Chapter XV - Maybe Next Time

Another Time, Another Place

If this were from a sick comedy movie then the scene that greeted So Min upon entering the room can be considered quite hilarious. Hyun Joong was desperately struggling against the huge Mr. Jeong who was doing his best to subdue him. But it seemed like the handsome bodyguard was trying to the very drunk Hyun Joong. To So Min, however, Hyun Joong looked nothing but pathetic, and she felt a bit guilty knowing she was the cause of Hyun Joong's nervous breakdown.

"Oppa, stop it!" Hyun Joong looked up upon hearing her frantic cry. "You...you're here!" He forcefully struggled out of Mr. Jeong's tight grasp and ran towards So Min. He hugged her tight and sobbed hysterically. "You're here, you're here... Please tell me you're staying, please tell me you won't leave me, So Min, Honey, please say you'll stay beside me," he begged her in between sobs. So Min was taken aback. This is the first time she's seeing him like this. It is so heart breaking for her to see him so vulnerable and helpless. She held him close to her chest and motioned the stunned bodyguard to leave them. As soon as they were alone in the room, So Min lifted Hyun Joong's head so he could look into her eyes. "Oppa, I'm here now, I promise I won't leave you okay, shhh, stop crying now. It's going to be alright," she cooed as she led him to the bed.

Hyun Joong tried his best to stop crying but he held on to So Min like a scared little child. At this point, So Min realized that he had totally lost it. She wanted to cry but reigned in her tears as she lulled the big man in her arms to sleep. As soon as he was sound asleep she cleaned him up and carefully changed his clothes. From time to time he would stir in his sleep and frantically search for her. She had to keep reassuring him of her presence. So Min lay down beside him and slept hugging him.

It was already past 9AM when So Min woke up the next day. She opened her eyes and saw the room in disarray, reminding her of what happened the night before. She looked for Hyun Joong but he was nowhere in sight. She got up and went to her suite to prepare for the day's shoot. She asked her manager about Hyun Joong and she was told that he was already at the other end of the island shooting his scenes. She tried to call him but his phone was off.

Unknown to her, Hyun Joong woke up in the middle of the night to find her sleeping beside him. He remembered the day's events and how he broke down upon seeing So Min being intimate with her fiancé. He looked around the room and was embarrassed to see the mess he made. He stared at her sleeping figure for a long time and silently cried as he came to the decision to let her go. He realized he was being unfair to So Min by forcing her to suddenly return to him like nothing happened. He knows that there's so much more at stake now for So Min than before. She can't just betray her family and her fiancé. She can't just throw away her career after all the sacrifices she made just to get to where she is now. Hyun Joong understands the consequences that she has to weigh before making a decision. She can't decide rashly. He knew this because he has had the same predicament many times before. He wants to be selfish and do things his way but it would be vey unfair to So Min. He has to let her go. If in the end she still wants to be with him then he would gladly accept her. But if she decides otherwise, then he has no choice but to accept it and just suffer in silence. He has already hurt her enough in the past. He would be merciless to hurt her again. So he has to let her go, despite the pain he will have to endure.

It was almost evening and So Min is almost done with her scenes but she still has not heard from Hyun Joong. She was starting to get worried. Just then her manager informed her that Hyun Joong returned to his suite about half an hour ago. She went to his suite as soon as she was done but she was stopped at the door by his manager. "He's sleeping now, after what happened last night I think it's best for us to just let him sleep. He had a tiring day. Just talk to him tomorrow," his manager said. Left without a choice, she turned back and went to her own suite.

The truth is, Hyun Joong specifically asked his manager not to let So Min see him. He is too ashamed to face her after what happened yesterday. He also does not want to see So Min because she is his Achilles heel. He had to strengthen his resolve first before he faces her again. If he sees her now he would just have the selfish urge to possess her again, and hurt her in the process.

Unfortunately, the two of them have to shoot the same scenes the following day. Hyun Joong coped by acting like it was his first time to work with So Min, not even bothering to greet her before the shooting started. This baffled So Min, but she couldn't confront him because they have work to do and there are too many people around them. It was already late in the evening by the time So Min finished her scenes. The whole production was rushing to finish the movie so it can be released according to schedule. Hyun Joong was already resting, and once again his manager refused So Min entry into his suite. "Hyun Joong-ah why are you doing this? I'm running out of excuses to tell her! Why are you ignoring her? I thought you want her back?" asked his confused manager. "It's better this way, Hyung. Just let me be," Hyun Joong dismissed his manager's questions.

Meanwhile, So Min was tossing and turning on her bed. She couldn't sleep because she has a nagging feeling Hyun Joong is deliberately ignoring her. She knew him well enough to know that he is probably remorseful for what happened the other day. But it wasn't enough reason for him to ignore her. She wants to know why he is doing this to her. This is so not like the Hyun Joong she used to know. She was actually expecting--in fact she was hoping, that he would start acting possessively towards her after what happened. That's what the old Hyun Joong would do. She is now willing to really consider getting back with him if that is what he really wants. After his outburst she knows that he still loves her dearly. She is willing to take whatever risk being with him involved.

The next morning So Min woke up early and waited for Hyun Joong to step out of his room. "Oppa, you're awake! Let's have breakfast together," she cheerfully and innocently said. "I don't feel like eating, besides they need me on the set now, I'll just have brunch later," he said hardly looking at her. "Are you ignoring me?" she asked as he walked past her.

"Isn't this what you wanted? I'm just giving you what you want," he said without turning to face her. He was trying very hard to control his emotions when he sadly said: "I'm letting you go." He walked faster, leaving her dumbfounded. It took a few seconds for everything to sink in, but as soon as she realized what was happening So Min ran after him and grabbed his arm. "Why are you doing this to me?! Why do you keep playing with my emotions? Just when I'm ready to give up everything just to be with you again, you start ignoring me? Does it make you so happy to hurt me?!" So Min could not control her emotions any longer and sobbed loudly.

Seeing her like this broke Hyun Joong's heart. He held her face and gently wiped away her tears with his thumb. "I'm sorry if I keep hurting you. Believe me when I say I never meant to hurt you. I'm sorry that I'm too complicated, I'm sorry that I make it so difficult for you just to be with me. I don't want to hurt you anymore. Your life would be so much better without me," he said as he let go of her and walked away.

So Min could only stare at his retreating figure. She spent the day like a zombie. Because she is a really good actress, no one noticed her heartache as she played out all her scenes excellently.

Hyun Joong, on the other hand, was back hiding behind his superstar persona.