The Press Conference

Another Time, Another Place

Eight months. That's how long it's been since Grandma's birthday. The biggest, most mysterious Hollywood-Korean movie will finally be shown. The producers decided to hold a special screening in Seoul before the movie is shown in Hollywood and the rest of the world.

Today, every actor involved in the movie is busy preparing for the first-ever press conference for "Love in P241." The story is set in P241, the 241st earth-like planet that was discovered by NASA. It's the only other planet apart from Earth that has been proven to be habitable for human beings. Hyun Joong and So Min play the roles of scientists who are among the first set of 10 couples from different countries tasked by a Global Union to live and raise families on the planet while giving feedback to Earth on how to make it more habitable for the rest of humanity, as the Earth's destruction becomes imminent in the next couple of centuries to come.

The movie is exciting not just because of the astounding special effects that were used to create a beautiful planet untainted by man's selfish ways, but also because of the plot involving the two lead characters. The two characters decided to accept the challenge to go to P241 in the hopes of saving their marriage, resulting in conflicts and scenarios that tug at the heart while igniting viewers' curiosity about what exists beyond the only world that they know. It's a convoluted race to save humanity that relies greatly on the strengths and weaknesses of the human spirit, as seen through the lives of the two characters.

Since everything has been shrouded in secrecy--until a week ago when invitations were sent out to the media for the movie's first Press Conference, the media spent the past few days angling and fighting to get exclusive interviews with the actors and practically every person rumored to be involved in the production. But they all remained elusive, thus building up even more excitement in the media and the public.

Months before, there were already rumors floating around that there is indeed a movie being cooked up by Steven's team and some big-shot Korean Production company, but the media were not able to prove anything. No one knows that So Min and Hyun Joong are involved in the movie. In the past four months the two have been busy working on their respective concert tours and product endorsement deals, so it will be a surprise to most people once they find out they are the movie's lead stars.

They wrapped up the shooting two months after Grandma's birthday. On their last shooting day the personal staff of the two lead actors decided to hold a party to celebrate and to somehow compel the two to finally talk to each other again. They have all become friends years before, during the shooting of Playful Kiss and while the the two were still a couple. They surely relished having the chance to work together again on this project. The party was  fun and crazy, just like the parties they used to have. They binged on food generously provided by the two and drowned in bottles of soju and wine. By 3AM, the only persons left standing were So Min and Hyun Joong. So Min wasn't drunk because she hardly drank knowing her low tolerance for alcohol, Hyun Joong, on the other hand, had such a high alcohol tolerance that he remained sober even after downing several bottles of soju.

"Hey, still sober?" Hyun Joong asked So Min, as he moved to sit beside her, holding a bottle of soju in his right hand. "I only drank half a glass of the cocktail Jaehyung made for me. You know me, I really can't drink." "Yeah, I remember. You're the only girlfriend I've had who wasn't a drunkard," Hyun Joong replied with a chuckle. Then he looked at So Min with fondness as he added, in a more serious tone, "I guess that's one of the many reasons why you're the only one my parents really liked for me."

This made So Min a bit uncomfortable. She stood up to bid him goodbye and retire for the night. But Hyun Joong held her arm and stopped her. "Please stay. Keep me company," he said softly, and with almost no confidence in his voice. So Min turned to face him. She really wants nothing more than to return to the safety of her hotel suite but there was something in the way he looked at her that made her sit again and stay.

They spent the next few minutes in silence, both staring ahead, lost in their own thoughts.

It was Hyun Joong who spoke first, "So Min, I know that a lot of bad things has happened between us, and I've hurt you countless times. I'm really sorry. I hope that you can at least learn to forgive me. But I somehow feel that even that may be too much to ask. If it were up to me, and if I have the power to do it, I would turn back time and wipe every tear you've shed from all the pain I've caused you, I'd  take you to P241, if there's really such a planet, so we could start all over again. But I know all that is impossible."

So Min turned to face him, trying to read into the sincerity and sadness evident on his face. She knows he's being sincere and it just melts her heart. Hyun Joong held her face with both hands. "Don't look at me that way, I'm not drunk." He caressed her cheek as he continued to talk, "you, you're the best thing that has ever happened to me. I hate myself for messing things up between us. I screwed up, and now I have to live with the pain caused by that mistake every single day. I know it's over between us, there's no way I can make it up to you. Just please be happy. And don't be mad at me anymore."

"Even though we can't be lovers again I want you to remember that you'll always be my best friend and I will always care for you. If, some day, you find yourself needing a shoulder to cry on, just come to me, I'll be there for you, remember that okay?" So Min was too stunned to speak. They hugged each other tight, and silently cried on each other's shoulder. Then So Min lifted her head and gave Hyun Joong a soft kiss on the cheek.

"It's almost 5AM now, Oppa. I need to rest. My flight back to Seoul is at 9. You should rest too. Goodbye, Oppa." Hyun Joong let her go for the last time.


*****

It's two hours before the highly-anticipated Press Conference. Both So Min and Hyun Joong were already at the venue, being prepped in their respective dressing rooms. The street at the back of the hotel has been cordoned-off to prevent the media and fans from seeing and identifying the stars making their way to the basement parking area.

The event organizer handling the Press Conference gathered the actors and crew for their pre-conference briefing. Hyun Joong arrived at the function room before So Min, he was made to sit between Steven and the American assistant director. Just before the briefing started So Min entered the room looking lovely in an elegant Chanel dress adorned only by a diamond encrusted bracelet and drop-dead Louboutins. Her hair was swept in a lose bun that highlighted her flawless face with barely-there make-up. She looked like the modern-day princess that she is in real life. She was smiling when she entered the room, but it wasn't her beauty nor her elegance that caught Hyun Joong's eyes. He felt her sadness as he looked at her.

So Min saw Hyun Joong giving her that knowing look and she knew instantly that he could sense her sadness. Maybe they never really lost their connection that's why they could still feel what the other is feeling. She smiled at him then looked away. After the briefing, they all stood up to go to their dressing rooms for a final touch-up before the start of the Press Conference.

Hyun Joong took the opportunity to walk beside her and ask if she is okay. "I'm okay, Oppa, just a bit overwhelmed, I guess. Anyway, good luck to us later." Hyun Joong knows she's not okay but before he could probe her further they were both dragged into their dressing rooms by their respective stylists.

The cameras haven't stopped clicking since the host announced the entrance of the cast, but pandemonium broke loose after Hyun Joong and So Min were introduced as the lead actors and the host called on Steven Spielberg, to the astonishment of the media. As soon as Steven entered the room every person there realized just how much of a big deal this movie is to the entire Korean entertainment industry.

The questions centered around the movie's budget, the story, the never-before-seen special effects, and how they were able to keep everything in secret. The Koreans were asked about how they felt while working on the movie and the effect the success of this movie would have on K-entertainment.

But there was one reporter who was keen on finding out something else. He's a rookie writer from Sports Chosun and his editor just called after learning of the cast members. He ordered him to ask So Min and Hyun Joong about their love lives. It's finally his turn to ask two questions.

"This question is for Kim Hyun Joong-shi. Sir, you've said before that you haven't settled down to raise your own family yet because you're still not satisfied with your career accomplishments. Now that you're part of this movie your career has certainly taken a big leap, does this mean we will be seeing you settling down soon?"

"Thank you very much for showing so much interest in our movie," Hyun Joong playfully said, earning guffaws from the audience and causing the rookie writer to turn red. "You're from Sports Chosun, right? That's my favorite newspaper. I always buy because I don't want to miss out on any of your articles about me. Please tell your editor I said hi," Hyun Joong said with a huge grin on his face. By now everyone in the room is laughing. It's no secret that Hyun Joong has an ongoing feud with the Paper. Not a month goes by without Sports Chosun releasing a scandal about Hyun Joong. The Paper has published photos of him while drunk, while making out with different women at clubs and, at one point, while being chased by a woman in a secluded neighborhood, wearing nothing but a small towel wrapped around his waist. Good thing all the photos were blurred so his agency was always able to deny that he's the one captured in the photos.

"I did say that I would get married once I feel my career is stable enough. Being part of this movie is truly a big deal for me, it has made me so happy and fulfilled. I'd surely love to get married soon, I'm getting old, unfortunately, no one wants to marry me. I think they've all been reading your newspaper," he said with a chuckle. "In case you know of anyone who'd be interested to marry me, please introduce her to me, I'll give you my number later," he added in his inimitable 4D way, putting everyone in the room in stitches.

The rookie writer could only bow his head in embarrassment but he still had a job to do so he took the mic again. "My next question is for Jung So Min-shi. "Ma'am you've been engaged for several years now. Now that you've done this movie do you think you can finally take the time to marry Samsung heir Lee Dong Won-shi?"

Hyun Joong was eyeing So Min intently as the writer asked his question, he clearly saw a shadow pass across her face as soon as she realized the question being asked. But she was quick not to lose her composure and replied with a meek smile.

"I have been very busy lately not just with this film but with my performing career as well, so I'm very sorry that I haven't had the chance to let you know that Lee Dong Won-shi and I have decided to break off our engagement. It was a mutual decision and we're still friends. I hope for your understanding as I can't reveal any more about this matter. I also hope that you would respect Dong Won-shi and his family's privacy as they are not in this business and are very private and conservative people," So Min replied, cleverly hiding the pain that was piercing through her heart.

But Hyun Joong could certainly feel the pain that the actress sitting beside him was trying to hide. There was nothing he could do but to hold her cold, shaking hand under the table.