Chapter XIII – Once Again

Another Time, Another Place

 

So Min's reverie was cut short by her manager's arrival. "So Min, if you're ready, join us for breakfast by the poolside. All the Korean crew members are there. We have the rest of the morning off. Let's relax a bit," her manager said.

So Min followed him outside. She is wearing a tight-fitting red string halter top and white short-shorts. Her hair flowed about her carelessly, giving her that disheveled, y look.

Hyun Joong, who was already having breakfast with the crew, was taken aback when he saw her arrive.  If this were the old So Min, she won't even leave her room after what transpired between them last night and this morning. But this So Min is a stranger to him. She was smiling brightly, looking like she didn't have a care in the world as she approached the table, taking the sit directly in front of him.

'God, I really want her back, she is so gorgeous,' Hyun Joong thought. Despite everything he said to her this morning, he realized he doesn’t have any willpower to control what he is feeling towards her. He wants her back and he's determined to make her want him again. He was a bit unsettled that his presence did not seem to affect her one bit, forgetting the fact that, over the years, she has become a really good actress who can easily hide her real emotions.

They were eating and chatting with the crew when So Min's phone rang. "Hello, oh, Grandma! How are you? I miss you so much," So Min was just too happy to hear her Grandma's voice.

"Of course I'll be there! How can I miss your birthday! I'm flying to Busan on the day itself; I've already fixed my schedule. Who? Hyun Joong? Yeah, he's here. You want to talk to him? Oh, okay," So Min reluctantly handed over the phone to Hyun Joong. "It's my Grandma, she wants to speak to you," she said.

Hyun Joong grabbed the phone and immediately worked his charm on the old lady. Ever since their first meeting in Busan many years ago, Hyun Joong has been close to So Min's Grandma. Even after they broke up the old woman still treated Hyun Joong like her own grandson. He would come to visit her whenever he had the chance, he just had to make sure So Min was nowhere near when he did. That her Grandma is a certified, card-carrying Henecian is an unfortunate fact that So Min has to live and deal with every day after their break-up. Her Grandma never stopped asking her about Hyun Joong and when they would get back to gether. She was elated when she found out that she and Hyun Joong will be working together on t his project. “It’s fate,” she said.

"Yes, Grandma, of course I remember your birthday, how can I forget it? Yes, I'll be there, I'll come with So Min if that's what you like, we'll both be coming from the location shoot anyway. Okay, I love you Grandma, I'll see you soon!" Hyun Joong handed back the phone to So Min, who was now glaring at him. He had a huge, naughty smile on his face. 'You can't get rid of me now, my dear, I want you back and Grandma will surely help me get you back!' Hyun Joong thought, smiling to himself.

Hyun Joong finished eating. He stood up, made his way to So Min, ruffled her hair and, to everyone's surprise, kissed her on the cheek. "I'll see you later, Honey," he said as he walked off. 

So Min was surprised by his action but she pretended not to be affected by it. She went to her room followed by her manager and stylist. As soon as the door closed her manager asked her what's going on between her and Hyun Joong. "Nothing, nothing's going on!" "Are you sure? Then why are you so tensed?"

"Okay, fine! We slept together last night! I don't know what got into me. But that's it! It's not gonna happen again, nothing has changed," So Min screamed the words, letting out all her frustration-- she was disappointed in Hyun Joong and herself. She sat on the bed crying while her stylist tried to comfort her. They did not say a word to her knowing how fragile she is at the moment. But they know the situation between the two has drastically changed.

The afternoon shoot went by without a glitch. But one thing was noticeably different. Hyun Joong paid extra attention to So Min--assisting her whenever he could, giving her water, pulling out her chair, sitting beside her, telling jokes and being extra sweet and touchy. So Min couldn't really brush him off for fear of causing trouble to the film crew. She knew Hyun Joong well enough to know that if she tries to openly reject him, he would be the diva that he is and make life hard for everyone of them. 

As soon as her scenes were done, she went straight to her room to rest and to avoid Hyun Joong. Hyun Joong still had a couple of scenes to do, giving her enough time to just rest and be by herself. But soon enough Hyun Joong was knocking on her door. Her manager tried to block him from entering but he was determined to go in and see her. He went straight to her bedroom and sat on the bed beside So Min who was pretending to sleep. He brushed the hair from her face and kissed her forehead. He then lay down next to her, scooping her in his arms and nuzzling his face on her neck. It was just too much for So Min to bear. She stirred and slyly tried to push him away but he tightened his grip on her. "It's okay, just go back to sleep, I'll just stay here with you," he gently cooed. "Oppa, what are you doing here? I thought we've talked about this? Please don't do this," she pleaded as she tried to push him away. But he wouldn't budge. So Min had no choice but to wait for him to fall asleep. Alas, she fell asleep first.

He looked at her lovingly, he was more determined than ever to make her realize that they belong together. He knows it's going to be a tough task but he's willing to do whatever it takes to win her heart once again. Just this morning he gave instructions to his manager to have his numbers changed. He's also called his office in Seoul to look for a new place for him. He is determined to lose contact with all the women he's currently entangled with.   

It was a necessary first step in a long process that he had to go through to straighten out his life. He wants to prove to So Min that he can change and she can rely on him.

They slept there on her bed, unconsciously comforted by the familiar warmth and tenderness they have deprived themselves of for the past 5 years. For Hyun Joong, it was the first time in years that he's slept comfortably. The way So Min felt and smelled under his embrace gave him a sense of security and belonging that he never found in any of the women he dated after she left him.

So Min woke up in the middle of the night to find Hyun Joong sleeping soundly beside her.  She held his face and took in the handsome features that were illuminated by the soft rays of the bedside lamp. He looked like an angel, no doubt an evil one, if there is such a thing. So Min chuckled at a vision of an angelic Hyun Joong with red devil's horns stuck inside his halo.

She loves him, there's no denying that. She realized she has always loved everything about him, including his shortcomings. But she's not sure they have what it takes to give their relationship a second chance. And besides, she's still engaged. She felt guilty after realizing she has completely forgotten her fiancé in her frenzied preoccupation with Hyun Joong these past couple of days.

Her heart sank, she loves Hyun Joong but she also knows she can't just let Dong Won down. He has done so much for her. It will be unfair to him, especially because of the high profile nature of their relationship. The last thing she wants is to cause a scandal that would involve Dong Won and his family. 

She was at a loss; she doesn't know what to do. On one hand, she knows that her love for Hyun Joong is big enough for her to take a stab at giving him another chance despite the risks and hardships involved, but, on the other hand, there was Dong Won and her sense of responsibility towards him. There's also her career to think about. She definitely can't afford another scandal at this point.

She sighed and snuggled close to Hyun Joong. She'll think about her dilemma tomorrow. But tonight, she'll stay here and indulge herself in the comforting warmth of Hyun Joong's arms.