Chapter XIV - The Diva

Another Time, Another Place

 

So Min was awakened by something tickling her neck. She opened her eyes and was surprised to find Hyun Joong planting hungry kisses on her nape and neck. She tried to sit up and push him away. "Oppa, why are you doing this?! Please stop!" "I need you So Min, please don't resist. You like this too, please don't resist me anymore," he said, his voice gentle and full of emotion as he continued to kiss and hug her. So Min wanted to keep resisting him but her body has a mind of its own and soon she was responding to his touch. They both got lost in the moment, they ended up making love until it was time to get up.

So Min got up from the bed and went straight to the bathroom to take a shower. As she was drying her hair Hyun Joong came up from behind her and hugged her tight. He rained soft kisses on her cheek and neck, catching her by surprise. "Good morning, Honey, you look so beautiful this morning, hmm, you smell so good, too," he said as he kept on kissing her. "Shouldn't you be getting ready now? You're on in half an hour," So Min reminded him, pretending to ignore his affectionate advances.

"You're right, I should be getting ready. But what can I do, I can't stop myself from touching you," he whispered in her ear as he tightened his grip on her.

"OPPA!" So Min stomped to face him, showing him she means business. "Fine, I'll go," he reluctantly said, pulling her closer to him and giving her a light peck on the forehead before letting her go.     

"See you later," he said with a wink as he stepped out of the room. So Min was left staring at the mirror in disbelief.  She was mad. Not at Hyun Joong but at herself for giving in to his charms. She was stomping her feet and muffling her screams like a bratty little girl. She should have been more careful. She knows him too well to know that there's no way she can escape him once he sets his mind on getting her attention and affection. It is a known fact in all Korea that a determined Hyun Joong can charm anyone--from your gay bestfriend to your grandmother! Her grandmother, specifically.

So Min was glad that they don't have to shoot any scenes together that day. Her scenes were to be shot at another part of the island, far from where Hyun Joong will be shooting his scenes. It would take a 20-minute drive to get from one location to the other. The scenes have to be shot in succession so they won't have any time to interact during the day.

But this did not stop Hyun Joong from constantly calling her and asking how she's doing. Around noon he called again to ask if she can have a quick lunch with him. "Oppa! I only have a 15-minute break, we have to keep shooting to take advantage of the sunlight! I already told you this, you're so annoying!" So Min said exasperated. "Okay, I get it, don't get mad, I only wanted to spend some time with you. I'll just see you later," Hyun Joong said. Unfortunately for So Min, today isn't her lucky day.

As soon as he hung up the phone Hyun Joong's manager came to tell him that the afternoon schedule has changed, there were some scenes that need to be shot first before his next scene. It won't be until 4pm before he's needed back on the set. 

This made him very happy. He has enough time to visit So Min and surprise her. He'll just bring food so they can eat together. Unknown to him, while he's at the resort restaurant waiting for the food he ordered, So Min was getting another surprise at the other side of the island.

So Min was relaxing in her trailer, enjoying her 2-hour break. (She just lied to Hyun Joong because she doesn't want to see him until she's sorted out her feelings.) Her schedule that morning has been too hectic she hasn't had time to think. She hasn't even thought of an excuse to use to keep him out of her bed tonight.

Her peace was shattered when her trailer door opened to reveal Dong Won. He's taken time off his busy schedule to visit her because he misses her so much. He plans to stay on the island for the next three days!

"Hey, Baby, suprise!" "Dong Won! What are you doing here?" "Well I miss you a lot so I freed up my schedule to spend the next 3 days with you," Dong Won explained as he hugged and kissed her passionately.         

So Min put her acting ability to good use and returned Dong Won's hugs and kisses with equal fervor. But, first, she gave her manager a questioning look. But her manager, who was as surprised as she was at Dong Won's appearance, could only shrug to express his ignorance.

"So, are you happy to see me?" Dong Won asked while keeping his arms around her. "Of course I'm happy, I miss you too," so Min said. It wasn't entirely a lie, she did miss him as she's realizing now, but her mind also can't stop thinking of Hyun Joong and worrying about how he'll react once he sees Dong Won on the island.

They were still locked in an embrace when Hyun Joong flung her trailer door open.

"Oh, sorry, am I interrupting anything?" Hyun Joong calmly asked. His heart was beating out of his chest and he could feel his blood boiling but he kept his composure. He cannot afford  to act rashly, certainly not in front of this guy!

"Hyun Joong, come in, by the way, this is Dong Won, my fiance," the shocked So Min responded just as calmly. The two men greeted each other. So Min could feel Hyun Joong becoming more livid by the second. She tried to ease the growing tension by making small talk about how Dong Won came to surprise her. She wanted him to know she did not ask Dong Won to come to the island.

The situation was becoming too hot to handle, Hyun Joong saw it fit to say his goodbye. "Well, I just came to look around in this area, here I brought you lunch. I'll go first and check out the place," Hyun Joong said as he stormed out of So Min's trailer.

It hasn't been 3 minutes since he left when So Min's phone rang. It was Hyun Joong. So Min answered it right away to keep Dong Won from getting suspicious. "Hello," she said softly. "If bringing him here is your way of pissing me off, well, congratulations, you have succeeded! But don't think that I'll let it pass!" Hyun Joong sarcastically said before hanging up, he did not even give her a chance to say anything.

So Min got scared after hearing Hyun Joong's stern warning. She knows when he's really livid. She kept wondering about what he might do.

After talking to So Min, Hyun Joong called his manager and asked him to tell the production head that he is displeased with Dong Won's visit and is leaving on the first flight the following day. He doesn't want to shoot any more scenes. Simple as that!

The production staff panicked. They never expected any of the Korean superstars to act like their Hollywood counterparts. Their experience with the insanely polite Korean actors has been very good, until now.

When Steven was told about the situation he did not appear surprised at all. "Well, you should have prepared for something like this, Kim Hyun Joong is currently the biggest superstar in all of Asia, he has the right to act up at some point," was all he said as he bid his team to resolve the issue in the shortest possible time.

The production team hurriedly called on Hyun Joong's team to ask what caused the actor's sudden outburst. Hyun Joong's manager explained that he is pissed off that someone who doesn't belong to the production team is now staying at the resort, invading his privacy and putting the whole production at risk of being exposed before they are ready to release any publicity about the project. His reason was not reasonable enough, as expected. But then, as Steven said, he is a superstar and has every right to act like one.

Ladies & Gentlemen, meet Mr. Kim Hyun Joong, the first and fiercest Korean superstar diva to land in Hollywood!

The two parties came to an agreement that the production staff will prevent Dong Won from getting a room at the resort or any other place on the island. He will also be banned from the shooting premises for the rest of the day. And he has to fly out of the island tonight, if they want Hyun Joong to stay.

While all this was happening Dong Won was happily watching So Min act out her scenes not knowing that he just caused trouble for the entire production. So Min, on the other hand, put herself on work-mode and pushed away all stressful thoughts from her mind. She also doesn't have any idea that trouble was brewing.    

"So Min, there's an emergency situation, I need to talk to you in private," her manager frantically said as soon as she was done filming her last scene for the day.

"What is it?" Her manager told her what happened and how the whole production crew is in a panic because of Hyun Joong's threat. 

So Min turned numb upon hearing this. Hyun Joong has always been known to hide his feelings and be diplomatic even in the most difficult situations. He would rather suffer in silence and drink himself to death or lose himself in an with his favorite females than succumb to a public emotional outburst. For him to act this way now only means that he has completely lost it. This scared the hell out of So Min. A mad Hyun Joong is a very scary Hyun Joong, as she already knows from experience.

She immediately talked to Dong Won and explained to him why he can't stay on the island without revealing anything about Hyun Joong's sudden outburst. She felt guilty for somehow causing the situation and the last thing she wants is for Dong Won to think that Hyun Joong is immature and crazy. Well, he is, but she cares for him enough to protect his image, especially in front of Dong Won.

"Baby, I really miss you and I'm glad you're here but I'm afraid you have to leave. As you know this whole production is shrouded in secrecy, because of that none of the stars or crew have invited visitors on the set. I hope you understand, but you know how stars are, I really don't want any of them to feel uncomfortable because of your presence. I don't know how these people from Hollywood would take to seeing you here. Please do this for me as a favor," So Min hugged Dong Won as she said this.

Dong Won felt sad but he also knows that he has to give in to So Min's request. He admits he doesn't completely understand her profession and the way superstars behave. He just needs to trust So Min's judgment.

"Okay, Babe, if that's what you think I should do, I will do it for you, I'll leave tonight," he said grudgingly.

"Thank you, this means a lot to me, I love you," So Min hugged Dong Won. She was feeling guilty for lying to him and pretending nothing is wrong with their relationship. She knows it's too early to rock the boat since she's not sure where her current situation with Hyun Joong will lead.

She had dinner with Dong Won before she accompanied him to the island's airstrip, where his private plane was waiting. They bid their goodbyes before So Min took off to face Hyun Joong who has been creating havoc at the resort since afternoon.

Hyun Joong has been drinking since he arrived at the resort. His manager, bodyguards and staff couldn't stop him from trashing his room. Only Mr. Jeong was brave enough to stay in the suite with him, while the rest of his crew stayed outside, by the door, hoping and praying that nothing more violent would take place inside.

For the first time in his life Hyun Joong gave in to his violent tendencies, he trashed the room, throwing wine bottles and beer cans all over the place as soon as he was done with them. He found the whole crazy exercise quite liberating, it was as if this is the emotional release he's been hoping for all these years. He can't stop himself. And he doesn't want to. Plus, it helps him feel a little numb to the stabbing pain in his heart.   

The whole place looks like a scene straight out of a war zone. Lamps, vases and chandeliers lay broken on the floor of the room that now reeked of alcohol. Wine stains and cigarette butts and burns were all over the carpet, bed and the sofa. Hyun Joong has been screaming and throwing anything he could get his hands on, venting his anger on the hapless Mr. Jeong who was desperately trying to calm him.

So Min arrived outside Hyun Joong's suite, she heard strange and scary noises coming from inside the room. She was about to go in when Hyun Joong's manager blocked her. "I don't think it's a good idea to walk in there right now."

"How long has he been like this?" So Min asked. "He's been like this since he came back this afternoon, this is the first time anything like this has happened. Please fix this when he's sober, So Min, I don't want to see him hurting and angry like this.  As you know he is still not emotionally stable," his manager pleaded.

"I'm going in."