you called because I want to warn you to stop harassing me or I’ll back out of this project,” So Min said sternly, knowing she has an ace up her sleeve. The project almost did not push through because Hyun Joong couldn’t find a suitable drama partner, leaving the producers exasperated.  “Really, you’ll back out of this project? Isn’t this your biggest break so far? Besides, don’t you think it’s too early in your career to commit professional suicide?” Hyun Joong replied, hiding his amusement at So Min’s feistiness.

“I don’t care, I’m not hungry for fame and money,” So Min replied instantly, surprising Hyun Joong. ‘This girl’s really different,’ he muttered to himself. “Next time we meet, if you touch me again, I’ll make a fuss and cry harassment. Don’t try me, Kim Hyun Joong,” So Min warned. “Relax, Honey, I’m sorry if you feel like I’m harassing you. I just can’t stop myself; I’m really attracted to you. I’m a good guy, I’ll show you, just give me the chance to get close to you, okay?” Hyun Joong said, his voice suddenly sounded like he was pleading. It was never his intention to force her to be with him, it’s just that he’s not really used to pursuing girls the normal way and he tends to get too obsessive when he fancies someone.

But So Min took his words differently. “Ahh, I see now. Are you doing this to help you act? I mean, everyone knows that you can’t act even if you’re life depended on it. Is this something your acting coach taught you? Is this how he taught you to use the Immersion technique? Just be honest with me, I might be able to help you out,” So Min responded sarcastically.

A stabbing pain hit Hyun Joong’s chest as So Min said those words. “Is that how you see it? Fine. Believe what you want to believe,” he said and quickly hung up the phone. He felt insulted but it only made him more determined to successfully woo her.

So Min was still staring at her phone minutes after her conversation with Hyun Joong, guilt slowly building up inside her. She did not intend to be so mean to him; she just got carried away by her emotions. She was contemplating on calling him to apologize but then she remembered what happened earlier that day, making her angry once more.