Chapter VI – Love Scene

Another Time, Another Place

Everyone on the production team is starting to show signs of fatigue. The last three months went by in a blur. The shooting schedule has been very hectic. If they’re not cooped up inside the sound stage they’d be in the rehearsal studio training for the fight scenes and sci-fi shots that involved endless days acting while learning to balance hanging from a harness.

 

The Korean actors, So Min and Hyun Joong included, have realized early on that this production is not like any that they’ve worked on before in terms of the amount of work and dedication expected of them. Steven and his team are very meticulous, taking care to mind even the littlest details.  But while it is tiring, the exhilaration brought about by being part of such a big production has never worn off. Despite their aching bodies everyone was always inspired and happy to report on set every morning.

 

Today, they will be shooting some indoor shots including a few kissing scenes. So Min and Hyun Joong have shot several kissing scenes in the past weeks so the kissing scenes today would not be a big deal. Both have surprisingly been very professional about the whole thing, to their managers’ relief.

 

As soon as they got to the shooting site they were told to meet with Steven because he wants to make some last minute changes to the script. This surprised everyone because this is the first time that Steven has changed the script.

 

“I called you here because I want to make changes to the script. Instead of just a kiss I want to change it into an ardent love scene to better show how passionately in love the two characters are with each other, so that, later on, when the characters go though the scenes showing their emotional turmoil, the audience will have a stronger emotional connection to what’s happening,” Steven explained.

 

The scene required both So Min and Hyun Joong to shoot it from the waist up. So Min was taken aback but she has no choice but to agree. Steven assured her there won’t be any frontal shot of her s but she needs to be topless to make the scene look and feel authentic. And there would be less than 5 people in the room when they shoot the scene. When she auditioned for this role she has already prepared herself for such an eventuality, the only thing she did not prepare for was doing it with Hyun Joong.

 

Except for a few instructions on how to make sure they’re always showing the right angles to the cameras positioned in the room, Hyun Joong and So Min were given the freedom to act out the love scene on their own.  Hyun Joong took it upon himself to guide So Min during rehearsal. Because there were other people on the set, So Min had no choice but to act as professional about it as she could. But she was very nervous and scared about the whole thing. Hyun Joong sensed her nervousness as he held her in his arms, still fully clothed, during rehearsal. “Don’t be nervous, trust me and we’ll do this in one take. I’ll make sure to cover your side with my arms so your s won’t be exposed to the cameras. Just follow my lead, we can do this in one take, okay?” Hyun Joong whispered to her ear, as he slowly caressed her back to calm her. So Min silently nodded her head, but Hyun Joong’s actions and the way he looked at her unsettled her—reminding her of the Hyun Joong she knew—the over protective, sweet and caring person she fell in love with.   

 

Finally, it was time for the real take. Hyun Joong slowly removed his robe, revealing his fantastic moobs and six pack abs. The members of the staff gasped in awe. But So Min did not even notice him taking off his robe, her whole being was consumed by the fact that she has to disrobe in front of everyone, including Hyun Joong. Hyun Joong sensing her hesitance looked at her with quiet assurance that everything will be okay. So Min took off her robe and they started making out as soon as the director gave them the go signal. At first they were very professional about it, both concentrated on how to ensure that they were showing the right angles before the cameras. But the intensity of the scene eventually got to them and pretty soon they were giving in to their long-hidden hunger for each other. They’re lovemaking was so passionate and heartfelt, everyone on the set was amazed and surprised by their chemistry—well, everyone except their respective PAs who are both aware of their past relationship.   

 

“Cut. That was a great shot,” the assistant director said. They looked at each other very intently for a few seconds before drawing away from each other. Hyun Joong held the blanket to cover So Min as he slowly got up from the bed. His heart was pounding like crazy, it felt like it would burst out of his chest any minute. He snatched the bottle of water from his PAs hand and gulped it down in one go before making his way out of the room.

 

So Min grabbed the blanket as Hyun Joong handed it to her, covering her body and wishing to cover her heart as well. She knew, by the look in Hyun Joong’s eyes, that he knows her secret now. She can hide it from everyone, even from herself sometimes, but there was no way she can hide it from Hyun Joong after what just happened. Her secret has been exposed: she is still in love with him, even more so now than ever before.  

 

The rest of the day went by as usual. They shot many scenes together and separately. Neither appeared flustered by what happened earlier that day, they’re professional actors after all. By the end of the day both retreated to their respective rooms, physically and emotionally exhausted. So Min lay down on her bed trying to lull herself to sleep when she heard someone knocking on her door.

 

It was Hyun Joong.